• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Eroke

Oct 27, 2017

XSVVOuK.jpg

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Question about VRR.

If Sony updates the PS5 to support VRR system wide, does that mean it will work retroactively with games released prior to VRR implementation?

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
It's bizarre that Microsoft's developer tools has become the accepted explanation for the delta seen in this game and some others, with no evidence other than it simply must be that.
Yet that is predicated on the assumption that both systems are identical except for clock-speeds and CU counts, but that is simply not true.

PS5's Coherency Engines and the GPU Cache Scrubbers are a hardware difference that costs SoC die space that impacts on CPU and GPU performance to the extent it was deemed worth that die space. Cache management also directly impacts the system memory bandwidth requirements if there are less cache misses that requires refetching.

The "tools" assumption/explanation also ignores low-level graphics API differences, with DirectX being generic for Xbox One through to Xbox Series and PC—sensible for Microsoft's vision of Xbox, and on the other side Sony's current GNM being entirely specific to PS5 and its single configuration and CU count etc.

It also ignores developer comments that said the Xbox SDK is better than it has ever been at launch.

It also assumes there isn't further development to come from Sony's SDK, and significant gains to be found from the rumoured Geometry Engine customisations. A Sony that has their studios research and share technical innovation that feeds back into game and SDK design.

The quoted teraflop figures are a theoretical potential that neither console will hit outside of running some static simple single purpose function that doesn't do much useful work.

How close dynamic game code gets to those figures depends on not just the APIs, but hardware differences, of which there is more than just CU count and clock speed.

On the CPU side an entirely hardware IO block with sub-CPU more than makes up for a 300Mhz difference.

Ignore the differences at your peril. A side by side paper comparison of the PC like numbers is misleading.

And remember: Amount of calculation done comes from watts consumed, not from clock-speed.
Targeting fixed power (near TDP) with varying clocks beats targeting fixed clocks with varying power that rarely gets near TDP due to safety margins.
I am not advocating any secret sauce nonsense lol... but I don't think what you are saying is accurate.

This is gonna get a little technical. Color coded. Green, better on XSX, Blue, better on PS5. Orange, it a toss-up/we don't have enough information to know its impact.
  • CPU
    3.5Ghz vs 3.6Ghz ( +2.3% for XSX)
  • RAM
    448GB vs 336GB + 560GB (+22% PS5 on 3.5GB and +22% XSX on 10GB)
  • SHADER COMPUTE
    10.2TF vs 12.2TF ( +16.7% XSX)
  • GPU CLOCK (this is important because it's tied to the speed of all GPU caches and other components in the gpu)
    2.23Ghz vs 1.8Ghz ( + 21% PS5)
  • GPU TRIANGLE RASTER (billions/s)
    8.92 vs 7.3 ( +20% PS5)
  • GPU CULLING RATE (billions/s)
    17.84 vs 14.6 ( +20% PS5)
  • GPU PIXEL FILL RATE ( Gpixels/s)
    142 vs 116 ( +20% PS5)
  • GPU TEXTURE FIL RATE (Gtexels/s)
    321 vs 379 ( +16% XSX)
  • SSD RAW
    5.5GB vs 2.4GB ( + 78% PS5)
As you can see, there are areas that the PS5 has an advantage, its just that these areas are usually dismissed because none of the companies really talks about them since it's easier to market "TF"s. But TFs are just one part of a render pipeline as you can see above. And everything you can do faster along that pipeline, means you finish that specific task faster.

There is also the fact that having a higher clocked GPU means that the PS5s GPU caches are faster. That potentially increases effective memory bandwidth.

And I have only listed all the on-paper stuff, and not any of the custom stuff like the IO complexion the PS5 or tempest engine. All things that handle tasks that otherwise are done by the CPU freeing up CPU cycles on the PS5. Most people dismiss stuff like this because they don't understand them. Bt these things all play a role in what ends up on our screens.
These are good. It's like people just hit a wall if they don't completely get something. Who knows where we will be in a year or two. But there's much more here than TFs and SDKs.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
The PS5 advantage is the Dual Sense, after playing Astro, I am having a hard time with other games.

Sure, and I agree.

Which is why I was so disappointed that AC Valhalla basically doesn't use the Dual Sense haptic rumble at all from the 3-4 hours I played. Every other launch game I tried used the Dual Sense, even Bugsnax! But Ubisoft doesn't seem to care about supporting it with AC and I'd assume Watchdogs.

