• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PlayerOne

Apr 16, 2018
They have direct shoots on the site

Series X

PS5

It looks the same to me.
The edge of the axe against the white background looks better on the series console, looks konda weird on ps5 actually, like some sort of checkerboarding.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
I have both consoles and opted for Valhalla on Series X.

I got a TV with VRR, and honestly I haven't noticed tearing (saw it literally once during a load screen), though there are bugs like in any Ubisoft game. VRR truly seems like a lifesaver for ports like this.

PS5 really needs to implement it because it's inevitable that the system will eventually get a sloppy port. Have they mentioned when it might come to the console?

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND

Just to clarify the 15% performance advantage I mention on PS5 I mention in the Video, which I really should have worded differently.
in the moment, there is indeed a greater than 15% performance advantage for PS5, but across the entire performance comp Clip the Computed average was 15%. That includes moments of course where the consoles perform more similar to eachother and Vsync makes them more equalised.
PS5 in the worst moments Is perform Ing BETTER than 15% as the video shows. So Bad wording on my Part.

Oct 25, 2017
PS5 dev tools have been universally praised for how polished, full-featured, and straight-forward they are since early 2020. While at the same time it's not exactly a secret that Series X dev tools came in hot and are still undercooked.

We'll see how the plays out in the long term but it absolutely could be "how these things work".

These tools mature over a generation, they will get better for PS5 too, not as big of a jump than Microsoft's, but there will be one.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm guessing whatever's going on will be addressed. If it can't be, well, there's reasons I own both PS5 and XSX and one of those is flexibility. :)

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
The edge of the axe against the white background looks better on the series console, looks konda weird on ps5 actually, like some sort of checkerboarding.
Yep even visible on a smartphone.
I guess the next real flashpoint will be the Cyberpunk nextgen patch, especially given that it's gotten an Xbox marketing deal.
Marketing agreements have nothing to do with that. As someone pointed out, CoD Battle Royale runs better on Xbox and Sony has the marketing.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Is Fafalada a dev? He mentioned in the COD thread that this is the most prepared that Microsoft has been for a new generation as far as the tool set and that devs had them for atleast a year already. I don't think anything will change this whole generation these consoles are just close and both offer hardware advantages over the other. Devs for months told us TF is only one metric of the gpu and we can't just look at that number to determine which would perform better but alas people got swept up in the marketing instead of waiting for the games. We also had some bad faith actors spreading mistruths so it's good they're getting exposed because this industry needs to get rid of the toxicity and those people need to be ignored they only sow discord, both ownsers of the PS5 and Series X will be happy all generation these machines are extremely powerful.
It's common sense that the XSX tools have been behind PS5. Back in June we saw an entire showcase where all games were running on PS5 hardware. And they all looked very polished to boot.

Then in the Xbox showcase in July, everything, literally everything, was running on a PC at similar specs to XSX. Still no sign of games running on XSX. Indeed, we didn't get our first glimpse of a game running on XSX hardware until as late as last month, with Dirt 5. And it looked rough, with... tearing.

So yeah, they're obviously behind, and that's without factoring in what the likes of DF and JS have mentioned.

Only time will tell if XSX performance will improve and close the gap, or even switch things around. But obviously something strange is going on - XSX has the more powerful GPU, faster bandwidth for VRAM, CPU in line with PS5, we know all this. So something is wrong. And I'm predicting a bit of a rollercoaster. But right now, PS5 is probably the safer bet for buying multi-plats, unless you have a VRR TV.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These tools mature over a generation, they will get better for PS5 too, not as big of a jump than Microsoft's, but there will be one.
Of course. The question is how much the Series X dev tools will improve compared to PS5. The Series X has a significantly more powerful GPU & a slightly more powerful CPU so something isn't adding up here.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
Honestly I expect the majority of games to start performing better on Series X soon, but I have to admit I did say in the past that 99% of multiplatforms would most likely be better on Xbox and now I'm thinking maybe it's gonna be a 70% vs 30% affair.

Still, the Series X is more powerful as mentioned by people who actually understand what they're talking about... (DF, Matt etc... not Tom Warren or Alberto lol) so I think expecting anything other than better performance on the X in the future is unlikely. The gaps will be small, though, that's for sure.

