• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

View: https://youtu.be/s-UpNaAkEvI
This one's VERY interesting! One of the games that kicked off Microsoft's introduction to next generation gaming has finally arrived - and it's not just available for Xbox Series consoles, it's also out now on PlayStation 5 and... Nintendo Switch? How do the three 'current-gen' console versions compare? What about the ray tracing and 120Hz support? And if this is a game designed for the new wave of consoles, how on earth has the developer delivered a port for Nintendo Switch? John Linneman has the answers.
www.eurogamer.net

Bright Memory: Infinite - a technically impressive FPS action game tested on PS5 and Xbox Series consoles

Digital Foundry tests all console versions of this impressive shooter/slasher.

summary might be a bit late
  • made primarily by one person on UE4
  • pc version uses Nvidia's RiSTIR GI solution RT AO and shadows, consoles do not
  • RT reflections on consoles and pc
  • light leaking on console
  • PC has additional mesh detail
  • PC has more reflective surfaces and rougher RT reflections than console
  • consoles has more foliage in some areas
  • console has ghosting through it's TAA
  • best systems order: SX, PS5, SS, Switch
  • no RT or 120Hz on Series S
  • RT reflections are low res, but better than SSR due to the many wet surfaces
  • BVH is missing some objects like particles
  • SX
    • dynamic 2160p in default and RT modes
    • 120hz is dynamic 1440p
  • PS5
    • dynamic 2160p in both, dips more
    • 120hz drops to around 80% of 1440p
  • SS
    • default mode only; around 80-90% of 1440p
  • Switch
    • default mode only, 80% of 1080p/720p
    • minimal dof, lights removed, lower texture quality
    • no underwater distortion
    • scene complexity is greatly reduced
    • lower than low on pc
  • all systems have adjustable motion blur and fov
  • performance
    • SX
      • default: 60fps with no dips
      • RT: mainly 60fps with some drops, some segments can cause bigger drops
      • 120hz: mainly 120fps with some drops
    • PS5
      • default: similar
      • RT: similar
      • 120hz: you need to set ps5 to performance mode, outside of the game; can't hold 120hz
    • SS
    • switch
      • default: mainly 30, but poor frame pacing
    • some bugs, like crash to dashboard; some scenes start at 30fps, and need to be reset
  • impressive work for such a minimal dev team, but also inherits the issues with a minimal dev team aspiring to something greater
  • 2 hours, $20, very fun
  • don't disable vsync. it's trash

Last edited:

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Got the 1000G in this the other day. It ran well enough on Xbox (Had one random crash though).

The Switch performance is one thing i'm very interested in hearing about.

Mesharey

Dec 7, 2017
Kuwait
I finished it a while ago and it was a lot of fun, played on XSX using 120 FPS mode and it ran well, enjoyed it a lot.

Gonna check the video later.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
This was one of the most interesting looking games at the Xbox reveal.

I'll likely pick it up next Steam sale.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
This game looks insane on my 3080 @ 4k. Will give this a watch later as intrigued to see how well it holds up on consoles. Played a few months back, I had a blast with the game, short and sweet.

OP
OP
ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
summary done. hella impressive given the team and scope. switch version is very good, but bad framepacing. 4k RT at 60fps? on a console!? surely you jest! 120hz is the best feeling for obvious reasons, though marred on PS5. series s is solid but only one mode; they probably could have fit in an RT mode, but I guess there were other bottlenecks

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't this supposed to run at 60 on Switch?
library-is.gif

DKMGT

Banned
Jun 19, 2022
Something about this game just doesn't look right to me, it almost makes me a little nauseous. is it the swaying? I just don't like looking at it for some reason

Jun 25, 2022
This was made by one person? That's insane. You have to wonder how a big publisher can't achieve a target frame rate on the newest consoles but one person does it on 4 different platforms. Does the PC version have any shader compilation issues?

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Well, don't blame me for believing this was 60 on Switch.

oh that's some deceptive marketing right there.

Is it possible to turn off vsync on Switch to allow for an unlocked framerate by chance? The other consoles let you apparently.

Yoshi's Crafted World, No More Heroes 3 and Travis Strikes Again

I didn't know Yoshi CW was UE. I thought NMH3 was 30?

Dragon Ball FighterZ

And since you didn't specify UE4, Mortal Kombat 11

oh duh, I've literally played DBFZ on Switch. I guess I just forgot it was UE4.

May 10, 2019
Great summary write up OP! Have it on my wishlist and planning to get it soon. Still chipping away from my backlog but I like what I've seen.

Is the first one part of a story that continues into this one or is it standalone?