Oct 28, 2017
So after watching the whole DF video including the bit about Series X VRR running smoothly, Im inclined to think that Ubi relied on that to provide a better performance, and spent more time on the PS5 to optimise (without VRR).

Valhalla for Series X might simply need an optimisation patch for people without a VRR enabled TV.

Dusktildawn48

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
St. Louis
So after watching the whole DF video including the bit about Series X VRR running smoothly, Im inclined to think that Ubi relied on that to provide a better performance, and spent more time on the PS5 to optimise (without VRR).

Valhalla for Series X might simply need an optimisation patch for people without a VRR enabled TV.
That would be worse than Sony's excuse to not include 1440p system resolution.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
any of the custom stuff like the IO complexion the PS5 or tempest engine. All things that handle tasks that otherwise are done by the CPU freeing up CPU cycles on the PS5.
I agree with your general point and I appreciate you looking up the specs for exact numbers to illustrate it, but we've already had confirmation from devs that the XSX is more powerful and I've already stated several times that a higher clock speed has its own advantages - so I was writing with both of these things in mind. I'm not sure they would account for the differences we're seeing here in Valhalla because it seems to confound a lot of people who are familiar with these specs. We've also had confirmation that the GDKs are behind the curve. Occam's razor suggests it's probably just that and needs more optimization.

As for the quoted, I'm not sure if these three clauses related, but XSX also has I/O hardware to offload some of the CPU tasks and it has a more powerful audio processor than the PS5's. I don't know though if the processor in the PS5 is called the Tempest engine, or if that's just the name of their software using said processor - or both! - but both consoles are using additional hardware in the sound department.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As for the quoted, I'm not sure if these three clauses related, but XSX also has I/O hardware to offload some of the CPU tasks and it has a more powerful audio processor than the PS5's. I don't know though if the processor in the PS5 is called the Tempest engine, or if that's just the name of their software using said processor - or both! - but both consoles are using additional hardware in the sound department.
XSX has IO hardware to offload CPU tasks, but Sony's implementation of it is much more advanced.

And no, we don't know if it has a more powerful audio processor than PS5. I doubt it, or else they would have shouted that out off the rooftops from day one.

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Question about VRR.

If Sony updates the PS5 to support VRR system wide, does that mean it will work retroactively with games released prior to VRR implementation?

Yes it will.

Sure, and I agree.

Which is why I was so disappointed that AC Valhalla basically doesn't use the Dual Sense haptic rumble at all from the 3-4 hours I played. Every other launch game I tried used the Dual Sense, even Bugsnax! But Ubisoft doesn't seem to care about supporting it with AC and I'd assume Watchdogs.

Maybe it has to do with AC Valhalla having marketing rights with Xbox? They couldn't put extra features on the PS5 version if meant it could become a selling feature over the Xbox version of the game. Maybe once they get their initial sales, they will send a patch out to add it in down the road?

dlauv

Oct 27, 2017
XSX has IO hardware to offload CPU tasks, but Sony's implementation of it is much more advanced.

And no, we don't know if it has a more powerful audio processor than PS5. I doubt it, or else they would have shouted that out off the rooftops from day one.
I don't know if advanced is right the word here, but Sony's solution is certainly more thorough, yes.

As far as audio: yes, we do know. It was shown off in the hotchips presentation. MS' own spatial audio solution isn't great though, and Sony's Tempest engine is a venture on that front to compete with Atmos and DTS, which work on a variety of hardware - but that's besides the point of both systems having audio hardware to keep the CPU free.

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
What's silly is pretending consumers like you would notice or care about any of this shit. Stop extrapolating DF and the likes 300k views on the entire market. Side by side comparisons are forum wars material.

The kind of people who would admit to feeling mad or silly about another systems version of a launch title running 5% smoother are the kind of idiots that have probably been banned by now for fanboy shit.

Get some perspective, jesus christ
Did you actually just effectively say "What you care about, you don't care about?"

The average casual person wouldn't care maybe, but me, I certainly do because well, I'm an enthusiast gamer, love tech and am a game developer so I care about this stuff.

It's not 5% smoother. It averages out at about 15% less performant in the areas DF tested and at times it was more, with more tearing.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if advanced is right the word here, but Sony's solution is certainly more thorough, yes.

