• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Eoind

Oct 27, 2017
Regarding the cooling for the SSD expansion slot, I thought I saw an image someone posted (but I can't find it) but basically it showed the top on the slot there is a hole/gap which looks like it goes through to the fan?

Kabuki Waq

Oct 26, 2017
Man Johns video are hands down my favorite on the net.

Considering John was a mainstay on Gaf he has seen so much trolling. I was hoping he was able to ignore it but I guess everyone has a breaking point. All these console warriors should be ashamed of themselves.

madridi-gh

Mar 25, 2018
Unfortunately new gen always has been exciting at individual level but very toxic at community level.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
As much as we may try to sympathise, we can never truly know what it's like to feel that kind of toxicity online - Unless we work in a similar environment.

Imagine trying your best to remain as professional as possible and no matter what you do, you're attacked by fanboys of all colors, shapes and sizes... It can't fucking be fun.

Videogames are supposed to be fun!!

I really feel for Digital Foundry and the people that deal with this kind of shit in general. One should probably not expect respecful engagment online, but we should and can do better - Especially here.

We can have our likes, preferences or disagreements, but that doesn't give any of us the right to question the integrity of the people we disagree with!

I truly feel for John and the rest of DF. We can do better, Era. We can do better.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
To everyone at DF, this quokka wants to give you a big hug for your great work.

16124365_1117534098374780_5466006995590971392_n-e1488475313343.jpg
Very cute, big fan

FireCloud

Dec 26, 2017
I'm all hyped about the PS5 launch. But I honestly can't say I know how the console will fair in terms of longevity as compared to most other consoles. The SSD soldered to the mobo was a concern when I watched the teardown. I later learned that liquid metal, has in the past, may have issues in the future.

However, I do not "know" that these are actual concerns. The number of write cycles for the internal SSD may be so high that it isn't really feasible to hit it during normal use of the console. Likewise, Sony has said they have tested the liquid metal for quite some time before making a decision that it is something that could be used. In both cases, at this point, I'm not going to worry about what I don't know. If these decisions turn out bad in the long term, then I'll take that into account when I purchase my next console. But worrying about it now just seems like anxiety I don't need in my life.

Thug Larz

Designer @ Bungie
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I loved this video. They are working with what they have, and I think Rich did a great job talking about the struggles as it pertains to their access with a hefty dose of speculation.

MS understands the value of tech breakdowns with the enthusiast crowd and leaned in hard on DF to help get their messages out. I only imagine that DF would absolutely have the same stuff on PS5 if Sony gave them access, but they haven't.

Won't matter in a few weeks anyway when they have retail units themselves. Can't wait for that coverage too.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
something that would calm down the fears regarding reliability would be to support installing the OS and running of the external drive no (on the drive slot, not USB)? could it be done on the firmware level I wonder!?

Oct 25, 2017
Excited for them to get hands on, I imagine not until after launch? Can't remember how things normally go, outside of how early Xbox is doing previews this time around.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Great video, it didn't have anything new, but neat to hear rich's perspective on the design.

Hopefully PS5 is as reliable as a Toyota. It looks well engineered.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
I'm all hyped about the PS5 launch. But I honestly can't say I know how the console will fair in terms of longevity as compared to most other consoles. The SSD soldered to the mobo was a concern when I watched the teardown. I later learned that liquid metal, has in the past, may have issues in the future.

However, I do not "know" that these are actual concerns. The number of write cycles for the internal SSD may be so high that it isn't really feasible to hit it during normal use of the console. Likewise, Sony has said they have tested the liquid metal for quite some time before making a decision that it is something that could be used. In both cases, at this point, I'm not going to worry about what I don't know. If these decisions turn out bad in the long term, then I'll take that into account when I purchase my next console. But worrying about it now just seems like anxiety I don't need in my life.

Don't worry about the SSD. SSD's are significantly more durable than HDDs, and in a console it will be doing a lot more reading than writing anyway. I have a pair of Crucial SSDs that I used in RAID 0 for almost 10 years and neither has had any issues. Definitely can't say the same for some HDDs I've had in that time.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Good summary video. Thanks.

Indeed it is traditional in terms of console layout as it was with the PS4, PS3, etc...

NXGamer also said similar comments but as noted in the video (try and true) if it isn't broke then why fix it? Instead adding even more tweaks to it and big things like their cooling approach is a nice touch.

