• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

uptownsoul

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Uhm, not necessarily. GP has some great third party games, too. GPU even includes eaplay and there are rumors for Ubi games being added. But that complete discussion is offtopic anyway.

Maybe so. But there'll still be 10's of millions of next gen console owners who won't get GP. I do love how people have to turn every topic into a GP topic.

uptownsoul

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
No i disagree, the value will always be in the disk version, you spend 100$ more but you can find a lot of better deals on games, and you can always resell them or trade in for other games. Digital sales are getting better but will never be as cheap as the physical game market. There is a reason if Sony cut the price by 100$ just for a disk reader, they know that if you buy the digital version in the end you will spend and give them way more money for games which will cost you more and you won't be able to resell

Let me start by saying this the precise reason I prefer the PS5 with disc drive...

And while I agree the potential for the disc versions of consoles to have more value (for the reasons you stated), the value only gets realized if & when that person resells or trades in those games (which is not a given)

uptownsoul

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
No i disagree, the value will always be in the disk version, you spend 100$ more but you can find a lot of better deals on games, and you can always resell them or trade in for other games. Digital sales are getting better but will never be as cheap as the physical game market. There is a reason if Sony cut the price by 100$ just for a disk reader, they know that if you buy the digital version in the end you will spend and give them way more money for games which will cost you more and you won't be able to resell

Now to back up your point...You can say the option to trade-in/resell (the option itself)...has some value. I'm just not sure how to quantify that value

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
For those people the Series X with Game Pass is absolutely the better value.

The market determines what is the better value. So far hardware wise it seems the market has decided PS5 has better value for next gen games compared to Series X plus gamepass.

We will see how that changes throughout the gen but this is the status currently.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Each individual determines what's the better value (for them).
The individual was arguing for `those people` though and not just for themselves... Therefore talking about what the overall market thinks is the better value in that context makes perfect sense then saying what you or I value. I could value ouya too but in the context of what `people` are going to value better it does not matter much

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
While I agree the PC alpha effects running at a higher res means this isn't a 1:1 comparison, strictly based on the benchmark stats in the video, "running between 2070 Super and 3070" isn't really accurate. Performance on the PS5 averages closer to the 3070.
How is 100% being between 80% and 108% isn't really accurate?
Without knowing the impact which reduced alpha resolution has it's impossible to tell where PS5 really averages. But considering that it's likely be at least 5% "running between 2070 Super and 3070" is as accurate as it gets.

I thought the 2080 comparison was wrt rasterization only. With Nvidia cards readily outperforming AMD ones in RT scenarios, I expected the PS5 would fall in the 2060 or 2070 ballpark maybe.
Have you noticed that they've essentially disabled two out of three RT based effects in PS5 version?
RT performance isn't as easy as "add RT cost to rasterization". RT runs partially on dedicated h/w and partially as compute on shading units.
This means that if you have a carefully tuned and light enough RT workload you can run it in parallel with rasterization (on dedicated h/w and via async compute) leading to there being close to no performance impact from such RT.
All console RT we've seen so far with the possible exception of Miles Morales reflections are precisely such workloads.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For those people the Series X with Game Pass is absolutely the better value.
I have GamePass, and it's ok but at $15/month it's not as great as people make it out to be(luckily I just add time when it's available for half price so I'll never pay $15/month). The third party games are basically indies and games that cost $15 at most to just buy the disc for it. It's a good deal at 7.50/month, but it's not this super amazing deal that people make it out to be.

DuvalDevil

Nov 18, 2020
I have GamePass, and it's ok but at $15/month it's not as great as people make it out to be(luckily I just add time when it's available for half price so I'll never pay $15/month). The third party games are basically indies and games that cost $15 at most to just buy the disc for it. It's a good deal at 7.50/month, but it's not this super amazing deal that people make it out to be.

Basically Indies? Yeah... No.

@topic: Im glad how the consoles are built. I cant wait until more Next gen games arrive. I am pretty sure we will have loads of fun with both consoles.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
What issues did you have with BO3 on PC? I've played 220+ hours in the past 7 months with friends and none of us have had any issues. The mod support through Steam puts it above the console versions for me, and it ran acceptably for my friend even on a non-gaming laptop from a few years ago.
Well, maybe it didn't run like shit, but the performance hit compared to AW was noticeable, i also thought AW looked a lot better.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Not with $70 PS5 games, it isn't.

The Series X is a far better value among consoles.
Very lopsided view.

If the games you are buying are assassins creed, watchdogs, COD, Hitman, Cyberpunk...etc. What value does Gamepass offer you there? You will be spending the exact same amount of money on those games as would someone that owns a PS5.

No doubt, gamepass as a service is of great value, but people need to stop talking as if it covers all your gaming needs. It doesn't.

Now if the only games you are interested in are MS published/partnered titles that are also on gamepass, then by all means you are right(as subjective as that may be). But thats a flawed way of looking at this, you need to look at it from the perspective of having access to all the games that are available on either platform if you are going to compare the two.

And notice I am not even mentioning exclusives?

