• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this is a beta, I'd expect an improvement in the final game

The base XBO version looks grim - reminds me of some of the 360/PS3 downports from early this gen which took a "turn things off and pare down the resolution until it just about runs" approach.

The team seemed to think it was likely there might be some tweaks to improve performance based on IW's past betas.

the game looked shit on base PS4

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
A bit shit for X I was expecting more. If I'm sacrificing framerate I sure as hell shouldn't expect to see tearing as well.

Is Microsoft more lenient on screen tearing in QA or something? It certainly seems more prominent for Xbox consoles.
PS4 SDK forces triple buffering V-sync. That's why you never see tearing on PS4. XBO doesn't force it and it's up to the developers to decide what to use.

It's not difficult to remove tearing, just a matter of enabling V-sync. But in doing so it means the framerate dropping to 30 every time there is a dip. Which is why developers will choose other options like we see in Nvidia drivers, either disabling altogether, or using adaptive/fast/etc. All of which has the potential to introduce tearing.

That said, if you have a VRR TV (eg recent Samsung/LG) and Xbox One X then that'll remove any tearing, something that rarely seems to get mentioned. For example, there's no tearing in Gears 5 on Xbox One X if you play it on a C9 OLED.

My issue with PS4 forcing triple buffering is the increased latency.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
Wait....You actually think that there is more than 3% of people out of the xbox one user base that have an X?

Please tell me you dont.

Id argue its highly likely its more than 3 percent tbh considering how bad the original xbox one has been performing wise for over a year now. Now whatever that number is I am not sure but if you just drop numbers you should at least be correct on it.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
BF games run pretty similar to MW Ground War on base consoles iirc

No that's not what it was. I was talking about the graininess around your weapon sights when ADS.
Maybe it was just low resolution DoF but it looked like something else.
iirc it was some 'filmic' setting in the beta. Film grain strength or filmic AA something along those lines.

Rbk_3

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Beta ran a rock steady 60 FPS in 4K or 120FPS in 1440P for me. Definitely going that version.

I was definitely feeling drops on XB1X even in TDM

PS4 SDK forces triple buffering V-sync. That's why you never see tearing on PS4. XBO doesn't force it and it's up to the developers to decide what to use.

It's not difficult to remove tearing, just a matter of enabling V-sync. But in doing so it means the framerate dropping to 30 every time there is a dip. Which is why developers will choose other options like we see in Nvidia drivers, either disabling altogether, or using adaptive/fast/etc. All of which has the potential to introduce tearing.

That said, if you have a VRR TV (eg recent Samsung/LG) and Xbox One X then that'll remove any tearing, something that rarely seems to get mentioned. For example, there's no tearing in Gears 5 on Xbox One X if you play it on a C9 OLED.

My issue with PS4 forcing triple buffering is the increased latency.

Was it mentioned anywhere this supports VRR on XB1X? I played and was still noticing frame drops in TDM on my C9

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
Do they say what lows they were seeing on PS4 pro in ground war? As I said in the beta thread I swear it was hitting low 40's and maybe even 30's on my pro in that mode.

I watched a Twitch streamer named maximillian_dood play a round of it on the Pro and he swore it was going below even 30 for him, though I think he was exaggerating.

Rbk_3

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do they say what lows they were seeing on PS4 pro in ground war? As I said in the beta thread I swear it was hitting low 40's and maybe even 30's on my pro in that mode.

I watched a Twitch streamer named maximillian_dood play a round of it on the Pro and he swore it was going below even 30 for him, though I think he was exaggerating.

Lows are the high 40s

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I played it on Xbox One S. I can confirm it looked terrible. I haven't seen so much Blur since their feud with Oasis.

DJKippling

Nov 1, 2017
its pretty clear they are prioritising ps4 over Xbox. they used to always strive for 60fps locked no matter the platform but now they are intent on doing the least amount possible to the non lead platform. the screen tearing is ridiculous and should never happen to just one platform. at least they've acknowledged that they screwed that up.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
The draw distance on the base xbox one is horrendous. Wow, I honestly cannot believe MS sold consumers a console this weak for $500 back in 2013. Just to think 97% of the xbox base is the base xbox one, so most of them have to deal with this nonsense. Wow

Just because a lot of people have it doesn't mean they shouldn't start leaving it behind now. Imagine trying to run this game on a PC built 10 years ago on a $500 budget.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
The draw distance on the base xbox one is horrendous. Wow, I honestly cannot believe MS sold consumers a console this weak for $500 back in 2013. Just to think 97% of the xbox base is the base xbox one, so most of them have to deal with this nonsense. Wow
I thought the game looked and ran great on OG Xbox One.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Just because a lot of people have it doesn't mean they shouldn't start leaving it behind now. Imagine trying to run this game on a PC built 10 years ago on a $500 budget.

This isn't really a question of 'leaving it behind'. With proper optimization, the game should be able to run on an Xbox one. It does seem that performance on the Xbox is suffering since it's the secondary console.

I thought the game looked and ran great on OG Xbox One.

He does have a history with these type of posts.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't really a question of 'leaving it behind'. With proper optimization, the game should be able to run on an Xbox one. It does seem that performance on the Xbox is suffering since it's the secondary console.

Yeah with proper optimization and a lot of time you can squeeze an incredible amount out of very little. That's why the contest for most graphically impressive game right now is between a bunch of console exclusives. There's a question of being a able to run and being able to run well though. It clearly runs just fine. You can start it and play. I expect the base consoles to really struggle going into this last year, just like past gens. They are at the end of life, beyond it really since there were refreshes released.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I'll repost those from other threads:

What bothers me is not the resolution or the performance but the consistant shadow flickering and pixelated edges from the last COD games till this new engine (which looks as good as BF now) but still even on mid-gen consoles with GPUs 2.3 and 4.6 Times more powerful than their base versions yet shadows are still very low res!!!! In what age are we? Even during the PS2 era we had games with better shadows.

Watched some of the previews. Coming from BF games COD games were reflections are near absent, shadows are near PS2 era or worse and after coming from the beta of Ghost Recon which I better not describe, I didn't see any downgrade in TLOU2. In fact eveyrthing is super sharp, textures, shadows and great reflections everywhere eventhough not ray-traced. I only thing I don't dig at all is the heavy use of chromatic aberration that I hope ND will offer an option to turn it off.

This really infuriates me whenever I witness this tbh.