• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Spish!

Oct 27, 2017
It's weird that the XSX would have its largest performance dip in an area where the PS5 has no dip, when we see it dipping less than in that bit with the opening doors in areas where the PS5 dips. That's weird to me.
There are other instances where you see a similar performance dip. It's not like the PS5 is completely unaffected but the frame rate cap hides the degree to which the PS5 dropped in that instance. Both drop to 1440p which is indicative that the engine is struggling.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
I'm playing it on xsx, and while the tearing is there, it is pretty good looking, loads acceptably fast, and framerate stays still...which is what I want from a next gen launch game (besides "being demons souls")

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
So until they start 'winning', they get a free pass because things are not fully cooked?

I would like to think Microsoft are looking at the root causes here for why this occurred
not sure what you are talking about. What free pass? Nobody is pretending they did a great job by being late or that the games being worse is fine if it was just because of the late GDK. But we know for certain the GDK is not fully cooked - that's just true. It's absolutely a glaring unfinished element of the ecosystem right now to look at. It's just a legitimate issue raised by devs that may be resolved later. Doesn't mean it isn't a botched rollout if that was truly what is causing issues for launch game ports right now.

I'm sure they are looking into what their roadblocks are but we don't work at Microsoft so we have little insight.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
Edit: apparently I'm putting myself at risk by calling out blatant FUD and misinformation, so never mind.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
In Cerny we trust.

Edit: But seriously, it's great that these two consoles are so close. Now people can shut up about power and just play the games.

Last edited:

~Millet~

Jan 21, 2019
Already posted ? Not mine btw

r7InHkw.jpg

I need a shirt

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
I have a theory. These fps dips on Series X looks like the game is bandwidth starved. You may say how is that possible? Because 560 GB/s is greater than PS5's 448GB/s.

But let's not forget there's also the 336 GB/s of the so-called "standard memory". What if the game's wrongly tapping into the standard memory system here instead of the "GPU optimal memory" (560 GB/s)? This Ubisoft after all (and the number of bugs was really unsurprising).

336 GB/s to 448 GB/s is a 33% increase, and judging from this shot I see a 30% difference in frame-rate in favor of PS5 here. Thoughts?
I still don't understand the reason why MS went back to a split memory pool. I have no idea if what you're describing is the cause, but the general idea of having fast and slow pools of memory makes no sense to me.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
The difference between 23 and 26 seconds loading is the whole time it takes for Spider-Man or demons souls to load lol.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
not sure what you are talking about. What free pass? Nobody is pretending they did a great job by being late or that the games being worse is fine if it was just because of the late GDK. But we know for certain the GDK is not fully cooked - that's just true. It's absolutely a glaring unfinished element of the ecosystem right now to look at. It's just a legitimate issue raised by devs that may be resolved later. Doesn't mean it isn't a botched rollout if that was truly what is causing issues for launch game ports right now.

I'm sure they are looking into what their roadblocks are but we don't work at Microsoft so we have little insight.
What have devs said about the GDK?

I thought it was all rumors due to NDAs and whatnot.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It is clear that this pandemic has hit really hard on cross gen titles the most, and in Ubisoft's case being in Europe it's even worse. Honestly the fact we are even getting these consoles and titles alone is a feat worth celebrating, be it the difficulties experiencing or not.

In regards to performance, obviously there will be those using this as ammo for the console wars that are still stupidly going on. However those with a level headed approach to the discussion will clearly see there are tech issues holding both consoles back in performance, and overall for third parties as time goes on we will see a very nice balance of performance. That to me is the most important feature of next gen, that no matter the console all users will be able to experience similar performance.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
More than happy with how it's performing on the Series X, and the brutalist design of the machine itself is significantly more pleasing to me a e s t h e t i c a l l y. I abhor the look of the PS5.

I also prefer the Xbox controller layout over Sony's (I've had their systems dating back to the PS1, but I've never liked the controllers), so definitely don't mind going with the Series X first. Assassin's Creed runs more than fine in it, and there's plenty of shots in digital foundries video where I think the game looks better on Series X (see: that middle-of-the-day shot, where the PS5 looks too dark).

