• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BIG-JG

Oct 27, 2017
Thats some nit-picky shit. They both look great to me. Series S isn't in the same ballpark so why even compare? Meh.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017

I demand a teraflop recount!

OT: lol honestly, long term, these two systems will perform very close to each other. Any sensible person even without a tech background would have told you this. Heck, devs told people this. But there was SO much fud by fanboys and ms media fanboys about PS5 capabilities leading up the system launch. That does make this hilarious. BUt yeah long term the differences won't be much I reckon with both systems doing better in some areas and worse in others.

Deleted member 57361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019
Matt also said Xbox should performance better (higher resolution). Your point? Of course both consoles are close. But I don't think everyone expecting Xbox to perform better was ignoring comments or being ignorant.
My point is that many people preferred to listen to these unreliable people instead people who really knows how both software and hardware in these consoles are working. Jason was the first to report for example that Xbox was late, but many didn't believe simply because they showed the box and the concept trailer for Hellblade first.

We have 15 pages of people talking about performance mostly, while I think 1-3 people talked about loading. Before the comparisons we had people saying PS5 will have 2x shorter loading at the very least. What happened to that? Should people now talk about those guys and say how unreasonable it was to focus on "bandwith, bandwidth, bandwidth", when insiders told them there is more to it? Should people be allowed to make silly and false claims that perhabs MS worked more on bottlenecks, because clearly (joking) Xbox is punching above their loading weights?

Loading times performance is not a good way to judge the disparity between SSD's because we don't have data on the amount of assets these games are actually putting into memory. Anyway, the biggest feature about PS5 SSD is not the fact that you can load scenes at fast pace, it's the fact that you can keep only 1 second of next gameplay sequence on memory.

Spish!

Oct 27, 2017
Going from 864p in stress points before they patched it to 1440p in those same stress points, is a *massive* difference.
Sure, it's a 40% difference in resolution but at the same time it was rendering some buffers at 4K as opposed to 1440p on Pro, and there were improvements in other areas of the visuals. I haven't checked frame time graphs but the article doesn't suggest the One X is struggling there compared to PS4 Pro either.

There seemed to be an issue or bug in resolution scaling but nothing suggested the One X version was performing 40% worse than Pro. The issue with XSX right now isn't the same as a one-off bug in a single game impacting scaling, instead it's actually underperforming across a series of games. Keep in mind I'm not saying bugs don't impact performance but this is more fundamental than that.

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
If only Microsoft stayed silent and let the games speak instead of trying to FUD the PS5 for months on hardware power even recently with the "full RDNA2" stuff, their (now evidently false) claim on twitter that AC would be best on XSX (!!), not to mention all the help they got from their friends in the press and certain toxic fans of theirs to spread misinformation about PS5, now that reality is here and PS5 is performing better in multiplatform releases things wouldn't have backfired for them in this way (and that's right when it matters, when the consoles are finally out).
Btw it's good to see that both consoles are equally capable (like btw most developers had already suggested).

Munstre

Mar 7, 2020
Your image is super low-res. I'll assume you're talking about the face/textures. The clothing is identical here, and has DOF applied to it, so texture resolution can't be compared.

Here's an HD grab from both. I can switch them around randomly, and no-one would be able to identify which is which, haha. There's no noticeable difference in this example.

texturequality27uktt.png
So you are admitting that there is no difference? Despite saying earlier that there was an obvious difference?

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Seems this isn't just isolated to the odd game either. Jeff and Brad from GiantBomb suggested Watch Dogs Legion and No Mans Sky both run smoother on the PS5.

2:14:05 timestamp.

There is one SUPER annoying thing in NMS texture pop-in on the ground is so damn annoying in the game, and happens on both XSX and PS5.
So you are admitting that there is no difference? Despite saying earlier that there was an obvious difference?
Which leads to say that particular scene prob had some kind of bug lol.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I tend to agree but you'd think that Ubisoft would pay a bit more attention to the platform it has a marketing deal with.
That's a fair point, but I think it's more a problem for Microsoft (and more specifically Microsoft's marketing team) then it is Ubisoft. I would not be surprised if the PS version of the game sold better than the Xbox version.

