• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'd wager all that's "amiss" is that the game has trouble hitting the very high performance target of 120fps. But it doesn't with 60fps, so there's no partial frames to tear.

Lol do you know the game? PC version runs on a potato with a GTX 660. I'm not buying that, it's the least demanding nextgen game by an order of magnitude. If it can't run 1080/120, nothing can.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Whilst I don't know what settings the XSX/PS5 versions run, it looks as though the PS5 may be hitting between RTX 2080 Super and RTX 3080 performance.

That's on the basis the PS5 runs at high to ultra settings at a dynamic resolution between 1440p and 2160p (4K), at near enough a locked 60fps in actual gameplay with only occasional dips. Here's a few benchmarks of how different GPU's run the game.

High Settings at 1440p.

Given the RTX 2080 Ti here drops to 53fps, a low the PS5 never hits, the PS5 outperforms an RTX 2080 Ti here, at a higher variable resolution.

13080553501l.jpg

High Settings at 4K.

The PS5 rarely hits native 4K, but it does generally sit somewhere between 1440p and 4K, so this gives an idea of just how well it's performing.

13110530578l.jpg

And for comparisons sake, here's benchmarks at ultra settings.

Ultra Settings at 1440p.

untitled-5.png

Ultra Settings at 4K.

untitled-6.png
I tried to make this point earlier in the thread lol. I think we can assume that thePS5/XSX settings are of the high preset instead of Ultra and maybe even a mixture of some ultra and some medium. But their resolution typically averages out much higher than 1440p.

Pretty damn impressive if you ask me. If you had told anyone 6 months ago that the PS5/XSX would be trading blows with a 2080Ti in any capacity you would have been lynched.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
My TV for this Review was Set to 60 Hz... Changing the refresh rate of a game that tears should change tear location, not the fact that it tears.

Unless I explicitly mention testing 120 fps, I am always recording at 60hz.
There is currently not even a way to record 4K at 120 hz.

Thanks for the quick confirmation !

Locrian

Oct 28, 2020
Did you actually just effectively say "What you care about, you don't care about?"

The average casual person wouldn't care maybe, but me, I certainly do because well, I'm an enthusiast gamer, love tech and am a game developer so I care about this stuff.

It's not 5% smoother. It averages out at about 15% less performant in the areas DF tested and at times it was more, with more tearing.

Is gaslighting allowed here on Era?

/s

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
We are in bizarro world where the software company is behind on their tools and the hardware company still can't make a silent console.

FancyPants

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Is it then some parts in the game, like some mention its later on in the game? Because i dont see that much tearing and i am on a LGC9 and my setting is at 120hz on SX. And you would think i would notice a frikin tear in the screen everytime. Its weird that some people have so much tearing its unplayable and some dont even notice it. I am not oblivious to it because in other games in the past i have noticed it.

Your TV has support for VRR... Tearing isn't an issue for you.

Difio

Mar 19, 2020
We don't have to say anything about load times. Because it's obvious what is happening there. Just to prefix, even the XSX load times are nowhere near as good as they can be.

For the PS5, we have a good number of games that have SHOWN us how good it can and should be. No one n their right mind can talk about loading times when we have seen other multiplats with far better loading times.

I'm not saying loading times are better on XSX, nor that in general Valhalla has great loading times. If you ask me, they are the demonstration of how poorly optimized the game is for the next gen consoles. In my previous reply I tried to point out something different, addressing fanboys.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Most baffling thing is that XSX seems to consistently take a considerable hit when there's a scene heavy in alpha/transparency blending. Unless there's an actual bug somewhere, that shouldn't be an API issue, it's a very, very basic function that's been true to GPUs since forever, there's no optimization to fix this.

XSX should virtually always have an advantage when in shader bound situations, and we kinda see it with DMCV high resolution modes. PS5 will probably have an advantage everywhere else, bandwidth bound situations being a toss up due to very different approaches.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Not really surprised by these results. Also wouldn't be surprised if they were flipped. I expect the PS5 and Series X to be roughly equal and trade narrow performance wins all generation long.

People expecting the Series X to eventually emerge as the dominant performer are setting themselves up for years of disappointment.