I don't think it's surprising that cross-platform titles are performing better on the machine that has the larger market, and I'm not sure that games that have been developed throughout the pandemic is necessarily the best way to judge what machine is "better".

professor_t

Oct 27, 2017
It will be interesting to see how things play out over time. Perhaps Microsoft's strategy of cross-platform development will put their multiplatform games at a disadvantage for the entire generation. However, it's a little early to draw any firm conclusions, I think.

One question - does having a smaller user base mean that devs may spend less time/resources on the Microsoft iterations of a game, or is that a non-factor?

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It will be interesting to see how things play out over time. Perhaps Microsoft's strategy of cross-platform development will put their multiplatform games at a disadvantage for the entire generation. However, it's a little early to draw any firm conclusions, I think.

One question - does having a smaller user base mean that devs may spend less time/resources on the Microsoft iterations of a game, or is that a non-factor?

Na. Smaller yes but still very significant.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
It's weird that the XSX would have its largest performance dip in an area where the PS5 has no dip, when we see it dipping less than in that bit with the opening doors in areas where the PS5 dips. That's weird to me.
The thing though is that everywhere theXSX saw a dip so did the PS5. All but one specific case think. The PS5 just stabilized faster.

Personally, I feel the reason these things are happening has something to do with caching on the PS5 and that split RAM pool on the XSX. At least on a hardware level. Because otherwise, the XSX should at least have enough power to brute force it. There is too much that is at least working on the XSX on par with the PS5 to just conclude that it's all because of weak tools. I believe there has to be more to this.

As I said in the DMC thread, if this was a tools issue primarily, then it would be worse all the time. And not just sometimes.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Is Fafalada a dev? He mentioned in the COD thread that this is the most prepared that Microsoft has been for a new generation as far as the tool set and that devs had them for atleast a year already. I don't think anything will change this whole generation these consoles are just close and both offer hardware advantages over the other. Devs for months told us TF is only one metric of the gpu and we can't just look at that number to determine which would perform better but alas people got swept up in the marketing instead of waiting for the games. We also had some bad faith actors spreading mistruths so it's good they're getting exposed because this industry needs to get rid of the toxicity and those people need to be ignored they only sow discord, both ownsers of the PS5 and Series X will be happy all generation these machines are extremely powerful.

Yes he is a dev .
Either way the systems will be close with each having there advantages.
XSX will most likely pull ahead for certain things but not by much for it to be a huge issue for most .

Trilobite

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Look, I get that comparing consoles will never go away and that people will tout one over the other.
I just don´t see the problem with any of the three versions here.
To me, comparing the Series X and PS5 using this game is the closest I have ever seen parity between Microsoft and Sony and that makes me kind of happy in my opinion. It is good that consoles have reached a point where they are mostly similar in performance.

I have never owned an Xbox since Playstation was the thing that grabbed me back in the day, and I never had the money to own both, but I think the Series X is doing great here. I would not be mad playing this on an Xbox.

Probably, as they mentioned in the video, things might be different when moving on from cross gen games to next gen only, and I seriously don´t care which product comes out ahead.

If I get one of the new consoles while strapped for cash, I´d problably get the Series S.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Looking at the post count I'm guessing the PS5 version is better?

I've been saying in the OT that the game has frequent screen tearing, mad bugs and bad looking cutscenes on my Series X.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA

No, DF and reporters like Jason have passed on info to the public that devs (who yes, can't be named) have confirmed the PS5 transition was a pleasure while the Xbox switch was late and is newer and causing pain points
Is Fafalada a dev? He mentioned in the COD thread that this is the most prepared that Microsoft has been for a new generation as far as the tool set and that devs had them for atleast a year already. I don't think anything will change this whole generation these consoles are just close and both offer hardware advantages over the other. Devs for months told us TF is only one metric of the gpu and we can't just look at that number to determine which would perform better but alas people got swept up in the marketing instead of waiting for the games. We also had some bad faith actors spreading mistruths so it's good they're getting exposed because this industry needs to get rid of the toxicity and those people need to be ignored they only sow discord, both ownsers of the PS5 and Series X will be happy all generation these machines are extremely powerful.
What does he think the setbacks for Series X are then that are surprising to people like DF and some consumers? I'm not familiar with his post, but did he say what the blame is?