Oct 25, 2017
So instead of people finally accepting that they will both probably be more or less the same long term, as we've been told countless time by actual devs, people are now going "just wait, it'll happen soon!" XSX will probably close the gap, but, expecting some huge swing the other way is probably going to leave you disappointed again.

The mid gens are probably your best bet now, so I'd get saving up I guess.

No one has even provided a compelling reason why they think it will swing the other way, just a bunch of nonsense really. People fighting over their favorite box, Xbox is taking a little on the chin so they have to come defend it with some hypothetical future where it dominates. In reality, these systems are the closest they've ever been and everyone should be happy.

The one unacceptable part I see in all of this is the tearing, that is just atrocious.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just starting this video but when they are riding the horse in the canyon on the PS5 version, I see some pop in pretty close up. I haven't seen that at all on Series X so far. I wonder if it was something about that area?

Chille

Jan 7, 2018
It's common sense that the XSX tools have been behind PS5. Back in June we saw an entire showcase where all games were running on PS5 hardware. And they all looked very polished to boot.

Then in the Xbox showcase in July, everything, literally everything, was running on a PC at similar specs to XSX. Still no sign of games running on XSX. Indeed, we didn't get our first glimpse of a game running on XSX hardware until as late as last month, with Dirt 5. And it looked rough, with... tearing.

So yeah, they're obviously behind, and that's without factoring in what the likes of DF and JS have mentioned.

Only time will tell if XSX performance will improve and close the gap, or even switch things around. But obviously something strange is going on - XSX has the more powerful GPU, faster bandwidth for VRAM, CPU in line with PS5, we know all this. So something is wrong. And I'm predicting a bit of a rollercoaster. But right now, PS5 is probably the safer bet for buying multi-plats, unless you have a VRR TV.
It does have less of that faster ram though, I wonder if Sony unified Ram solution helps it out might be slower but it's all the same speed Vs 10/6gb split

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC

Yes they look a lot alike here.

I hadn't seen these.

Funny thing is, there's a number of differences in just those two shots, LOL.

For example, is the smoother edge on the Series X on the Axe/Scene here DRS or AA/DOF (or the lack of it) ??

ac01dmkrz.png

ac02hoj8q.png

Then, there's actually a texture loading difference the opposite direction on the face.

ac03i2jqs.png

I'm spotting all kinds of things they don't mention, LOL.

(but they all probably fall under the umbrella of "bug" I guess)

Oct 25, 2017
Of course. The question is how much the Series X dev tools will improve compared to PS5. The Series X has a significantly more powerful GPU & a slightly more powerful CPU so something isn't adding up here.

I agree, I just don't think with the maturing of the tools it's going to get significantly better than 3rd parties on PS5, they will likely be much closer than they are now and that's about it, probably favoring the Xbox in a few frames here and there. I don't expect it to gain and exceed the PS5 by much.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
The gaps will be small, though, that's for sure.

I doubt anyone will be able spot the differences in a side-by-side comparison, no matter the game. Seriously, if that's possible then not because a dev went the extra mile on one console, but called it a day on the other.

The tearing is a real showstopper for me, though. Those are the kind of differences easy to spot. Ubisoft should fix this asap.

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Pretty unprecedented to see the opposite so time may say something but the difference in this teraflop metric isn't significant enough for a night and day comparison.

It's pretty surprising and at least you know you're getting a solid port regardless of platform.

pratyush1991

Jan 9, 2020
I would normally don't get into this kind of comparison but the way this false advertising was done by Microsoft shills ( some well known reporters and Microsoft itself wasn't saint themselves), seeing actual performance close ( XSX will catch on) which was predicted by everyone who knew what they were talking about, makes me bit happy.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just starting this video but when they are riding the horse in the canyon on the PS5 version, I see some pop in pretty close up. I haven't seen that at all on Series X so far. I wonder if it was something about that area?

Yeah, I noted that too... I chalked it up to the fact that these are huge open world games with tons of random factors at play (NPCs, wildlife, time of day, etc...).

I appreciate DF's work here and the attempts to normalize comparisons (e.g. using scripted scenes), but in actual terms it's very, very hard to get 1:1 comparisons.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree, I just don't think with the maturing of the tools it's going to get significantly better than 3rd parties on PS5, they will likely be much closer than they are now and that's about it, probably favoring the Xbox in a few frames here and there. I don't expect it to gain and exceed the PS5 by much.
If that ends up being the case, then the question remains of where is this extra power on XSX going to?

