• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
All of this bitching about everything will be gone when these fucking consoles are out and it turns out they are not made from fairy piss.

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
Consoles aren't exotic sports cars; they're all built at their core as reliable, cost effective devices. That's their whole business model.

But people would love their consoles to be such exotic sports cars!

Listen, I am not even commenting on the Toyota comparison being right or wrong, I am just saying that this comment is gonna be misconstrued by bad faith actors. This is the kind of ammo they love and Rich gave it away willingly!

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I appreciate the work put in by Digital Foundry here, but I still think it's a shame that they have to analyze a teardown video like the rest of us. It's mid-October. Places like Digital Foundry should have their own PS5 to tear down themselves.

foamdino

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I like the video. It's fairly obvious that Rich is at least a little annoyed (could be for any number of reasons), but he gives a decent analysis of what he can see in the video and his thoughts. I don't completely agree with his analysis, but he explains his thought process and it's logical, not fanboy drivel. Good stuff as usual from DF.

The toyota comment I read to be about the famous toyota manufacturing process - which if you work in logistics/manufacturing you would have had some sight of: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Production_System

I didn't take that comment as negative in the slightest. The comparisons with the Series X are always interesting but I don't think they're 100% valid as no-one has had the chance to do full like-for-like comparisons with respect to noise, cooling etc.

The comment about CPU/SoC info was more about how MS provide this technical detail at Hotchips but Sony don't do attend that - although I have a pet theory that the Sony SoC has some more customisations that are still under NDA until after the RDNA2 event later this month which is why I think people who would know all the details are still reluctant to spill info. Rich made it seem that they've been trying to ask clarifying questions but Sony are not forthcoming.

Oct 27, 2017
Consoles aren't exotic sports cars; they're all built at their core as reliable, cost effective devices. That's their whole business model.
This quote nails it, and the end of the day reliability and lower power consumption are key for consoles vs PCs counterparts. This isn't a bad thing it's just the nature of consoles. The value of what these boxes can do vs price are amazingly good. Let's not lose sight of that.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
But people would love their consoles to be such exotic sports cars. Listen, I am not even commenting on the Toyota comparison being right or wrong. I am just saying that this comment is gonna be misconstrued by bad faith actors. This is the kind of ammo they love.

These same people would be using a $600-700 price tag as ammo if it did contain more exotic parts throughout. There's no way to win.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
But people would love their consoles to be such exotic sports cars!

Listen, I am not even commenting on the Toyota comparison being right or wrong, I am just saying that this comment is gonna be misconstrued by bad faith actors. This is the kind of ammo they love and Rich gave it away willingly!

People on here would've lost their minds if the consoles were $600 or more (if we're using the exotic sport car analogy) so I don't think so.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
The toyota comment I read to be about the famous toyota manufacturing process - which if you work in logistics/manufacturing you would have had some sight of: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Production_System

I didn't take that comment as negative in the slightest.

Agreed, I don't think that was intended as a slight at all. I think he's saying - and IMO it's true - that it's obvious Sony has kept an eye on straightforward/'simple' manufacturability (liquid metal aside), on longer term cost curves, and on erring on the side of caution in terms of thermal capacity, airflow area etc. For 'conservative' you can read 'straightforward', and straightforward or simple isn't at all a bad thing for manufacturing or product design.

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
These same people would be using a $600-700 price tag as ammo if it did contain more exotic parts throughout. There's no way to win.
People on here would've lost their minds if the consoles were $600 or more (if we're using the exotic sport car analogy) so I don't think so.

It's not a question of whether their favorite plaything is an actual exotic sports car, it's about the perception of it being one.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
PS5 had to go less expensive with the build quality since there's a SKU that's $100 less than the XSX/PS5 while sacrificing nothing but the optical drive. Sony nailed their design goals and it looks like other than the size being rather large, they didn't have to compromise anywhere else.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Hope they don't feel they're being forced to do this lol. Silly attacks. Will watch now :b
Great, now hopefully folks will stop attacking the few remaining DF members here.

Agreed. Some ppl need to relax, seriously.
Nothing new of course, but interesting to note he mentions Sony's build cost is probably noticeably cheaper than the Series X's.
Interesting indeed.

Ewaan

May 29, 2020
Motherwell, Scotland
Heh, Rich does not seem to be all that impressed. That Toyota comparison made me gasp, fanboys will go to war for less 😂!

Yeah that wasn't a slight against PlayStation. Toyota are a revolutionary company when it comes to design and manufacture. Their practices are probably the biggest improvement in car manufacture since Henry Ford started the car assembly line.