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA

Not sure what you mean. DF themselves even bring it up again in the article (Jason has said it to). Devs themselves have told them the Xbox transition came later and has been less smooth for them than the PS5 tools due to Xbox moving to a new toolset.

aronmayo

Jul 29, 2020
People making such conclusive statements about each console's quality based on a couple cross-gen ports are going to look pretty silly in a year or two.

Based on the first party offerings (Spider-man, Gears 5, Demon's Souls) both consoles are going to be doing some awesome things in the future.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
The thing though is that everywhere theXSX saw a dip so did the PS5. All but one specific case think. The PS5 just stabilized faster.

It's an IO beast. Someone put out a video of it doing path of exile and was nicely surprised by generational improvements and the fact it holds up better than a lot of mid or high tier grade pcs.

You would need to customize windows for a ram drive and decent DDR4 ram to do better or equal.

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
More than happy with how it's performing on the Series X, and the brutalist design of the machine itself is significantly more pleasing to me a e s t h e t i c a l l y. I abhor the look of the PS5.

I also prefer the Xbox controller layout over Sony's (I've had their systems dating back to the PS1, but I've never liked the controllers), so definitely don't mind going with the Series X first. Assassin's Creed runs more than fine in it, and there's plenty of shots in digital foundries video where I think the game looks better on Series X (see: that middle-of-the-day shot, where the PS5 looks too dark).

I don't think it's surprising that cross-platform titles are performing better on the machine that has the larger market, and I'm not sure that games that have been developed throughout the pandemic is necessarily the best way to judge what machine is "better".

Are you talking to yourself to justice your purchase, because it sure sound like it.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

He defended the tweet, no less... This shit is so transparent and embarrassing, my God. He did the same type of shit during the launch of the X1/PS4.

Edit: Sorry, Tom! Tagged you accidentally!

This is an incredibly strange thing to say, especially considering there's notbing atopping devs from outputting at Series S settings on PS5 for better framerates.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Its some kind of texture bug, you can see the same scene at the 6:09 mark. The SX version started with the same lower res texture , then loaded in the higher res, buuut it went back to the lower res version couple of seconds later. Surprised you didn't catch that. You may want to edit your post since some people are using it for ammo lol.

Yeah, I noticed that, so it is most likely a bug like many think. It only seems to load the "high-res" texture on the X at any point in that cut-scene. The S and PS5 never load the higher-resolution one at any point it seems.

I'd love to do a PS5/Series X texture examination up close, but I don't like AC games, lol. So me personally ever doing it myself isn't going to happen. I find them horribly boring.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Dev tools being the excuse doesn't seem to match with what the Dirt 5 technical director's opinions about the current status of GDK.

Hitokiri03

Oct 25, 2017
Something DF didn't touch on. There are some obvious texture quality differences at times. I noticed them watching in 1440p, so I upped it to 4k, and I could see them in motion. Obviously you have to stick to moments where the lighting seems to cast the same on the models, but in my first example, on the left here, there is an obvious (if you're doing a tech/magnifying technical look at it...level obvious..lol) texture resolution difference.

The texture resolution isn't even close if we're being picky. Granted, it's like Ultra vs Very High...lol. It doesn't appear to be a dynamic resolution situation at all.

texturequalityuakz2.png

Seems like that would be hard to miss with how closely things are looked at.

They have direct shoots on the site

Series X

PS5

It looks the same to me.

Glassjaw

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I am shelving the XBX version until the inevitable patch comes out to rectify the situation. I am doing it solely because the colors look like shit on my QLED (played Odyssey and Origins on my OLED so I guess I am comparing it to my prior experience.) Have plenty to play until that happens.

CrispyGamer

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
No, DF and reporters like Jason have passed on info to the public that devs (who yes, can't be named) have confirmed the PS5 transition was a pleasure while the Xbox switch was late and is newer and causing pain points

What does he think the setbacks for Series X are then that are surprising to people like DF and some consumers? I'm not familiar with his post, but did he say what the blame is?
He doesn't seem too concerned about the tools and was combating the notion that the tools where late. He wasn't privy to how much earlier devs received PS5's kits but that it was a familiar language to PS4, it's just the nature of game development when both consoles are this close expect wins on both sides. So i guess we shouldn't look at it as a "setback" it just seems to imply a negative

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Are you talking to yourself to justice your purchase, because it sure sound like it.

