• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
  • Visual parity save for some LODs.
  • 1800p checkerboarding seems to be on all 3 platforms but requires more investigation by DF, including PC.
  • Pro runs slightly better than X in like comparisons, including during missions and combat.

This is a quite unexpected turn of events. Visual parity and the Pro still runs better. I think this is the first multi-plat game which has done that.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
I really really dislike the look of frostbite games. They all end up looking the same in many ways. Environments especially.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I really really dislike the look of frostbite games. They all end up looking the same in many ways. Environments especially.
I thought the tiniest bit about this while making this video - and think this what you might be seeing is as a result of the sharpening filter with the TAA. I do not like that they started making it post-sharpened around battlefront 2 times I think it was.

It does give surfaces a certain... look alright.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
wow the 1080p mode on ps4pro has been a real lifesaver lately

RDR2
Kingdom Hearts 3
and now Anthem

All run WAY better with 1080p forced from OS. The framerate gain is also quite large in very case

because these consoles are severely underpowered to push 4K, even checkerboarded....would have been better to just stay at 1080p for the rest of this gen

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
  • 1800p checkerboarding seems to be on all 3 platforms but requires more investigation by DF, including PC.
  • Pro runs slightly better than X in like comparisons, including during missions and combat.

This is a quite unexpected turn of events. Visual parity and the Pro still runs better. I think this is the first multi-plat game which has done that.
No. Happens also with Ace Combat 7. Same res, performs better on pro.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
This is wild.

Does it have to do with the checkerboarding? Dictator I am not up to weeds, but doesn't the PS4 Pro have something physical in the system that handles checkerboarding?

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
They need to improve the FPS for launch, no doubt. It needs to stay at 30.
A locked 30 would be ideal, but if there's performance improvements in the released game (we know there are from what they said, but let's wait until we have it installed and play) then I'm tempted to give that Pro 1080P version a crack. If it sits at or near 60 it could be worth the trade off, just as long as it doesn't end up in the 40s and low 50s, that's where a locked 30 would be the way to go. If they can patch up a similar X mode, even better.

Feeroper

Oct 25, 2017
I fully expect that the final build will have the X pull ahead of Pro. Thankfully I will have EA access for an early dip when the game launches to see if any meaningful improvements are made.

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The part where they compared the Pro and One X res shows the One X with sharper textures leading me to believe that either the One X's res doesn't move as much as it needs to, or it has better AF.

Or maybe I'm overthinking it and it is a LOD issue! The higher memory bandwidth on the One X could also be the reason I suppose!

DNBSxDE.png

Last edited:

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
User banned (5 days): peddling insulting conspiracy theories towards another member + history of infractions for antagonistic behaviour
Unless he's seeing something DF a professional outlet with plenty of people aren't seeing

DF is pushing the pro 'twist' lately to gain clicks it seems. I'm surprised they didn't go for another " how does it compare? The results may shock you!" Tabloid headline again.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
The part where they compared the Pro and One X res shows the One X with sharper textures leading me to believe that either the One X's res doesn't move as much as it needs to, or it has better AF.

Or maybe I'm overthinking it and it is a LOD issue! The higher memory bandwidth on the One X could be the reason I suppose!

DNBSxDE.png
It wouldn't be AF given that this surface is face on to the camera, and AF won't make a difference there. This is either a streaming issue, or the Pro has a lower resolution texture for this asset. Looking at the metal veins on the lower part seems to suggest that it isn't a difference in rendering resolution either, as those look equally sharp and smooth to my eyes.

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
DF is pushing the pro 'twist' lately to gain clicks it seems. I'm surprised they didn't go for another " how does it compare? The results may shock you!" Tabloid headline again.
Hah. Not at all. We are quite reasonable people, I assure you.

If it happens that way, we report on it of course and frame the discussion around it in a video as it is not exactly expected or usual.

Now apologize Bjones.....lol

Switch

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wales
User Banned (2 Weeks): Consistent history of system warring and numerous accumulated infractions

Or Anthem plays best at 51 fps LOL

Still, Even DF have to pander to the PS generation for their Youtube clicks, no doubt after they praised Red Dead II on the One X a little too much, they not need to try and dish out some One X knocking. I expect it off most of the Eurogamer team, but I'm surprised at Rich going to such a level. Still, he experienced similar levels of negative feedback, when the brilliant Maximum magazine didn't pander to the PS generation and talked up systems like the Saturn, at a huge cost to the readership numbers.

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah it's quite sad really. But it's a demo I guess. Things can change, things should change. When we have tons of multiplatform games that definitely have a clear edge on X, such as RDR2, there's no reason for this nonsense.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Don't they have some Xbox marketing deal in place? One would hope that would be an incentive.
Sony had the marketing deal with RDR2 but we all know how that turned out.

