• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro

Just how powerful are the next-gen consoles compared to PC? We started to answer this question by looking at Assassin's Creed Valhalla, but with the implementation of ray tracing, Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War is another fascinating test case - and the answers are surprising. Join Alex Battaglia for the full low-down.

Written version: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2021-call-of-duty-black-ops-cold-war-pc-vs-ps5
Laziness hit and I won't do a TL:DW, so here some quotes
The volumetric lighting setting controls the resolution of lit volumetric fog in the game, where PS5 is closest to PC's low setting. Water tessellation controls the displacement of water, offering up more detail and this is turned off on PlayStation 5. Other features are engaged though - motion blur on PS5 is equivalent to the PC game with its 'all' setting, yet has fewer samples in motion than the closest 'high' quality level. Meanwhile, texture quality on PS5 is equivalent to PC's maxed out setting, as long as the high quality texture pack is installed.
...ray tracing settings are intriguing. It is supported on PS5 and Xbox Series X in the form of ray traced shadows, but I swiftly discovered that even when enabled, RT isn't present throughout the game. For example, it seems that the Fractured Jaw mission on consoles does not use ray tracing at all - presumably because the nature of the content is just too taxing to make the effect viable with a target 60fps. Memory usage of RT is also significant, which may offer one reason why Xbox Series S does not feature ray tracing at all. Another aspect to factor in is the additional CPU burden - RT requires a 'BVH structure' which is effectively a copy of scene geometry to shoot rays at in order to calculate the relevant effects. Fractured Jaw is a very complex stage, so setting up this scene for RT will not be insignificant. Consoles drop back to standard shadow maps here, and it's interesting to note that PS5 seems to possess shadow quality that's in excess of PC's ultra preset.
However, the air strip set piece in Turkey throws up an interesting anomaly: on PlayStation 5, it seems that DRS is disabled and all of my pixel counts suggest native 4K rendering throughout - and yes, performance can't sustain the 60fps target as a consequence, hitting a 45.6fps average across the sequence. This is our best shot at directly stacking up console vs PC, but there's a very important caveat to factor in - the lower precision effects buffer on PS5, which we can't replicate on PC, and where we can't even begin to measure the possible performance penalty on our GPUs. Put simply, ballpark is the best we're going to get.

Regardless, at the top end, an RTX 3090 delivers an 81.2 per cent boost to performance in this segment at equivalent settings, while RTX 3070 is just 8.6 per cent faster. An RTX 2070 Super can't match PlayStation 5 - in fact, it's 20 per cent slower. On the AMD side of things, I found the RX 6800 XT's result to be off-pace - it has 72 compute units vs the 36 inside PlayStation 5, it's based on the same architecture, and clock speeds are broadly equivalent, yet it delivered just 29.4 per cent of extra performance. Whether it's an optimisation issue, or a driver issue, I expected more.

It's an interesting exercise, but in this case mostly an academic one in several respects. Beyond the issue we have in precisely matching settings and where we can't access dynamic resolution scaling on PC (more's the pity!) it's not entirely representative of actual use-case scenarios. Take the RTX 2070 Super, for example.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, PS5 performing nearly as fast as an RTX 3070 / RX 6800. Super impressive, honestly.

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017
On the AMD side of things, I found the RX 6800 XT's result to be off-pace - it has 72 compute units vs the 36 inside PlayStation 5, it's based on the same architecture, and clock speeds are broadly equivalent, yet it delivered just 29.4 per cent of extra performance. Whether it's an optimisation issue, or a driver issue, I expected more.

Damn

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
Impressive how well the PS5 is stacking up to the new GPUs, especially as this game is an unstable mess on the console.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
As the analysis points out, the percentage at the end of the video have to be thought of more loosely since the PC is running higher settings which is depressing it's performance. In the case of alpha effects resolution, it could have a proportionally large effect!

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
The PS5 Digital in particular is just an unfathomably good deal at $400. Astounding what they have in that box for $400.
Honestly I would say the only system that disappointed me a bit(on paper, don't have aby yet) was the Series S, the price is great but running at the One S level and such took a hit on the system

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Wow, PS5 performing nearly as fast as an RTX 3070 / RX 6800. Super impressive, honestly.

Cerny delivered !
This is just the beginning. When true next-gen games are develoepd with PS5 in midn and having RT developed from scratch in them and not as a later post-process or brute forced then you will be even more amazed by the results.

GhostofWar

Apr 5, 2019
Cerny delivered !
This is just the beginning. When true next-gen games are develoepd with PS5 in midn and having RT developed from scratch in them and not as a later post-process or brute forced then you will be even more amazed by the results.

" but I swiftly discovered that even when enabled, RT isn't present throughout the game. For example, it seems that the Fractured Jaw mission on consoles does not use ray tracing at all - presumably because the nature of the content is just too taxing to make the effect viable with a target 60fps. "

amazed.

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
You know i remember when folks said that when Digital Foundry claimed you needed a 2080 Super to be on par with a PS5 in AC Valhalla, the biggest excuse was that AC games are notoriously poorly optimized on PC and favour consoles.

lol what do folks think now.

