• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
Also according to this test, from old XB1/XB1X to XSS/XSX, all 4 version do have gun smoke(starting 8:47 is chopper scene).

The funny thing is someone brought it up earlier than myself in this thread and he was ignored, lol. The other funny thing is that DeBit's video came out 12 days ago.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I just saw this on reddit. Bullshit or no??

VnfOxJ1.jpg

Dark1x
Time to threadmark? Dictator Something seems to be gone wrong on DF Series S.
Seems like tools issue on PS5 :D
Definitely /s
You know what the difference is? Reliable insiders talking about how awesome the PS5 tools are, while reporting issues with the new Xbox tools. That's why there are some people talking about tools and I don't know what's wrong with that. Unless we shouldn't trust resetera or other insiders anymore in anything.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm that Series S thing, if true, seems like an honest mistake, but is one of the bigger oversights i can think of from a DF video. Hope they just private the video while they triple check, it's not entirely fair to the devs if they leave it up and it's wrong.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Why did you expect RT to be better on PS5?

I am not 100% sure, but that's in line with my expectations. The PS5 GPU runs faster, thus there is a advantage in 120FPS mode. Meanwhile RT favours CU a bit more iirc and thus Xbox has the better RT performance. I think overall this seems to be a game with good ports for both consoles. With one or two bugs here and there.
I was under the impression that ray tracing on Series X was coming in extremely hot, or it wouldn't be ready launch. Things like Halo Infinite (before it was delayed) not launching with ray tracing, and DMCV Special Edition saying ray tracing would come via a later patch on Series X (though I think this turned out not to be the case?).

It's not that I think Series X isn't as capable as PS5 -- quite the opposite. I was just bracing for things not to be 100% ready at launch. I fully expect Series X to have incredibly impressive ray tracing implementations in future releases. And it's great to see it's already handling it well.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
Correct. The pictures from VG Tech clearly show this:

cw-sp-ps5-rt-test-5-8v1k55.png

cw-sp-ps5-rt-test-5-1nmkx0.png

And in the description to their video:

So clearly a bug, or some weird issue. It's crazy how some in this thread are so very quick to amplify it as "XSX better at raytracing", even when DF are saying they encountered the drops incredibly infrequently (like, the two times it was shown). Outside this extremely odd behaviour - which no matter what it is, is certainly not indicative of a lack of power - the 60fps+RT mode performs identically on both systems.

www.youtube.com

Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Frame Rate Comparison

Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S frame rate comparison comparing the games framerate/fps in the campaign using the 120fps and Ray Traci...

This is actually pretty interesting. So other than this bug that doesn't show up everytime, the XsX and the PS5 are pretty much identical in the 60fps RT mode while the PS5 has a slight edge in the 120fps mode.

It's weird that the bug on the PS5 doesn't show on every run. Might it be a cache thing?
Anyways it seems like the tools have room to improve on both systems.

I have to say that I'm already positively surprised by the performance on these machines. I think we are in for an absolutely stellar generation.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

This guys is pretty informative and impartial. I don't know anyone else who's corroborated these details though. But maybe worth keeping in mind. He thinks the PS5 performs better under CPU load so far - whether that's an API bottleneck, toolkit issue, or the hardware itself.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm that Series S thing, if true, seems like an honest mistake, but is one of the bigger oversights i can think of from a DF video. Hope they just private the video while they triple check, it's not entirely fair to the devs if they leave it up and it's wrong.

Honest mistake I'm sure, if it is a mistake here, but there's more places than ERA shitting on the Series S from DF's video.

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020

This guys is pretty informative and impartial. I don't know anyone else who's corroborated these details though. But maybe worth keeping in mind. He thinks the PS5 performs better under CPU load so far - whether that's an API bottleneck, toolkit issue, or the hardware itself.