As far as audio: yes, we do know. It was shown off in the hotchips presentation. MS' own spatial audio solution isn't great though, and Sony's Tempest engine is a directive on that front to compete with Atmos and DTS, which work on a variety of processors.
I saw the hotchips presentation, it doesn't say anything that can be use as a direct equivalent to Sony's. Even less that we know very little about Tempest, and only at a surface level.

If anything, I won't even compare both, and can't wait until GDC next year to learn more about how both systems work.

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
I am not advocating any secret sauce nonsense lol... but I don't think what you are saying is accurate.

This is gonna get a little technical. Color coded. Green, better on XSX, Blue, better on PS5. Orange, it a toss-up/we don't have enough information to know its impact.
  • CPU
    3.5Ghz vs 3.6Ghz ( +2.3% for XSX)
  • RAM
    448GB vs 336GB + 560GB (+22% PS5 on 3.5GB and +22% XSX on 10GB)
  • SHADER COMPUTE
    10.2TF vs 12.2TF ( +16.7% XSX)
  • GPU CLOCK (this is important because it's tied to the speed of all GPU caches and other components in the gpu)
    2.23Ghz vs 1.8Ghz ( + 21% PS5)
  • GPU TRIANGLE RASTER (billions/s)
    8.92 vs 7.3 ( +20% PS5)
  • GPU CULLING RATE (billions/s)
    17.84 vs 14.6 ( +20% PS5)
  • GPU PIXEL FILL RATE ( Gpixels/s)
    142 vs 116 ( +20% PS5)
  • GPU TEXTURE FIL RATE (Gtexels/s)
    321 vs 379 ( +16% XSX)
  • SSD RAW
    5.5GB vs 2.4GB ( + 78% PS5)
As you can see, there are areas that the PS5 has an advantage, its just that these areas are usually dismissed because none of the companies really talks about them since it's easier to market "TF"s. But TFs are just one part of a render pipeline as you can see above. And everything you can do faster along that pipeline, means you finish that specific task faster.

There is also the fact that having a higher clocked GPU means that the PS5s GPU caches are faster. That potentially increases effective memory bandwidth.

And I have only listed all the on-paper stuff, and not any of the custom stuff like the IO complexion the PS5 or tempest engine. All things that handle tasks that otherwise are done by the CPU freeing up CPU cycles on the PS5. Most people dismiss stuff like this because they don't understand them. Bt these things all play a role in what ends up on our screens.
Honest question. Can you tell me why the PS5 is faster in the blue RATE sections if the overall GPU TF (Whish is related to clock speeds and CUs) is higher on the XSX.

dlauv

Oct 27, 2017
I saw the hotchips presentation, it doesn't say anything that can be use as a direct equivalent to Sony's. Even less that we know very little about Tempest, and only at a surface level.
I meant the audio hardware. It's 100gflops vs 147gflops. It honestly has little to do with how ambitious Tempest is (it's very ambitious and could be a tremendous gamechanger for Sony down the road) and how MS' own solution is contented to take a backseat to Atmos or DTS; it's just important in that it frees up both consoles' CPUs.

CTRON

Jul 16, 2020
GTX 1080 and I'm running the game at high, so very likely higher settings than the next gen consoles, and at 1440p ultra wide at mostly 60 FPS.

A little off-topic, but none of the PC benchmarks I've seen have the game running at mostly 60fps on a GTX 1080 at 1440p/high (e.g. here). You likely haven't yet come across areas in the game that stress the gpu. Moreover, it's not yet known what PC equivalent settings the PS5/Series X are running at; most likely not directly comparable to a specific PC preset, as is often the case.

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
Is there a reason Ubisoft couldn't just use triple buffered vsync on Xbox? I doubt the increase in input lag would bother many people.

Dusktildawn48

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
St. Louis
All the tearing talk got me wondering if my tv was ever updated with vrr, and apparently it just was a few days ago! I have the tcl 65r625 btw.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wonder if there is an issue on the way the console outputs when set to 120hz? Wonder if it's a hardware issue or something that could be fixed with patches

There are several people in this thread who have their TVs set to 60hz mode and are still seeing lots of tearing. My guess is his TV/monitor supports VRR up to 60hz and not 120hz, hence he's having a different experience at 60hz compared to everyone else and to the what the comparisons show.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I meant the audio hardware. It's 100gflops vs 147gflops. It honestly has little to do with how ambitious Tempest is (it's very ambitious and could be a tremendous gamechanger for Sony down the road) and how MS' own solution is contented to take a backseat to Atmos or DTS; it's just important in that it frees up both consoles' CPUs.
That was my point. You're talking about this right?

