• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jasius

Oct 28, 2017
They're the BBC of Video Game tech comparison.(BBC seems pretty good for quality programing, at least from a NA pov). That british guy is the Attenborugh of tech analysis.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
Well deserved thread. I was just watching their RE 2 tech analysis, and it's as good as ever.

Plus, DF Retro is my favourite thing to watch on a Sunday morning.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Digital Foundry are a gift to gaming. They've contributed greatly in our collective understanding of the technology behind the medium, and with it, they have engendered and improved our appreciation of the craftsmanship, artistry and processes involved in it.

Everyone involved is so knowledgeable and passionate about the topic. I'm really happy Alex joined their team since he brings a nuance to the analysis that's truly impressive.

And a special shoutout to Dark1x. He has a gift for editing and narrative. DF Retro is probably my favorite gaming-related content on YouTube. There's nothing like waking up on a Sunday morning to a fresh DF Retro Episode.

Nov 8, 2017
Dark1x Do you intend to do any more retros on old Bond games? A friend and I have been playing every 007 game from 1997 onwards and having a lot of fun (despite some of them being really awful lol).

IMBCIT

Oct 27, 2017
Well god damn, this is a very unexpected and nice thread. I always feel like the videos aren't really that good but I'm thrilled that people do enjoy them since they're usually just me talking about things I'm passionate about! Appreciate all the nice comments everyone. I'm sure all of us at DF do too.

This is part of the reason that I enjoy the videos, especially yours, is that I can tell that you do have a true passion for games and technology and as someone who loves seeing the evolution of technology in games it really strikes me as genuine and brings me back to watch every video posted on the channel.

I would really love for you to get the chance to shadow some devs creating a a game from start to finish and put together a documentary of sorts of how the game came together from a technological standpoint. Being able to see the hurdles that devs face and innovations they are pursuing to push games to the next level would be awesome to see from someone with your passion for the subject.

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
Don't watch much YouTube at all, but i do enjoy df.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
The DF team are one of the very few people in the industry that I consider as gaming journalists. The investigation work, the documented work, it's just an insane amount of precise informations brought to the mass for free.

Not only it's interesting to know how a game might run, there's a lot more under it and is actually often a really informative content about graphics technology and how games work.

I really enjoy watching them, the editing and the voices too. They are actually the only video game related podcast/video content I watch.
(Also DF Retro is amazing).

YourBuddy

Oct 27, 2017
I love their stuff but one of my recent favorites is the video series John did on water in video games. Really stellar work!

HommePomme

Oct 30, 2017
Digital Foundry does absolutely essential work for anyone interested in the state of video game graphics and technology. Rarely do they misstep with their videos and I'll often read their articles despite not giving a shit about the particular game.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
I really appreciate what these guys do but sometimes it's all a bit too doom and gloom.

The time they must take to individually inspect each frame, to stop and analyse each scene, to measure and count each step, to zoom and assess clarity, to focus and examine reflections...the list goes on. I really appreciate all that hard work. However, I don't understand why they beat down so much on games that aren't 60fps i.e. are designed to be 30fps, games that can't absolutely stick to 60fps or are not at least 1440p. It's clinically tiresome. Comment on it by giving a little more perspective and leave it at that.

Watching the latest Resident Evil 2 Remake video they point out a difference in reflections between the XBOX ONE X and PlayStation 4 Pro versions. Most won't notice or care. What's the point? Moreover it's completely irrelevant in context to the game. Can anyone honestly say that subtle difference between versions matter?

How many of the greatest games ever made are completely stable, don't have image quality issues and are of suspect resolution? Probably the overwhelming majority of them, right! That would be a great video series...a breakdown of the best Game of the Year for the last 15 years or so to determine how each has used technology to benefit and influence the industry.

I guess the bottom line is I would like Digital Foundry to keep doing what they are doing, their work is valuable to a good portion of this community for instance, but try and make it a little more personable. Softer in tone. Not so clinical. Dark1x, my favourite member of the team, works really hard to personalise content (DF Retro is a great example of his core abilities as a presenter and editor and the recent Ace Combat video is an extremely good example of top-tier work) but I just wish the rest of the team would follow his example and give a little more wiggle room. If only because some of the greatest games ever developed are not technically perfect.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
I really appreciate what these guys do but sometimes it's all a bit too doom and gloom.

The time they must take to individually inspect each frame, to stop and analyse each scene, to measure and count each step, to zoom and assess clarity, to focus and examine reflections...the list goes on. I really appreciate all that hard work. However, I don't understand why they beat down so much on games that aren't 60fps i.e. are designed to be 30fps, games that can't absolutely stick to 60fps or are not at least 1440p. It's clinically tiresome. Comment on it by giving a little more perspective and leave it at that.

Watching the latest Resident Evil 2 Remake video they point out a difference in reflections between the XBOX ONE X and PlayStation 4 Pro versions. Most won't notice or care. What's the point? Moreover it's completely irrelevant in context to the game. Can anyone honestly say that subtle difference between versions matter?

How many of the greatest games ever made are completely stable, don't have image quality issues and are of suspect resolution? Probably the overwhelming majority of them, right! That would be a great video series...a breakdown of the best Game of the Year for the last 15 years or so to determine how each has used technology to benefit and influence the industry.