Damn if that's the case, then is COD cold war really the one neutral game where no platform comes out a clear winner? Interesting gen we have coming.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Seems to be the first game tested so far that maintains a pretty solid 120fps (think Gears 5 did too) across both consoles. Results from other games were making me a bit doubtful it was worth it, but this proves they can make it there!

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I think Series S actually runs really well. In scenes where the xbox one X starts to drop frames consistently the series S stays strong while looking better.

Will be interesting to see DF analysis if they do get it running with RT.

People think the the series S will hold back next gen, but once support for ps4/xbox one is dropped I think the console will hold its own.

rahzel

Oct 27, 2017
This generation seems like it's going to be XSX/PS5 trading blows, even within the same game. But in the end, the differences seem like they will be minor and we'll be putting these games under a microscope more than ever. So owning one console over the other strictly for multiplatform games doesn't seem like the way to go either way. But I still find it interesting seeing which version excels in what area.

As for CoD, it seems like the closest game we've seen so far.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Time to threadmark? Dictator Something seems to be gone wrong on DF Series S.
Definitely /s
You know what the difference is? Reliable insiders talking about how awesome the PS5 tools are, while reporting issues with the new Xbox tools. That's why there are some people talking about tools and I don't know what's wrong with that. Unless we shouldn't trust resetera or other insiders anymore in anything.
Chill man I am just joking.
Plus games are barely taking advantage of new hardware and have tons of issues. Just same scene on vgtech have difference performance for ps5

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I just saw this on reddit. Bullshit or no??

VnfOxJ1.jpg

Dark1x
I'm not usually responding but I've asked Tom to check on this. I have not played or installed the game on Series S myself so I have no idea but it seems plausible. If it's found to be the case, we'll get a second video out showcasing the issue. This would be extremely bizarre, though, as we've never seen an entire option like this locked behind a separate download pack that doesn't download automatically.

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like one of the better launch games in terms of technical performance and polish with only minor issues present. Series S continues to slightly disappoint.

I expect a lot of comparisons to go this way in the coming months and years.

Also, in general, regarding all DF PS5/Series X comparison threads: It doesn't get much more disingenuous than posting a single screenshot out of a comparison video that goes on for 10-20 minutes. This is a poster child example of taking stuff out of context and fishing for reactions with a snapshot that doesn't represent the actual impressions discussed in the video.

Last edited:

mangdo

Banned
Sep 18, 2020
Biggest take away from me is that the incentive to buying a Series S later on this gen (for MSFT exclusives) is constantly lowering.

Again, really exciting to see that the premium consoles are essentially the same, with slight advantage for the XSX in RT mode, and PS5 in 120hz mode.

Like I've said before, this will be a big defining generations for consoles. Looks like the gap between decent gaming PCs and consoles are not as significant anymore...

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I'm not usually responding but I've asked Tom to check on this. I have not played or installed the game on Series S myself so I have no idea but it seems plausible. If it's found to be the case, we'll get a second video out showcasing the issue. This would be extremely bizarre, though, as we've never seen an entire option like this locked behind a separate download pack that doesn't download automatically.
It's definitely bizzare and you wonder what the problem is. It can't be the Xbox One S version either. Seems to just be bugged for whatever reason.

But shout out to your team. You are doing incredible work and it's good to have back on resetera.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

So there is a raytracing data pack to download.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017

Thanks Dark! Much appreciated for the response!

mangdo

Banned
Sep 18, 2020
Thanks John.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Biggest take away from me is that the incentive to buying a Series S later on this gen (for MSFT exclusives) is constantly lowering.
If you had poor performance metrics for exclusive titles to go off now, there might be an argument here.

CoDBlops is on 7(?) different platforms. It really shouldn't be used as a yardstick for anything related to MS first party output.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017

Hey man, we love your work and appreciate everything you guys do. Keep it up!

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
If you had poor performance metrics for exclusive titles to go off now, there might be an argument here.