This is a shockingly poor result on all platforms though, and no excuse with the X given the more powerful GPU, CPU and not to mention additional RAM which could be used to reduce loading. We see even indie games like QUBE 2 with a massive visual difference on X over the Pro, so it's not like there can be too much work to make use of the additional power.

I'll be giving Anthem a miss unless they can improve performance to a locked frame-rate on Pro or X, and at higher than 1080p.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Good lawd devs needs to stop forcing their garbage-ass pseudo-4K resolutions on us at the expense of framerate.
This.

I was just starting to enjoy playing some games on console in the living room but seeing performance like this is pushing me back upstairs to the PC desk again.

I know they'll optimize it further but it's still a bad look for console gaming in general.

Next gen can't come soon enough.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
I wish dev's would stop being so incompetent when it comes to optimizing.

How a machine more powerful runs worse and looks the same is just fucking inexcusably embarrasing.

Then again, this is par for the course with Bioware lately.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
This.

I was just starting to enjoy playing some games on console in the living room but seeing performance like this is pushing me back upstairs to the PC desk again.

I know they'll optimize it further but it's still a bad look for console gaming in general.

Next gen can't come soon enough.
Next gen is the one where framerate finally gets priority over graphics. Wait, I thought that's what we said last time?

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I wish dev's would stop being so incompetent when it comes to optimizing.

How a machine more powerful runs worse and looks the same is just fucking inexcusably embarrasing.

Then again, this is par for the course with Bioware lately.

Its a demo. At some point they need to branch off a build a while back. Could be that the Pro version was abit further with optimization.
Overall most optimization happens very late. So its only fair to wait for the final release.

OP
OP
Vexii

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
I thought the tiniest bit about this while making this video - and think this what you might be seeing is as a result of the sharpening filter with the TAA. I do not like that they started making it post-sharpened around battlefront 2 times I think it was.

What surprises me about this type of opinion is that I thought that Battlefront 1 looked positively filmic. It was a stunning game, especially in the snow. From there I felt like the visual quality didn't dip, but it certainly changed somewhat in subsequent games... More game-y and less film-y. Not at all sure what it is or if you even agree.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Its a demo. At some point they need to branch off a build a while back. Could be that the Pro version was abit further with optimization.
Overall most optimization happens very late. So its only fair to wait for the final release.

Your reply is surprisingly polite - I'm impressed! The one in my head was less so ;-)

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I think there's such a good foundation there and I'm sad it's not turning out like I was hoping. This game could use to wait until next "generation" of consoles, I can't see it carrying any momentum from this generation to the next though if it releases in a bad state.

Duderino

Nov 2, 2017
The checkerboarding thing on PC - yeah we are not exactly sure what is happening there so I am going to be extra cautious. TAA or MB resolve could be completely broken or something, we will look into it in final product. It is hard to say, we may be misseeing it or misattributing so I think we want to be careful here.

I asked around about it around e3 last year and got answers about it that said it could be that or something else entirely, sooooooooooooooo.

There was a Mass Effect Anromeda/ Battlefield presentation that talked about the use of the Pro's ID buffer for checkerboarding that also alluded to future work on developing a software side alternative for other platforms. My memory might be failing me, but I do believe that included the base Xbox and PS4. Could have also extended to PC? Or maybe they are experimenting with something differently, idk.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Sony's dual mode strategy for 1080p and higher resolutions seem to be helping Pro out recently, what with this game and KH3 getting to 60fps, and it seems no input neccesary from devs either

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
Really hope the final game is much better than this.
No buy if there is a parity between consoles.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
The performance is really a mess which is just the cherry on top of the shit sundae that will keep me away from the game at launch. I almost feel like I'm doing something wrong for not supporting Bioware but here we are.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Wow this is a very odd turnout, it'll be interesting to see how the final game shapes up. Eurogamer's latest article on the endgame content mentions the build had no performance issues as seen in the demo.

An unlocked framerate 1080p option for launch would be a welcome addition Bioware.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
wow the 1080p mode on ps4pro has been a real lifesaver lately

RDR2
Kingdom Hearts 3
and now Anthem

All run WAY better with 1080p forced from OS. The framerate gain is also quite large in very case

The playstation pro is the True 1080p console of the generation!

Hyperbole, but honestly it's pretty damning that a console that was pegged as a mid gen console for 4k TV's (and is advertised as much by Sony) is better at 1080P.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN

You hit exactly on what I'm seeing.

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, this has confirmed me not buying. The performance on x is not good enough and they have stated they can get it to 60fps.