• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
drawing conclusions by these early cross-gen games, rushed out in a pandemic is like projecting the winner in an election before the mail in ballots are counted

but get it, it's all we have right now to talk about besides playing the games. regarding these machines

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
NXCtIah.png

QAv7Q7m.png
Urghh wtf.

Ontopic: I turned off rt cause it would drop frames on ps5. Runs much better now

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Just seen a post on Reddit that claims RT is in the Series S version after all.

I don't know how true this. But here are the links i saw.

youtu.be

HOW TO GET CALL OF DUTY COLD WAR HIGH RESOLUTION TEXTURE PACK & RAY TRACING PACK XBOX SERIES S!

WHAT COLD WAR GAME MODE DO YOU WANT ME TO PLAY FIRST OR SERIES S?This is the smallest and BEST Xbox ever i think! only £250!? Pick it up here from my amazon ...

youtu.be

CALL OF DUTY COLD WAR CAMPAIGN ON XBOX SERIES S! COLD WAR CAMPAIGN ECHOES OF A COLD WAR SERIES S!

STEALTH MODE ENGAGED! "ECHOES OF A COLD WAR" MISSION IN THE COLD WAR CAMPAIGN!This is the smallest and BEST Xbox ever i think! only £250!? Pick it up here fr...

Babadook

self-requsted ban
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Obviously the raytracing mode (in scripted sections) has a few optimization issues remaining on PS5. I don't think this is a hardware limitation as the specs wouldn't suggest that. Bugs and issues like this are not surprising considering how new the implementation is. I would not be surprised if the issue gets patched in the weeks ahead. Likewise for the performance dips on XSX 120 hz mode.

Ikarus

Oct 30, 2017
Finished the campaign this weekend. I really enjoyed it. And I'll agree, I really liked the adaptive trigger work Treyarch did.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Y6Na3jo.png

Note the lower LoD models on XSS- The chain gun looks notably less round compared to XSX/PS5. This and other things make me wonder whether feature parity sans resolution is even going to be actually be a thing down the line beyond a rather short sighted marketing point, as more titles shift towards purely next gen development.
IBH.gif

That's really a major, major difference in the gun model there.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
That's absolutely fine. But it was sold as a machine that wouldn't be a compromise in features, only on resolution.
All they ever said was that the Series S would provide the same features as Xbox Series X, but run games at a reduced rendering resolution. When talking features, Jason Ronald spoke of Quick Resume, Velocity Architecture, Zen 2 CPU, and RDNA2. I just watched the Nelson interview.

The marketing never said anything about graphical settings. Purposely I'm sure.

They technically told no lies, but may have been obfuscating. Pure subterfuge.

Leonine

Sep 19, 2020
Looks like a game I should try out on the PS5 with the DualSense support, both versions run well.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
If I were to hazard a guess, the PS5 drops are seem bandwidth related than GPU. There is plethora of alpha effects on screen where the PS5 generally takes a bit of momentary tumble whereas XSX is able to power through with its 560GBps bandwidth (as opposed to PS5's 448GBps). And as is, RT features are bandwidth sensitive as well. I wonder what this signals for future optimizations.

Also:

Y6Na3jo.png

Note the lower LoD models on XSS- The chain gun looks notably less round compared to XSX/PS5. This and other things make me wonder whether feature parity sans resolution is even going to be actually be a thing down the line beyond a rather short sighted marketing point, as more titles shift towards purely next gen development.
I feel like this is worse than last gen Xbox One S vs One X.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
That's not good. Per DF this should not be happening at a notable frequency.
In multiplayer I should specify.
And it wasn't a constant thing. It rarely happens, but it does happen.

Edit: or it might just be a glitch as jiggles mentioned below.

There's a glitch (or what I assume is a glitch) where it feels like the framerate is getting cut in half for a few seconds before rebounding whenever RT is enabled.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
There's a glitch (or what I assume is a glitch) where it feels like the framerate is getting cut in half for a few seconds before rebounding whenever RT is enabled.

In multiplayer I should specify.
And it wasn't a constant thing. It rarely happens, but it does happen.

Edit: or it might just be a glitch as jiggles mentioned below.

Sounds like a bug. I hope this is a known issue to Raven software so that a patch may be in the works.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
But Plato what will we fight and win with now?
lmao clearly random frame drops and a texture here and there and resolution drops that are imperceptible from 10 feet away.
There's no nozzle flash on the Gatling gun either.

What more weird is those gun smokes and nozzle flashes only visible on PS5, not Xbox S/X series X/S.

PS5

XSX
I wonder if Its some kind of bug. Doesn't make sense for one to have muzzle flashes and the other doesnt.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
So Series X has a performance advantage with Ray Tracing turned on, PS5 has a slight advantage in 120fps mode in a couple specific scenes. Seems like basically a wash.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
lmao clearly random frame drops and a texture here and there and resolution drops that are imperceptible from 10 feet away.

