• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
México
Here we go boys

Some details

-60fps with Raytracing runs better on Series X
-120fps which disables RT runs better on PS5
-Series S looks and runs great at 60fps, no RT option
-They really like the dualsense support on PS5

For more please support the channel and watch the full video.

Edit:
It seems to be that some of the RT issues on the PS5 might be a bug

Those drops into the forties on PS5 with RT on seem to be a bug as they don't consistently happen https://bit.ly/2IHsqPN

Correct. The pictures from VG Tech clearly show this:

cw-sp-ps5-rt-test-5-8v1k55.png

cw-sp-ps5-rt-test-5-1nmkx0.png

And in the description to their video:

So clearly a bug, or some weird issue. It's crazy how some in this thread are so very quick to amplify it as "XSX better at raytracing", even when DF are saying they encountered the drops incredibly infrequently (like, the two times it was shown). Outside this extremely odd behaviour - which no matter what it is, is certainly not indicative of a lack of power - the 60fps+RT mode performs identically on both systems.

www.youtube.com

Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Frame Rate Comparison

Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S frame rate comparison comparing the games framerate/fps in the campaign using the 120fps and Ray Traci...

Last edited:

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
User warned: Metacommentary, console war baiting
get the popcorn yall. this is gonna be good.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
So pretty much identical with X being slightly more stable with RT and PS5 holding slightly higher FPS in 120hz mode.

xem

Oct 31, 2017
huh. I think I like this use of raytracing shadows better than reflections. looks great

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Why does the Series X struggle with 120fps in these games? I'm assuming it's running at a higher res than the PS5 but I'd much rather they clamp things at 1440p if it means it's more stable. Just a campaign thing but eh...

Anyways I'm impressed the Series X is able to hold 60 with RT shadows, especially considering that's way more performance-intensive than RT reflections IIRC.

AzerPhire

Oct 25, 2017
With ray tracing on XSX is smoother than PS5. Without ray tracing they are 99.9% the same

YozoraXV

Oct 30, 2017
They seem very close here with ray-tracing being better on XSX. And PS5 being slightly more stable in 120fps. VRR again stops the tearing for XSX while PS5 still has it.

Starting to think a VRR TV is going to be essential this gen.

Kapote

Jul 3, 2019
Weird. All DF videos appear only in 1080p for me despite the 4k seal. Even older stuff like the Demon's Souls analysis is still at 1080p. No option to select resolutions above that... (Samsung SmarTV)

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
Why would anyone cripple their framerate with ray traced shadows in a call of duty game?

DSN2K

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Series S not quite Next gen experience at 1440p is it ? toned down settings, Ray Tracing gone. Its bit disappointing but at £250 its hard to moan too much.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
My highly uneducated speculation is that with VRR devs aren't as concerned with optimizing for perfect stability.
If you have a 4k/120hz display, it's most likely to support VRR. Indeed, guaranteed if you're playing on a TV given both are a standard part of the HDMI 2.1 spec. So there's no need for devs to ensure a locked 120. Same goes for games on both platforms given PS5 will have VRR enabled too soon.

yalk_dx

Nov 3, 2020
Weird. All DF videos appear only in 1080p for me despite the 4k seal. Even older stuff like the Demon's Souls analysis is still at 1080p. No option to select resolutions above that... (Samsung SmarTV)
funnily enough, that sponsored godfall video they put up within the past couple days is full 4k. maybe youtube is putting certain videos higher in the queue?

Jaime.GGG

Oct 27, 2017

Youtube Comment
Pinned by Digital Foundry
Digital Foundry
24 minutes ago
Hey everyone - the usual caveats here: YouTube is currently experiencing profound issues in promptly encoding 4K and high quality 1080p versions of our content - all of our next-gen console videos are mastered at 4K unless we mention otherwise. Right now, we have no idea when higher quality versions will resolve but we are in touch with YouTube support to hopefully get this situation addressed.

evilalien

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017

Youtube 4k processing takes days to finish. If you want to watch it in 4k you have to wait a while.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
This is a good output for all platforms.
Even on PC despite the network bugs it runs pretty great and better than MW for me.

shanew21

Nov 7, 2017
It's almost like Ubisoft games have never been optimized well and shouldn't be barometers for performance comparisons

Results like this are much more along the lines of what the hardware suggests on paper.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
120fps is cool and all. But like performance modes on last gen that went 1080/60. I dont think i can take the resolution hit. So just like last gen i probably will go with the mode wich has the highest resolution.

pratyush1991

Jan 9, 2020
Thank god both consoles are doing well with frames dropped by PS5 in two scenes. Rest is completely identical.

aronmayo

Jul 29, 2020
Dips down to 40fps on PS5 in raytracing mode with Series X showing perfect 60 in the same spots. Interesting. GPU advantage showing up for the first time?

120hz mode shows PS5 winning by about 5% on average whenever there are drops. They both drop FPS in the same spots in 120hz mode.

I'm starting to question the CPU advantage on SX...seems like PS5 CPU is currently performing better if we are specifically seeing it win on 120hz modes but not in 60hz mode. My gut tells me there are CPU bottlenecks happening rather than GPU...wonder if it's related to the use of SMT (on vs off).

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Why would anyone cripple their framerate with ray traced shadows in a call of duty game?
Well considering it runs at 60FPS in all the time outside of some odd set piece moments here and there, low enough to be negligible...there is no crippling the framerate here. Now if you want 120Hz, that's a different thing.

Not sure of the consoles support KB/m like MW, but if they do the 120hz mode would be the one to pick while playing with KB/m.

Dantero

Jan 23, 2018
Series S not quite Next gen experience at 1440p is it ? toned down settings, Ray Tracing gone. Its bit disappointing but at £250 its hard to moan too much.

while I agree until now I'm going to wait for some real next gen games. After seeing gears 5 on the thing i was quite amazed about I think first party is gonna be pretty good on this thing. 3rd party I'm not sure yet but it's early

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Interesting, Looks like PS5 has some big dips in Ray Tracing mode during set pieces, while Series X remains locked at 60, but PS5 outperforms Series X at 120hz in the helicopter scene. Although, John also mentioned that with VRR, the Series X feels incredibly smooth in 120hz, so any drops weren't noticable.

I'm curious if this is Series X showing improvements with RT due to the extra CUs, or if it's somethign else causinbg the drops on PS5?