• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I think the last rumor was a year ago? Like November 2019?
The codemaster dev did say they moved over most of the tools, but doesn't mean they work the exact same way, or if the workflow is the same or any of that. It's still a new and different dev kit, even if a lot of the tools are the same, doesn't mean it quite works the same if that makes sense?

Yeah, I guess.

Xavisavi

Jun 6, 2020
They are truly the HD twins as were called a while ago. One Face Off (DMC5) was won by Series X and this by PS5.

I think we should all be happy because we all shall enjoy more or less the same experience in multiplatform games

Jan 2, 2018
Surprising results but we all know Assassin's Creed has been pretty terrible in terms of software reliability on any console platform.

I want to see comparisons for next gen versions of Red Dead Redemption, Doom Eternal, Monster Hunter, Destiny 2, and Cyberpunk 2077.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
I think it's kind of funny that some are disappointed with a few drops into the 50 range, when most games were running at 30 last gen, and that's despite a large resolution boost.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
glad they mentioned the VRR on the LG CX, I was starting to think people thought I was lying when I said I didnt have any screen tearing :(

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This is really surprising since Xbox Series X hardware maintains an advantage in probably every aspect outside of SSD Speeds.

What am I missing?

Roarschach

Dec 18, 2018
Honestly I think it's more about how easy it is to develop for each platform more than which console is more powerful.
Seems it's easier to develop for PS5 for now.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
Wow...just an hour ago I replied in the "fanboys" thread and here is a whole bunch of fanboy crap being flung around....I know, "it's a tech comparison" topic, but I don't understand why it has to be such a back and forth, mine is better than yours kind of scenario. Also people are making rational explanations and they are getting shit on by irrational people...

The game is great but has some tech warts on both systems...We should be talking about what the hell is up with the fire in this game or how it's really amazing that the game targets 60fps on console...

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
The maturity of tools....is this how we going to move the goalposts now?
Several people in the know have stated the development tools are behind Sony's so I'm sure there are some "gains" to make from their camp. But it being enough for it to really matter like some people are hoping is something I doubt.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, it was months of nonsense like that ever since the specs were revealed.

Lol These consoles wars are crazy. I do remember Dusk Golem spreading fear like crazy with his RE8 info too. I knew people were acting like PS5 was going to heavily underperform but the narratives that get spun up is mind blowing

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
If this Series S performance becomes the norm going forward it almost feels like the digital PS5 at $399 is the better value in the long run unless you absolutely need to save the $100 (which its target audience might I guess).

It always was a significantly better deal lol

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
Glad to see they are so comparable, and the PS5 even outperforming. This means that with a bit more optimization on the xbox side, these two will be basically equivalent.

Marrz

Oct 27, 2017
SC-Talk-Like-Yoda-Day-promo-small.jpg
Nice one! Great addition!
"And now the circle is complete!"

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
Wow...just an hour ago I replied in the "fanboys" thread and here is a whole bunch of fanboy crap being flung around....I know, "it's a tech comparison" topic, but I don't understand why it has to be such a back and forth, mine is better than yours kind of scenario. Also people are making rational explanations and they are getting shit on by irrational people...

The game is great but has some tech warts on both systems...We should be talking about what the hell is up with the fire in this game or how it's really amazing that the game targets 60fps on console...
I personally played on my one x before my series x came and was blown away by performance when I hooked up my Series X. I hope more games target 60 FPS in the future, while I like pretty graphics I think performance is more important to me this gen.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

People are buying expensive systems. Most don't have the luxury of buying both, and don't want to feel like they spent their money on the wrong one so they sometimes go to no small length to downplay anything that looks bad for their purchasing decision.

Honestly, if I didn't have empathy for people like that, I wouldn't hang out in these threads, but I absolutely do.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Is there a summary of all this somewhere? I was under the impression that they brought over all the old tools to the new Dec environment. That's what the codemaster dev said.

Which particular tools are causing the issue?

The dev kits just being late makes the most sense to me. Do we have a timeline on their deployment?

Lockheart was only added as a profile in June's release, that's a very short time ago in development terms imho. June's release notes apparently also included notes around performance, such as multi-core support, not arriving until after launch with some suggested work arounds.

So I do think we'll see improvements once the GDK is stable, devs have integrated it into their engines and performance profiling has shown where bottlenecks in implementing the new APIs lie.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
This is really surprising since Xbox Series X hardware maintains an advantage in probably every aspect outside of SSD Speeds.

What am I missing?
That Sony hasn't really given any details in their customizations.

for instance, redgamingtech who has been breaking AMD news says his sources are telling him ps5 has unified CPU caches like zen 3 (vs the split pools of zen 2/Xbox) but nobody has varietied it yet and Sony has said nothing.

shanew21

Nov 7, 2017
Indeed, the sample size is still very small. However, if we assume that immature dev tools are causing these performance issues on XSX then we should expect similar performance in other early titles too.