I wonder if Its some kind of bug. Doesn't make sense for one to have muzzle flashes and the other doesnt.

Yea, given the raw spec of the XSX, it is unlikely most of the guns have their muzzle flash/smoke removed because of performance bottlenecks.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
All they ever said was that the Series S would provide the same features as Xbox Series X, but run games at a reduced rendering resolution. When talking features, Jason Ronald spoke of Quick Resume, Velocity Architecture, Zen 2 CPU, and RDNA2. I just watched the Nelson interview.

The marketing never said anything about graphical settings. Purposely I'm sure.

They technically told no lies, but may have been obfuscating. Pure subterfuge.
Lol... Ok. This is a good one. Graphical settings is a feature now right?

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Lol... Ok. This is a good one. Graphical settings is a feature now right?
All I'm saying is what was said every time Series S was discussed.

You'll never find a "same graphics at lower resolution" quote from anyone at Microsoft. They only said the same next-gen features in a console that runs at a lower resolution.

There s no lie.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
All I'm saying is what was said every time Series S was discussed.

You'll never find a "same graphics at lower resolution" quote from anyone at Microsoft. They only said the same next-gen features in a console that runs at a lower resolution.

There s no lie.
And what I'm saying is that no one ever says same graphics at lower resolution.

They just highlight a resolution difference and the expectation is always feature parity.

And microsoft alluded to this by saying... The series S is based on the same architecture. Same CPU same GPU, and the highlighted the only differences to be SSD amount, RAM and resolution.

Let's not act like everything in their marketing to this point hasn't suggested that it would have parity with the XSX but just at a lower rez. Hell, it's been marketed as being the same thing but just at a lower rez.

That's not what is happening here.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Y6Na3jo.png

This is what RT shadows do. If you want the game to look like the XSS version, then yeah.

Yeah, that was the bit I meant. The shadows like fade in/out really weirdly on the cliffs with the RT shadows. Its a bad looking distraction imo. Not that no shadows at all like the series s is an ideal solution either of course.

P.S. even the gun model looks worse on series s.

Tragicomedy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine grabbing a screencap of a scene when a gun isn't firing and then arguing about the lack of a muzzle flash or smoke...

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Wish they would've shown more of the raytraced shadows. It's not the most exciting use of raytracing, but it can look pretty good.

tbassett

Jan 8, 2019
These comparisons don't say anything about the potential of either console. It's to early and with 2020 being what it is, it's a miracle any games are being released at all.

Let's see how things shake out next fall.

Right

Nov 24, 2017
I feel like this is the type of feature which once you have it you need to keep it for future installments, at least for the MP. If any future CoD game doesn't have it I'd expect a decent outcry among the people who use it.
If 4 players split screen can be canned then any feature can be cut

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God damn at how PS5 OS handles 120hz for CoD. Why is it so convoluted?

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
God damn at how PS5 OS handles 120hz for CoD. Why is it so convoluted?
I think its just a new UI so there are some kinks. My brother is not feeling the Auto HDR and is bummed that you can only turn it off by turning HDR off completely. For this game its not a problem but every time he wants to play a game that didn't originally have HDR he has to turn it off while on the xbox the auto HDR and regular HDR are 2 separate toggles.

I expect that this and the HDR will be streamlined eventually.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
Dips down to 40fps on PS5 in raytracing mode with Series X showing perfect 60 in the same spots. Interesting. GPU advantage showing up for the first time
Just like the large drops on some SX versions - the specific instances shown look far more likely to be CPU bound than GPU.

If you're looking for significant GPU delta to manifest, expect that to be more sustained, not spiky (in either direction).

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I suppose not many people in this thread have played this game on Series X since the latest patch a few days ago? The game now has severe frame drops with raytracing turned on in both campaign and multiplayer. There's also a bug that locks the game to 30FPS and you have to restart the game to fix it. Levels that were rock solid before now run horribly. The game also crashes the entire Xbox now regularly. It's all widespread and talked about a lot on Twitter and Reddit so surprised no one is mentioning it in this thread. I've had to stop playing the game waiting for a new update to fix it.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
I suppose not many people in this thread have played this game on Series X since the latest patch a few days ago? The game now has severe frame drops with raytracing turned on in both campaign and multiplayer. There's also a bug that locks the game to 30FPS and you have to restart the game to fix it. Levels that were rock solid before now run horribly. The game also crashes the entire Xbox now regularly. It's all widespread and talked about a lot on Twitter and Reddit so surprised no one is mentioning it in this thread. I've had to stop playing the game waiting for a new update to fix it.
I'm not having these issues at all?

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
Did the patch fix the crashing? Lots of reports about that on XSX in the Cold War OT.

bonch00ski

Oct 25, 2017
What are the possibilities that the Series S version just a product of lack of effort on that console vs what it's actually capable. Could they have just used an improved One S build or maybe One X build?

If it sounds like I don't know what I'm talking about it's because I don't.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018

That's a terrible patch. Wth