• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's wise to remind ourselves that the things we say on forums or YouTube comments have a real world impact on content creators.

For years, Digital Foundry has provided all of us with deep looks at some of our favorite games. Our very own Dark1x and his DF retro videos provide content that you simply can't find anywhere else. I say we take this opportunity to post and discuss our favorites from the team at DF. Let's give some credit where it's due!

I'll start with one of my favorites....LICHDOM BATTLEMAGE!!!

Also, the absolutely incredible DF Retro: Tetris

Thank you for everything you do, Dark1x , Dictator , Tom, Richard and Dave (for your past contributions). You guys are the best!

To support the channel and get high quality 4K downloads, visit https://www.patreon.com/digitalfoundry

Last edited:

Uncle Sensei

Oct 25, 2017
Dark's videos are some of my favorite on YT, especially the DF Retro videos. Dude's got maaaaaaaad talent

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
Nice thread considering the RE2 one. I adore DF and truly appreciate the ridiculous amount of hard work and effort going into each analysis.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
DF Retro is one of my favourite YT series. I do enjoy seeing modern performance tests, but seeing just what was able to be squeezed out of older hardware is even more impressive to me!

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DF is amazing and DF Retro is an amazing series. If you've never watched them all you should start.

Fantastic work and I've been watching since the very beginning. It's become such an amazing achievement.

Thanks to the amazing team!

DreamVsPS2

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Dec 24, 2018
Easy Allies and DF are the only two companies I support on Patreon

Nov 3, 2017
I have been living for their E3 revisits. It's great to watch. Their Nintendo Switch analyses are also something I look forward to!

Oct 27, 2017
DF Retro has easily become my favorite youtube series. It's so well made, informative, and entertaining all at the same time.

Not to ignore the rest of DF though. I love the tech analysis stuff so much. I'll watch videos for games I'm not even interested in.

wiiucollector

Aug 5, 2018
Germany
I've had such a U-turn on this channel. When I didn't know any better, I used to call them "digital suck the fun dry" because I'm hilarious(ly stupid). However, now I will even watch the videos on games I don't actually care for as it contextualizes the "era" we're in and does make you appreciate the effort both from software/hardware developers and also from themselves as their work simultaneously speaks for itself. I still can't spot frame tears, which probably explains why I was initially somewhat baffled by this framerate fetish malarky as I once dismissed it as. Keep up the good work guys.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017

As someone who grew up with the series, this look back at CE actually made me a little emotional, and that's all thanks to the amazing work that John does with these videos

Soulstoner

Oct 27, 2017
Jumping in on this thread to express my appreciation for what DF and their dedicated staff do for the gaming community. I'm sure not all videos are the most fun to research and create (much like any job), but they are always appreciated. Thank you DF staff!

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
DF Retro is one of my favorite things ever. I am not someone who cares much about resolution and framerate, but I really appreciate the effort they put in their videos.

Oct 27, 2017
If anything, Digital Foundry is highly underappreciated. Guys - you do absolutely amazing work. Your true fans highly value the work that you do and truly appreciate it. Please don't forget that.

dark10x - please ignore the haters and trolls. They don't deserve you guys. They're self entitled a$$*****. I especially loved your video on your favorite games of 2018. Keep up the good work and I hope you keep doing what you do, as your passion, knowledge, dedication, and enthusiasm clearly comes across in all of your videos. Oh, and DF Retro is absolutely amazing. Some of the best stuff around.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
I love DF. One of my top channels in YouTube and one of the very few I proudly subscribe to.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yup, thank you John for producing some of the best enthusiast videos on the web, thanks Alex for running down specific component/setting configs on PC in your videos, and thank you to everyone on staff to just making both the artistry on display in some games and consumer conscious about game performance that much more accessible!

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
John is my favorite. Gonna be honest here and say I probably wouldn't enjoy DF that much if John wasn't in there. The DF Retro series is amazing. But I like all the DF staff, truly appreciate what you guys do.