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
People fighting over their favorite box, Xbox is taking a little on the chin so they have to come defend it with some hypothetical future where it dominates.
Nobody in this thread thinks the Xbox will dominate. Both consoles are very close and they'll stay close. But I think there is a discussion to be had about the current performance of the Xbox version (performance) and how this might change in the future. Won't be a huge difference, but I expect Xbox to not have those weird hard drops anymore for example and perform ever so slightly better in most games in the future. As one of the mods pointed out there are some silly drops in DMC that don't make much sense.

Once again, saying "have patience" basically means "accept that for the next 2 years all your games will run worse than PS5 but mayyybe they'll run better after, who knows really". Can't believe he thinks it's a valid excuse.
It's beyond dumb and I want add to this further: FIRST. IMPRESSIONS. that's kind of why the Xbox one was a dumpster fire at the start, the higher price didn't help, but it was made worse when your average person saw games performing worse on it when compared to the ps4. I kind of feel some deja vu with these early observation tbh. I know Microsoft will fix it, but i worry by the time it happens, that gamers, like previously, will have already made thier Choice.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Console war will always console war, it seems.

It seems premature to me to call the xbox dead in the water from a first few multiplat crossgen games with immature dev tools on one side. Power differences have always existed between MS and Sony's consoles. PS3 vs xbox 360, PS4 vs Xbox one, PS4 pro vs Xbox one X. People on both sides have gotten the shaft in terms of multiplat performance at one time or another, but that hasn't dissuaded them from committing to one ecosystem over another. To most gamers it's always been about the content available.

Besides, in terms of raw performance there's PC that has always reigned as king no matter what.
I don't think anyone is saying the XSX is dead in the water. And I think anyone would be silly to say that.

There has just been a LOT of talk leading up to this, and what we are seeing now is not what anyone expected. I mean, we had those saying to expect upwards of 20% advantages on the XSX and how that would be the de-facto platform for multiplats, then those saying that 17% power advantage on paper doesn't translate to 17% advantage in real-time when there are other parts of the system to consider. But non one. None... expected this.

Oh... about the PC thing?
4K, Ultra
- RTX3090 = 60fps
- RTX3080 = 51fps
- RTX2080ti = 44fps
- RTX3070 = 41fps

EVERY single one of those "GPUs" costs more than either PS5/XSX. But yeah, PC is king for sure. I am sure its also has something to do with tools... Seriously though, Ubisoft sucks when it comes to optimizing anything.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Yes they look a lot alike here.

I hadn't seen these.

Funny thing is, there's a number of differences in just those two shots, LOL.

For example, is the smoother edge on the Series X on the Axe/Scene here DRS or AA/DOF (or the lack of it) ??

ac01dmkrz.png

ac02hoj8q.png

The frames don't seem to be at identically the same point, there are some differences in the location of things (particle affects, the cloth on the right) that suggest (if the game is totally deterministic), that they might be some small number of frames apart. Any even very slight difference in the position/orientation of an object could yield a different edge aliasing profile. Not to mention possible post processing differences between frames at different points. There's at least one edge further up on the axe handle in the PS5 frame that looks 'smoother' too.

I presume DF has pretty forensically analysed for differences in the render profiles, beyond what might be in the realm of bug, or differences due to different frames...

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What else are you referring to?
Without going into the stuff nobody really knows about (the supposed customized RDNA2 Cerny mentionned, which afaik has been later talked about by Matt and others not so much as RDNA1.5 but more like 2+), I could see the unified memory (@ 448Gb/s) setup being more advantageous in some circumstances rather than a fragmented 10/6, and of course the GPU clock speed.
What people putting everything on the devkit tools are missing is that of course both will improve over time, not just the Xbox DK.

DrowsyJungle

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting to see. All these multiplat games perform better on PS5 as of now. Wondering if that split memory setup is giving devs troubles initially.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
But it matches with everything the insiders including DF have heard. Hearing the directors of Dirt opinion is great, but you could see how hesitant he was sometimes and he even stopped after ", but" and did go on to talk about something else once.

I think I'd rather believe a dev on record saying it than rumors.

