• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I think DF is lucky to have people like John who appreciates not only the big titles everyone's already talking about but the more niche stuff. It's easy to forget how important it actually is that people even have the possibility of broadening their horizons. This is one of the few ways you reduce the perception to gamers that there's only those 5 highly marketed games that come out each year.

Grayson

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
He definitely got me looking a couple I hadn't noticed. Good list.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
If I could separate artist from art i (or dev from game in this case) Ion Fury would be in my top 3 easily, but I can't sadly. That whole debacle killed my interest in finishing the game too. Sad cause i really loved what i played

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
Great looking list, John thanks.

I'm super impressed with Ion Fury, Amid Evil and Blazing Chrome in how they nail it and also by going back to how they were built back then.

Don't think I've played any Ace Combat game, they've always looked exciting and novel though. AC 6 looked the most tempting I recall.

Last edited:

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
I think DF is lucky to have people like John who appreciates not only the big titles everyone's already talking about but the more niche stuff. It's easy to forget how important it actually is that people even have the possibility of broadening their horizons. This is one of the few ways you reduce the perception to gamers that there's only those 5 highly marketed games that come out each year.

Very well said.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Where would you put sekiro?
Ya know, of the six SoulsBorne style games the only two I have not completed are Dark Souls 2 and Sekiro.

Sekiro is very well made and I did enjoy it but something about the world failed to keep me playing until the end. So it's good but also a tad disappointing for me.

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
Ace Combat 7 is also my game of the year. Though I understand it's too niche to be mainstream despite being a rather accessible action game.

PC98_Audi

Producer @ Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Raleigh
We are all lucky to have John

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
Ya know, of the six SoulsBorne style games the only two I have not completed are Dark Souls 2 and Sekiro.

Sekiro is very well made and I did enjoy it but something about the world failed to keep me playing until the end. So it's good but also a tad disappointing for me.
I think the world lacks atmosphere because: its generally much brighter than the other games, sculptor's idols are all over the place, the world isn't as challenging and Sekiro's mobility is far greater than previous protags meaning its easy to escape weaker enemies.

I still loved it personally.

XboxCowdry

alt account
Banned
Sep 1, 2019
It's actually so nice to see AC 7 getting some credit. The game is amazing and so is the game music score .

TheBiInBilingual

THE STORE ENSURED ME THERE WOULDN'T BE FILM
Feb 22, 2018
Glad to see Ace Combat 7 getting the love it deserves.

I can't even fathom how an AC8 would look on next gen hardware. Oh my lord.

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
Lists like this are great because they get us talking about great games that might have flown under the radar (pun!?) instead of bickering over which AAA game is best. There is no objectively best game and it's a lot more fun when you just talk about great games and try new things.

Subnats

One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Ireland
9. Devil Engine: Maybe look closer at this before buying because there's currently a dispute between the developer of the game and their publisher.​
4. Ion Fury: Promoting this game despite the transphobic and homophobic developers.​

🤷‍♀️
This was really disappointing to see.
The transphobia and homophobia of the Ion Fury devs is impossible to separate from the game so it isn't a great look to see it brushed under the rug like this.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
This was really disappointing to see.
The transphobia and homophobia of the Ion Fury devs is impossible to separate from the game so it isn't a great look to see it brushed under the rug like this.
I am also disapointed to see it mentioned here. The usual "separate the art from the artist" cant even apply here as they put their backward view into the game itself. And no mention of that

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Ace Combat 7 got robbed in every way so it's good to see John looking out for us and picking up the slack where all others publications are pretending this game never existed in the first place, even in the music category

Apr 9, 2019
Well done, John, you sold Yooka-Laylee to me :). I agree that the sense of flow is an improvement over Retro's DK games. The overworld is an unexpected treat too!

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Devil Engine eh? Pretty sure that's on my wishlist.
I'm going to have to look a little more into it.

edit: Nevermind, I was thinking of Devil's Hunt.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2018
How are the Ace Combat 7 DLC missions??

Imo it's even better than the main campaign. It was everything I wanted.The soundtrack was amazing and they managed to create a very cool antagonist and plot in just 3 missions. I loved the 'The Hunt for Red October' vibe. I think it deserved to be a full game by itself.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Bought Ace Combat 7 from the Steam sale in response. I already have most of the other games on that list...

9. Devil Engine: Maybe look closer at this before buying because there's currently a dispute between the developer of the game and their publisher.​
He points that out in the video.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
Just picked up Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair thanks to the high praise from John. I've got a flight tomorrow, so I'm ready for some 2D platforming bliss.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
He points that out in the video.
Yes, that was my point.
It stands out when John goes out of his way to mention that the developer of Devil Engine is currently having a dispute with their publisher - so you might want to look into that situation before buying the game.
But then goes on to include Ion Fury in the #4 spot of this "top 11" list, and says nothing about it.

That is despite the developers of Ion Fury being blatantly transphobic and homophobic - with some of that even bleeding over into the game content itself.
Rather than including the game and pointing out the situation, as he did for Devil Engine, I wouldn't expect Ion Fury to be on the list if you cared about this at all. But John did neither.
The excuse of "separating the art from the artist" doesn't really work when their views are a part of that work, and you're paying them to experience it.

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
Does the deluxe version of Ace Combat include all the added SP DLC? As its currently sitting in my cart on PSN.

A great list of games and I'll be picking up many of those I don't own already. Except Ion Fury, fuck those guys.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Wish DF covered VR. They cover pc and console, and contrast the various versions of games. Wish they would cover PC, console and quest versions of VR titles.