• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
It's less about the maturity of the tool, and entirely about the *familiarity* the devs have with the tools. And I'm not telling you it has anything to do with these performance differences, all I'm seeing there is speculation.

But the reason it is *reasonable* to expect things to improve more on the XSX with regards to the tools, is that devs are still learning them on the XSX (since they're brand new) where as on the PS5 side, the tools are very very similar to the PS4 tools.
They certainly aren't "brand new," devs have had them for a year. But they are absolutely newer than many of the PS5's tools.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
So instead of people finally accepting that they will both probably be more or less the same long term, as we've been told countless time by actual devs, people are now going "just wait, it'll happen soon!" XSX will probably close the gap, but, expecting some huge swing the other way is probably going to leave you disappointed again.

The mid gens are probably your best bet now, so I'd get saving up I guess.

ZeroNoir_

Oct 25, 2017
Already posted ? Not mine btw

r7InHkw.jpg

Series X early adopter here

I almost choked with food,m thanks

Munstre

Mar 7, 2020
Again, nobody said we know for sure things will flip to where many expected them to be as far as a gap. But there's a reason DF and devs in the industry keep saying that Xbox tools are something to watch because they were not in a good state for launch and devs said it was having an effect. People are raising a valid question that is echoed by comments coming from devs themselves. It may be responsible for this, or maybe not. But its fair to consider as the potential big culprit.
Again sure thing, but improvements to the tools are only going to go so far. Maybe they will bring the Xbox up to parity with PS5 in a game like this. But beyond that, I don't see any reason for anyone to assume that Xbox will eventually be the multiplat king down the line. Which is certainly a sentiment I've seen expressed as more of these comparisons are coming out.

deskgo

Banned
Nov 3, 2020
Something DF didn't touch on. There are some obvious texture quality differences at times. I noticed them watching in 1440p, so I upped it to 4k, and I could see them in motion. Obviously you have to stick to moments where the lighting seems to cast the same on the models, but in my first example, on the left here, there is an obvious (if you're doing a tech/magnifying technical look at it...level obvious..lol) texture resolution difference.

The texture resolution isn't even close if we're being picky. Granted, it's like Ultra vs Very High...lol. It doesn't appear to be a dynamic resolution situation at all.

texturequalityuakz2.png

Seems like that would be hard to miss with how closely things are looked at.

Its some kind of texture bug, you can see the same scene at the 6:09 mark. The SX version started with the same lower res texture , then loaded in the higher res, buuut it went back to the lower res version couple of seconds later. Surprised you didn't catch that. You may want to edit your post since some people are using it for ammo lol.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
It is what is. Right now PS5 seems to have the edge in multi plats, but it is slight. How that evolves remains to be seen but certainly lines up with what has come out from devs.

Kodama4

Oct 25, 2017
Again, nobody said we know for sure things will flip to where many expected them to be as far as a gap. But there's a reason DF and devs in the industry keep saying that Xbox tools are something to watch because they were not in a good state for launch and devs said it was having an effect. People are raising a valid question that is echoed by comments coming from devs themselves. It may be responsible for this, or maybe not. But its fair to consider as the potential big culprit.

Yes, but why did Microsoft let this happen? why was their API undercooked just because it was new? why did they not have engineers out at developers helping them with the new API? is it down to the developers to learn everything by themselves? Microsoft knew that making an early impression would be key to success but they have still let this happen?
There is no conclusion here, just more questions.... How could they allow this to happen after all excellent build up and hard effort they put it to get the XSX to were it is. Phils PR has been on point (compared to his opposite) yet he is let down by a simple issue of an undercooked API?

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Only disappointing thing about this comparison is Series S performance. I foresee a rough few years for Series S owners once next gen games start coming

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
So instead of people finally accepting that they will both probably be more or less the same long term, as we've been told countless time by actual devs, people are now going "just wait, it'll happen soon!" XSX will probably close the gap, but, expecting some huge swing the other way is probably going to leave you disappointed again.

The mid gens are probably your best bet now, so I'd get saving up I guess.
I think expecting huge swings is unreasonable as both consoles are incredibly close and everyone can be happy about their console of choice. But I do expect Xbox to perform slightly better more often than not in the future.
Again sure thing, but improvements to the tools are only going to go so far. Maybe they will bring the Xbox up to parity with PS5 in a game like this. But beyond that, I don't see any reason for anyone to assume that Xbox will eventually be the multiplat king down the line. Which is certainly a sentiment I've seen expressed as more of these comparisons are coming out.
So you are expecting PS5 will either performance better or be on par with Xbox?
There it is.

May 12, 2020
User Banned (2 weeks): Console wars, long history of similar behaviour

I feel bad for those people that fell for the Xbox marketing machine. Sucks that you have to buy a TV with VRR to fix the screen tearing issues.

HypnoToad344

Jul 11, 2020
PS5 dev tools have been universally praised for how polished, full-featured, and straight-forward they are since early 2020. While at the same time it's not exactly a secret that Series X dev tools came in hot and are still undercooked.