Anyways, from a dollar to performance ratio, the PS5 (digital) as a console is the best. Simply looking at what you are getting for your money. On the flip side, the XSX vs the PS5 disc version, has the tables turning and the XSX is a better value there.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basically Indies? Yeah... No.

@topic: Im glad how the consoles are built. I cant wait until more Next gen games arrive. I am pretty sure we will have loads of fun with both consoles.
It's indies and AAA games that came out 2-3 years ago, and now cost $15 to simply buy. I didn't say it was just Indies.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
The RT used on the consoles is only local and sun shadows (and sun shadows seem to go missing during the chopper scene) , RTAO is the heavy one and thats when AMD starts to suffer. There's a reason AMD sponsored games have only been RT Shadows (dirt / godfall)

RT local shadows
youtu.be

CoD: Cold War Revisited RX 6800 XT VS RTX 3080 Ray Tracing Scaling

You asked, we answered. Revisiting Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War's Ray Tracing performance, but this time exploring each setting and how much it's scaling ...

RTAO
youtu.be

You asked, we answered. Revisiting Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War's Ray Tracing performance, but this time exploring each setting and how much it's scaling ...

All on
youtu.be

I'm not even sure if sun shadows would be a thing during the scene benchmarked either seeing its at night?
That Turish Airbase scene uses moon shadows, which are essentially sun shadows. I made sure to check if they are shadow maps on PS5 or RT shadows before I did the bench. The PS5 version on that level at the intro at least is using RT shadows from the moon (aka sun shadows).

MavFan619

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I sort of agree at the moment but since MS is buying up soon to be former third parties I think the value will eventually be there. For me now the value isn't there for their own first party games since I never had too much interest and the slate of third party content it has now since the best of it like Yakuza or Dragon Quest I already beat elsewhere. But not having to pay full price for a new Elder Scrolls or Fallout is gonna be dope.

prodyg

Oct 28, 2017
Why do ppl say things like this?? Tekken 7 is an indie, Final fantasy? Dragon Quest 7? Entire Yakuza series? Doom Eternal? access to all of that is definitely worth more than $15. MS just announced 8 new games for GP this week, only 2 of them are indies. I havent even spoken about EA access which is included.

"iTs jUsT InDiEs" is one of the strangest arguments ive seen against GP as of late

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Anyways, from a dollar to performance ratio, the PS5 (digital) as a console is the best. Simply looking at what you are getting for your money. On the flip side, the XSX vs the PS5 disc version, has the tables turning and the XSX is a better value there.

Dollar to Performance ratios matter among PC hardware, where we're talking about the same platform.

When you look at consoles, it's different because now we're looking at hardware as well as games and services. On that end Xbox obliterates PlayStation. It's a no contest. More powerful hardware, and thanks to all of these acquisitions - a lot more developers and big name franchises.
Throw in Game Pass, where you can play these games day one, not to mention some excellent third party games, and there's value PlayStation can't even begin to match.

Going further Xbox has unmatched bc among the consoles, as well as Cloud play, and a very generous Rewards program.

Meanwhile Sony raised the price of their games to $70. Sony offers no valueTheir $400 system is limited to digital only, and the best game deals are among physical titles. So there goes that.

Last edited:

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Dollar to Performance ratios matter among PC hardware, where we're talking about the same platform.

When you look at consoles, it's different because now we're looking at hardware as well as games and services. On that end Xbox obliterates PlayStation. It's a no contest. More powerful hardware, and thanks to all of these acquisitions - a lot more developers and big name franchises.
Throw in Game Pass, where you can play these games day one, not to mention some excellent third party games, and there's value PlayStation can't even begin to match.

Going further Xbox has unmatched bc among the consoles, as well as Cloud play, and a very generous Rewards program.

Meanwhile Sony raised the price of their games to $70. It's no contest. Sony offers no value. Their $400 system is limited to digital only, and the best game deals are among physical titles. So there goes that.
That is why one sells more than the other i guess.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why do ppl say things like this?? Tekken 7 is an indie, Final fantasy? Dragon Quest 7? Entire Yakuza series? Doom Eternal? access to all of that is definitely worth more than $15. MS just announced 8 new games for GP this week, only 2 of them are indies. I havent even spoken about EA access which is included.

"iTs jUsT InDiEs" is one of the strangest arguments ive seen against GP as of late
I didn't say anywhere that it's "just indies". I actually said it's indies and games that came out 2+ years ago(Doom Eternal is the exception) so cost sub $20 to just buy, such as FFXV, DQ, Yakuza.

And the games included in the EA Play sub included in GPU are all sub $10 besides Fallen Order(which is $20 to buy a disc for that game)

Trust me, I follow the new games that comes out on it pretty religiously as I have said before, I am a subscriber, it's just that most of them I have either already played a year ago or I have no interest in. The past month or 2 have definitely improved verse how it was for most of the year though, I will give you that.

Last edited:

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017

Meanwhile Sony raised the price of their games to $70. Sony offers no valueTheir $400 system is limited to digital only, and the best game deals are among physical titles. So there goes that.

Is this satire?

Oct 30, 2017
Very lopsided view.

If the games you are buying are assassins creed, watchdogs, COD, Hitman, Cyberpunk...etc. What value does Gamepass offer you there? You will be spending the exact same amount of money on those games as would someone that owns a PS5.

