• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

unic0rn

Banned
Oct 8, 2020
I haven't found anyone that is affirming that it means anything in the long run (could be someone), most people are just saying that is surprising that the PS5 is outperforming the Series X in the short run, and the future will tell if the Xbox can catch up or not with the PS5.

On the other hand there's some people adamant on the ides that the only meaningful difference in the SKUs is the TF advantage for the Xbox (not true), and that means that when developers have had more time with the Xbox tools it will outperform the PS5, which we don't know for sure.

At the end of the day one of the main reasons this is getting some much traction is that the results were unexpected.

On certain subreddits people are having silly meltdowns, both ways.

And I just remember the - much clearer back in the day - situation with PS2 vs Dreamcast, with developers unable to get a hang on properly utilizing antialiasing on PS2. Dead or Alive 2 on PS2 looked ugly, aliased, had less polygons, didn't change the fact which console ended up on top back then.

The only people fully aware what's causing the current situation are the developers with access to SDKs of both platforms, and even then the fact that Valhalla on Xbox - and PC - was kinda half-assed, gets in the way of this benchmarks having any deeper meaning. It is what it is, single butchered game with abysmal performance problems and audio so bad someone would have to pay me to play it.

I'm not saying Xbox will end up being faster on average. So far the only quarrel I've got with PS5 is about the fact they apparently didn't prevent PSU's coil whine like Microsoft did, that can be fixed even in later production batches, we'll see. Performance-wise, it's a brilliant design by Cerny, no doubt about that. Wether Xbox will surprise us down the line or not, remains to be seen, but it's not just about performance. While I suspect that sampler feedback and the whole Velocity architecture will change things a lot when utilized properly, it'll certainly take some time. But even then there's no doubt some multiplatform titles will prefer more narrow architecture with higher clocks. It all depends on the engine, and even not considering in-house engines of some big studios, how engines like Unity and Unreal will perform on both platforms down the line, will heavily shape this generation performance-wise.

But even that isn't what Microsoft counts on. It's all about Game Pass and how some are out of touch with reality regarding prices. Ryan recently said that when you compare the amount of hours of entertainment a game gives you compared to other things, prices are fair. What he forgot to mention is, you usually don't have time to enjoy it all in one go. Sometimes, for many games, you actually may not even want to. Single player, story-driven experiences, as great as they are (my favourites!), are an exception. Things like racing games, fighting games and everything else, are sometimes better served in smaller portions. Sometimes you'll get a great deal, getting hundreds of hours from a $70 purchase, sometimes not so much. In the end, it's a gamble - you're paying for something you're betting on having time for down the line, not even considering the fact if it turns out good enough for you to deliver that promised entertainment. And then comes another game, another sale (yay! $50 instead of $70! must buy now!) and another thing waiting to deliver in exchange for the money you've spent already. Steam exploits that into oblivion, with people having way more games in their collections than they'll ever play.

When you'll look at it that way, Game Pass makes much more sense. You're getting what you're paying for at the moment, and you're getting way more with much higher degree of freedom regarding the most important choice in this hobby: what you wanna play right now. That's what Microsoft is betting on, it's a long-term plan and it makes sense.

And no amount of benchmarks will change the fact that both platforms will do just fine. Sony has their exclusive IPs that will keep selling, regardless of how long the full transition to PS5 exclusives takes (judging by recent interview with Ryan, they're still not sure - or don't wanna say - if next God of War will end up being crossgen, I would say it probably will and it makes sense, 2021 is too early to just drop PS4 userbase), while Microsoft has Game Pass which matters not only for Series S, but also for Series X and PC.

But hey, reality isn't something that can get in the way of fanboys willing to have their imaginary "console wars", it never was.

unic0rn

Banned
Oct 8, 2020
The problem is that they billed it as a 1440p machine instead of 1080p. The hardware can do 1080p60 no problem, but 1440p is a stretch, the same way native 4K was a stretch for the One X.

If the S was advertised by MS as a 1080p console, I'll bet Ubisoft wouldn't have felt the need to push for 1440p in ACV at the expense of framerate. They could have done 1080p 60 instead, which is a much smarter use of the hardware. Same goes for Yakuza 7 which only has 1440p30 and 900p60 modes. Why not 1080p~60 and 900p60 to mirror the 1440p~60 and 1080p~60 of the XSX version?

I don't understand why MS keeps doing this, it's causing players to be given worse experiences all for the sake of keeping some silly resolution promise. Even years down the line it can have a negative impact. Sekiro locks to 60 on PS5 because PS4 Pro ran the game at checkerboard 1800p instead of native, but MS pushed the "native is better" narrative hard with One X so devs probably felt obligated to push for that even if it wasn't really feasible. Lo and behold Sekiro can't lock to 60 on Series X because the target was too high.