Yopis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
East Coast
I tried to make this point earlier in the thread lol. I think we can assume that thePS5/XSX settings are of the high preset instead of Ultra and maybe even a mixture of some ultra and some medium. But their resolution typically averages out much higher than 1440p.

Pretty damn impressive if you ask me. If you had told anyone 6 months ago that the PS5/XSX would be trading blows with a 2080Ti in any capacity you would have been lynched.

Did you see Alex response to this post?

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I'm not saying loading times are better on XSX, nor that in general Valhalla has great loading times. If you ask me, they are the demonstration of how poorly optimized the game is for the next gen consoles. In my previous reply I tried to point out something different, addressing fanboys.
I didn't think you were saying load times are better on XSX. If anything I agree with you. The game is not well-optimized. For either platform... actually for ANY platform. So I was saying that even the XSX can load games faster than what or how we see it do here.

But I feel this is and has always been a Ubisoft thing. They make good games, but generally seem to have piss poor optimization. This is also why I don't really buy into the whole "tools" argument. The game is not running optimally on either platform, its just worse on the XSX and yes, that could be a tools thing, or it could be something else. My argument with the tools stuff has always been, if tools mature on one platform, at that same time they would also be maturing on the other or devs would be finding better ways to do more with the other..etc.

one

Nov 30, 2017
User banned (1 day): Platform wars
This whole story around Road to Next-gen Launch feels like watching this one

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Given the PC benchmarks its not unreasonable that the consoles are performing around 2080ti level in this title. Performance barely scales lowering settings unless you go to low or medium. I doubt many of the visually noticeable settings are medium/low on next gen consoles.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Yup... and my point still stands.

At their peaks 1728p, thats a resolution of 3072 x 1728. 5.3M pixels. And maintaining 60fp means that you are internally running at an even higher fps than that and only need to drop the rez when you can't maintain that 60fps target.

1440p is pushing a total of 3.6M pixels.

The 2080ti, running at 1440p with high preset (which I think is a safe place to settle on what kinda preset we are getting with the next-gen consoles) is peaking at 77fps, averaging 68fps with drops to 53fps.

The PS5 on the other hand only drops to 1440p just to maintain the 60fps target. All those times you see it running at 60fps, it could be internally running at 65- 75fps for all we know because there is always a buffer to maintain any given framerate.

I think it's safe to say that its trading blows with a 2080Ti. And that's impressive no matter how anyone looks at it.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Given the PC benchmarks its not unreasonable that the consoles are performing around 2080ti level in this title. Performance barely scales lowering settings unless you go to low or medium. I doubt many of the visually noticeable settings are medium/low on next gen consoles.
Do you own a PS5? If so you should do the settings comparison as IMO, it is better not to ever assume in this area at all. I would prefer if people did settings comparisons instead of assuming.

unic0rn

Banned
Oct 8, 2020
Waiting might help us get closer to 'best machine' but for those of us just buying games then the here and now is the important part. If someone is looking to get a next gen console and is hearing talk about XSX being worse than PS5 then that would push them towards Sony. That's not good for MS. Shit can stick.

I'm just laughing at the "perhaps PS5 Digital is worth the $100 extra" ideas regarding Series S, some people apparently ignore Game Pass when it's convenient for their narrative. Microsoft has the value nailed down, what they need to do imho is be a bit more strict regarding quality and simply refuse to release games in such technical state.

I wouldn't say it's silly, it couldn't be any other way really ...people were waiting for the first DF face to face for months (and even years!) after what happened last time around, and the plot twist makes it even more interesting in a storyteling sense. It's not surprise this is exploding.

We can wait for exclusives as you say, but exclusives don't really get the same attention or tell the same story as face-offs, and I'm not sure MS can get an advantage there anyway, seeing the things Sony first party has been able to do these last years.

I understand why it's exploding, what I find silly is that people are acting like it means anything in the long run. I've mentioned exclusives because those are likely first to utilize new hardware properly, crossplatform titles will have to wait until they're not crossgen, with the exception of separate, nextgen-optimized versions, which take time (Cyberpunk 2077 for example will get one somewhere in 2021) - and even then it's never certain which features exactly will get utilized and which will be ignored.

