• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
It's a weird situation to have a new, powerful next gen console and have it only play, basically current gen games (because they will have to be designed to work on base Xbox One) for the first year or two, with no exclusives designed to take advantage of the new hardware.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
The idea of crossgen holding back current gen is a last gen idea.

Developer tooling built to support various PCs, PS4 Pro, XB1X, XB1, PS4 and Switch has already reduced this issue and will do so more with the next wave of releases.

If crossgen turns out to be a limiting factor we'll see it in the vastly superior PS5 exclusives.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
I'm glad Richard brought up this example. I was told anyone who uses this example doesn't know anything about game development.

Meanwhile, Saber Interactive's The Witcher 3 port for Switch demonstrates spectacularly how it is possible to scale a CPU-intensive game across to a far less capable processor. The current-gen Sony and Microsoft machines have access to 6.5 available CPU cores running at 1.6GHz and upwards. Meanwhile, Switch is delivering the game using three mobile ARM cores clocked at just 1.0GHz. Those cores may well be more efficient, but they're not likely enough to overhaul the frequency uplift and additional cores that the game was designed around - yet somehow, Saber did it.

SeriousGoku

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 20, 2019
No, they can't. Its pretty obvious. If you have to cater to the lowest common denominator then there will be drawbacks.

Catering to the super underpowered and old ass original Xbox One in 2020 is a big fucking yikes.

Sony has the right approach.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm glad Richard brought up this example. I was told anyone who uses this example doesn't know anything about game development.
But CDPR themselves suggested that Witcher 3 wasn't taking full advantage of the gen, as they don't think the current gen Cyberpunk 2077 would be able to ever come to Switch.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I can't deny that I hate this uncertainty about next gen games and whether they will be held back or not.

I do understand the decision because it's smart business but I really wish MS would just go with Lockhart and XSX and go from there. People will eventually buy your system, I'm sure. Especially with trade in programs and the Lockhart at a low price.

We'll see how all this turns out. Worst case scenario 2021 has exclusives that don't show the full potential they could have. It's really only two years and this year is the first of those, right?

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So much confidence whilst having no real insight to back it up, unlike DF. Typical of some Era members.

Thorzilla

Oct 28, 2017
Cross Gen games have always existed, this seems like the first big case of a first party pulling them off.

Let's hope the results are better than Shadow of Mordor on PS3.

I too am expecting a Shadow of Mordor situation in legacy systems. Y1 - 2 will probably be another cross gen era, much like this one. I do expect Microsoft to begin delivering next gen exclusives some time around the second year of the new generation.

grosbard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The idea of crossgen holding back current gen is a last gen idea.

Developer tooling built to support various PCs, PS4 Pro, XB1X, XB1, PS4 and Switch has already reduced this issue and will do so more with the next wave of releases.

If crossgen turns out to be a limiting factor we'll see it in the vastly superior PS5 exclusives.

The interesting thing about that is you know Microsoft developers would have told Phil or the people calling the shots that crossgen would be a limiting factor and it would allow for vastly superior PS5 exclusives. It's not like it's going to take MS by surprise, so logically you would have Phil and other Xbox people making the business decision to release vastly inferior exclusives. I don't see that happening.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
The games will be pretty and be good games. But crossgen games are crossgen. By definition they will limited

The only thing that has changed is visuals are already good this gen so visual cutbacks might be less obvious at high res where artwork mattrrs more. But you can always do a lot more with more power. 5x the enemies on screen is an immediate thing people will see versus this gen

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
Scaling down resolution, textures and some particles is fine. But from a gamedesign standpoint, what if you want to make a 1000 player battleroyale, that just wouldn´t even boot on an Xbox One S.

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
The new CPUs enable new experiences you cannot do on the older consoles. It's not just prettier graphics, it's CPUs that can drive new environmental interaction/ destruction / ai models.
But you still need to actually build all that. It's only compromising if those would have been without it.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
That doesn't take away what had to happen for switch to get the witcher.
The point is we don't know if The Witcher is a good example, because all we really know is that it's not the most demanding game CDPR put on this gen. And if Cyberpunk 2077 can't come to Switch by their assessment, then there's definitely a suggestion there that scaling has delicate limits that are easy to blow past if you take advantage of new gens without considering a lowest common denominator.