If MS really wants to take backwards compatibility seriously, they should be more cognizant of the fact that the resolutions they advertise may influence what devs shoot for in an effort to live up to the marketing, even if it makes the game run worse. And once these games are released and no longer being worked on, those numbers are essentially locked in forever. Sekiro will never get a patch to switch it to 1800p checkerboard so it can lock to 60 on Series X, that ship has sailed. I know MS is experimenting with resolution increases and framerate doubling for Xbox One games, but let's be honest, that's probably only ever going to make it to a handful of first party titles.

This is kind of separate but it's also disappointing how much of a lasting impact the OG Xbox One's inferiority will have on Xbox BC. The Series X may be more powerful than the PS5, but many BC games look and run better on PS5 because most PS4 games were 1080p and most Xbox One games weren't.

Series X has a smaller performance multiplier vs One X, compared to PS5 vs PS4 Pro. Digital Foundry mentioned it already, it matters, but in the end it's just one of the factors.

Regarding resolution targets, it's all in the hands of the devs. Valhalla could offer reconstructed 1080p60 on Series S as an option, they just didn't bother. Blaming Microsoft for it makes no sense, it's just yet another badly optimized crossgen game. Not the first one in history, not the last one either.

unic0rn

Banned
Oct 8, 2020
Exactly. XSX and PS5 won't be hitting native 4k for any sort of open world sort of 3d game.

Native 4k is an overkill. There's nothing wrong with reconstructed 4k, and Series S shouldn't have problems with reconstructed 1440p. Lets not forget that DLSS equivalent for AMD GPUs will be utilized on those consoles sooner or later, Forza devs were already experimenting with it.

In the end, it makes much more sense to push for graphical fidelity than pixels most people won't even notice, with proper reconstruction techniques/AI-based upscaling, it doesn't make the resolution claims any less valid. People are hellbent on "native" resolutions while in reality you often can't even do a proper pixel count when the game uses different resolution for geometry, different for postprocessing, different for raytracing and other heavy effects, and so on.

It's just meaningless.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Maybe I wasn't clear enough, I was saying that the games which are showing performance problems on XSX are all using the same hardware AND the same tools, so unless devs open up more about why that's happening, I think people claiming it must be hardware or that it must be tools, are merely speculating.
Yes, unfortunately (at this stage at least) we can't really know what's going on there.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Series X has a smaller performance multiplier vs One X, compared to PS5 vs PS4 Pro. Digital Foundry mentioned it already, it matters, but in the end it's just one of the factors.

Regarding resolution targets, it's all in the hands of the devs. Valhalla could offer reconstructed 1080p60 on Series S as an option, they just didn't bother. Blaming Microsoft for it makes no sense, it's just yet another badly optimized crossgen game. Not the first one in history, not the last one either.

I'm not saying it's 100% Microsoft's fault, I'm just saying that them pushing the S as a 1440p console isn't giving the right message to consumers or developers.

Lakewell

Oct 27, 2017
I ran into a similar situation in the video where when I was using the torch and it tanked performance a bit. Made a video of it. Framerate hit and increased tearing.

Last edited:

MavFan619

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'm surprised by the amount of people who repeatedly use the "MS is a software company" argument in relation to its dev tools.

DX/D3D has been notorious across a large chunk of its existence for having issues as a developer-friendly platform. It's certainly a unified approach that allows for easier use of features relative to the alternatives that don't, but there's been several DX/D3D revisions that have been reviled for how much of a pain in the ass they've been to work with/implement. Hell, one of the reasons why "DirectX 12 Ultimate" exists is because OG DX12 was a mess and why for many PC gamers DX11 was the better revision to use over DX12, it was far more stable/optimized compared to DX12, even without the added features that DX 12 brought with it. DX12U is supposed to be the "optimized" version of OG DX12.

Also, like, y'all... how many times has MS not borked Windows 10 with quarterly updates in 2020 alone? MS is a "software company" that has a history of being bad at it.
Every Windows 10 update is an adventure.

MavFan619

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I was just about to say this! Mark Cerny is like gold dust and the best thing to happen to Sony after the PS3.
Just wait for XSX's eventual Digital Foundry win by a frame or two. There will be questioning of why Cerny didn't put more tflops in there, full RDNA 2 and thread titles like "Did Sony focus TOO much on Dualsense and not enough on power?" Which is a long way of saying people are bugging these consoles are really close and its awesome for everyone.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Just wait for XSX's eventual Digital Foundry win by a frame or two. There will be questioning of why Cerny didn't put more tflops in there, full RDNA 2 and thread titles like "Did Sony focus TOO much on Dualsense and not enough on power?" Which is a long way of saying people are bugging these consoles are really close and its awesome for everyone.
Indeed. I love how my XsX is so damn quiet I don't even know if it's on or off *checks...it's off* and performance is great. What do I care if people who got it on another console gain an average of...less screen tearing?