Needless to say, I would expect Ubi to iron out the performance issues over time while they work on the inevitable DLC.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure games like Valhalla or even Cyberpunk which where clearly designed with PS4 and XBOX One in mind (see loading times) tell us the whole story.

That said, my avatar tells the whole story which of the three console I'll be getting tomorrow :).

Deleted member 56995

User requested account closure
Banned
May 24, 2019
If the games are going to be better looking at the end of this gen compared to what we have now at launch then they certainly can and will make room for refinements on the PS5.
There will certainly be refinements on Sony's side, but there will be significantly more refinements on Microsoft's side. The Series X will likely be outperforming the PS5 at the end of the gen, we'll see some slight resolution advantages that could be widened due to DirectML, though framerates on both are likely to be very similar due to them having a basically identical CPU. However, there is no doubt that currently, the PS5 is the superior machine and I'm glad that I went with the PS5 this console launch.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Sure, it's a 40% difference in resolution but at the same time it was rendering some buffers at 4K as opposed to 1440p on Pro, and there were improvements in other areas of the visuals. I haven't checked frame time graphs but the article doesn't suggest the One X is struggling there compared to PS4 Pro either.

There seemed to be an issue or bug in resolution scaling but nothing suggested the One X version was performing 40% worse than Pro. The issue with XSX right now isn't the same as a one-off bug in a single game impacting scaling, instead it's actually underperforming across a series of games. Keep in mind I'm not saying bugs don't impact performance but this is more fundamental than that.
What we see in DMC5 looks *exactly* like a bug to me. The area the Xbox Series X performs worst in at performance mode has nothing on screen accounting for why it would be a performance bottleneck, when the generally 'heavier' cutscenes run faster. That scene with the door opening in this game, where the game has a repeatable performance drop... does that really look like the most stressful scene in all the footage here? Because to me it absolutely doesn't.

Nov 1, 2020
As someone playing it on the XSX, I'll just say the tearing is really only noticeable during *some* cutscenes (just like the DF team said). People making a mountain out of a molehill. And I say this as someone who HATES screen tearing. I'm the type to always put Vsync on, to hell with input lag if it means I don't get tearing. So yeah.

Am I the only one who is bummed that we still aren't getting full 4K/60fps in games on these new consoles? I'm hoping once we get out of this cross-gen phase, things will start to be more optimized for the new hardware.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

NGL, the first time I saw that video, I let it play as a bit of joke laughing at myself in the beginning. But effin' hell, I nearly listened to the whole damn thing! It is akin to a knowledge dropping lullaby.

Different dev team. Different engine. How could it be a Ubisoft issue?

Both their titles are not where they should be on XSX (seemingly). They are using the same devkit. But, perhaps I should have mentioned the caveat that that was just a speculation given the enormous horsepower XSX objectively possesses.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
I think both run fine but... wasn't the Series S billed as a 60fps machine? The gen just started and that's already being bucked?

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
If only Microsoft stayed silent and let the games speak instead of trying to FUD the PS5 for months on hardware power even recently with the "full RDNA2" stuff, their (now evidently false) claim on twitter that AC would be best on XSX (!!), not to mention all the help they got from their friends in the press and certain toxic fans of theirs to spread misinformation about PS5, now that reality is here and PS5 is performing better in multiplatform releases things wouldn't have backfired for them in this way (and that's right when it matters, when the consoles are finally out).
Btw it's good to see that both consoles are equally capable (like btw most developers had already suggested).

Series X is the more powerful machine regardless of how you cut it. But theres more to getting a game to run than just the hardware.

DJKippling

Nov 1, 2017
honestly this just kills any chance xbox had of getting back up there with playstation if things don't change fast. no one is ever going to consider one over ps5 now. This will really hurt them. someone needs to explain what's going on quickly or they just look bad to the public.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It will be extremely interesting to watch Series S throughout the gen. When developers really start pushing the other two will there be big framerate differences? Also, if a developer is targeting 1440p 30FPS on the Series X will Series S even be able to hit 900p on that same title? The value proposition tumbles by a lot if it can't keep the same performance.

