• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
You know i remember when folks said that when Digital Foundry claimed you needed a 2080 Super to be on par with a PS5 in AC Valhalla, the biggest excuse was that AC games are notoriously poorly optimized on PC and favour consoles.

lol what do folks think now.

That's not what people said. People said an RX 5700XT performed on par with a 2080ti, which was showing a anomaly when it comes to usual gpu results, likely due to the amd partnership

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
Yeah like Assassin's Creed Valhalla - BLOPS uses lower res alpha effects on console. We could not do a complete match in Valhalla as well due to alpha effects setting being lower on PS5, and then for some reason that grass density setting being higher on PS5. Cases like WDL may end up being the rarity where we can do more perfect matches.
I wonder why they just dont include those lower or in WDL's case those higher settings in the PC versions. Really weird and makes your job harder too lmao

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Honestly I would say the only system that disappointed me a bit(on paper, don't have aby yet) was the Series S, the price is great but running at the One S level and such took a hit on the system

I'm enjoying the Series S. But yeah it running games at One S is disappointing and on paper, it's a bit more powerful than the PS4 Pro without using RDNA2.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting stuff. Really enjoyed this and the AC Valhalla video doing the same thing.

It's really unfortunate that PC doesn't have a setting to go as low as PS5 fo transparency effects, but it IS really impressive nevertheless that the PS5 version can trade blows with a 3070 at its closest equivalent settings. Yes, we know it's not AS powerful, of course. But what we are seeing is that the PS5 is punching above its weight.

Yueezy

Dec 12, 2020
Definitely PS5 or XSX is better choice for gaming for the price right now when GPU price is just too much to accept. The problem is it is also impossible to find the console in stock lol.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Yea, definitely noticed the massive CPU cost of RT in this game while playing. Ended up with it turned off myself.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
The Control patch dropping on Feb2nd is going to be one hell of a comparison, sure the thread about the video Alex will eventually create will be calm and measured

jads87

Feb 18, 2019
I still don't understand why console level settings are not available on PC games. What is stopping developers from adding them as a option to the menu?

Zelus

Oct 27, 2017
AC:V runs amazing on AMD hardware on PC, it only runs like shit on Nvidia.
COD is more intresting on PC, because it seems every second title runs poorly, AW runs great, BLOPS 3 runs shit, MW runs great, BLOPS CW runs shit. etc, I guess it's the different studios.
Does it really? I get a locked 60 on my 3060 ti at 1440p with ultra settings.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
As the analysis points out, the percentage at the end of the video have to be thought of more loosely since the PC is running higher settings which is depressing it's performance. In the case of alpha effects resolution, it could have a proportionally large effect!
What about the mobile 3.5ghz Zen 2 CPU inside the PS5 versus 10900K ~5Ghz CPU you (apparently) used on PC? You don't think it could give some fps advantage on PC?

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PS5 and XSX future is very very bright. 60FPS games are here to stay. And in a couple of years we'll be comparing PS5 vs RTX4060-4070 and seeing that it's still on par because developers will finally learn to fully utilize these consoles. I can't wait for upcoming masterpieces from Guerilla Games, Naughty Dog, Playground Games.

Annie85x

Mar 12, 2020
Has there been any sort of update regarding the crashes on PS5? It crashed my console once and haven't tried since but would quite like to give it another go.

Is it still a known issue?

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017
Disappointing that the PS5 mostly uses medium-low settings. I don't think the video supports the "PS5 is a beast" reactions in this thread.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Disappointing that the PS5 mostly uses medium-low settings. I don't think the video supports the "PS5 is a beast" reactions in this thread.
There were a few highs and highest in there as well. They also state in 2014 a sub ÂŁ100 card could match the Xbox 1 and ps4. That's impossible with these new systems.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017

its mainly because how it fares framerate wise at that cutscene part towards the end.
there it is seemingly at native 4k, and gpus are also tested with similar settings (though i guess it wasn't possible to have them exactly matching)

OP
OP
Uzupedro

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
I mean, it seems good to me?
gCR3nTQ.png

The lack of Ray Traced AO is a bummer but the rest is on the ''good enough'' level when comparing to higher settings.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Dictator how much of a hit does high resolution alpha particles usually incur?
It can be extremely signifikant for Performance - I will try and dig up an example if I can tomorrow.
What about the mobile 3.5ghz Zen 2 CPU inside the PS5 versus 10900K ~5Ghz CPU you (apparently) used on PC? You don't think it could give some fps advantage on PC?
It is a gpu limited scene on PS5, and I am testing the GPU, hence why keeping the GPU free of Limits with a 10900K is imperative . That is the Status quo and methodology of checking GPU Performance which is what the video focused on primarily.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
well, the PC version is running higher settings for some effects, so there's a handicap

For the price of that 3070 here (and that's just the GPU part) you can get two PS5Ds so I think it's still very impressive. You think anyone would notice the difference with some of these effects?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For the price of that 3070 here (and that's just the GPU part) you can get two PS5Ds so I think it's still very impressive. You think anyone would notice the difference with some of these effects?
as soon as you throw price into the equation then PC always loses. value isn't the point of comparison here, it's where the the PS5 (and in a way, the Series as well) lie in the stack. you'll never hear a value argument from me, I play on a Switch and barely use my gaming-capable pc for games

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, PS5 performing nearly as fast as an RTX 3070 / RX 6800. Super impressive, honestly.
I must have watched a different video cause in the one I saw PS5 was running between 2070 Super and 3070 with the latter two running at a higher quality settings.
Which means that at similar settings it would probably be around 2070 Super, which is essentially a 2080, which is kind of in line with a general expectation from PS5 and XSX.
What's "wow"?