Leonine

Sep 19, 2020
Anyone else find it concerning that people are already relying on VRR to save them from tearing?
There's not a lot of TV's out there that support this featureset and people with TV's already at home not supporting this, if this is going to be the norm I'm dissapointed.

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019
not native 4k at 60fps.

Count me in as thinking native 4k is pointless. As far as I'm concerned, only the UI for games should be native 4k.

I agree. It's impossible to notice the difference at normal viewing distances. Even close up in motion its very, very hard to spot difference between good upscaled 4K and native.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
I ran into a similar situation in the video where when I was using the torch and it tanked performance a bit. Made a video of it. Framerate hit and increased tearing.

This already happened on Origins/Odyssey on the PC version. Honestly I hope they look into it for the next entry (hopefully next gen only)

Have Ubisoft patched the game yet?

Not yet, also mid game there are a lot of issues regarding frame drop. Especially in your settlement

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I really hope tearing doesn't become a common thing on PS5 games. It is my most hated visual problem in a game. I know some Xbox One games had tearing issues but I don't remember it being an issue for PS4 at all.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
Is DF gonna do a comparison for COD, too? Apparently that one is a lot more even than Valhalla from what I've been told

EneaCybrid

Nov 14, 2020
Yes, it is true. I have bought ACV on both systems and the PS5 version has no tearing in the towns. Some tearing during the dialogues.
I have played 20 hours on Serie X and now I will go on on PS5.

striderno9

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
New York, NY
There hasn't been promise of a patch. The issue isn't even listed in their Known Issues thread, which hasn't been updated since the 11th.
All there is is a community rep trying to do damage control and saying it'll be reported to the devs.

A Ubisoft rep came into the thread asked for feedback and then reported it to the dev team and said there would be a patch. No, they didn't write it in blood but the team is aware of it and they're trying to fix it.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
This is the way. Dynamic resolution > VSync, in my opinion.

Until they can figure out something more granular, that would be a pretty good "quickfix"
Imagine the PR loss for Microsoft though. Need to run the game in lower resolution on the "most powerful" console.

The cooling seems insanely functional though, MS should check if the GPU can be overclocked, might fix these issues.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
No, much lighter BUT even the SX is not as bad as the X1S or even X1X.
X1X has it too? I'm playing on PS4 Pro right now, and I haven't noticed a single tear.

Honestly, aside from the framerate, the game looks pretty much the same as it does on next-gen. I'm kind of curious how it stacks up to XSS, since they're running the same framerate and probably similar resolutions.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine the PR loss for Microsoft though. Need to run the game in lower resolution on the "most powerful" console.

The cooling seems insanely functional though, MS should check if the GPU can be overclocked, might fix these issues.

Good performance > bad PR due to resolution, though.

Hopefully they can fix the optimization overall to hit the same targets as PS5, but this would be welcome for people. Tearing is just awful. I can't play when there's tearing, I'm super sensitive to it. Resolution being slightly lower doesn't really bother me, so long as I can get consistent frames.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Good performance > bad PR due to resolution, though.

Hopefully they can fix the optimization overall to hit the same targets as PS5, but this would be welcome for people. Tearing is just awful. I can't play when there's tearing, I'm super sensitive to it. Resolution being slightly lower doesn't really bother me, so long as I can get consistent frames.
Yeah but it'll still suck to know that after that it's a scaled down version. Knowing a TV upgrade (VRR) or maybe a system patch or devtool upgrade by MS will fix it is easier to take imo. I choose the XSX version because I thought it would be the definitive edition outside of PC. I don't think the tearing is awful, just occasionally distracting.

Last edited:

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah but it'll still suck to know that after that it's a scaled down version. Knowing a TV upgrade or maybe a system patch or devtool upgrade by MS will fix it is easier to take imo. I choose the XSX version because I thought it would be the definitive edition outside of PC. I don't think the tearing is awful, just occasionally distracting.

Yeah, "quick fix" vs long term patch. Here's hoping. I've been playing games at 1440p on my 4K TV for a while just to get the extra frames, so I'm not super picky. But ya, no reason this shouldn't be better.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, "quick fix" vs long term patch. Here's hoping. I've been playing games at 1440p on my 4K TV for a while just to get the extra frames, so I'm not super picky. But ya, no reason this shouldn't be better.
I'm not super picky either but I think they need to do this right, this whole multiplat scenario is weird.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
I would have liked some speculation in the video as to why the games were getting the results they were. The DMC5 video had it but this was much more surprising and has no thoughts given to that end? XsX with more CPU, GPU and throughput performing poorer in a game that it has the promotion for seems like something worth discussing?