OP
OP
Uzupedro

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Btw, as Alex mentioned in both text and video: You can't activate DRS on PC, DLSS is disabled for the sake of comparison and the PS5 DRS is disabled on this sequence(likely due a bug), yes, the PS5 is performing very well and I'm not trying to dismiss that, but what we are seeing is not what would be a ''real life'' scenario for either machine.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
$400 PS5 vs high end PC they don't give a total price for, pretty damn impressive

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Where is the XSX comparison, I want to know why this thing always crashes in Zombies (game crash not system) but the PS5 version appears to be fine.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I would say the only system that disappointed me a bit(on paper, don't have aby yet) was the Series S, the price is great but running at the One S level and such took a hit on the system
I still think that, paired with Game Pass, the Series S is a great value. Particularly from non-enthusiasts who honestly won't care or notice much if games aren't being rendered in 4K. Not many of us here on an enthusiast forum are going to be all excited about it, but imagine how things will look as stock becomes more and more available, this generation starts to normalize, and bundles start to be introduced.

Imagine a Halo Infinite Series S bundle with a free month of Game Pass for $300 next Christmas. Tremendous value and would fly off the shelves.

PS5 Digital does appear to be the best value of all the options though.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
As the analysis points out, the percentage at the end of the video have to be thought of more loosely since the PC is running higher settings which is depressing it's performance. In the case of alpha effects resolution, it could have a proportionally large effect!
Was that a bug on the PS5? So DRS wasn't enabled and it ran at a full 4K res?

Which allowed you to make direct comparisons with PC?

So there are no misunderstandings, because the internet has a tendency to takes things out of context.

Because I'm pretty sure those earlier bugs which could cause some performance issues on the PS5 were resolved.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
You know i remember when folks said that when Digital Foundry claimed you needed a 2080 Super to be on par with a PS5 in AC Valhalla, the biggest excuse was that AC games are notoriously poorly optimized on PC and favour consoles.

lol what do folks think now.
AC:V runs amazing on AMD hardware on PC, it only runs like shit on Nvidia.
COD is more intresting on PC, because it seems every second title runs poorly, AW runs great, BLOPS 3 runs shit, MW runs great, BLOPS CW runs shit. etc, I guess it's the different studios.

GhostofWar

Apr 5, 2019

That'll be ignored, like the other 16 minutes of your video explaining how it's not as clear cut as made out by some of these comments. Thanks for the video by the way, some interesting things shown in there.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
I don't think this is a 1:1 comparison. While I think the PS5 and XSX are great for the price, Alex mentions that some settings can't be turned off and that one entire level was missing RT due to how taxing it is. The 3070, 2080 are not missing those effects so say that it's punching with a 3070 is incorrect right?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this is a 1:1 comparison. While I think the PS5 and XSX are great for the price, Alex mentions that some settings can't be turned off and that one entire level was missing RT due to how taxing it is. The 3070, 2080 are not missing those effects so say that it's punching with a 3070 is incorrect right?
aye, some effects are custom for consoles, and are lower than the PC equivalent settings

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
PC version is kind of shit, looks worse than Modern Warfare and runs worse on my 3080 even with dlss on. Operation Fractured Jaw and a few other missions runs like crap even with nothing going on, frame rate drop 10fps when I aim down sight.

Pipyakas

Jul 20, 2018
One more point to be considered is that both DRS on consoles and DLSS on PC is not in effect, which is the optimal way to play the game.
Nontheless, results are interesting. There's no time better than this for the new consoles shine through on the gaming value front

Plum

May 31, 2018

I mean the fact that it can get so close to a 3070 despite the extreme difference that GPU alone costing the same amount as the entire PS5 console should say something; when you factor in the fact that a PC is not just a GPU then that price difference skyrockets. That and, lets be honest here, it's not like those visual differences are in any way noticeable to the vast majority of people out there; that's even when they're being directly compared.

Yeah, there is DLSS, but it's not like console games are always going to aim for 4K either. Digital Foundry themselves have repeatedly said that we're in a "post-resolution," age and, personally, after playing games like Demon's Souls, TLoU:P2, Days Gone, etc (alongside a bunch of PC games running at 1440p) on a 55 inch 4K TV only 6 foot away from me, I'd argue that they're 100% right.

Jun 17, 2018
Excited to see what Infinity Ward can do with the hardware since MW2019 was really impressive visually imo.

Curious as to why there was no Series X comparison here, it would be interesting to see how it stacks up considering the additional power.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
Excited to see what Infinity Ward can do with the hardware since MW2019 was really impressive visually imo.

Curious as to why there was no Series X comparison here, it would be interesting to see how it stacks up considering the additional power.

Its a paid promotion. Sony has marketing rights.

EDIT:: Or not, maybe its the advert at the beginning of the video that flags it as paid for content?

Respawn

Dec 5, 2017
This is good news for the future of things. Tools get better and games get better. Impressive stuff.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Seems like the comparison isn't quite as good as Watch Dogs, where they were actually able to fully match console settings, whereas consoles have some setting here that's too low to match with an unknown performance hit.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Seems like the comparison isn't quite as good as Watch Dogs, where they were actually able to fully match console settings, whereas consoles have some setting here that's too low to match with an unknown performance hit.
Yeah like Assassin's Creed Valhalla - BLOPS uses lower res alpha effects on console. We could not do a complete match in Valhalla as well due to alpha effects setting being lower on PS5, and then for some reason that grass density setting being higher on PS5. Cases like WDL may end up being the rarity where we can do more perfect matches.