JCreasy

Oct 27, 2017

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
And I thought the conversation surrounding this shit was about to die down 😔😔😔

Without seeing any games, all we are doing is wasting battery power on our phones and laptops as well as keystrokes on our keyboards..

This is gonna be one long-ass year

Bobbetybob

Nov 11, 2017
It's a weird situation to have a new, powerful next gen console and have it only play, basically current gen games (because they will have to be designed to work on base Xbox One) for the first year or two, with no exclusives designed to take advantage of the new hardware.
But isn't this what happens with all next gen consoles anyway? What was the first game on the PS4 or Xbox One where you went "wow there's NO way this couldn't have run on an old console" from a gameplay perspective?

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Developers will have to optimize games for a lot of consoles in the transition period to next gen. PS4, PS4 Pro, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox One X, Xbox Series X...

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
It's not a great strategy imo, as it trades off one major benefit of new consoles (the hard cut-off and subsequent leap). Getting the newest Xbox will be much less exciting when it is basically an Xbox One X2 for the first 2 years of its life

But isn't this what happens with all next gen consoles anyway? What was the first game on the PS4 or Xbox One where you went "wow there's NO way this couldn't have run on an old console" from a gameplay perspective?

Regardless of your opinion on "gameplay innovation" in 2013/4, first-party cross gen will only prolong the pains of gen 8 dev and our misery that is Jaguar.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
MS should cut cord on everything xbox including the X in 2 years from now tops. This is me as an X owner.

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

All the launch exclusives were just "hey it looks prettier" but that's it

Ryse: repetitive as hell, looks pretty
Forza 5: looks pretty
Dead Rising 3: meh, looks pretty
KillZone ShadowFall: boring, looks pretty
Knack: it's fuckin Knack
Playroom: tech demo for a part of the DS4 no one uses, looks pretty

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I mean take current gen games like RDR2 or Control, improve the texture quality, add Ray Tracing, raise FPS, turn on all the bells & whistles("ultra settings"), improve asset density & streaming, reduce load times to little-or-nothing and yeah, I'm sure they'd absolutely "wow" people to some degree, but it wouldn't change the fact that 'under the hood' they're still last gen at their heart.

Also I'm curious to see how MS responds if in 2 years there are still millions of Gamepass users chugging a long with their old systems.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
4K60fps ports with a little bit better view distance, shadows and reflections is not true next-gen.

We've had those for years on PC and it didn't make the games feel any more next-gen. We need a real next-gen. Things have gotten really damn stale.

Cross-gen is delaying next-gen, no two ways about it.

Imagine this sort of thing:

They're not going to be able to scale that to the X1. Lockhart maybe.

I don't think it's even fair to say they will be porting down games to the X1. They will be porting games up to the X1X. For 2 years!

I understand the reasoning but that's just terrible. At least have a few next-gen exclusives.

Last edited:

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
The point is we don't know if The Witcher is a good example, because all we really know is that it's not the most demanding game CDPR put on this gen. And if Cyberpunk 2077 can't come to Switch by their assessment, then there's definitely a suggestion there that scaling has delicate limits that are easy to blow past if you take advantage of new gens without considering a lowest common denominator.

We do know if it's a good example. You can compare how much was scaled back in order to get it running on the switch as opposed to any other platform.

Cyberpunk being harder to do doesn't negate the witcher.

And here's the thing. Those two examples aren't first party titles being developed with the switch in mind. They're third party games made for pcx1ps4 and then later ported by another studio. Something tells me this makes a massive difference in a positive way.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017

Uses it for what? To support the idea that games are easily scalable today in the general case?

