• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

Every point of the original Half-Life is reworked in Black Mesa - a remake project that's been on-going for well past a decade. Alex looks at the main differences that bring this more in line with recent Source Engine titles.

Subscribe for more Digital Foundry: http://bit.ly/DFSubscribe Join the DF Patreon, support the team more closely and get pristine quality video downloads: https://www.digitalfoundry.net

AndrewDTF

Nov 25, 2019
I cant believe they actually finishing it. I was aware of BM: Source since 2008 trailer. Also tried 2012 mod version and then bought in 2015 Steam version and never touched game since.
Cant wait to play.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A Half-Life 1 remake, Halo 1 is back on PC, the sequel to a game called Doom is coming out... confusing timeline but as an old school PC FPS fan I couldn't be happier :)

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
I am working on that... right now!
Although I am not sure how this reflects on that :)
People are complaing a lot about the differences in the art style, saying that Halo 1 had minimalistic structures( there are good examples in the thread that unfortunately I can't post right now because I'm on cellphone) and the remake changes that throwing too much objects in the walls for example.

I'm not saying they are wrong, I do believe that some changes were exaggerated, but after seeing the explanation here about Half Life 1 things make more sense.

edit:
It's just...too much?

Like 2001 Halo is too bland:

KehCcFi.jpg

But 2011 Halo is over-saturated with detail.

ZVn58nL.jpg

I don't know how I'm going to play through it yet.

Last edited:

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
I really like what they did updating some of the levels/areas, as well as tweaks to the characters and some of the minor story sequences. It's not just a graphics update, you can tell a lot of work went into this!

The only aspect I'm critical on is I wish they'd been able to push the graphics/animations a bit further.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I remember playing this when it first came out (without Xen) as a mod and I thought "Well, maybe I will play this now and the last bit when it arrives in a few months or so". Welp.
It's an incredible remake and, honestly, I feel like playing it again. The team behind it did an incredible job.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I remember when this project was still in its infancy, and we'd get updates showing things like they were adding ADS to some guns, and people were understandably cynical and doubtful of the dev team's abilities. I even recall seeing some posters at the old place saying things like (I'm paraphrasing), "I can't believe these guys actually think they can do Half-Life better than Valve," etc. and then the first release hit and people were floored at how well it turned out. It's really been a cool thing to watch unfold.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
The original Half Life is still among my top 5 gaming experiences ever. Being that I just got back to PC gaming for the first time in 2 decades, didn't even think about this. This is as exciting as hell.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I think so. But it is still shows as an early access game to me in Steam and in the video he said something about how it is now in its final form (if I've heard it correctly). I'm a bit confused.
The game is finished. The release candidate 1.0 version has been on public beta for the last few weeks. The official release will just fix bugs and improve performance.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
Downloading now. I was thinking about this game and how I wasted money because I never played (not even the original). Looks like that is the opportunity I was asking for.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
When he got stuck on the wrong side of the door, I kind of assumed he'd just noclip through it.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
Does anybody noticed some heavy stutters when you move camera? Tried everything (capping 60 fps with RTSS and nvidia control panel, borderless windowed mode) - nothing helps..