Idc about the size of the console, I've had beefy consoles before with the PS3 or OG Xbox, etc... Even if this is technically bigger I will be fine, I understand others not having that luxury though.

All in all I can't wait to get my hands on it come launch (hopefully unless there is shipment delay). I will toss in added SSD right away. I don't mind the actual SSD being internally embedded into the motherboard since I always like the idea of having the base storage and then stacking new memory on top of it like the Switch then I do replacing storage and transferring it but I understand the comments.

Nice info about how much available storage he heard relative to the leak we got, I wonder how the retail unit will fair compared to both?

Thanks again for the video and the hardwork over at DF, they've made every console generation very interesting in the tech side and contributed a lot in making me have interest in these things.

Chippewa Barr

Aug 8, 2020
Because it isn't soldered on the Series X. The SSD on the motherboard appears to be replaceable on the Series X.

Edit: Added image.
image-asset.jpeg
Okay this I was unaware of...very interesting.

What's the minimum spec (speed/PCIe gen) required for 2242 M2 XSX SSDs? Definitely seems user replaceable, albeit the price will be wild for a few years until that form factor comes down. Although they should have left the casing open so all the way up to 2280 could fit, but what do I know lol.

And is the PS5 soldered on? If so makes sense due to the internal M2 expansion port.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Well PS4 Slim came out just shy of 3 years after PS4, and it looks like they've already got the roadmap down for the PS5 Pro/Slim. But a bit part of the when is market behavior and profit maximization. They don't what to cut their own legs off by not giving the base PS5 a chance to fully mature in the market. If they still can't keep them on shelves into 2023, they won't be as incentivized to bring out the revisions quickly, regardless of how dense they can get the VRAM by that time. They'll also want to give enough space for the early adopters to not only not feel burned but entice them keep early adopting the new units.

And they also will be thinking about how long this whole gen might last. If they bring out a Pro/Slim in 2 years and the gen goes for 5 more years, then they played their hand too early and MS has more wiggle room to steal the show back with their own revision at a more opportune time. These last 2 gens went 7 years. If we can expect a similar lifetime this gen, I wouldn't expect revisions much sooner than Q3/Q4 2023.

I agree with that. PS5 Slim most likely in Fall 2023 and PS6 in Q4 2027. I'm not expecting a more powerful Pro model this time. I think that whatever silicon advancements the industry makes feasible over course of the coming years that Sony/SIE and Cerny sees as important for future consoles, they should save those things for PS6.

Things like many more CUs than PS4 Pro and PS5 (i.e 80 cu) far better Ray Tracing capability * speed (beyond what's in the near-future RDNA 3 or even RDNA 4) and things like cpu+gpu chiplets, High Bandwidth Memory, and Gate-All-Around 3nm, transistors fabbed with EUV, faster SSD tech , etc, save it all for the PS6 instead of using some of it in a PS5 Pro.

I think one major question is will PSVR2 come out in late 2021, or sometime in 2022? I'm thinking Q4 2022 at the absolute latest,but wouldn't be surprised
if it's Q2 2022, or even Q4 2021. I'm including those new VR controllers from the patents when I say PSVR2.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
In regard to a comment in the video of Sony's marketing strategy getting them more attention. It's expected that PS5 would have more hype behind it, Playstation is the bigger brand. Sure the drip feed of info helps but no matter what Sony would have done they would still have more attention anyway.

Moosichu

Oct 25, 2017
If you can, please let John know that as someone who has been going through a rough period in their own lives, that the backlog of DFRetro videos have been a great source of comfort. Being able to just enjoy really-well made and interesting content about retro games has been a great way to unwind at the end of otherwise stressful days. As a programmer in the games industry it has also made me care a lot more a games preservation, so it has had a positive influence on at least one person. And that one person appreciates it an awful lot.

I really enjoyed the breakdown! It's not much to go-on and I can't believe we only have until November before this machine launches and yet we still know so little about it.

Leonine

Sep 19, 2020
Good video by Rich and the DF team, they can only go on what they've seen.
I'd love for them to make a follow up piece once they've got hands on a unit themselves.