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
I must have watched a different video cause in the one I saw PS5 was running between 2070 Super and 3070 with the latter two running at a higher quality settings.
Which means that at similar settings it would probably be around 2070 Super, which is essentially a 2080, which is kind of in line with a general expectation from PS5 and XSX.
What's "wow"?
The fact that it costs $399/$499 depending on the flavor.

And this is super early gen. Consoles tend to perform better vs. same PC hardware as time goes on.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't new information though is it?
And technically a 2070S level GPU should cost $329 once 3060 is here.
A 6700 or 6700XT would be an even better comparison point but alas this is likely six months away.

And this is super early gen. Consoles tend to perform better vs. same PC hardware as time goes on.
That's a popular myth but there isn't a lot to back it up. It's a pity really that no one cared to properly benchmark some comparable PC GPUs against last gen consoles in early vs late titles.
IMO games tend to push PC h/w way harder with higher settings and options as time goes and somehow people are seeing this as "consoles start to perform better" while consoles actually still perform quite similarly if you use the same settings on PC.
Some degree of complex and specific optimizations for console h/w definitely help them in the long run but considering that consoles are very close to PC h/w these days the same optimizations are helping on PC as well more often than not.

Last edited:

Optmst

Apr 9, 2020
This isn't new information though is it?
And technically a 2070S level GPU should cost $329 once 3060 is here.
A 6700 or 6700XT would be an even better comparison point but alas this is likely six months away.

That's a popular myth but there isn't a lot to back it up. It's a pity really that no one cared to properly benchmark some comparable PC GPUs against last gen consoles in early vs late titles.
IMO games tend to push PC h/w way harder with higher settings and options as time goes and somehow people are seeing this as "consoles start to perform better" while consoles actually still perform quite similarly if you use the same settings on PC.
Some degree of complex and specific optimizations for console h/w definitely help them in the long run but considering that consoles are very close to PC h/w these days the same optimizations are helping on PC as well more often than not.
Gtx 750 ti is often compared to XBO's gpu
This how it's performaning in modern titles

And here is Gtx 760 vs PS4

It's not a myth

Last edited:

uptownsoul

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
I think this shows that "pound for pound" (or "power for price" in this case), PS5 digital is the best value in console gaming.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
It's also important to keep in mind that Treyarch's entries in the series always seem to run worse than the other CoD studios' (this has been true all the way back to the 360/PS3 days), that this game was made in much, much less time than the series usually gets and released on even more platforms, all during a pandemic. The performance it's getting in the campaign is seriously impressive with all of those factors in mind.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
If you judge a console by its ability to run games on parity with a PC, it will always let you down.

Judge a console by what Naughty Dog can do with it.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
All I know is my GTX 780 was significantly better my Xbox One with a lot of games, until I tried playing Gears of War 4 on it. It still ran better, but textures would consistently fail to load leading to a significantly worse looking game overall. I'm guessing its 3GB VRAM was what was holding me back here.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
I love how everyone is ignoring Alex's post about the settings being much higher on PC in the comparison so they can rush to post 'PS5 as good as a 3070! Cerny is a beast!'

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Can I ask a serious question, using a very relevant comparison.

Whatever Call of Duty gets released in I dunno...2027, comparing its performance and visuals on the PS5 vs. this same PC.

This way, you're eliminating other variables such as parts of the game being developed to run well on the PS4, and developers have had time to discover the ins and outs of PS5 hardware.

Or to put it another way, if this is the best there is, we're in trouble guys.

Yopis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
East Coast
User Banned (1 Week): Platform Warring; Prior Bans for Antagonizing Fellow Member

Shhhh people only hear what they want. For those that can't afford both this makes them feel good.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Shhhh people only hear what they want. For those that can't afford both this makes them feel good.

That's a weird take. 500 bucks is a lot of money, but I don't think saying the PS5 is a "beast" amounts to covering up for the system's weaknesses. As I said, wait until whatever Call of Duty releases a few years from now and we'll be laughing at this thread.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
It can be extremely signifikant for Performance - I will try and dig up an example if I can tomorrow.

It is a gpu limited scene on PS5, and I am testing the GPU, hence why keeping the GPU free of Limits with a 10900K is imperative . That is the Status quo and methodology of checking GPU Performance which is what the video focused on primarily.
But how do you know it's 100% GPU limited on PS5? Why should it be 100% GPU limited? They are using RT shadows on PS5 (by the way the RT shadows on PS5 are of higher quality of those seen on XSX, the difference is very noticeable), shouldn't RT be CPU demanding? And often even in the case of benchs with GPU limited scenes, we still often see games performing a bit different when using different CPUs.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018

That magical console optimisation coming for PS5/SX is something PC gamers have been waiting for as well since 2018 when Turing released, tech like VRS & Mesh shading grant big performance boosts & almost no games use it. Both PC/Consoles will experience a leap when PS4/Xbox is dropped.
I believe they said Modern Warfare 2019 would have VRS, but i don't think it ended up being implemented.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
AC:V runs amazing on AMD hardware on PC, it only runs like shit on Nvidia.
COD is more intresting on PC, because it seems every second title runs poorly, AW runs great, BLOPS 3 runs shit, MW runs great, BLOPS CW runs shit. etc, I guess it's the different studios.
What issues did you have with BO3 on PC? I've played 220+ hours in the past 7 months with friends and none of us have had any issues. The mod support through Steam puts it above the console versions for me, and it ran acceptably for my friend even on a non-gaming laptop from a few years ago.