I mean, just look at loading times - between Velocity architecture, sampler feedback, and all the tech in PS5, loading times should be almost nonexistent. It's painfully obvious Valhalla uses none of this new tech, just acting like it's on older gen storage, just faster. Some are talking that Microsoft's SDK hides the details from the devs to make it easy to develop for both Xbox and PC at the same time - perhaps, I'm not certain regarding Velocity vs DirectStorage, but the thing is, on PC devs can't assume such features are available. Perhaps it'll get easier for them as the time passes by, when nextgen open world game may simply require some sort of feature parity with Series X|S and PS5 on PC to run at all, right now it's too early and that only complicates things for the devs.

Consoles got plenty of new features, PCs are playing catch-up, Xbox got new SDK, multiplatform games are expected to run across wide variety of hardware, including PCs that would never run a game utilizing new consoles to their full potential, and people are expecting a smooth transition? Personally I think it's better for Microsoft that their heavy hitters will get released later on, let them focus on backward compatibility for now, and on improving their tools first and foremost. People seem to forget how back in the day devs needed time to learn how to use new console hardware properly, since it was a while when consoles got something truly new by PC standards. At this point credit definitely goes to Cerny, he did a great job and clearly saw it all coming. It won't matter in a couple of months though, when devs update their engines.

Also, the initial hype is either getting the console(s) ASAP, or getting them before Christmas. With even the latter sometimes becoming unlikely, some people gave up already and decided to wait a few months - especially considering there aren't that many games taking advantage of the new hardware yet. At that point nextgen patches for existing titles as well as any new games that will get released on nextgen consoles, will become current benchmarks.

This situation will be unclear for quite a while. Benchmarking-wise, we'll know more probably in a couple of months to a year, but we're unlikely to know what all those consoles can truly deliver until some point in 2022. As it is, PS5 definitely has the momentum, and considering Playstation's market share, it matters. Lets not forget Microsoft is still playing the long term game though, and Sony isn't really their competition. Different caliber entirely.

May 21, 2018
I will admit that I did not watch the full video before my first comments in this thread. I just took the time to watch the full video.

And I want to say that Ubisoft has been doing some weird things on the series X version. If it was purely down to hardware difference then I think the Series X would've performed worse more uniformly and consistently across the board. At the point where they have the character at the hut entrance, it is really weird that the Series S is performing more consistently than the Series X. It's true that the Series S is running at 30 fps, but the way it handles frame tearing and the Series X doesn't is odd.

Even more odd is the one segment the team highlights regarding the cinematic camera on the Series X suffering a weird judder during one entire scene, whereas the PS5's camera has smooth movement. And yet both versions are running at locked 60 fps with everything else equal in that scene.

After watching the video I've become convinced that whether or not Microsoft's dev tools factor in significantly into the situation, the bottom line is that Ubisoft is dropping the ball on optimization for the Series X. The very specific nature of the slowdowns, plus the weird oddities like the cinematic camera jitter seem to lend support to this being due mainly to poor work from the devs.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
Do we know that no actual loading is going on during the display of those splash screens? Seems like wasted time that they could be background loading stuff if not?
Seriously doubt the extra splash screens are to give more loading time. The actual time to load from menu to game is extremely fast on both with a couple second difference between the 2. Such a large discrepancy doesn't make sense from launch to menu.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I think it isn't at all safe to say and you should wait for an apples-to-apples comparison before drawing any conclusions.
I disagree.

Like I don't get why anyone would be touchy about this.

The 2080ti is running at high settings and peaks at 70+fps with lows of 50+ fps in 1440p. Even if e want to assume that the PS5 is using medium to low PC settings, (which is an extreme assumption but fine) it's still running overall within spitting distance of a 2080ti. How can this even be up for debate?

And the PS5 costs $399!!! How is this not impressive? But cool, less wait for apples to apples comparisons.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I disagree.

