• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
lol, I see my math is off. I'm doing xbox has 23% less frames than ps5.
The baseline here is the 60fps that both should be compared to, your way is the better way to compare the tow in this case.

MS does have the more powerful console. Thats not a lie.
Just because the tools aren't there quite yet and devs are still learning doesn't make that untrue.
Just because someone can win a race with a Honda Civic doesn't means it's a more powerful and faster car than an Audi A6
Not sure what does this have to do with anything in my post. To explain things in your own example, when ever Honda Civic out preform an Audi A6, it would generate more fuzz, is what I was saying.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
Like I said above, the tools argument goes both ways. It's not like while MS tools are maturing PS tools would be stagnating.
The problem with your argument is that the ps5 tools from most reports are very similar to the ps4 tools, thats what they mean by mature. So yeah they be tweaks like there always is but the ms tools are new so devs aren't used to them yet. They're not saying saying that ms tools need to be tweaked which is a whole different thing

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
It's straight up embarrassing honestly and if I were Phil Spencer I'd be livid that it seems a pattern is forming where the less powerful console is performing better.

Great way for the Xbox to become the butt of jokes again like it was early last gen.
Maybe ps5 is not the less powerfull? Unified memory speed. Better io. 17-18% more in rf is meaningless. Ps5 has higher clocks on gpu too. In the end maybe it was many said here. There will be no noticeable difference.

Hitokiri03

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like this is going to be a pretty close generation (until the mid-gen consoles arrive) in terms of performance even after Microsoft improve their tools (witch isn't a bad thing).

and to think MS had the marketing rights for Valhalla, you'd think that give Xbox platform more optimization focus

This is a good thing, it means whatever happens in the market departments don't reach development team.

robinium7

Jul 25, 2020
Ireland
WOW this is actually a very considerable difference, I'm extremely surprised. I know you can say the dev tools are in their infancy etc etc but there is no other way to paint this as an EARLY loss for Microsoft, especially with a similar thing happening in other multiplats which have been tested like Cold War. The Series X should be outperforming the PS5, not achieving parity or mild to moderate underperformance.

If you come out for months shouting world's most powerful console, trying to stir some false information about the variable clock speeds on PS5 being a bad thing and how you're the only console with full RDNA2 support and this is what day one games deliver, you're left with egg on your face as Microsoft.

After getting both consoles and expecting that I'd be buying Multiplatform titles on Series X, this is certainly changing my mind especially where the game has Dualsense support.

one

Nov 30, 2017
There's no point in getting upset now, Xbox Series XX will come to us in 2022.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
With the performance only being noticible if you are an enthusiast, or are looking at actually side to side comparisons, the performance difference today won't really effect them. Gamers will go where their friends are. Where the games are. And where they see the most value.
Gamepass is the reason people would be making the Switch to Xbox, not performance. Performance as always is a bonus.
I have been playing way more Xbox One than PS4 because of GamePass. Graphically speaking... it's worse. But the service is too good.

These results are surprising but they change nothing for me. And they mean nothing to the general public. Sony stays in the lead regardless of FPS and load times. And Sony being in the lead is good for Xbox owners.

Scott Pilgrim

Oct 25, 2020
Not bad at all, as a PS5 owner I thought the XSX would be better for multiplatforms but I guess none saw this coming!

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
With context, most arrived into this generation thinking XSX would have 20~15% power advantage, and MS is still advertising XSX as the most powerful on the market. Even parity would have raised eyes, let alone seeing PS5 advantage.
Yeah it's funny to see it play out like this given the pre-launch talk. Having played AC on my brothers series X I havent really noticed the screen taring at all (shout out my dad's C9).

I guess we can expect the series x to outperform the PS5 later in the generation,

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
I have to wonder if having to work on 2 versions for Series consoles resulted in a split in resources which in turn resulted on less optimized versions for the platform.

Oct 25, 2017
Probably not because it will be running in BC mode and the PS5's BC mode is significantly limited vs SX.

Whilst the tools argument might be valid, how does one of the biggest software companies in the world not have their tools ready in time.
If you've used MS software on a PC, you should be well aware that "they're a software company therefore the software is always good!" is kind of a silly premise. They couldn't even make an app store that works.

To your first point, I think you're right that SX will have a better version of Cyberpunk, but not necessarily because of Sony's different approach to BC. The biggest factor, I think, will be that the One X version will have a higher resolution than the PS4 Pro version. I think they should run at a comparable framerate on both next gen consoles, unless CDP want to aim for higher than 60fps, which is where the PS5's BC weakness lies. And I think that's extremely unlikely.

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
WOW this is actually a very considerable difference, I'm extremely surprised. I know you can say the dev tools are in their infancy etc etc but there is no other way to paint this as an EARLY loss for Microsoft, especially with a similar thing happening in other multiplats which have been tested like Cold War. The Series X should be outperforming the PS5, not achieving parity or mild to moderate underperformance.

If you come out for months shouting world's most powerful console, trying to stir some false information about the variable clock speeds on PS5 being a bad thing and how you're the only console with full RDNA2 support and this is what day one games deliver, you're left with egg on your face as Microsoft.

After getting both consoles and expecting that I'd be buying Multiplatform titles on Series X, this is certainly changing my mind especially where the game has Dualsense support.
EARLY loss... lol. The hot takes in here are as embarassing as they were predictable. Fanboys never change...

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Antagonizing Fellow Member; Platform Warring
Aged like fine milk.

Lg8GVNi.jpg

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PR does wonders. People read the specs and decided to go for the most powerful console before waiting for actual games running on it.