Haha, no. I came from a One S and a PS4 Slim. My PC is a 3600x and 32gb of ram (but with a 1060 and 1080p screens, but all I play on that is WoW and Age of Empires 2), so anything is going to look good compared to what I'm used to. The PS5 looks so bad to me that I don't want it sitting in my living room (if it doesn't get a revision at some point I'll pick it up eventually, I didn't get a PS4 until last year, so plenty of stuff to catch up with still for that), and like I said, I just prefer the Xbox layout for controllers over PS's. All that new controller technology isn't relevant to me if it doesn't feel good when I'm holding it. I'll have everything eventually, but the Series X made significantly more sense for that first leap. I think in general stuff like this is kind of dumb, because I'm not going to know that the X version of AC is "worse" unless I have it set up right next the PS5, which... isn't going to happen right now, but I will know that the PS5 would look much more out of place with the aesthetic of my place (which is some what "rustic") than the Series X does.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
I suspected both consoles were going to be close enough to not really matter. Third party parity is a good thing, right? Devs can work on content rather than porting woes.

Fitzgerald

Feb 23, 2018
User Warned: Mod whining
Kind of disappointed that this thread is console wars galore, would have expected mods to moderate but whatever 🤷🏻‍♂️

May 21, 2018
Console war will always console war, it seems.

It seems premature to me to call the xbox dead in the water from a first few multiplat crossgen games with immature dev tools on one side. Power differences have always existed between MS and Sony's consoles. PS3 vs xbox 360, PS4 vs Xbox one, PS4 pro vs Xbox one X. People on both sides have gotten the shaft in terms of multiplat performance at one time or another, but that hasn't dissuaded them from committing to one ecosystem over another. To most gamers it's always been about the content available.

Besides, in terms of raw performance there's PC that has always reigned as king no matter what.

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
Haha, no. I came from a One S and a PS4 Slim. My PC is a 3600x and 32gb of ram (but on a 1060 and 1080p screens, but all I play on that is WoW and Age of Empires 2), so anything is going to look good compared to what I'm used to. The PS5 looks so bad to me that I don't want it sitting in my living room (if it doesn't get a revision at some point I'll pick it up eventually, I didn't get a PS4 until last year, so plenty of stuff to catch up with still for that), and like I said, I just prefer the Xbox layout for controllers over PS's. I'll have everything eventually, but the Series X made significantly more sense for that first leap.

Understandable, i have my series X and it fits perfectly. Still dont know where to put the PS5. And seriously every comparisons blows up here, but in real live you would not even notice. Playing AC and it looks beautifull and i dont see any screen tearing myself or notice and drops. You really need to look for it to notice it.

Litigator

Oct 31, 2017
Looking at the post count I'm guessing the PS5 version is better?

I've been saying in the OT that the game has frequent screen tearing, mad bugs and bad looking cutscenes on my Series X.

Yes. PS5 version is better. More stable frame rate, less screen tearing, faster loading, and dynamic resolution doesn't drop as low a Series X.

Dec 31, 2017
Definitely a case of Ubisoft not polishing the Series X version enough as there is no excuse for it not running at least at parity with PS5 with the hardware it has.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
know nothing about tech, but i would resume it like this:
XSX has a Tflops advantage, based on the number of the CUs. So every game engine reyling on it should show a clear advantage for Xbox.
However I guess some game engines do work better with a faster GPU clock, that's why PS5 performs better in some other games
Uhm... TF are calculated with clock speed and CU count. But yes TF don't tell the full story.
I still don't understand the reason why MS went back to a split memory pool. I have no idea if what you're describing is the cause, but the general idea of having fast and slow pools of memory makes no sense to me.
Cost and according to them developers demand for more bandwidth. It also isn't like a split memory setup seen in previous consoles. The GPU and CPU can access all of the 13,5GB available, while on PS3 for example there was a strict split between CPU and GPU RAM iirc.
Dev tools being the excuse doesn't seem to match with what the Dirt 5 technical director's opinions about the current status of GDK.
But it matches with everything the insiders including DF have heard. Hearing the directors of Dirt opinion is great, but you could see how hesitant he was sometimes and he even stopped after ", but" and did go on to talk about something else once.