I guess the bottom line is I would like Digital Foundry to keep doing what they are doing, their work is valuable to a good portion of this community for instance, but try and make it a little more personable. Softer in tone. Not so clinical. Dark1x, my favourite member of the team, works really hard to personalise content (DF Retro is a great example of his core abilities as a presenter and editor and the recent Ace Combat video is an extremely good example of top-tier work) but I just wish the rest of the team would follow his example and give a little more wiggle room. If only because some of the greatest games ever developed are not technically perfect.

Are you somehow suggesting that a channel dedicated to comparison of the technical side of games should go 'ehhh they're mostly the same, happy gaming!'?

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Any chance we can get an update to the DQXI analysis with the improved western PS4 and PC releases? Or maybe wait for the Switch version for a 5+ way comparison (3DS, PS4 JP, PS4 west, PC, Switch)?

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
One of the rare people/groups I supports on Patreon.

They are amazing and made me appreciate games more

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I've been watching a lot more DF recentl within the past year or so, mostly started up once I started researching new PC builds. They've really come a long way since the beginning of the generation. Plus stuff like DF Retro is some of the best gaming content on YouTube; it's full of history, technical knowledge and fun.

I just wish they did more PC-focused videos again like the "4K on a Budget" series. I know PC gaming content is a dime-a-dozen on YouTube and others like Linus, Jayz, GamersNexus, and others dominate that sphere, but I'm a fan of how DF does it. I especially like how their benchmark testing setup is extremely consistent and that they focus on using games instead of tools like Cinebench or 3DMark. They use the same games with the same exact scenes, which they use for years, so it gives a sense of how much better newer hardware is in a practical sense.

But I understand why they do more console performance content instead. I believe DF is the biggest channel for that niche, so it makes sense. Im not as invested in the console benchmarking content, but it's interesting to watch nonetheless.

Oh and I wish Richard did more videos. He hasn't been in as many recently it seems like? But he's probably busy elsewhere I assume.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I wish there was a Digital Foundry style channel that did analysis of the sound design and mixing of videogames.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Definitely love their stuff. As someone who cares about the tech behind games, they provide coverage no one else does, and in great quality.

Robspassion

Jan 10, 2019
The short look into Quake 2 Path Tracing was also very entertaining and fun. I´m really happy to see them focusing more and more also on PC topics. I absolutely loved the video Alex put out about reshade. Totally missed out some of the possibilities. He also helped me overcoming my fear of motion blur when playing on a monitor with his geat tech focus video.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
Are you somehow suggesting that a channel dedicated to comparison of the technical side of games should go 'ehhh they're mostly the same, happy gaming!'?
Not at all.

Pointing out differences is a standard requirement but sometimes differences are pretty irrelevant. Sometimes labouring over a couple of dropped frames here and there is too much. Just comment on it, express how the games feels and move on. If there's a clear divide between fluidity and not so playable then yeah, labour it.

One channel I watch is really expressive and tells it like it is, for example 'there are a few dropped frames here and there but nothing that distracts from the core gameplay'. Job done. Whereas if something is up it's clearly demonstrated.

Half the time, half-rate equals half a game. Probably because it's running at 30fps! There's times analytics get in the way of a great game.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Are they not going to make a Catherine PC port video?

OP
OP
Psychotron

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
TheDutchSlayer made a very kind thread for DF member John today. So I figured I'd bump this bad boy back to the front as well and give DF even more positive exposure.

The latest DF Retro from John is absolutely incredible and I highly recommend you all watch it.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if this has been asked before, or you said elsewhere.

Dark1x if you don't mind me asking. What hardware (capture card) and software do you use for capturing console footage.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
I'm just glad to see Richard Leadbetter is still around after Mean Machines and Sega Saturn Magazine, two of my favourite magazines of the 90s.

Sep 12, 2018

One of my favorite videos on YouTube and was a big step in my decision to buy a Gamecube with Resident Evil 2 and 3. :)

Remember wanting em to cover the N64 version for a while too, pure wizardry that makes some of the wildest Switch ports seem easy.

OP
OP
Psychotron

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's time for a bump on this thread. John Dark1x seems a bit bummed on Twitter so it might be time to remind him why all of his hard work is worth it.

This deep dive on The Surge 2 is excellent, and it's something I'd really like to see happen more often. John's analysis of The Surge sold me on the game more than any review I had watched, save for Karak ACG's. So although this one is "sponsored", you can always trust John Linneman to give an honest, in depth look. I'm currently closing in on the end of Surge 2, and although I've had a few frustrations, it's a really incredible game with that Dark Souls quality map design.

This video on the ray tracing implementation in Control by Dictator is mind blowing. Up until now I could see how ray tracing improved some games, but this video took it to another level. He literally explains what every setting does and shows you the change in visuals. I'm not even a PC gamer and I love watching Alex's videos.

So yeah, another other recent favorites from the group?

Last edited:

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I've been binge watching DF content and came across their PS3 and X360 E3 shows and I loved them. I hope they do the same for PS4 and XB1 reveal E3 shows.