Fully agreed that it is too soon to draw any conclusions but see above for why I think other early titles might exhibit similar performance.
I meant more along the lines of your latter point here. Early titles will likely show a PS5 lead, and as devs get better with the tools it will reverse

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019

What am I missing?

That specs are theoretical maximums, and (the removal of) bottlenecks is crucial.

It seems it is easier to get performance out of the PS5, and I dont buy the tools argument either. Technical Director of Dirt 5 said plainly that Sony's tools are not ahead of MS' GDK, both are 'coming in hot'.

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Man, the tooling stuff must be pretty serious. Hopefully it gets updated\patched\etc somewhat quickly.

The PS5 shouldn't be lapping XSX like this in head to head comparisons.

jesterkap2

Oct 28, 2017
It seems like a lot of people are using this to support their already formed platform war opinions. My prediction is that right now the power argument matters but then later in the generation we will hear that it doesn't when things shake out. I think personally I am a bit underwhelmed by both consoles right now in terms of these third party games. I look forward to games developed with them in mind.

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Could that essentially be driver issues, as weird as that sounds? When I was into PC gaming more, if my driver was old or messed I would get weird issues like that if I remember right.
Speculation is that dev's are still getting to grips with the new tools over in the Xbox ecosystem. It's based on devs saying that they really like how easy it has been to move over to PS5 development since the tools are almost identical, and that isn't the case in MS land... but whether that accounts for some of the weirdness in DMC5 or what we're seeing here is basically speculation at this moment in time.

robinium7

Jul 25, 2020
Ireland
Well MS started that with most powerfull console and there is no game to show that yet.
I know right, why is criticism when a company is not delivering on their marketing considered fanboyism? I got both consoles and expected the Series X to outperform in 3rd party titles based on the most powerful console marketing so I got Valhalla on Series X. I'm a bit disappointed (before anyone comes down on me, read: a BIT, not a lot) about the console not really delivering on its marketing on day one, where it is ranging from practically no advantage to moderate disadvantage between titles.

I totally understand why people who prefer PlayStation would be satisfied with this result though, because there was a lot of BS a while back about how the variable clock speeds are unstable and will mean that the PS5 is actually only 9TF, as Tom Warren even tweeted, which is now proving to be completely false. I don't care which one performs better, I'll buy 3rd party titles on whichever one comes out on top in each game in future.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Assuming this isn't that unusual, I wonder when journos were reporting that devs were saying PS5 was more powerful, if it was based in this kind of stuff - actual performance devs were realising on each. They took a lot of flak when the paper specs came out, but seems that was unwarranted. Can only imagine what relative performance might have been like months ago, when those comments were reported.
Kleegamefan redeemed, for me pretty much. But then he did also say he "had seen the specs", obviously nonsense in hindsight. Andrew Reiner redeemed for sure. Can you imagine the state of "tools" a year+ ago...

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
Game really doesn't seem to be optimized well for either platform but the XsX is really underperforming here.

It's kind of funny after the whole 4k at 60fps & 4k and 60fps debacle in that old thread. Those trying to turn the word "and" into "or" must be feeling pretty stupid right now.

oRuin

Oct 25, 2017
Sony got some hidden tech in that thing. Would love for them to show us the silicon. Maybe one day!

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
Hah this guy obviously has some issues with it. Hard to tell his real opinion when he's trying not to offend MS.
Yes I'm sure that it. Not the fact that he says he had no issues with the new GDK and in fact Microsoft brought over majority of the things they had from the XDK and they perform better on the new GDK.

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
One thing I'll say, devs right now have a nightmare of a time targeting all these systems, and PC. That they're not seemingly tweaking the games to the hardware at all, beyond letting DRS handle things, kind of shows you that the cross gen period really increases demands on them.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks, see *this* is a clear pattern.

I too was really confused by what went on in that 'curtain' room in DMC5.

Right? I understand that people want to jump into conclusions for obvious reasons but there is a clear disparity between what's happening on screen and those frame drops. They don't make sense to me.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Tooling that is late for Xbox Series is the unified platform tooling - i.e. toolchain that will enable to devs to use one build targeting all of the supported platforms -, not the development kit tooling.

It's a nice to have thing that will make devs lives dealing with the ridiculous number of SKUs easier, not vital for development.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I saw that stutter in the cutscenes, I wondered if there was something wrong, as the VRR seemed to be working everywhere else

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019
An actual developer who has worked on both consoles take on it.

Yep earlier in that video he debunks the tools argument by saying 'I wouldn't say so' when questioned on whether Sony's tools are ahead of MS'.

So what I'd like to see is a DF or other analysis of possible hardware bottlenecks in XsX design. Would be very interesting.

May 12, 2020
I think people betting on the dev kit being the solution will be very disappointed; I think this is more on hardware architecture. Quoting numbers is meaningless; it's how the system is integrated with those and uses them that matters. I really don't see dev kits being inefficient to cause the performance disparity we're seeing.