Mar 8, 2018
Can someone explain what happened?
Poor John, seems at his wits end
A subset of warriors were upset with DF for not posting a reaction video to the PS5 teardown right away, even though DF has a lot on its plate right now. When DF posted the video today, a similar group started pushing accusations of bias or conspiracy against Sony because they didn't believe that DF was sufficiently effusive in its tone. The heightened environment right now has been bearing a lot on the mental health of content creators.

Oct 27, 2017
A subset of warriors were upset with DF for not posting a reaction video to the PS5 teardown right away, even though DF has a lot on its plate right now. When DF posted the video today, a similar group started pushing accusations of bias or conspiracy against Sony because they didn't believe that DF was sufficiently effusive in its tone. The heightened environment right now has been bearing a lot on the mental health of content creators.

I think the tribalism of modern social rhetoric, especially in the age of Twitter as a prominent platform combined with sociopolitical discourse, has gotten us here. It's an age where rhetoric is so weaponized that toxicity is unbelievably high.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, console warring because of this kind of video is something alright.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure what people expected out of this video. DF has the same information on this that we do; the original video on YouTube. We were never going to get any kind of insider anything, not until they get a unit of their own. So we got Richard's opinion on what he was seeing, which is frankly all I was expecting. The video was fine.

What people were actually wanting, it seems, was for DF to do their own teardown of the hardware. Which I don't know that they've ever done before? Did they ever do a full post-release teardown of an Xbox One or PS4? Even that XSX video was done under MS's watchful eye, using their pre-made little demo kit that was no doubt a hell of a lot easier to tear down than the real thing would be (and Sony did the same, they glossed over the removal of several dozen screws and cables in their video, too).

When it comes to the hardware like this, I'd be more interested in seeing someone like Gamer's Nexus do it, assuming they even do console breakdowns like this. At least they would have more detailed analysis of things like the liquid metal, which will no doubt make it a hell of a lot harder for the Average Joe to service than the PS4 was. I've taken my PS4 Pro apart twice, I'd probably be much less likely to do that with the PS5 based on the liquid metal alone.

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
The internet can be a right old negative place so just want to say I think Digital Foundry is fantastic, really appreciate all the work you guys put in!

Oct 27, 2017
DF is awesome is all I have to say on that matter.

I also can't see how they're meant to be enthused when they can't even get hands on with the hardware yet and ask the engineers questions.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How absurd. DF is incredibly professional and open about their process. How insecure do you have to be to accuse them of bias?

We even needed have a warning from mods on this thread? People suck.

Djredline

Chicken Chaser
Oct 26, 2017
I can't wait for them to get their hands on the actual console.

Agree

Even though I'm getting a series X I'm still interested in what Sony has produced and DF would usually be my 1st place to go for a tear down.

Overall it was a good video for the limited information that they had without having actual hands on with the console.

Easy_G

Dec 11, 2017
California
Just hopping in to say the DF videos and guys are fantastic. I especially love the DF Retro series, which I regularly watch and flip through old videos. I found this teardown analysis fascinating and informative. Clearly those of us that appreciate their work need to have a louder voice.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just hopping in to say the DF videos and guys are fantastic. I especially love the DF Retro series, which I regularly watch and flip through old videos. I found this teardown analysis fascinating and informative. Clearly those of us that appreciate their work need to have a louder voice.
It's hard to be louder than toxic people in general unfortunately.

Oct 27, 2017
This is what you get when you can't increase and enforce minimum age requirement on internet forums. (Big assumption: as people get older, they may become mature)

Bunch of dumbass teenagers looking for console wars out of nothing. Just because DF didn't use couple of more superlatives to describe PS5 and also mentioned it was Sony who didn't provide any access to PS5 hardware, they are butthurt?

DF guys, for all these "dumbers", there are people who appreciate your work so keep it up.

That's kind of reductive. And just false.

There are many people (men, mostly) who are in their 30s and 40s and dedicate an extreme amount of time to this stuff. And are also very hostile.

Betamaxbandit

Jan 30, 2018
😞

Can we ban fanboys and console war crap?
If you're emotionally invested in a plastic box you're either 12 or never progressed past that age emotionally. Grow the fuck up.

made the mistake of looking at that @kratostwin Twitter feed. It's 100% console warrior crap. It's mind boggling to me that people are THAT invested in a piece of hardware.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
That's kind of reductive. And just false.