OP
OP
Psychotron

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
As someone that played maybe ten minutes of the original, this video made me absolutely have to buy the remake. I loved every minute of that masterpiece.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
I love how informative the DF videos are. I never really understood the different graphics settings when I switched to PC gaming, and thanks to the DF channel I know more about the different technologies that go into a game to make it look awesome. It makes me appreciate the work that goes into making games look the way they do, and in turn appreciate the artists and coders that work on games. It's easy to forget that our favorite games are made by real people, and I think DF does a good job reminding you

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica

As someone who grew up with the series, this look back at CE actually made me a little emotional, and that's all thanks to the amazing work that John does with these videos

I have seen this video 20 or more times in the past 2 years. I actually spent hours switching back and forth from my original Phat Xbox and my PC after spending days restoring 95% of the missing effects in Halo 1 PC version.

There were big breakthroughs last year on this. Funnily enough, post from John and Alex in different time-frames helped me to achieve the unachievable: Play Halo 1 PC with MOST effects just like in the Xbox version.

treble

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some of the best gaming content on the net. I look forward to watching videos for games I have interest in, that's how good the works is!

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My absolute favorite youtube channel for years now. Incredible work by the entire time, and John's retro series.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
It can't be a DF thread without mentioning the AH-FREAKING-MAZING Silent Hill 2 DF Retro.

curtismyhero

Aug 29, 2018
Some of the best content creators to date! Absolutely love the material they put out, with a personal favorite being the retro series.

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR
DF is at the very very top of my favourite YT channels.

Every single thing they do is brilliant, in every single way! <3

digital-foundry-retro-water-rendering-games.png

AlternateAir

Oct 27, 2017
DF Retro is just fantastic stuff!

But, to be honest, the best compliment I can give John and the team over there is that I'll watch videos they put out that I'm not even that interested in at first glance. Ace Combat 7? Really had no interest, but always curious to hear and see what the guys have to say. Random review of a new graphics card? Sure why not!

The passion everyone brings to the table makes almost every video they produce worth watching even if it's not something that would normally grab me.

One of my favorite YouTube channels by a mile

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think a severely underappreciated aspect is the great editing that DF does in their videos. There is so much content on youtube that has good information but is poorly put together whereas it feels like DF (especially John's videos) feel extremely well put together

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Digital Foundry is my favorite YouTube channel by far - such in-depth, consistent content. I'd encourage anyone who enjoys their stuff to support them via Patreon! I just joined last month and you get access to high quality encoded videos instead of the bullshit encoding YouTube uses.

OP
OP
Psychotron

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I think a severely underappreciated aspect is the great editing that DF does in their videos. There is so much content on youtube that has good information but is poorly put together whereas it feels like DF (especially John's videos) feel extremely well put together

Great point. I honestly have been spoiled by the high production value he puts into his videos. The intros alone...

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Without places like DF we'd be screwed with the "Pro" consoles because the developers themselves do a horrendous job of informing us what the resolution and frame rate their games actually run at.

xylo

Oct 27, 2017
DF is the only youtube channel I check every few days to watch content. I really like it.

DF Retro is pretty much the best of the channel -- it's just amazing about of love goes into those videos. DF Retro is pure gaming passion and love for gaming in general distilled into a youtube video. I can't praise it enough.

I think the biggest thing holding it back is needing a editor for some videos (sorry Alex :) I think you may need the editor the most) just to prevent some... "frivolous" content rambling. I'm not too wild about DF Retro Extras (say the last two) which are mostly a video podcast -- I think this is probably just a personal taste thing really, not that it's bad overall. I do love that they are trying new thinks like the Retro Extras so I definitely don't want them to not stop experiementing (which is yet another really positive thing about DF and why they are so good.) Great examples for trying new stuff was splitting RDR2 into a Console Warring and Tech Overview videos to keep the point of the videos focused (and solves some of the content rambling.)

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
Watching the DF analysis is an essential step before deciding which copy to purchase, the best tech channel by far

I usually don't care for the tech details but the way DF present it is enjoyable and brilliant + DF Retro is a blast

Keep it up Dark1x and guys and don't mind the internet trolls.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Love the channel, a lot. My only constructive criticism, perhaps, is that they need to work a little more on their visual design, to make it more standardised across the board. Things like a default "visual comparison design" when comparing versions of the same game, standardised footnotes, FPS counters, video titles, more striking (but not clickbaity) thumbnails, etc. DF has been basically the same visually speaking for a few years now and every once in a while a new visual design choice brings good things. Even lost a few hours a few weeks ago with some ideas but never had the balls to touch base with anybody from DF to talk about it.