GkrDv6ja9TiDYz3incXznN-1920-80.jpg

again it's hard to compare, because we are looking at it without understanding how both work, and how both are utilised. Especially considering these could be two different types of architectures. Comparing flops is pointless.

Last edited:

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Playing on a series X at 60hz on a 2017 B7 OLED. Tearing is atrocious. Some of the worst I've seen. It's right there with far cry 3 on the 360 and the surge 2 upon release. In towns it's constant while panning and it's just not one part of the screen. It's everywhere.
This is my experience, playing on a Samsung KS8000. It's everywhere - towns, out in the wilderness, during dialogue, in cutscenes...

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
well well... guess I'll wait for more patches to stabilize/remove the tearing. I'll just continue to play AC Origins in the meantime, lol

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Meh, not seeing it.

You know what IS impressive? My almost half decade old gaming PC giving me better gaming experience than these brand new gen of consoles on this game. GTX 1080 and I'm running the game at high, so very likely higher settings than the next gen consoles, and at 1440p ultra wide at mostly 60 FPS.

Or in other words, value isn't just about lower price.
I love these magical unicorn GPU performance posts.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, this might be the case... because there's virtually no tearing on Series X if you have a VRR set (I'd say that makes it the version to get if you have a capable TV, given that this feature doesn't exist on PS5 yet). It's a shame that everyone with a 4k set can't experience that.

One thing that I will note about DF is that as good as their work is, they have a tendency to miss/overlook performance issues in certain games, I've noticed. For example, Demons Souls on PS5 does not hold 60 all the time and has some frame tearing, but the recent video suggested that this only happens around load screens... Just not true (If you want to see an example of it in action go to 4-2 and run past the pickaxe guys to get to the drop-down shortcut to Flamelurker... as you run through the tunnel with 8 or so pickaxe guys it will shed frames every single time... and I've run into other problem areas). They mentioned in this video that there are reasons that the PS5 capture that they use makes it harder to detect drops for some reason, so I assume that this isn't deliberate bias, but sometimes they are fallible as well.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
So I was planning on picking this game up on xbox sometime ready for me getting a series x next year with all access before picking up a ps5 later, right now I'm gonna hold off because if there is one thing I can't take it's screen tearing, the ps3 was a nightmare for me for a lot of games I wanted to play because they constantly used adaptive vsync and shit that caused insane levels of tearing, borderlands 2 especially was just the worst situation of that for me, playing that game for even 10 minutes would give me awful headache for hours after because of the tearing. Not saying it's that bad on this game on series x but right now after seeing the video and people's reactions who have it I'm gonna wait and see if this is fixed in a patch but honestly hope that the push for 60fps and higher this generation doesn't turn from a dream come true to finally have on consoles into a nightmare of bad adaptive vsync and tearing hell again down the road when games push more and more on the tech because that's gonna kill any excitement I currently have for next gen.

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah man, runs/looks great (STILL) on a PS5 :)

Seriously, Origins is such an achievement if only for it's fidelity in representing the area/culture.
I'm enjoying it so far too (Although wish it was 60fps :)) which is nice because I skipped all AC titles because I really didn't like bit I played of the first one.

Tragicomedy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I played about four hours today and only see light tearing during cutscenes. Haven't experienced anything yet in the open world and I'm especially sensitive to framerate issues. Older Sony x900e in game mode running in 4K, HDR. My TV doesn't have 120hz and no VRR.

Game is very nice looking in general. It's too bad the issues are causing people to either ditch the game or wait for a patch. I'm loving it so far.

DC5remy

Jan 20, 2018
Denver co
I played about four hours today and only see light tearing during cutscenes. Haven't experienced anything yet in the open world and I'm especially sensitive to framerate issues. Older Sony x900e in game mode running in 4K, HDR. My TV doesn't have 120hz and no VRR.

Game is very nice looking in general. It's too bad the issues are causing people to either ditch the game or wait for a patch. I'm loving it so far.

Old x900e made me laugh. I just sold mine and my wife was like "we just got that tv"