• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I'm a big fan. My favorites are the Mighty No. 9 video and the GT Sport vs Forza Motorsport 7 video.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
I remember when Digital Foundry first came about on Eurogamer and thinking it was exactly what I was looking for because I've always just wanted the most technically competent version of any multiplatform game and here was detailed technical breakdown and unbiased view of exactly what I needed. In fact they have taught me a lot about the tech in games and how these elements all interact with each other. I honestly don't think the industry would be the same without Digital Foundry. As a side note I also used to love the C&VG magazines back in the day, so these guys have been a part of my gaming almost since the beginning of my hobby. Great work guys, can't say thank you enough for all the things you have done. Loving the new discussions with Alex and Jon, you guys really seem to get along well together and hoping you guys have more joint discussions for future projects.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
I love their stuff, and this thread is great - both to let them know they're appreciated, and for me to find people's favorite videos that I've missed! :)

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't know know there was a backlash on DF for resident evil 2. I did click on the video this morning since I love their content, but I soon realized it was definitely way more spoilery then usual. All their analysis of games have contained spoilers to some degree, but John started discussing how the levels went and how the game is structured. I quickly closed to the video. I think John got a bit carried away since he was also comparing it to the original release. Regardless, it doesn't affect what I think of DF. The only thing John could do is be more mindful next time(John is my favorite DF guy by the way :-)).

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
If you guys have an hour to kill and want an overload of nostalgie, watch the DF commentary over Sony's E3 2005 (PS3 reveal) keynote.

Well worth it.

BTails

Oct 26, 2017
Jumping onto the bandwagon as well, Digital Foundry, and particularly DF Retro, is probably my favourite channel on youtube, and one of the 5 or so I actually subscribe to. The love and care John puts into his videos is unreal, and his passion is infectious: even games I have zero interest in make for amazing videos.

Probably my favourite DF memory is the Sunday morning the Half-Life DF Retro video went live. I had just woken up and grabbed my toddler from her room, and she actually just played in bed with my wife without fussing while I lay there, getting nostalgic for the days of HL and the countless hours I put into the modding community back then.

bender

Oct 27, 2017
I love Digital Foundry. John's content is treat.

I recently "finished" playing through EDF5. The game is such a technical mess and I keep hoping we see John cover the game akin to Lichdom. Whatever texture or effect they use when you destroy a teleporter breaks my brain.

Argus

Oct 27, 2017
They are among my favorite creators.

I think people forget the dark ages pre Digital Foundry and how impossible it was to get good tech analysis. Asking how a game performs and being told it "runs fine" only to find massive screen tearing and other issues. They are also quite unique in getting true information out there, and never falling to "angry gamer" style bashing of devs. Anyone that can find the good in the switch port of ARK is a saint!

The DFRetro in particular is like getting to experience the magic of these inventive and charmingly flawed games that pushed boundaries, and used clever tricks to make something special.

VodkaFX

May 31, 2018
I really love the content that DF is putting out, I have learnt many things from their videos (pixel counting, graphical settings etc), the retro series are awesome and packed with tons of information as well.

Keep it up!

Last edited:

Rolodzeo

Nov 10, 2017
Spain, EU
I just want to thank John, Rich, Alex and Tom (and Dave) for the amount of incredible content they produce. They are a really talented squad, and always put a smile on my face when they upload a new video.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I love DF although it does have a toxic part of its fanbase on YouTube particularly. Especially when it comes to the whole "my plastic box is better than yours" and the PC elitists that just tend to be just as unpleasant.

Personally I'm fascinated just regards the technical aspects of things and seeing what subtle unseen differences are there, what nips and tucks are made to get it working. And I enjoy the present surpises when something works better than what the team expects on weaker hardware.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, what they do is very professional, surprisingly fun to watch despite the highly technical elements, and very useful for someone like me who does reviews. Since a lot of devs intentionally mud the water by confusing upscaled 4K, native 4K, locked 60fps or fps up to 60, etc. it's hard as hell for someone without the technical abilities to write about the technical aspects of the game. DF is a lifesaver in that they provide precise and useful info. Their ARK Switch video is truly something for example. I could have used DF some years ago when I was at a review event for a game, where the devs claimed the game has the same resolution on X1 as it does on PS4, so I trusted their words and wrote their claim in. Release day arrived, embargo lifted and it turned that was false. Stuff like that is why I love DF.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
My favourite channel on YouTube. Absolute gold - and DF Retro is extremely high quality. These are vital gaming documentaries that will be remembered and consumed decades into the future.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Digital Foundry do a great job of providing the technical details of game, which is very handy and I love the DF Retro videos too, full of great info and brings back some awesome memories.