The 2080ti is running at high settings and peaks at 70+fps with lows of 50+ fps in 1440p. Even if e want to assume that the PS5 is using medium to low PC settings, (which is an extreme assumption but fine) it's still running overall within spitting distance of a 2080ti. How can this even be up for debate?

And the PS5 costs $399!!! How is this not impressive? But cool, less wait for apples to apples comparisons.

It's more like Ubisoft games, AC especially, aren't good indicators for PC performance because they pretty much all have sub par performance on average.

unic0rn

Banned
Oct 8, 2020
I will admit that I did not watch the full video before my first comments in this thread. I just took the time to watch the full video.

And I want to say that Ubisoft has been doing some weird things on the series X version. If it was purely down to hardware difference then I think the Series X would've performed worse more uniformly and consistently across the board. At the point where they have the character at the hut entrance, it is really weird that the Series S is performing more consistently than the Series X. It's true that the Series S is running at 30 fps, but the way it handles frame tearing and the Series X doesn't is odd.

Even more odd is the one segment the team highlights regarding the cinematic camera on the Series X suffering a weird judder during one entire scene, whereas the PS5's camera has smooth movement. And yet both versions are running at locked 60 fps with everything else equal in that scene.

After watching the video I've become convinced that whether or not Microsoft's dev tools factor in significantly into the situation, the bottom line is that Ubisoft is dropping the ball on optimization for the Series X. The very specific nature of the slowdowns, plus the weird oddities like the cinematic camera jitter seem to lend support to this being due mainly to poor work from the devs.

The camera stutter says it all really. It's clear as a day that that engine is bugged and that the Playstation branch of that engine is in way better technical state.

Unfortunately, considering Playstation's market share, as well as the current pandemic, it isn't really surprising. Wrong, yes, but not surprising.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I disagree.

I already explained that you are drawing a conclusion based on nothing else but assumptions. For a proper comparison you need to run the same sequence on similar settings and observe the result. That is how benchmarking is done since, well, ever. On console settings are not set based on low, medium, high presets, they vary based on the machine's various bottlenecks. In DF's Watch Dogs Legion video the game on console used settings than varied from high to lower than the lowest setting on PC.

Now, given RDNA2's performance in rasterization, it wouldn't be a surprise for PS5 to perform in that ballpark. The big deal about the 2080 Ti was ray tracing and tensor cores, neither of which are being used in Valhalla. In terms of pure rasterization the 2080 Ti performs not much better than the 1080 Ti which came out more than three years ago.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Most baffling thing is that XSX seems to consistently take a considerable hit when there's a scene heavy in alpha/transparency blending. Unless there's an actual bug somewhere, that shouldn't be an API issue, it's a very, very basic function that's been true to GPUs since forever, there's no optimization to fix this.

XSX should virtually always have an advantage when in shader bound situations, and we kinda see it with DMCV high resolution modes. PS5 will probably have an advantage everywhere else, bandwidth bound situations being a toss up due to very different approaches.
This is also the case in Halo MCC running on XSX at (up to) 120fps.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
Do you own a PS5? If so you should do the settings comparison as IMO, it is better not to ever assume in this area at all. I would prefer if people did settings comparisons instead of assuming.
What do you make of these results, Alex? I'm assuming, since no one really expected this at all, you guys must've been just as surprised as us?

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
Is there any good reason why they don't lock the framerate at 60 and make the resolution completely variable? Wouldn't that get rid of tearing entirely.

Noobie

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Although I m no technical person, I think this trend is going to continue in the future also. Because if XBOX tools are going to get better with time, I believe then Sony is also going to improve its tool and support, and it's not going to sit idle.

To me, it looks like Sony has designed a better overall system and MS may have more raw power but may be facing a bottleneck at some other point which is not allowing it to achieve full performance in most of the real-world cases.
Just my 2 cents

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Although I m no technical person, I think this trend is going to continue in the future also. Because if XBOX tools are going to get better with time, I believe then Sony is also going to improve its tool and support, and it's not going to sit idle.

To me, it looks like Sony has designed a better overall system and MS may have more raw power but may be facing a bottleneck at some other point which is not allowing it to achieve full performance in most of the real-world cases.
Just my 2 cents

What do you think that bottleneck is?