The article elsewhere raises the very points I've raised every time the Witcher 3/Switch example comes up, but in the context of X360 versions of certain Xbox One games. Those questions apply also to The Witcher 3 on Switch - the questions of the development model needed to make it happen (an external team, working after the fact) and the questions of whether the original vision would have been changed had they needed to accommodate Switch in the first place for a day-and-date release with the other versions. Just like those games don't prove a non-issue in cross-gen development, neither does Witcher 3 on Switch.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
All the launch exclusives were just "hey it looks prettier" but that's it

Ryse: repetitive as hell, looks pretty
Forza 5: looks pretty
Dead Rising 3: meh, looks pretty
KillZone ShadowFall: boring, looks pretty
Knack: it's fuckin Knack
Playroom: tech demo for a part of the DS4 no one uses, looks pretty

Here's an article where a dev discusses why Dead Rising 3 couldn't happen on Xbox 360

Spoiler: it's not just graphics

Uses it for what? To support the idea that games are easily scalable today in the general case?

The article elsewhere raises the very points I've raised every time the Witcher 3/Switch example comes up, but in the context of X360 versions of certain Xbox One games. Those questions apply also to The Witcher 3 on Switch - the questions of the development model needed to make it happen (an external team, working after the fact) and the questions of whether the original vision would have been changed had they needed to accommodate Switch in the first place. Just like those games don't prove a non-issue in cross-gen development, neither does Witcher 3 on Switch.

Come on, you're telling me that not every publisher is going to hire an external studio and give them months/years of time after the game launches and a sizable budget to make last-gen/next-gen ports of every "scalable" game? Madness!

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Developers are always going to focus on the lowest SKU, likely will be the best selling version also so it makes business sense

Jun 22, 2018
Scaling between the X1 and XSX should be much easier than it was to do 360 and X1 as the hardware and OSes are MUCH more similar this time around. It will still involve some work, but there shouldn't be the need for entire external teams to do full ports like with Titanfall.

JCreasy

Oct 27, 2017
4K60fps ports with a little bit better view distance, shadows and reflections is not true next-gen.

We've had those for years on PC and it didn't make the games feel any more next-gen. We need a real next-gen. Things have gotten really damn stale.

Cross-gen is delaying next-gen, no two ways about it.

Imagine this sort of thing:

They're not going to be able to scale that to the X1.

I don't even think it's fair to say they will be porting down games to the X1. They will be porting games up to the X1X. For 2 years.

I understand the reasoning but that's just terrible. At least have a few next-gen exclusives.

I want this kind of destruction for Call of Duty, honestly. I don't think that's too much to ask.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Not really. They could just say the game's minimum spec requires an SSD.

In fact I'm sure we are going to see that in a lot of games' min specs in a couple years.
And just like any minimum spec requirement people will try it anyway, see how horrible it is, and upgrade to SSD (which are cheap so they might as well). Even Path of Exile PC pretty much push people towards SSD, it should be required, but I'm guessing it's a soft requirement (goes to see the POE system requirements).

Oooh snap, it has been begun-ed. A free to play ARPG, designed for SSD. Yep we getting there on the PC front!
cv0tm54.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

Gameplay hasn't changed much over the years and generations but graphically, Killzone: Shadow Fall and Infamous: Second Son, were very impressive looking early games, that showed a clear jump in power.

Bgamer90

Oct 27, 2017
No, they can't. Its pretty obvious. If you have to cater to the lowest common denominator then there will be drawbacks.

Catering to the super underpowered and old ass original Xbox One in 2020 is a big fucking yikes.

Sony has the right approach.

The vast majority of games that will be on the PS5 and Xbox Series X during both system's first two years will also be playable on the 2013 PS4 and Xbox One.

I just find it funny how so many third party games back in 2013-2014 were viewed as being "next gen experiences" even though those games were on 360/PS3, but now all of a sudden the same being done this upcoming gen is a major issue simply because it's Microsoft instead of a third party company. And heck, Microsoft did this before—Forza Horizon 2 was on the 360, but yet many would agree that Forza Horizon 2 was a better game than Forza Motorsport 5 (a true Xbox One exclusive). It's getting mind boggling.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Scaling between the X1 and XSX should be much easier than it was to do 360 and X1 as the hardware and OSes are MUCH more similar this time around. It will still involve some work, but there shouldn't be the need for entire external teams to do full ports like with Titanfall.
Not sure if architecture is the biggest issue. The CPU performance jump this gen will be much greater than last time. Arguably, the CPUs this gen were not really a generational upgrade over 360 era in performance.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
It's just gonna be like on PC. I'll be able to play next gen games on my old hardware for a while with stuff turned down/off, but eventually it'll become too slow. In the same way, the old XBO will get phased out of support for newer games. Such doom and gloom. It's not gonna be completely different architecture that's incompatible with the old stuff. Same thing for the PS5.