OP
OP
ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This was made by one person? That's insane. You have to wonder how a big publisher can't achieve a target frame rate on the newest consoles but one person does it on 4 different platforms. Does the PC version have any shader compilation issues?
achieving framerates and resolutions are decisions you have to make at the beginning of development and adhere to them

MK11 is 60fps on Switch? I've heard the port was lousy. We're there other issues?
it's a pretty good port all things considered

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

View: https://youtu.be/s-UpNaAkEvI

www.eurogamer.net

Bright Memory: Infinite - a technically impressive FPS action game tested on PS5 and Xbox Series consoles

Digital Foundry tests all console versions of this impressive shooter/slasher.

summary might be a bit late
  • made primarily by one person on UE4
  • pc version uses Nvidia's RiSTIR GI solution RT AO and shadows, consoles do not
  • RT reflections on consoles and pc
  • light leaking on console
  • PC has additional mesh detail
  • PC has more surfaces and rougher RT reflections than pc
  • consoles has more foliage in some areas
  • console has ghosting through it's TAA
  • best systems order: SX, PS5, SS, Switch
  • no RT or 120Hz on Series S
  • RT reflections are low res, but better than SSR due to the many wet surfaces
  • BVH is missing some objects like particles
  • SX
    • dynamic 2160p in default and RT modes
    • 120hz is dynamic 1440p
  • PS5
    • dynamic 2160p in both, dips more
    • 120hz drops to around 80% of 1440p
  • SS
    • default mode only; around 80-90% of 1440p
  • Switch
    • default mode only, 80% of 1080p/720p
    • minimal dof, lights removed, lower texture quality
    • no underwater distortion
    • scene complexity is greatly reduced
    • lower than low on pc
  • all systems have adjustable motion blur and fov
  • performance
    • SX
      • default: 60fps with no dips
      • RT: mainly 60fps with some drops, some segments can cause bigger drops
      • 120hz: mainly 120fps with some drops
    • PS5
      • RT: similar
      • 120hz: you need to set ps5 to performance mode, outside of the game; can't hold 120hz
    • SS
    • switch
      • default: mainly 30, but poor frame pacing
    • some bugs, like crash to dashboard; some scenes start at 30fps, and need to be reset
  • impressive work for such a minimal dev team, but also inherits the issues with a minimal dev team aspiring to something greater
  • 2 hours, $20, very fun
  • don't disable vsync. it's trash

Thanks for the summary. It sure seems like the Series X is outperforming the PS5 in pretty much every new title nowadays.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Switch version looks damn impressive, just the frame pacing to sort out but IQ and performance looks really good.

Will definitely pick this up at $10-15 since it looks like a fun 2 hours

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
it's extremely rare that i have no idea what a game is, but i have no idea what this gtame is.

Wasn't always the case in the first year or so with these consoles, but that looks to have changed.

rumbling was always that the tools were behind/late compared to PS5, which is a thing with diminishing returns, as it's less that PS5 would always have a lead there and more that XBOX would eventually catch up.

aronmayo

Jul 29, 2020
This game just looks insanely good for a one-man developed title. The gameplay itself has had a lot of good reviews too, which is also shocking. The guy is clearly very talented.

Yeah first year of most console gens should not be used as the standard. IIRC the PS3 outperformed many 360 multiplat games until later in the generation?
99% of games in that generation ran significantly better on 360 than they did on PS3. All the way through the generation. There were some exceptions where PS3 had the upper hand, though, and IIRC it was primarily Japanese developed games that had advantages on PS3.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah first year of most console gens should not be used as the standard. IIRC the PS3 outperformed many 360 multiplat games until later in the generation?

Nah, 360 was ahead in practically every case—often by a wide margin early in the generation.

This game just looks insanely good for a one-man developed title. The gameplay itself has had a lot of good reviews too, which is also shocking. The guy is clearly very talented.

99% of games in that generation ran significantly better on 360 than they did on PS3. All the way through the generation. There were some exceptions where PS3 had the upper hand, though, and IIRC it was primarily Japanese developed games that had advantages on PS3.

Base PS4 outperformed the base Xbox One from day one as well and never relinquished that lead.

Series X overtaking the PS5 in performance 2 years in is definitely not the norm. I don't know that it's ever happened before.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Base PS4 outperformed the base Xbox One from day one as well and never relinquished that lead.

Series X overtaking the PS5 in performance 2 years in is definitely not the norm. I don't know that it's ever happened before.
PS4 was clearly more powerful tho. 360 and PS3 was an unknown due to exotic nature of both machines for their time.

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
I'm glad I got the original on Steam while it was on early access, which included the free upgrade. Looking forward to dig in tonight.

DanielG123

Jul 14, 2020
This was made by one person? That's insane. You have to wonder how a big publisher can't achieve a target frame rate on the newest consoles but one person does it on 4 different platforms.
This game wasn't made by one person. The "first" game titled merely, "Bright Memory" was made by one guy. Infinite was produced by a small studio.