We'll see how the plays out in the long term but it absolutely could be "how these things work".
Not really. If you look at past generations PlayStation dev tools have made leaps and bounds in performance improvements going from early gen to late gen. Obviously, much the same will happen with XBox given what we're hearing, but suggesting that Xbox will just rocket past what PS5 is capable of in light of the meager power difference makes this sound like wishful thinking,

Rikimaru

Nov 2, 2017
Xbox having some CPU I/O reservation looks plausible.

Valhalla scene with fire maybe caused by faster PS5 fillrate?

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
Did they though? I haven't seen anything from devs saying that this is causing performance issues, just that they kits are new.

Not really. If you look at past generations PlayStation dev tools have made leaps and bounds in performance improvements going from early gen to late gen. Obviously, much the same will happen with XBox given what we're hearing, but suggesting that Xbox will just rocket past what PS5 is capable of in light of the meager power difference makes this sound like wishful thinking,
Late gen is useless for a platform holder though. They need to come out swinging to get that momentum or else the narrative is written and people just don't see the XSX as a "better" machine. In fact they will see it as worse.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope this isn't indicative of how other multi-platform games will perform, all because of an effort to have visual parity. I didn't plan on getting Valhalla, but I'm pretty sure I'd notice the frame tearing enough to stop playing as many others have.

I don't want dumb promises of a 50% increase in performance vs what's there now. I just want a locked 60fps - use "lower settings" if that's what it takes.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yes, but why did Microsoft let this happen? why was their API undercooked just because it was new? why did they not have engineers out at developers helping them with the new API? is it down to the developers to learn everything by themselves? Microsoft knew that making an early impression would be key to success but they have still let this happen?
There is no conclusion here, just more questions.... How could they allow this to happen after all excellent build up and hard effort they put it to get the XSX to were it is. Phils PR has been on point (compared to his opposite) yet he is let down by a simple issue of an undercooked API?
"How could they let this happen?" is not a relevant question at all lol. The question for this thread is whether that could be responsible for unexpected launch outcomes from cross gen games, and if it will be different as the tools are finished in coming months or more. We could ask how Halo Infinite or another first party title wasn't ready for launch either and the reality is they work on things but their plans got behind or off track or whatever. Really doesn't matter why their launch is undercooked - just matters that we so far think they are working on getting these things fully cooked.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I think expecting huge swings is unreasonable as both consoles are incredibly close and everyone can be happy about their console of choice. But I do expect Xbox to perform slightly better more often than not in the future.
So you are expecting PS5 will either performance better or be on bar with Xbox?
There it is.
Same, but I don't think it'll be much to talk about really, like most are now, unnoticable outside of people like DF telling you, might be the rare game here and there that's an anomaly, but it'll go both ways.

Spish!

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not talking about any games other than DMCV and ACV in that post. Can you explain why XSX struggles with the fight in the room with the curtains more than any other bit in their testing? It wasn't a bottleneck at all on PS5, despite most everything else running almost in parallel.

If the PS5 has a performance advantage we would expect any section the PS5 dips at, for the XSX to dip harder, or the areas where the XSX barely dips for the PS5 not to dip. That's what we see in most of the footage ACV. What we see in the section they highlight as odd, *is* odd, because the XSX drops a good deal more there and the PS5 doesn't drop at all, unlike what you see everywhere else.

So no, I am not suggesting every performance drop is a bug, but the worst case scenario that people are talking about for ACV looks like one to me. Remove that, and you still have the PS5 with a performance lead. Just not a 20% lead.
I don't think that scene shows anything all that inconsistent with the other footage. The PS5 also drops resolution to 1440p in the same area so it looks like the engine is stressing the hardware on both versions. It's just that the PS5 is able to maintain 60fps without tearing while the Series X isn't. Alex says something to the effect of, barring extra optimization effort, they should lower the minimum resolution even further for the Series X to alleviate the performance issues.

The 60fps cap is hiding some of the performance difference but I think the PS5 just runs better overall during gameplay with wide enough margins that you only find issues on the Series X. I agree it's weird but something is definitely going wrong on the Xbox side right now.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
PS5's are gonna be sold out here until spring either way, so I'm stuck with the Series X version when my console arrives next month. Hopefully they'll have fixed the issues by then. The SX should be more than powerful enough to deliver the same visuals and performance as the PS5, so this has to be an optimization issue,

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA

I feel bad for those people that fell for the Xbox marketing machine. Sucks that you have to buy a TV with VRR to fix the screen tearing issues.

What do you mean "fell for?" Did you have inside info they wouldn't be at least equal? Was there a reason to think Xbox was going to not be as good for multi platform?

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Several knowledgeable and connected people have already chimed in on this saying Series X dev tools came in hot and that there's a learning curve compared to PS5, which is more of an extension of PS4 dev tools.

It's not wishful thinking, it's rational thinking to believe that there's more room for growth in Series X development vs PS5 development.