Gassy_N0va

Oct 27, 2017
LMAO at some of the hyperbole in here. I guess we shall see how things shake out once dev tools on the X and S mature over the next year

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC

There is an obvious difference in some clothing textures in like for like moments. I'm not sure what you're trying to say here, there's an obvious difference in some scenes. There is no major difference in textures (like the faces) in most scenes.

I literally pointed out there are differences in some places, but not in others. It's a possible bug. Yes, there are obvious differences in what I posted the first time. No there aren't major differences in the face textures in the second comparison.

Why are you acting like pointing out differences in one scene, and no difference in another is some kind of contradiction? 🤣 It is what it is.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wasnt it expected that the two consoles woild trade blows in performance? Anyone who thought the Series X was going tk blow the PS5 out of the water with just an 18% teraflops advamtage was deluding themselves.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing on my series x and have yet to notice any large frame drops. Though now I wish I got it on ps5 because the screen tearing is super annoying.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
To Dictator and Dark1x, just want to thank you both for this incredibly in-depth and detailed analysis. You covered so many different bases and aspects, with a great selection of example scenes and attention to detail. I can only imagine how much time and effort went into it.

On a side note, I'm glad you covered the weird Series X cutscene stutter issue too. At first I thought it was just frame drops or something, but it seems you're saying it's a weird camera skipping issue. Either way, the cutscene judder and tearing are both distracting.

Spish!

Oct 27, 2017
What we see in DMC5 looks *exactly* like a bug to me. The area the Xbox Series X performs worst in at performance mode has nothing on screen accounting for why it would be a performance bottleneck, when the generally 'heavier' cutscenes run faster. That scene with the door opening in this game, where the game has a repeatable performance drop... does that really look like the most stressful scene in all the footage here? Because to me it absolutely doesn't.
So the Series X just happens to have version specific bugs across all these games that tanks performance but the PS5 is bug free?

DMCV shows that there are elements of its rendering that favour Series X at lower frames but PS5 enjoys an advantage at 120fps. The other comparisons we have show better overall PS5 performance so right now there's evidence of something wrong with the Series X. What that is we don't know but it's not looking like an unfortunate string of game specific bugs.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I think it should be repeated.

It performs 15% worse at very specific times in the game.

Otherwise it's equal.

Unless I'm misinterpreting things.

With a 60fps target, the only time you can see a difference in performance is when a frame takes longer than 16.6667ms to render. That's where we see the dips inflame rate. When both consoles are running at a smooth 60fps it doesn't mean that their performance is actually equivalent - it just means that the difference is not visible. One could be rendering the frame in 10ms while the other takes 13ms, and you wouldn't be able to tell. The distinction might seem academic given that they're producing the same visual result in this instance, but it's probably not a good idea to think of them as equal performers even in this situation. After all, it means one has more overhead than the other that a developer could use for additional draw distance, or effects, or higher quality materials rendering.

Oct 27, 2017
I get the feeling that this thread is going to be fun to read in a couple of years once we are full swing into next-gen and not comparing ports in a pandemic

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
PS5 is a beast
I am certain that as we move further into the generation the XSX will more often than not out perform the PS5, but that they are so close is really a testament to Cerny and his vision.

Munstre

Mar 7, 2020
There is an obvious difference in some clothing textures in like for like moments. I'm not sure what you're trying to say here, there's an obvious difference in some scenes. There is no major difference in textures (like the faces) in most scenes.

I literally pointed out there are differences in some places, but not in others. It's a possible bug. Yes, there are obvious differences in what I posted the first time. No there aren't major differences in the face textures in the second comparison.

Why are you acting like pointing out differences in one scene, and no difference in another is some kind of contradiction? 🤣 It is what it is.
You were trying to suggest there is a difference in textures across the board, even doubting the dynamic res. If there was a difference in texture quality, then it would be visible all over the place, but that's not the case. The game clearly has DRS, and it's going to differ from scene to scene.