CoDBlops is on 7(?) different platforms. It really shouldn't be used as a yardstick for anything related to MS first party output.
This and it seems Tom from DF didn't have the RT pack installed by accident.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

So there is a raytracing data pack to download.

Right, but I just started the download on my own Series S, and the RT pack is automatically checked to download. So why didn't it work for Tom? That's what we'll investigate. Possibly the system was low on space and optional downloads were missed? We'll know soon.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Right, but I just started the download on my own Series S, and the RT pack is automatically checked to download. So why didn't it work for Tom? That's what we'll investigate. Possibly the system was low on space and optional downloads were missed? We'll know soon.
The thread on reddit says its abit buggy and that for some people it only worked when doing a full new install. I dont know if thats true.
Could be a OS thing maybe yeah. That the game indeed installs less when you have lower storage space and then more when you have enough. Dont know if that could be a thing.

mangdo

Banned
Sep 18, 2020

Yes, I understand that, but going off what we have so far it's not looking so promising that it'll be pulled off. Maybe ignorant but it doesn't seem like a marked improvement over something like the Xbox One X. I think, rather from what I have seen so far, that I'll probably save up a bit more and get a SX.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I understand that, but going off what we have so far it's not looking so promising that it'll be pulled off. Maybe ignorant but it doesn't seem like a marked improvement over something like the Xbox One X. I think, rather from what I have seen so far, that I'll probably save up a bit more and get a SX.
Lot of focus atm is still on resolution etc. Where Series S and One X arent really competing. The difference will become fast more clear the more we get more games.
Then the CPU, SDD, RDNA2 features really come in to play. Remember the console is already playing for example Watchdogs with raytracing or having 120fps modes within games.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
mangdo
The Xbox One X has lots of RAM bandwidth and GPU grunt. But that's about it and Series S, albeit having a weaker GPU on paper, is more efficient and modern. But the big differences are the CPU and SSD, which will enable new gameplay experiences not possible on Xbox One X.

I think Series X is definitely the better option, if you want a console in the Xbox ecosystem. However I disagree that this isn't a marked improvement over something like the Xbox One X, because the Series S hardware allows games not possible on Xbox One X. It has a huge CPU & I/O advantage and with that a significantly more efficient RAM pool usage.

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
There's some Series S gameplay here and this one definitely looks like is using the RT shadows.

*edit*
If it being time stamped for some reason play it from the beginning.

Last edited:

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Interesting that XSS also has RT, VGtech also didnt find any RT on their XSS. So maybe its new, or both just happened to miss it by mistake, could also be a storage issue, as its very limited on the console, and the RT simply didn't install.

mangdo

Banned
Sep 18, 2020
Lot of focus atm is still on resolution etc. Where Series S and One X arent really competing. The difference will become fast more clear the more we get more games.
Then the CPU, SDD, RDNA2 features really come in to play. Remember the console is already playing for example Watchdogs with raytracing or having 120fps modes within games.
mangdo
The Xbox One X has lots of RAM bandwidth and GPU grunt. But that's about it and Series S, albeit having a weaker GPU on paper, is more efficient and modern. But the big differences are the CPU and SSD, which will enable new gameplay experiences not possible on Xbox One X.

I think Series X is definitely the better option, if you want a console in the Xbox ecosystem. However I disagree that this isn't a marked improvement over something like the Xbox One X, because the Series S hardware allows games not possible on Xbox One X. It has a huge CPU & I/O advantage and with that a significantly more efficient RAM pool usage.
Thanks guys. I'm not planning on getting one of the new Series soon because demand is crazy, but once I do I will have to keep these in mind and also as mentioned before, we'll have a much clearer picture at this point.

I also just have this nagging feeling that Series S versions won't have as much TLC from the devs (hope I'm wrong) - we'll have to see how good GDK ends up being.

mangdo

Banned
Sep 18, 2020
Can someone explain why the XSS has a ray tracing downloadable pack, when RT is presumably done real time? Unless I'm missing something?