How big of a difference that will make in the real world? Who knows.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is what is. Right now PS5 seems to have the edge in multi plats, but it is slight. How that evolves remains to be seen but certainly lines up with what has come out from devs.

Not at all what many players expected I bet, I just assumed Valhalla would be obviously better on Xbox so this is surprising.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Ok. so devs have had it since February. And you are refusing to accept that they are not "brand new" like a lot have pointed out... including a dev.

Bt here's another take. It doesn't even matter. At the end of the day, it's a kit for PC, XB1, and XS platforms. You really expect that to be better than a devkit designed for one specific platform? No matter what, it wil always be less work optimizing for the PS5. And in dev speak, less work means more time available, more time means better results.

I don't know why the possibility of the PS5 just being better in certain things (even if that's easier to work on) is just so hard for some to accept. When since march devs have been talking about how great it is to work on the PS5.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I don't think that scene shows anything all that inconsistent with the other footage. The PS5 also drops resolution to 1440p in the same area so it looks like the engine is stressing the hardware on both versions. It's just that the PS5 is able to maintain 60fps without tearing while the Series X isn't. Alex says something to the effect of, barring extra optimization effort, they should lower the minimum resolution even further for the Series X to alleviate the performance issues.

The 60fps cap is hiding some of the performance difference but I think the PS5 just runs better overall during gameplay with wide enough margins that you only find issues on the Series X. I agree it's weird but something is definitely going wrong on the Xbox side right now.
It's weird that the XSX would have its largest performance dip in an area where the PS5 has no dip, when we see it dipping less than in that bit with the opening doors in areas where the PS5 dips. That's weird to me.

CrispyGamer

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
Is Fafalada a dev? He mentioned in the COD thread that this is the most prepared that Microsoft has been for a new generation as far as the tool set and that devs had them for atleast a year already. I don't think anything will change this whole generation these consoles are just close and both offer hardware advantages over the other. Devs for months told us TF is only one metric of the gpu and we can't just look at that number to determine which would perform better but alas people got swept up in the marketing instead of waiting for the games. We also had some bad faith actors spreading mistruths so it's good they're getting exposed because this industry needs to get rid of the toxicity and those people need to be ignored they only sow discord, both ownsers of the PS5 and Series X will be happy all generation these machines are extremely powerful.

Bobbyleejones

Banned
Aug 25, 2019
Ok. so devs have had it since February. And you are refusing to accept that they are not "brand new" like a lot have pointed out... including a dev.

Bt here's another take. It doesn't even matter. At the end of the day, it's a kit for PC, XB1, and XS platforms. You really expect that to be better than a devkit designed for one specific platform? No matter what, it wil always be less work optimizing for the PS5. And in dev speak, less work means more time available, more time means better results.

I don't know why the possibility of the PS5 just being better in certain things (even if that's easier to work on) is just so hard for some to accept. When since march devs have been talking about how great it is to work on the PS5.
Development and retail certification for scarlet was only approved since June. So I have to imagine the multiple changes that were occurring during those months and even up till now

g-m1n1

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
I know nothing about tech, but i would resume it like this:
XSX has a Tflops advantage, based on the number of the CUs. So every game engine reyling on it should show a clear advantage for Xbox.
However I guess some game engines do work better with a faster GPU clock, that's why PS5 performs better in some other games.

I think tht XSX will have more games performing better in the future.

However the actual situation is extremely funny, after months of FUD against the 8-9Tflops of the PS5 that wasn't ready and overheating according to some Twitter experts. :-D

Velg

Jan 6, 2018
I'm happy I bought it on PS5. After months of shit about variable clocks and not having full RDNA 2 and all this other nonsense, all I have to say is Cerny did a good job

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

I wasn't talking about unfinished versions of the tools when I called them brand new. That's it. Split hairs if you must.

Kodama4

Oct 25, 2017
"How could they let this happen?" is not a relevant question at all lol. The question for this thread is whether that could be responsible for unexpected launch outcomes from cross gen games, and if it will be different as the tools are finished in coming months or more. We could ask how Halo Infinite or another first party title wasn't ready for launch either and the reality is they work on things but their plans got behind or off track or whatever. Really doesn't matter why their launch is undercooked - just matters that we so far think they are working on getting these things fully cooked.

So until they start 'winning', they get a free pass because things are not fully cooked?

I would like to think Microsoft are looking at the root causes here for why this occurred

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. The general sentiment between this thread, DMC, and the COD thread is that these systems appear very close right now.

If anything, it's the opposite. Better performing multiplats was actually a significant competitive advantage for 360 and PS4. These products are very close right now.

People are always going to be intrigued about performance differences. But so far they are small. Many people have gone with the Microsoft ecosystem under the assumption they would be getting the best multi platform titles.

What's panning out to be more important than ever are:
-games
-services
-where your friends are playing

Not performance differentials.

There is not a narrative that power is suddenly relevant again.

I would add Dual Sense to that list. After feeling it in astro and spiderman It will definitely influence what platform I purchase games on if they support it fully.