But if we do get valid confirmation about it from another developer then that would turn things over and validate DF rumors and such.

Oct 27, 2017
It's beyond dumb and I want add to this further: FIRST. IMPRESSIONS. that's kind of why the Xbox one was a dumpster fire at the start, the higher price didn't help, but it was made worse when your average person saw games performing worse on it when compared to the ps4. I kind of feel some deja vu with these early observation tbh. I know Microsoft will fix it, but i worry by the time it happens, that gamers, like previously, will have already made thier Choice.

Absolutely. Let me get this straight: if this AC situation happens for every single game for the next two to three months, Microsoft has a PR nightmare in their hands. You cannot repeat and repeat for a whole year that you have the most powerful console and get worse performing multiplat' games compared to your direct concurrent.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
The frames don't seem to be at identically the same point, there are some differences in the location of things (particle affects, the cloth on the right) that suggest (if the game is totally deterministic), that they might be some small number of frames apart. Any even very slight difference in the position/orientation of an object could yield a different edge aliasing profile. Not to mention possible post processing differences between frames at different points. There's at least one edge further up on the axe handle in the PS5 frame that looks 'smoother' too.

I presume DF has pretty forensically analysed for differences in the render profiles, beyond what might be in the realm of bug, or differences due to different frames...

Called this shit back in June, lol:

I'm ready for 1000% zoom-ins and frame-by-frame analysis to spot the differences, lol.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As always, Gamepass? PS5 games are $90 cad and I just paid $75 cad for a year of gamepass. Missed a bunch of last gen games and playing them at better settings with much better loading times has been worth it.
I got like 18 months of GPU for $80(USD) and it's been worth it at that price as I have played a few games with it, but after having it for a few months it loses most of its appeal as it mostly older titles and indies which is all right, but not like it's hyped up to be.

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
I don't think anyone is saying the XSX is dead in the water. And I think anyone would be silly to say that.

There has just been a LOT of talk leading up to this, and what we are seeing now is not what anyone expected. I mean, we had those saying to expect upwards of 20% advantages on the XSX and how that would be the de-facto platform for multiplats, then those saying that 17% power advantage on paper doesn't translate to 17% advantage in real-time when there are other parts of the system to consider. But non one. None... expected this.

Oh... about the PC thing?
4K, Ultra
- RTX3090 = 60fps
- RTX3080 = 51fps
- RTX2080ti = 44fps
- RTX3070 = 41fps

EVERY single one of those "GPUs" costs more than either PS5/XSX. But yeah, PC is king for sure. I am sure its also has something to do with tools... Seriously though, Ubisoft sucks when it comes to optimizing anything.

The consoles sure as hell aren't running Ultra. And those benches are from NATIVE 4K, somehting else none of the consoles are doing.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I think I'd rather believe a dev on record saying it than rumors.

But if we do get valid confirmation about it from another developer then that would turn things over and validate DF rumors and such.
Some devs said on record that the PS3 is easy to develop for at the start of the generation. No, I am not implying he lies. What I am implying is that developers "on record" sometimes are chained by NDA in what they can and can't talk about. Thus sometimes (not always) insider sources are more detailed and more trustworthy, because they can report about issues while developers "on record" may or may not be able to.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Alex clarified that the 15% comment in the article, was the average PS5 frame rate difference advantage across the clip, though in reality it's higher but beyond testing purview due to 60fps/v-sync.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Just watched a cutscene early on in England when you're putting a house together, screen tearing on the SX is just unbearable. Lots of other little visual bugs too.

Lots of shimmering around edges too. It's insane to me how much better the IQ is in Miles Morales, it's pretty much perfect. Game looks really nice but there's a lot of distracting issues.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017

Just to clarify the 15% performance advantage I mention on PS5 I mention in the Video, which I really should have worded differently.
in the moment, there is indeed a greater than 15% performance advantage for PS5, but across the entire performance comp Clip the Computed average was 15%. That includes moments of course where the consoles perform more similar to eachother and Vsync makes them more equalised.
PS5 in the worst moments Is perform Ing BETTER than 15% as the video shows. So Bad wording on my Part.

Any more comparisons we can look forward to this week, Alex?

I'm thinking Watch Dogs, CoD and Dirt 5?

Great job, BTW, to the both of you! (You and John)

Last edited: