• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
9. Devil Engine: Maybe look closer at this before buying because there's currently a dispute between the developer of the game and their publisher.​
4. Ion Fury: Promoting this game despite the transphobic and homophobic developers.​

🤷‍♀️

dpanim

Oct 27, 2017
Completely agree with everything that was said about Ace Combat 7. Such a great game, I need to get back to it and get that platinum trophy.

Sincerest

Jan 22, 2018
Ace Combat 7

Resident Evil 2

Ion Fury

Great fucking list.

All amazing games, I recommend everyone play these.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the dev's political leanings are disappointing but the game itself if one of the absolute best I've played in years. Killer soundtrack too.
Homophobia/transphobia and other forms of bigotry aren't "political leanings".

These people are trash. Like the game if you want, but don't come here trying to spin a narrative about what they are to make yourself feel justified (or whatever it is you're looking for).

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
9. Devil Engine: Maybe look closer at this before buying because there's currently a dispute between the developer of the game and their publisher.​
4. Ion Fury: Promoting this game despite the transphobic and homophobic developers.​

🤷‍♀️

can i emptyquote this

Cuz I have nothing to add except emphasis.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
That's my number one as well, delighted to see it get some recognition :D

Play it people!

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Homophobia/transphobia and other forms of bigotry aren't "political leanings".

These people are trash. Like the game if you want, but don't come here trying to spin a narrative about what they are to make yourself feel justified (or whatever it is you're looking for).

Not spinning anything or looking for justification, thanks.

Great game is a great game.

Do agree that the dev is disappointing though.

ditusjack

Oct 26, 2017
Not gonna lie....shocked to see Death Stranding on there, lol.
Oh, you seen nothing yet:
image.png

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Btw John, if you read this thread, just wanna say thanks again for another year of awesome content. Really looking forward to all of your deep dive analysis videos for next year's big titles!

Banana Ocelot

Dec 12, 2019
Great to see more recognition for Ace Combat 7! It was my entry point into the series and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I wish I didn't miss out on the pre-order bonus of Ace Combat 5... But 7 is absolutely worth playing, even if you haven't dabbled in arcade flight games before.

OP
OP
SmartWaffles

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
Great to see more recognition for Ace Combat 7! It was my entry point into the series and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I wish I didn't miss out on the pre-order bonus of Ace Combat 5... But 7 is absolutely worth playing, even if you haven't dabbled in arcade flight games before.
If you have a somewhat capable PC, the holy trinity is in a great place with PCSX2 emulation.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't realize John liked AC7 that much, nice. Deserves all the recognition it can get.

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
One of the few game of the year lists I look forwards to.

I really need to find time to finish Ion Fury and AC7 before Gamesageddon kicks off in March and all backlogs turn to dust.

Deleted member 82

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great list.

Pretty surprised that Shenmue III didn't make it, even though everyone including John says it's flawed.

Thank you for another year of great videos, Dark1x , Dictator , Richard, Thom, Audi and whoever else helps Digital Foundry make it what it is.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Great list.

Pretty surprised that Shenmue III didn't make it, even though everyone including John says it's flawed.

Thank you for another year of great videos, Dark1x , Dictator , Richard, Thom, Audi and whoever else helps Digital Foundry make it what it is.
Yeah, I thought about Shenmue III but, while I loved it, I still felt a tinge of disappointment by aspects of it. I was also tempted to include The Touryst and Gears 5 on there. It was originally a top 10 but then I played through Boneworks and was so impressed I had to include it.

master15

Nov 28, 2017
Yeah, I thought about Shenmue III but, while I loved it, I still felt a tinge of disappointment by aspects of it. I was also tempted to include The Touryst and Gears 5 on there. It was originally a top 10 but then I played through Boneworks and was so impressed I had to include it.

Also disappointed to see no Shenmue 3 on list but even as an ardent fan I can potentially see why. Great video and wonderful list.

Looking forward to your new videos in the New Year.

Deleted member 82

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, I had to imagine the flaws of Shenmue III were a bit too big to ignore for you and many fans. No worries though; while I was surprised, I wasn't disappointed or anything. I haven't even played it yet anyway. Happy your list turned out so diverse and original.

Anyway, looking forward to Digital Foundry 2020. And I'm still waiting for my full TMNT DF Retro episode. Gimme gimme gimme!

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Great list expect for Ion Fury being even mentioned here. Not supporting those assholes.

Blazing Chrome is amazing people. Play it!

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never played an AC game in my life. If it comes to GP I'll try it out.

Feb 26, 2018
Dark1x is the man of culture. Great to see AC7 on the first place. Really sad that some people overlooked it. Game is a pure joy and in my top 5 this year
Wanna thank you for your work! New consoles launch gonna be crazy for DF team so 2020 gonna be pretty interesting!

Jan 4, 2018
Justice has been done for Ace Combat 7.

What's truly amazing is that AC7's core development team was only between 10 and 20 people, had to endure development hell, the project nearly got cancelled and yet they managed to make a fantastic game + a fantastic DLC campaign (which is even better than the main game) I can't wait for AC8.

tenor.gif

Last edited:

DidactBRHU3

Oct 17, 2019
Fortaleza - Ceará
So happy about Ace Combat 7 being there, let alone being the top one. It is my GOTY as well, followed closely by DMC5 and Gears 5.

A return to form so masterfully crafted, I felt like being a kid playing the classics for the first time.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
I much prefer very personal GOTY lists over predictable consensus lists because they expose me to games I would never usually consider or even know about.

Added AC7 to my wishlist.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Considering John's admiration for the first two Shenmue games, the absence of Shenmue III is... saying something.

I get it though. It's just clearly not in the same league.

Serein

Mar 7, 2018
I really need to get back and finish AC7. I really enjoyed what I did play though.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
I've been looking at getting Control lately, is it still worth playing on a PS4 Pro without all the cool RT effects like on PC? Should I wait for a PS5 port (if likely)?