JCreasy

Oct 27, 2017
It was also officially confirmed as a Xbox One game when it was announced.

The footage we saw was supposed to be representative of next gen hardware. That's the point I'm making. Xbox Stans went to great lengths to explain why the trailer was impressive. Everyone else was less than impressed.

Perhaps it was constrained by the limitations of Xbox One.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't know that. I thought it was Windows 10 coming to Xbox later ... and I had thought later meant Xbox Series X.

I'm trying to imagine those visuals coming out of my Sunset Overdrive Xbox One and I'm not seeing it.

Lots of it is streaming. And what we are seeing now is streaming of the HD content. There is also a SD content when your bandwith is lower but that SD can maybe be the max for One S.
Talking about ground details.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Developers are always going to focus on the lowest SKU, likely will be the best selling version also so it makes business sense

Yeah, sadly it does make sense business wise.

But man, the Jaguar is seven years old when the next gen start, it's kinda enough. And there are examples of where games have been held back. Can MS succeed this time around? I hope so.

But on the other hand, again, it's been seven years. People knew that eventually it would end and that a new gen would start. So if MS were to drop Xbox One support it's perfectly normal. Not anymore because of their messaging though.

Ah well, none of us, neither DF can truly know if MS will pull it off or not.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
User banned (2 months): Very long history of low-effort trolling and platform warring
I would be fine with crossgen if it was base ps4 but not this, Microsoft can keep all their Halos and Hellblades Gears ,and cancelled games there are other systems out there

Jun 22, 2018
Not sure if architecture is the biggest issue. The CPU performance jump this gen will be much greater than last time. Arguably, the CPUs this gen were not really a generational upgrade over 360 era in performance.
The difference is code that runs on the XSX should run directly on the X1 as well, with very little modification. So, all you are doing is tweaking things that affect performance.

You don't have to port the entire thing and modify your entire engine to support a different architecture and OS layer.

Yes, a lot of changes will be made for performance reasons, but I'm talking about the amount of work to get on the older console at all. It will be SO much easier to move your game from one to the other this time around.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017

Sure, but it works both ways, right? Devs have been working with x86 for nearly a decade now. That learning curve/adjustment period from previous generations doesn't really apply anymore. It isn't going to take years of growing accustom to the architecture and tool-sets before they can fully tap in to the new systems' capabilities.

Dec 31, 2017
I would be fine with crossgen if it was base ps4 but not this, Microsoft can keep all their Halos and Hellblades Gears ,and cancelled games there are other systems out there
Are you for real???

Also, there is no confirmation that all 1st party launch games will be cross gen, and secondly there are no precedents to this so we have no idea of knowing 100% if it will hold back or not. All we know is that MS will have cross gen titles.

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's just gonna be like on PC. I'll be able to play next gen games on my old card for a while with stuff turned out, but eventually it'll become too slow. In the same way, the old XBO will get phased out of support for newer games. What is this doom and gloom. It's not gonna be completely new architecture that's incompatible with the old stuff. Same thing for the PS5.
No it won't be like that, it's the CPU that will become the issue rather than the GPU as you will have to design and restrict game logic to what your base spec is.

It's very likely that these games will look really really good and be as next gen as you can imagine because the game itself is less taxing overall.

It's more like a port up when the game is designed for XO and then the additional resources the XSX provides will allow them to go to 11 with the graphics.

The problem you have is that the Devs will have finite resources/time so always going to have compromises somewhere away from reaching idealised expectations.

ps3ud0 8)

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017

Are you announcing you don't like Xbox and their ideas are dumb only because they aren't Sony? Man i wonder how folk get to this point.