Thanks Dark1x, Dictator, Richard, Tom and Dave (whatever you are doing now)

Same for NXGamer too, especially as his work sadly goes under the radar compared to DF.

Deepo

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
DigitalFoundry is the best thing on my Youtube subscription list by far. They are of immense help if you play games on multiple platforms. The videos are usually well produced and entertaining as well.

Jan 21, 2019
There is a point to be made about such a "technical analysis" showing story spoilers for a game that wasn't released. I love DF to death, my favorite Youtube content next to NakeyJakey, but I can't watch the video because I don't want the game to be spoiled.

However, I don't condone attacking them over it. I am sure I will love the video as soon as I am able to watch it. I love these comparison videos of old and new versions. I'm grateful that John and Crew are always delivering awesome content.

Really the best channel on YouTube and I watch their videos up and down, over and over again.

Last edited:

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I especially love the DF Retro content. A lot of these videos i'll revisit and are among YouTube's best. It's content that will stand the test of time, where as quite a bit of video content produced tends to be forgotten. It's all just such fantastic work.

Oct 27, 2017
I adore DF and have done for years.

I was out for a drink with a work colleague recently and we got talking about games. He told me loves DF and especially "the retro series with the American dude."

So there you go. John's fanbase is widespread!

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Love the retro stuff. Where they excel IMO.

Got some gripes with some of their other stuff. But overall pretty good still, the comment section though.. yikes :P

chechi

Dec 3, 2018
Started watching because of the retro-specials, stayed for the great content. Always looking forward to the next video from DF. An important und educational channel for the gaming community.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I love every video they do, they're really entertaining.

But what makes me love them even more is that they have teached me things about this media, that I love so much, in a detailed and caring way.

mocolostrocolos

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wish they made deeper analysis in games where postgame increase heavily the load of elements in screen, like D3.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Love everything about DF and DF Retro but Im gonna have to point out the voice of the new guy. I can't stand listening to him and unfortunately have to skip those videos, he's very quiet and talks really fast at times to the point I can't understand him. Whereas the others speak clearly, relaxed almost in a soothing way, he raises my stress levels. If he changed his intonation and cadence I might be able to watch him.

Lazlow

Oct 27, 2017
Love the work they do and especially the DF Retro content, the water feature Dark1x did was such great content.

The backlash John was getting in the RE2 thread/youtube comments is fucking embarrassing and completely unnecessary; I hope it doesn't destroy his will to keep pumping out this great content.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Well god damn, this is a very unexpected and nice thread. I always feel like the videos aren't really that good but I'm thrilled that people do enjoy them since they're usually just me talking about things I'm passionate about! Appreciate all the nice comments everyone. I'm sure all of us at DF do too.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
While it's kinda sad that their work is all too often used to fuel console wars, they're doing a much needed job. I pretty much always check their analysis before buying, if only to know what I'm getting into performance wise.

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I love DF, hell I watch videos for games I'm not planning on buying anyway just for the analysis of the performance of certain engines on specific platforms, and I'd have to say sometimes they push me over the edge, wasn't planning on buying AC:7 till I watched the video.
Now DF retro is unquestionably awesome and something I'll watch the minute it's out. Really appreciate all the content all of the team makes!

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
Love DF so much.

But God damn can the do a MCC video? Huge game, huge post release XB1X support, awesome analysis opportunity and nothing.

I feel like we should give attention to this. Especially given so many other titles that have gotten videos, or even mutliple videos.

OP
OP
Psychotron

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Well god damn, this is a very unexpected and nice thread. I always feel like the videos aren't really that good but I'm thrilled that people do enjoy them since they're usually just me talking about things I'm passionate about! Appreciate all the nice comments everyone. I'm sure all of us at DF do too.

We love your work, it's just that online the negative posters are sometimes the most active. The vast majority of us enjoy and depend on your work. This is a chance for us to make it known.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Love DF so much.

But God damn can the do a MCC video? Huge game, huge post release XB1X support, awesome analysis opportunity and nothing.

I feel like we should give attention to this. Especially given so many other titles that have gotten videos, or even mutliple videos.
Oh yeah, that's right. The patch hit during a very very busy time that didn't really let up so we never had a chance to cover it.

I still want to do something on it.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Whenever a reviews embargo lifts, I look forward to DF tech video more than actual reviews. Thanks for all the amazing work Dark1x

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Digital Foundry videos are my go to whenever I want to know how well a game was implemented or which technologies it uses.
Thank you for everything guys!