• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting that XSS also has RT, VGtech also didnt find any RT on their XSS. So maybe its new, or both just happened to miss it by mistake, could also be a storage issue, as its very limited on the console, and the RT simply didn't install.

I can see RT shadows in the VGT video. However, I'm also seeing the muzzle flashes not appearing in their video as well for the Series S. I'm almost certain at this point that a recent update might've porked things up for both the Series X and S. The only video without any issues seems to be this one and it's the oldest video from 12 days ago.

www.youtube.com

COD Black OPS: Cold War | One - OneX - Series S - Series X | Graphics & FPS Comparison

Music by ZERAVI: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P02u5bpuGwc

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2019
Hamburg- Germany
Cold war
Right, but I just started the download on my own Series S, and the RT pack is automatically checked to download. So why didn't it work for Tom? That's what we'll investigate. Possibly the system was low on space and optional downloads were missed? We'll know soon.

Probaably the free space was just missing as you mentioned. Althoug sometimes I need to manually check for updates and packs as my Series X sometimes does not offer me those for some reason. The last update for Cold War for example didn't show up even a day after until I manually checked and updated.

Temperance

Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
Correct. The pictures from VG Tech clearly show this:

cw-sp-ps5-rt-test-5-8v1k55.png

cw-sp-ps5-rt-test-5-1nmkx0.png

And in the description to their video:

So clearly a bug, or some weird issue. It's crazy how some in this thread are so very quick to amplify it as "XSX better at raytracing", even when DF are saying they encountered the drops incredibly infrequently (like, the two times it was shown). Outside this extremely odd behaviour - which no matter what it is, is certainly not indicative of a lack of power - the 60fps+RT mode performs identically on both systems.

www.youtube.com

Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Frame Rate Comparison

Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S frame rate comparison comparing the games framerate/fps in the campaign using the 120fps and Ray Traci...
Very interesting, I turned RT off as I encountered these dips and didn't enjoy them. Maybe should have kept them on for the campaign.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Here we go boys

Some details

-60fps with Raytracing runs better on Series X
-120fps which disables RT runs better on PS5
-Series S looks and runs great at 60fps, no RT option
-They really like the dualsense support on PS5

For more please support the channel and watch the full video.

You should put that in the OP now that we found out the framerate drops on PS5 in the RT mode are most probably a bug. Here we have actual data showing it.

Those drops into the forties on PS5 with RT on seem to be a bug as they don't consistently happen https://bit.ly/2IHsqPN
Correct. The pictures from VG Tech clearly show this:

cw-sp-ps5-rt-test-5-8v1k55.png

cw-sp-ps5-rt-test-5-1nmkx0.png

And in the description to their video:

So clearly a bug, or some weird issue. It's crazy how some in this thread are so very quick to amplify it as "XSX better at raytracing", even when DF are saying they encountered the drops incredibly infrequently (like, the two times it was shown). Outside this extremely odd behaviour - which no matter what it is, is certainly not indicative of a lack of power - the 60fps+RT mode performs identically on both systems.

www.youtube.com

Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Frame Rate Comparison

Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S frame rate comparison comparing the games framerate/fps in the campaign using the 120fps and Ray Traci...

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
This is what I saw when I downloaded the game to my Series X

20201124-091331.jpg

Weird that it seems the series S doesn't download the file automatically

FancyPants

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It's so weird that they're locking the options screen to exclusively fetching 120hz mode from the system menu on PS5. I was scratching my head over the greyed out options for so long. Also, the separate non-automatic RT downloads on Xbox? What are the devs doing here?

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You should put that in the OP now that we found out the framerate drops on PS5 in the RT mode are most probably a bug. Here we have actual data showing it.

I did say earlier in the thread I'd imagine those drops were more likely to be a bug or something non load related, as there's not a lot going on in the said given scenes to warrant frame drops.

Usually if it's GPU load related, there will be something intense or especially taxing going on in the scene, eg a huge number of enemies, crazy amounts of destruction and effects, an unusual draw distance or amount of geometry etc, but that isn't happening here.

My guess is the momentary drops are some call or streaming issue or something, especially given the same drops don't always occur in the exact same scenes.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
They NEVER said same GPU.

They clearly said it was a 4TF console. To be honest, anyone who thought a 4TF console would have the same graphics as a 12TF console, just because the resolution was lower, misled themselves and just didn't do any research on how GPUs work. That has never been the case for GPUs with such a gulf between them in realm of desktop GPUs.