There are many people (men, mostly) who are in their 30s and 40s and dedicate an extreme amount of time to this stuff. And are also very hostile.
One of the most eye-opening things I realized not that long ago from browsing Era and other gaming sites is how many of the worst fanboys are middle aged adults, often with families. I find it disturbing how much of the console warring is waged by these kind of people. You'd think the responsibility of a job, kids, and life in general would get more in the way, yet they still find the time to spend hours a day warring on forums.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
Awesome video. DF is amazing. Rich is great. Love the analysis. As was discussed a little in the video, PS5 info being slowly trickled out versus XSX is to keep people ravenously discussing (or arguing) over every small bit of info Sony strategically releases. It's simply a different approach.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
One of the most eye-opening things I realized not that long ago from browsing Era and other gaming sites is how many of the worst fanboys are middle aged adults, often with families. I find it disturbing how much of the console warring is waged by these kind of people. You'd think the responsibility of a job, kids, and life in general would get more in the way, yet they still find the time to spend hours a day warring on forums.
Yuuuup. Lol it isn't kids lol grown ass man babies.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017

People treat these companies like sports teams, and exclusive games/deals/acquisitions like their team scoring a point in a game.

It's weird, and yet it's prolific even here.

Hendog1981

Oct 28, 2017
The DF video is a reaction video about a tear down video. The only reason I watched it was to support DF and the work they do. Did it give any extra information no, did it raise more questions yes and everyone of those questions can have assumed answers but they are just that, assumptions without any official confirmation from Sony.

It seems like a lot of people were looking for DF to do a video on the tear down so they could try to load up their ammo belts to have something to say against the competing platform or so they can shout bias.

Overall great video as always from DF and I can't wait until they actually get a PS5 in hand so they can put it through its paces.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
Yuuuup. Lol it isn't kids lol grown ass man babies.
For most of this gen I wasn't involved in all the online communities. I still played games but but I wasn't that involved in the forum discussions and stuff. But now due to covid lockdowns I've come back into them, probably a big mistake lol
I don't know if its just because im in my 30s now but there are so many people that are acting like children when it's clear they're not.

made the mistake of looking at that @kratostwin Twitter feed. It's 100% console warrior crap. It's mind boggling to me that people are THAT invested in a piece of hardware.
Yea it is. It's fine people having preferences but this goes far beyond that.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
For most of this gen I wasn't involved in all the online communities. I still played games but but I wasn't that involved in the forum discussions and stuff. But now due to covid lockdowns I've come back into them, probably a big mistake lol
I don't know if its just because im in my 30s now but there are so many people that are acting like children when it's clear they're not.

Yea it is. It's fine people having preferences but this goes far beyond that.
I think that's one part of why it's extra toxic due to COVID people are going everywhere online and launch has always been terrible discourse

RogerL

Oct 30, 2017
Okay this I was unaware of...very interesting.

What's the minimum spec (speed/PCIe gen) required for 2242 M2 XSX SSDs? Definitely seems user replaceable, albeit the price will be wild for a few years until that form factor comes down. Although they should have left the casing open so all the way up to 2280 could fit, but what do I know lol.

And is the PS5 soldered on? If so makes sense due to the internal M2 expansion port.

I actually think it is an 2230 PCIe v4 x2 part, I would be surprised if it is sold to consumers. It is said that NAND chips usually do not get hot, but the controller do - in this case the controller and NAND is integrated in a very small form factor.
The casing isn't there for fun, if I see correctly it will be touched by central metal frame.

But there are pros and cons.
+ will be replaceable
- full disassembly required
- contact in itself is a point of failure (and are surprisingly expensive too)
- heat generation from a small chip
+ There will be a lot fewer faults on SSDs than there were on mechanical HD (all next gen consoles)

A 2280 could not fit at that position in an xbox, contact looks placed in center thus only 151/2 mm = 76 mm and you would be on the outside of the box... Better placement would be needed. PS5 placement looks very nice
- own shield (should not disturb or be disturbed by other parts)
- looks like it could take 22110 PCIe v4 x4 (there is a hole on the very edge of the board)
- planned to have airflow

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
Ok, I decided to watch the video one again to see if I could make sense of some people's comments here accusing Richard of making any sort of biased comments and I just got very annoyed because the video is truly immaculate in its neutrality. Anybody accusing Richard of any kind of bias really doesn't deserve to be posting in this forum imo