If you're interested at all in some of the things they introduced into manufacturing practices, see Just in Time.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
PS5 had to go less expensive with the build quality since there's a SKU that's $100 less than the XSX/PS5 while sacrificing nothing but the optical drive. Sony nailed their design goals and it looks like other than the size being rather large, they didn't have to compromise anywhere else.
They didnt go less expensive with the build quality. They went less expensive on the chip and cooling everything else is showing that its high build quality.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah that wasn't a slight against PlayStation. Toyota are a revolutionary company when it comes to design and manufacture. Their practices are probably the biggest improvement in car manufacture since Henry Ford started the car assembly line.
Yeah. You can see up and down how the system was built and also pretty much will allow them to miniaturize pretty easily.

Sia

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 9, 2020
Canada
What does he mean by conservative, in the engineering sense being conservative is having large safety factors for stuff. Does he mean that Sony over provisioned the cooling, large area, large heat sink, large fan, liquid metal.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
It's not a question of their favorite plaything being an actual exotic sports car, it's about the perception of it being one.
Well, at the end of the day, engineering internal components into something more complicated for the sole reason of having it look more exotic to combat perception would be a bad long term move. Console warriors will always find something illogical to pull out, no matter how wrongheaded and stupid it is in reality. They're going to latch onto something and perceive it to be bad no matter what.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
They didnt go less expensive with the build quality. They went less expensive on the chip and cooling everything else is showing that its high build quality.
Build quality is a poor choice of words on my part but it's factual they cut costs to hit a price target and they did it in a smart way, with the only downside being size.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
User banned (1 month): Platform wars. Numerous prior infractions for platform wars.
"Brute force cooling solution.... MASSIVE heat sync" couldn't agree more John

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Build quality is a poor choice of words on my part but it's factual they cut costs to hit a price target and they did it in a smart way, with the only downside being size.
Yeah thats more accurate there, if you see the summary of an interview with ootori it confirms that, they saved a shit load of money on a smaller chip because it would help yield sizes and amount of chips per wafer and then were able to get to the performance goals they had at a sacrifice of a large sized console due to heat.

Oct 27, 2017
This is great. I like the comparison of the traditional PS5 design with the newer and more elegant design of the Series X. I'm curious what will work better in the end.

SAKY

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Welp, they covered a video, and we got some thoughts and some assumptions. That was....a video. I think this confirms that the system would be quiet but I think we already knew that after the teardown from Sony.

Another quality piece of content from DF as expected.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
What does he mean by conservative, in the engineering sense being conservative is having large safety factors for stuff. Does he mean that Sony over provisioned the cooling, large area, large heat sink, large fan, liquid metal.

The PS5 is built a lot like a traditional console, not much different from the PS4 in fact, but with more attention to ensure keeping the system quiet by increasing size, using liquid metal, using a much bigger heatsink, etc.

He's right. The PS5 is likely cheaper to produce than the XSX because of this too.

Oct 28, 2017
I thought DF made some good points about general cost reduction especially in regards to the PS5 actually having very few parts, despite being quite large.

I have a general question for more tech savy people than me though. Since one of the ways the console handles heat is simple through sheer size with the heatsink and huge fan, would it even be possible to create a PS5 slim without completely redesigning the cooling system? The components aren't going to get any less hot.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah thats more accurate there, if you see the summary of an interview with ootori it confirms that, they saved a shit load of money on a smaller chip because it would help yield sizes and amount of chips per wafer and then were able to get to the performance goals they had at a sacrifice of a large sized console due to heat.

Kinda wild when you measure reality against the yield rate FUD from 1-2 months ago, eh?

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
I thought DF made some good points about general cost reduction especially in regards to the PS5 actually having very few parts, despite being quite large.

I have a general question for more tech savy people than me though. Since one of the ways the console handles heat is simple through sheer size with the heatsink and huge fan, would it even be possible to create a PS5 slim without completely redesigning the cooling system? The components aren't going to get any less hot.
Yes, they mention exactly that in their interview that just came out today. Doing so would mean adding in two smaller fans which would shrink the console, but also increase the build cost.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Then why are they charging $100 for a UHD drive?

I suspect Sony doesn't want face-offs before launch.

Did they allow the PS4 to anyone like DF prior to launch?

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017

"Conservative" in the sense of following traditional PC design for its construction. The single mobo with a big copper heatsink should be effective for cooling, it just leads to a PC-size form factor. Stacked motherboards have been used in console design going all the way back to 32 and 64-bit eras as a way to keep things smaller, but it seems they wanted to minimize components. Cutting back the GPU CUs in the APU was presumably another way to help keep size/heat more under control.

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017

If you're interested at all in some of the things they introduced into manufacturing practices, see Just in Time.

Haven't seen the video, but the write-up makes it clear that he means the cooling solution is not exotic. Nothing to do with manufacturing prowess.