DanielG123

Jul 14, 2020
Quite odd on the Xbox side, as I consistently get 55-60 fps on average on PC (I am playing at 1080p, mind you), and that's with Valhalla completely maxed out. I'll parrot what several others have said here: This likely comes down to a need of patching, and the dev tools, while not being completely foreign and new, are still new, and that takes time to nail down. I'm sure that after a patch, we'll see much more consistent performance in Valhalla on Series X. The same will likely be said for other titles if the respective devs patch those games also.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
The promise (that it seems to fall short of) was that it would run the game at the same framerate as the XSX but lower res.

I am still perplexed as to why:
  • The framerate is capped at 30fps given the near parity in CPU
  • The load times being slightly longer on S given not only the said point about CPU but also having to load lower resolution assets compared to X. In fact, this result is not just exclusive to ACV.

Oh god, why does this exist...

Hey! I am already 12 mins into it (all over again) and am enjoying it.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Probably worth pulling to some of the key things from that article:

Anyone who's worked on software knows that non-final SDKs are a nightmare for release software. Things don't work correctly, replacement APIs that used to work one way are less performant in the way you used them and need to be utilised in a different way in the new iteration and performance can be lagging behind until after the first SDK patch let alone in the 'final' release.

It's not surprising to see PS5 with it's familiar SDK performing really strong, I'd be surprised if it wasn't this way tbh. Let's see how things are in a year when we're seeing software built on stable SDKs releasing.
Should be threadmark and that's something the DIRT developer wouldn't be allowed to talk about due to a NDA.
The PS5 also has custom hardware for data decompression, which offloads a decent amount of work from the CPU. Everybody with firsthand knowledge on the subject has said the two CPUs are effectively equal but it still gets trotted out as an Xbox advantage time and time again.
Xbox has dedicated compression hardware as well.
Drawing conclusions after one week... I thought this forum was better than the Youtube comments section... I guess not.
Some users are, while others are not.
Here's an article from the official blog where they try to subtly suggest that the competition has to downclock by saying "No downclocking. No boost mode" in a negative connotation, and you can tell it's PS5 they're making a subtle dig towards because of the use of the phrase boost mode, which is what Sony have used in the past
This was about BC and I don't see what's the problem with them talking about their advantage and something they are proud of. Should we criticize Sony for mentioning their SSD? I don't think so.

As for their comment about consistent clocks... Well, perhabs this is a dig. But one based on a decision that has some advantages and of course disadvantages. But you won't hear MS and Sony talk about the disadvantages of their choices. I am sure Cerny didn't talk about the advantages of more CU either.
Hey, if there *are* problems with the SDK, I don't know how you could blame anyone other than MS. I'm not here trying to make excuses for them.
Absolutely. The new SDK is perhabs worthwhile in the long run for their strategy. After all having one SDK for Xbox and PC could be good for their studios as they will have to make PC versions of every game. But short-term it did hurt as we can see here imo.
My point is that many people preferred to listen to these unreliable people instead people who really knows how both software and hardware in these consoles are working. Jason was the first to report for example that Xbox was late, but many didn't believe simply because they showed the box and the concept trailer for Hellblade first
Fair enough and yes some should believe what reliable sources, even though they were wrong in the past say.
Loading times performance is not a good way to judge the disparity between SSD's because we don't have data on the amount of assets these games are actually putting into memory. Anyway, the biggest feature about PS5 SSD is not the fact that you can load scenes at fast pace, it's the fact that you can keep only 1 second of next gameplay sequence on memory.
I know, I know. My point was more in the vein of people simply jumping to conclusions here prematurely. The same could be done for the current SSD performance, but as I said those would be silly claims.
only Microsoft stayed silent and let the games speak instead of trying to FUD the PS5 for months on hardware power even recently with the "full RDNA2" stuff, their (now evidently false)
Your post doesn't make any sense. It's not FUD that Xbox is the only console with full RDNA2 and some worse performing games don't proof this wrong. What a silly thing to even suggest and by the way it would be illegal to make such a false claim for Microsoft.

Munstre

Mar 7, 2020
Why do some people assume that the PS5 is somehow maxed out already, and the Series X is only going to get stronger and inevitably surpass it? I don't think that's how these things work.