No doubt, gamepass as a service is of great value, but people need to stop talking as if it covers all your gaming needs. It doesn't.

Now if the only games you are interested in are MS published/partnered titles that are also on gamepass, then by all means you are right(as subjective as that may be). But thats a flawed way of looking at this, you need to look at it from the perspective of having access to all the games that are available on either platform if you are going to compare the two.

And notice I am not even mentioning exclusives?

Yeah. And I'm not even sure why people are talking about Gamepass in a thread about a game that won't be apart of the service. Let alone when this service isn't even serving 1/3 of the current Xbox install base.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Please stop derailing the thread talking about Game Pass or which console is more value than the other. Neither has anything to do with the OP.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Based off the DF watch dogs legion video

That's not "raytracing", it's a benchmark of a hybrid renderer which use RT for some reflections but doesn't render the whole scene with RT. When you're saying that PS5 is about on par with 2080 in rasterization you're comparing raster to raster.

You can't say that PS5 is equal to 2060 in RT by comparing them in a hybrid renderer which still builds most of the frame with rasterization - this way you're looking at a mix of both and RT there likely isn't even the biggest part of a scene frametime. So you're still comparing rasterization performance for the most part.

So a proper comparison of RT performance would be to run pure path tracing. We can't do that on PS5 (yet?) but we know where PC RDNA2 GPUs land in these workloads.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
That's not "raytracing", it's a benchmark of a hybrid renderer which use RT for some reflections but doesn't render the whole scene with RT. When you're saying that PS5 is about on par with 2080 in rasterization you're comparing raster to raster.

You can't say that PS5 is equal to 2060 in RT by comparing them in a hybrid renderer which still builds most of the frame with rasterization - this way you're looking at a mix of both and RT there likely isn't even the biggest part of a scene frametime. So you're still comparing rasterization performance for the most part.

So a proper comparison of RT performance would be to run pure path tracing. We can't do that on PS5 (yet?) but we know where PC RDNA2 GPUs land in these workloads.

Again pathtracing title won't be common out of maybe Minecraft. The measure for 99,99999% of the title will be hybrid renderer or rasterization without raytracing at all and alternative method for Global illumination.

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
Great video. I seem to remember DF doing something similar for RDR2.

Have they done similar videos for other games?

I like trying to approximate console settings and tweaking from there to figure out what sacrifices I'm willing to make for framerate.

OP
OP
Uzupedro

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Great video. I seem to remember DF doing something similar for RDR2.

Have they done similar videos for other games?

I like trying to approximate console settings and tweaking from there to figure out what sacrifices I'm willing to make for framerate.
They did with AC: Valhalla(comparing with PS5) and Watch Dogs: Legion(comparing with XSX) recently.

BSherrod

Oct 27, 2017
What issues did you have with BO3 on PC? I've played 220+ hours in the past 7 months with friends and none of us have had any issues. The mod support through Steam puts it above the console versions for me, and it ran acceptably for my friend even on a non-gaming laptop from a few years ago.
I tried to play the game about two months ago and it constantly crashed on PC, 2700X + 2070 Super. After trying a bunch of things I just uninstalled and moved on to the next game in my COD campaign run through.

Also, glad this video exists, because I asked about console comparable settings in the OT awhile back, so thanks for that Digital Foundry. I wish we normalized having accessible console settings in PC games if only for comparing purposes. Also, the fact that certain settings go lower is unfortunate that those aren't accessible.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
All this speculation about whether or not a current GPU will keep up with a PS5 is kind of moot I think just because it's a hypothetical situation that never really pops up in the real world. There was a 7 year gap between the Ps4 and Ps5 release, how many hardcore PC gamers kept the same GPU for that long?

The fact that it's a struggle to even find benchmarks for PS4-tier graphics cards as a point of comparison is pretty telling - noone who is interested in high-end PC gaming still uses such old hardware.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Again pathtracing title won't be common out of maybe Minecraft. The measure for 99,99999% of the title will be hybrid renderer or rasterization without raytracing at all and alternative method for Global illumination.
Sure, but you can't use such titles to assess actual RT performance of the h/w. That's my point.

Jun 17, 2018
All this speculation about whether or not a current GPU will keep up with a PS5 is kind of moot I think just because it's a hypothetical situation that never really pops up in the real world. There was a 7 year gap between the Ps4 and Ps5 release, how many hardcore PC gamers kept the same GPU for that long?

The fact that it's a struggle to even find benchmarks for PS4-tier graphics cards as a point of comparison is pretty telling - noone who is interested in high-end PC gaming still uses such old hardware.

Tbh I had my 970 from December 2014 until April this year and it did me absolutely fine. It was running almost everything I threw at it at medium/high settings at 1080p. Fantastic value for money.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
[
People buy into brands. You think Beats headphones were the best quality/value for your money?
People buy what they want to buy, value is subjective, that is why some brands do better than others. The 'ecosystem value' matters nothing if the games on the aren't the ones you want to play. And that is why there are two brands ahead of the third in the console space.
Your 'value' is different than mine, and yours is not "better' than mine or viceversa either.