• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017

Our very own Dark1x presents his year-end video, covering off his personal gaming highlights of the year across a range of genres and game styles old and new.

11. Xeno Crisis
10. Boneworks
9. Devil Engine
8. Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair
7. Control
6. Blazing Chrome
5. Death Stranding
4. Ion Fury
3. Resident Evil 2
2. Amid Evil
1. Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown

Last edited:

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Is the numbered list in order or just a "here are the games I liked" kinda thing ? Because that's a number 1 I didn't expect lol.

in before Sekiro got robbed

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Nice to see Ion Fury and Amid Evil mentioned.

I thought I was done* with shooters before Dusk, Amid Evil and Ion Fury came along and reignited my passion for the genre. Now I keep my eyes peeled for other retro-shooters in the modern age.

* barring one-offs like Doom 2016

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People really liked Blazing Chrome. As a massive Contra: Hard Corps fan, BC was meh. I need to get Control down the line. I'll start YL2 today!!

Jockel

Oct 27, 2017
Berlin
Great choice for first spot, it's among the hand full of games I actually finished this year. The drama, the mechanics, the music- just a great game all around.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Oh wait, this isn't about best graphics of 2019, but John's favorite games in general list?
I guess we will see a best graphics video from DF too?

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Some fantastic choices there. Amid Evil is likely going to top mine this year. I need to put more time into Xeno Crisis and have yet to play Devil Engine.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
An eclectic and interesting mix - refreshing to just see/hear about some different games than the usual top 10 fodder.

Great video!

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
Glad John did another list. It helps highlight off the beaten path games that I'd otherwise miss that scratch that retro vibe

and he AC 7 was a great return for the franchise and felt like the refresh of the ps2 era games I loved

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Finally, I thought I was the only one putting Devil Engine on my Best Of list this year.

Once again, this reminds me that I need to get AC7 over the holiday.
Will probably snap it up on Steam soonish.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
This reminds me I need to get Control and Resident Evil 2.

Not gonna lie....shocked to see Death Stranding on there, lol.

jipewithin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just like last year, very refreshing take on past year. Thanks Dark1x, really need to check that Control out, been thinking about it for awhile. Things you mentioned about Death Stranding really nails it, most open world games are just so samey and boring but this was something very different and amazing experience.

Sams88

Oct 9, 2019
I need to play Ace Combat 7.

Everything about it appeals. I just struggle to find the time to play everything so can't justify full RRP.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
John has great taste. Happy to have someone around like him to marry the best of the past with the best of the present.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I hadn't even heard of Amid Evil. I think I'll pick it up. Out of curiosity, has anyone here (or Dark1x) played Dusk? I see that there's a bundle on Steam that includes both games for a discount, but I'm curious as to whether Dusk is as good as Amid Evil.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
AC7 does look phenomenal, damn near photo-realistic at times.

ace7game2019-02-1622-l3j0g.png

ace7game2019-02-1622-phjpq.png

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Ace Combat 7 as number 1?

hmmmmm I haven't played ace combat since the PS2 days which i loved them.

Is 7 really that damn good?

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I hadn't even heard of Amid Evil. I think I'll pick it up. Out of curiosity, has anyone here (or Dark1x) played Dusk? I see that there's a bundle on Steam that includes both games for a discount, but I'm curious as to whether Dusk is as good as Amid Evil.

Both are top shelf in the respective style of 90s shooter they're homaging (Quake & Hexen respectively).

For my money, along with Ion Fury they're the absolute best shooters released in years. Wonderfully distilled, capturing the magic of past-era shooters while layering modern sensibilities on top.

Honestly I'd have a genuinely difficult time picking a favorite of the trio. The all just so damn good. A true Sophie's Choice proposition.

May 5, 2018
Ace Combat 7 at #1!
tenor.gif

I replayed some AC7 missions yesterday and I'm pretty certain it'll be in my top 5. Great list overall too.

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
Actually the best list I've seen so far. 2019 peaked in the first month and just got worse after that.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Control.

Ace Combat 7.

Resident Evil 2.

Ion Fury.

God damn thats a good list.
If Ace Combat 7 had 6 or 8 per team combat it would have been a hell of a ride.....i think 4 man teams are alittle small.

SoundCheck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
#1 is completely deserved. Although the story isn't on par with the ps2 games imo (but it's still great), everything else is exactly how I dreamed for a AC game this gen. Underrated game of the year for sure.