Blaming Microsoft for one's own ignorance only travels so far. The information is out there to be found and anyone who hangs out on Era has heard it said a thousand times.

The Series S GPU is slower than the lower end of RDNA1 desktop GPUs (5.2TF 5500 XT). You were clearly expecting something out of it that it is not.
By same GPU I meant RDNA2.

And make no mistake, I never thought that it would be enough. Hell, I along with others tried to warn people lol.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I did say earlier in the thread I'd imagine those drops were more likely to be a bug or something non load related, as there's not a lot going on in the said given scenes to warrant frame drops.

Usually if it's GPU load related, there will be something intense and especially taxing going on in the scene, eg a huge number of enemies, crazy amounts of destruction and effects etc, but that isn't happening here. My guess is the momentary drops are some call or streaming issue or something, especially given the same drops don't always occur in the exact same scenes.
My bet is that DRS does not activate sometimes until late.

NXGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Those drops into the forties on PS5 with RT on seem to be a bug as they don't consistently happen https://bit.ly/2IHsqPN
Yes, I was going to say this as well. The game has some random bugs on all versions, Motion Blur can freak out and set the entire world with an almost DoF pass so it looks like you need to rub your eyes.

Losing Input for a second suddenly or crashing out to dash.

Sudden dips(like this) so it is making testing inconsistent.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
This is most likely gonna be the closest console generation ever, both in terms of capabilities and performance.

With all the updates and bug findings this basically washes out to all 3 systems comfortably hitting their performance targets with excellent visuals, and potentially minor individual wins in different categories.

COD isn't really my jam anymore but they are damn impressive games so it's good to see these results.

NinjaTrouiLLe

Nov 27, 2017
So in the end both versions are 100% identical?
lol

Im not sure why this would come as a surprise tbh. Everyone well informed consistently saidboth consoles were pretty powerful, and never 2 consoles of same generation were so close in terms of raw performance.
Very likely the common denominator is extremely similar, but we have to wait for full 1st party games (not crossgen) to really tap into each individual hardware advantages (velocity architecture or geometry engine).
That's some very good news really.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Im not sure why this would come as a surprise tbh. Everyone well informed consistently saidboth consoles were pretty powerful, and never 2 consoles of same generation were so close in terms of raw performance.
Very likely the common denominator is extremely similar, but we have to wait for full 1st party games (not crossgen) to really tap into each individual hardware advantages (velocity architecture or geometry engine).
That's some very good news really.
I know, it's just funny how before people realizing it was a bug both versions were 99% identical and now they are 100%.
And yeah, it's good news.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I'm really not a CoD guy at all, but I'm tempted to give it a shot, especially with the DualSense support, that seemed great.
All around seems like a pretty well done game technically on both platforms, too.

They NEVER said same GPU.

They clearly said it was a 4TF console. To be honest, anyone who thought a 4TF console would have the same graphics as a 12TF console, just because the resolution was lower, misled themselves and just didn't do any research on how GPUs work. That has never been the case for GPUs with such a gulf between them in realm of desktop GPUs.

Blaming Microsoft for one's own ignorance only travels so far. The information is out there to be found and anyone who hangs out on Era has heard it said a thousand times.

The Series S GPU is slower than the lower end of RDNA1 desktop GPUs (5.2TF 5500 XT). You were clearly expecting something out of it that it is not.
Microsoft's marketing does deserve a lot of flack over that 1440p claim, because that was clearly going to be mostly bullshit.
Their communication while might not have been explicit, did try to paint the differences as only resolution.

I would say, though, for the most part, this expectation was popularized by fans more so than Microsoft themselves.
If anyone goes through the many threads on ERA on this subject, there'll be a lot of posts affirming that the games will be identical to the X and the only difference will be resolution, "because that's how it works on PC," even though that totally is not how it works on PC. But I digress.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
those couple drops in the 40s for PS5 are irrelevant, both for the experience (it's few and only last like one second each) and for the technical analysis, since they don't appear to be caused by anything special happening onscreen, so most likely a bug or something hanging up while streaming assets or whatever.
XSX and PS5 are 99,9% the same here.

DuvalDevil

Nov 18, 2020
Glad to hear that issues on Series S and PS5 are gonna get fixed or are a non issue. Its good for all players. Dont understand that wish that something has to better. Enjoy the next gen on the console of your choice.

jikevgw

Jan 22, 2020
I have a lg CX 65" plus xsx and ps5 . With vrr cod , dmc , and assassins run smooth on the xsx . I think digital foundry should show the difference for the people who have this tv .