Then they get surprised with results like this:

ZqdbxV5.gif

It's always better to wait for the games running before deciding on where to buy 3rd party games. Reading specs alone is never a good idea.
Neither is making judgements on an entire generation based off of one cross-gen launch title.

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Despite PlayStation's strength I still think gamepass will pull a lot more people over to the XBOX ecosystem this gen, people will forgive performance issues to a degree due to the sheer cost of games vs a gamepass sub.
As a dual console owner I enjoy both and love both so truly trying to be unbiased but I think IF Xbox pulls in new customers it will be people buying in as a secondary console for gamepass (families too)

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Maybe ps5 is not the less powerfull? Unified memory speed. Better io. 17-18% more in rf is meaningless. Ps5 has higher clocks on gpu too. In the end maybe it was many said here. There will be no noticeable difference.

It's not like we haven't seen this before. The Playstation 3 was undoubtably stronger than the 360, and yet the 360 performed better across the board with respect to multi-platform games until a few years into the generation when developers familiarized themselves with the admittedly difficult to develop for console.

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017

EARLY loss... lol. The hot takes in here are as embarassing as they were predictable. Fanboys never change...

robinium7

Jul 25, 2020
Ireland
Yes, EARLY loss, because things can change? This is an early loss because Series X was supposed to deliver superior performance in third party titles from day one? I'm struggling to see why you think I'm a fanboy for expecting my Series X to do better in third parties... I even got Valhalla on Series X instead of PS5 and that's slightly disappointing to me now.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
Luckily I have an LG CX so the tearing has not been an issue but seems Ubisoft and MS has some work to do.

Supoman

Oct 28, 2017
So then I have a question. If you have a VRR enabled TV (like CX), the XSX version is the definitive version since PS5 doesn't support VRR and it will still have tearing?

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's not like we haven't seen this before. The Playstation 3 was undoubtably stronger than the 360, and yet the 360 performed better across the board with respect to multi-platform games until a few years into the generation when developers familiarized themselves with the admittedly difficult to develop for console.
What? How. Early results prove that one console is clearly more powerful than the other!!!!

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
PS5 having higher or more consistent performance across AAA launch titles with very different engines.
That is *not* what we saw with DMC5 or Black Ops Cold War, unless you only focus on performance in the 120hz modes on those games and discount the other modes. We have three games as data points. If they were all the same that'd be one thing. They aren't.

It's still *very* curious that we have situations where the PS5 is over performing XSX given the paper specs, but I really don't think we have enough information to argue that it's a clear pattern.

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
It was expected there would be no difference between the two but to see series X performing so badly is a shock. That tearing and that 20% drop in the scene with the torch were terrible.
It does not do MS any favours with the enthusiast crowd that's for sure.

Last edited:

Adrifi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
the Spanish Basque Country
So...Sony's tools won't mature with time as well as they always do? They will just stagnate?

This one, Watch Dogs, No Man's Sky, etc etc. It's not like this is an isolated case.
And i'm not saying it's just PR. It's just that saying you have the best specs in the end means nothing if the rest doesn't keep up with that.
That's not the thing. While Sony went for an extension to their current tools, Microsoft basically went for a new set of tools, which delayed things and caused development and optimization to be months behind. In a few months these differences will diminish, and that's when we will probably see the Series X outperform PS5 or both consoles having a more similar performance.

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Damn PS5 delivering it seems.Bless thy Mark Cerny. I'm wondering what's going to end up happening to Cyberpunk. Have a feeling PS5 version will be performing the best out of all the consoles. Maybe MS got word that Xbox versions of games weren't performing as well and thus changed their slogan from "Most powerful console" to "Most powerful Xbox"

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
I wonder if higher texel and pixel fill rates that are present on PS5 make more of a difference when we are running at higher framerates?

DjRalford

Dec 14, 2017
As a dual console owner I enjoy both and love both so truly trying to be unbiased but I think IF Xbox pulls in new customers it will be people buying in as a secondary console for gamepass (families too)

Agree, he'll even I bought a series S for my kids, although I do hop on there when they're at school :)

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Aged like fine milk.

In fairness, probably nobody in the year 2020 thought 'developer friendless' or 'dev tools' would rear their head again as a performance-impacting factor. It probably felt reasonable to assume that was a relic of the PS3/360 gen and that it was safe enough to trade things off on paper.

But there you go. Dev tool quality, system software... you may not notice it when it's 'right', but you certainly do when it's not up to par.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
That is *not* what we saw with DMC5 or Black Ops Cold War, unless you only focus on performance in the 120hz modes on those games and discount the other modes. We have three games as data points. If they were all the same that'd be one thing. They aren't.

It's still *very* curious that we have situations where the PS5 is over performing XSX given the paper specs, but I really don't think we have enough information to argue that it's a clear pattern.

It absolutely is. PS5 performance is more consistent with lesser variance. Whether that troubles people is up to them (I think the majority won't notice). But the problem is that XSX should have a clear and tangible performance lead which isn't happening and there are cases with significant inconsistencies in it's performance.

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
Ubisoft really needs to improve overall performance and engine work in the next years. Aside from that, surprised to see an advantage for the PS5, but easier/better tools help a lot, especially in the beginning of a new console cycle.

What's really bad though: Tearing, this shouldn't happen, especially not for next gen versions, Ubisoft really needs to fix this ASAP. Yes, I do have a VRR capable TV (but a PS5 tmrw ^^), but most people don't own a TV with VRR.