• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Why would anyone cripple their framerate with ray traced shadows in a call of duty game?
The Campaign is one of the best looking games I've ever seen, the level of quality at 60fps with ray traced shadows is insane. It's awesome that the fidelity mode is 60fps and the performance mode is 120fps

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
NXCtIah.png

QAv7Q7m.png

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
It's almost like Ubisoft games have never been optimized well and shouldn't be barometers for performance comparisons

Results like this are much more along the lines of what the hardware suggests on paper.
Every single mainline CoD game on console barring Black Ops III on 360/PS3 has run at 60fps, has looked great for its time and has pushed tech. This isn't really the title to be drawing results from either.

Bobbyleejones

Banned
Aug 25, 2019
Dips down to 40fps on PS5 in raytracing mode with Series X showing perfect 60 in the same spots. Interesting. GPU advantage showing up for the first time?

120hz mode shows PS5 winning by about 5% on average whenever there are drops. They both drop FPS in the same spots in 120hz mode.

I'm starting to question the CPU advantage on SX...seems like PS5 CPU is currently performing better if we are specifically seeing it win on 120hz modes but not in 60hz mode. My gut tells me there are CPU bottlenecks happening rather than GPU...wonder if it's related to the use of SMT (on vs off).
Well I remember one df article stating that another mode for the cpu is suppose to add increased performance for developers later on

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Why would anyone cripple their framerate with ray traced shadows in a call of duty game?
If it's multiplayer, you gotta keep it at 120fps, but for campaign? You're shooting bots. 60 fps should be fine so you can really stretch the legs on the ray-traced shadows.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Really solid video from DF. They have done a tremendous amount of work over the last few weeks and it's been great to get their perspective of these early games on PS5/Series X/S.

I think for a CoD title that came in apparently as not the intended title for 2020, they have done a tremendous job with it overall, it looks and plays great.

Deleted member 2441

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Couple of interesting parallels here to DMC V here actually. Overall both super close.

Series X performing better in RT modes, tho mostly only in a couple of big set pieces
PS5 performing better in high refresh rate modes, though this time mostly in a big set piece

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
I knew this was gonna be a more interesting comparison. With ray tracing on, the series X performs much better during certain set pieces, while at 120 fps the PS5 is slightly better. With VRR the experience is just as smooth on the X, though

We've been told many times that the series X would better handle ray tracing, so perhaps this is the first game to showcase that. Either way, these consoles are really close as was expected, so everyone should be satisfied with that.

It's pretty cool that they mentioned the dualsense support. COD is arguably the best game outside of Astro which makes use of the adaptive triggers

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I will say that sun shadows are the only place where RT shadows are noticeable properly in this game. For spotlight shadows and AO, it's extremely subtle and not worth the performance hit on PC. It's cause even the non ray traced high/ultra shadows are soft as well. The only place where you'd find spotlight RT shadows to be noticeable is places which would otherwise require usage of Screen space shadows, and since the game doesn't have screen space shadows for things like leaves on ground etc RT spotlight shadows are noticeable but in my entire playthrough I noticed one instance of this happening.

Sun shadows on the other hand, are noticeable but only the Vietnam mission is the one where it's super obvious.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Didn't even realise I was playing the 120FPS version of it on XSX 🤣

Also I know multiple people who have had their console hard lock on Vietnam helicopter/village section. Seems to be a problem area performance wise in more ways than one.
Probably worth it for SP.

Aug 30, 2020
Here I am impatiently waiting for PC to console comparisons. Sounds like the console version just has RT shadows, not the GI on PC? Looks like it's at least the RT sun shadows, but not indoors judging by the not so variable indoor penumbra?

But dropping below 60 with RT on is disappointing. They need to have RT + framerate modes on these systems. I know a lot of people would take that over full 4K...

Nov 8, 2017
We will see if the regular performance on Xbox ends up improving relative to PS5 at all over the next 6-12 months in multiplats for these comparisons, but the ray tracing perf being higher on X was predictable based on what we know about hardware configs.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Really hope 120fps is here to stay for competitive MP. Don't need bells and whistles. It makes a huge difference in the actual gameplay.

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
RT is just for shadows right? I've left if off and just ran 120hz anyway. Seems like a waste TBH.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
My highly uneducated speculation is that with VRR devs aren't as concerned with optimizing for perfect stability.

Interesting. Do you know offhand if the drops at 120fps are more noticeable on a monitor? I have been considering getting a 1440p 144hz monitor for MP but Reddit has me worried.

DuvalDevil

Nov 18, 2020
Both consoles with some pretty good results. There is still room for a lot of improvement. Whatever, Cold War is great!

plain

Oct 27, 2017
What happened to the Series S running the same graphics but in lower resolution?

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Seems like a great job all round, solid framerates 95%+ of the time. To the extent that there are differences, there might be an interesting parallel to draw with the DMCV performance profile. But sounds like it's very stable in general.

theDidact

Oct 25, 2017
How do you explain the PS5 not having a locked 120fps?
Are developers assuming something different for PS5?
Until PS5 gets VRR support I'd have to assume slightly different targets there. Games using dynamic resolution (and the associated unknowns on how that is implemented on each console) is only going to make that comparison more difficult for the end consumer.

Oct 27, 2017
Dips down to 40fps on PS5 in raytracing mode with Series X showing perfect 60 in the same spots. Interesting. GPU advantage showing up for the first time?

120hz mode shows PS5 winning by about 5% on average whenever there are drops. They both drop FPS in the same spots in 120hz mode.

I'm starting to question the CPU advantage on SX...seems like PS5 CPU is currently performing better if we are specifically seeing it win on 120hz modes but not in 60hz mode. My gut tells me there are CPU bottlenecks happening rather than GPU...wonder if it's related to the use of SMT (on vs off).
I mean, this is a cross-gen game and it probably wasn't built specifically to utilize the new components on each platform to the max and whatever. As far as the performance delta, they each have something weird going on as the XSX shouldn't be THAT much faster in the RT 60 fps parts and vice-versa with the 120 fps mode.

I think the only one who loses here are the armchair analyst fanboys from the Valhalla thread. Do y'all see how meaningful a marketing partnership is now?

Deleted member 2441

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well I remember one df article stating that another mode for the cpu is suppose to add increased performance for developers later on

Sorry but I feel like I often see you in these threads posting without having done much research.

The Series X already has a CPU clock speed advantage. It's 100Mhz, it's negligible, but it's there. That's with both PS5 and Series X using SMT. So even without turning it off, the CPUs are basically comparable (3.5 vs 3.6 GHz) if not slightly favoured towards the Series X.

Turning SMT off could improve performance for less threaded applications through a frequency boost but even still that only goes up to 3.8 GHz, so it's still not a significant difference and may not even be applicable if the games are built to leverage all 16 threads, which they may be for consoles going forward since all three have 8 core, 16 thread Zen 2 CPUs.