• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, in a type of game like this where you're often moving slowly while keeping an eye on a particular area of a room, the elimination of shimmering can make a noticeable difference. The atmosphere of the environment is one that the environment is "alive" with functioning mechanical equipment, air volumes, burning gases, and is much more like a haunted house than a thrill ride.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested in the results, haven't bought it yet (but I own it on PS4)

There is definitely something different going on here and the Switch version feels worse to me. I thought it might just be the joycon, but I also tried a pro controller and got the same results. Maybe the Switch version has an increased dead zone? I can't pinpoint what it is, but man it's hurting the port for me.

Edit: Oh ya, there's at least a larger dead zone.

Dark1x Any thoughts on this?

IronFalcon1997

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
I'm shocked at how great this port is and pleasantly surprised that DF did an analysis on it! Great job highlighting the progression of technology and how the Switch benefits from this and from a great studio! I can't wait to see more games from Feral Inc.!

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
Im playing right now, the port looks awesome, but funny enough, I like the shimmering on the PS4 lol

Maybe I got used to it and now Im missing it a bit, because I finished the game 4 times on the PS4

But damn, it looks so clean on the Switch. Only played portable so far, but damn.

Probably one of the most impressive looking games on the Switch

TAA + Sharpening is one of the best sollutions around, imho

Last edited:

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Im playing right now, the port looks awesome, but funny enough, I like the shimmering on the PS4 lol

Maybe I got used to it and now Im missing it a bit, because I finished the game 4 times on the PS4

But damn, it looks so clean on the Switch. Only played portable so far, but damn.

Probably one of the most impressive looking games on the Switch

TAA + Sharpening is one of the best sollutions around, imho

Any thoughts on the deadzone issue Darknight is talking about?
vvvvvvv
There is definitely something different going on here and the Switch version feels worse to me. I thought it might just be the joycon, but I also tried a pro controller and got the same results. Maybe the Switch version has an increased dead zone? I can't pinpoint what it is, but man it's hurting the port for me.

Edit: Oh ya, there's at least a larger dead zone.

Dark1x Any thoughts on this?

Damn, hopefully someone will report the same problem to Feral via Twitter or something and they'll fix it.

Purchase on hold for me then :(

driveninhifi

Jun 7, 2018
Alien:Isolation has its own global illumination system. I bet that's not on the switch version which is why it appears like there's no ambient occlusion or contact shadows.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
Any thoughts on the deadzone issue Darknight is talking about?
vvvvvvv

Damn, hopefully someone will report the same problem to Feral via Twitter or something and they'll fix it.

Purchase on hold for me then :(
I've talked about it on the oficial topic

To me at least, it's bad. Like, really bad.

Hope that there's a patch, because it easily affects my enjoyment of the game.

I have the PS4 version, and gameplay wise, it's a night and day difference

Alien:Isolation has its own global illumination system. I bet that's not on the switch version which is why it appears like there's no ambient occlusion or contact shadows.

Actually, some people with hacked Switches are already introducing some PC settings. Regarding ambient occlusion, they were able to turn on HDAO or an "Standard" solution (PS4/Xbox).

Last edited:

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017

Oh good, so I'm not imagining things.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017

Actually, some people with hacked Switches are already introducing some PC settings. Regarding ambient occlusion, they were able to turn on HDAO or an "Standard" solution (PS4/Xbox).

Fuck.

Did Feral comment on the matter yet?

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Those are totally different things. The GI appears to intact.

...and, as has been mentioned, it's possible to enable AO with a hacked Switch anyways.

Discokuningas

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
I don't really know what people are talking about with the controls. I don't have any problems. Seems fine but never played any other version. But there is Controller Sensitivity option if that helps?

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Probably triple buffering vs adaptive v-sync?

Hmm, I was hoping it was just what appears to be an increased dead zone which would be easier to fix. The input lag is just jarring to me and I'm not usually sensitive to that.

I don't really know what people are talking about with the controls. I don't have any problems. Seems fine but never played any other version. But there is Controller Sensitivity option if that helps?

Watch this video:

Watch when he taps the right analog stick and how long the delay before you see the screen moves. That doesn't happen in the PS4 version.

Discokuningas

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Hmm, I was hoping it was just what appears to be an increased dead zone which would be easier to fix. The input lag is just jarring to me and I'm not usually sensitive to that.

Watch this video:

Watch when he taps the right analog stick and how long the delay before you see the screen moves. That doesn't happen in the PS4 version.

Testing it right now but playing docked. There definitely is pretty big dead zone at least. But after that not sure if there is any significant input lag. It feels fine to play to me. But yeah I can see that it can be better on other versions.

Edit: I'm pretty sure it is the dead zone. It is unnecessary really. Sensitivity options doesn't help to that. As a gyro player it doesn't matter to me that much though. Moving feels good enought and gyro helps with aiming.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Testing it right now but playing docked. There definitely is pretty big dead zone at least. But after that not sure if there is any significant input lag. It feels fine to play to me.

I tried it both docked and undocked with a joycon and pro controller. It didn't seem to make a difference. It just feels off compared to the PS4 version. The PS4 definitely doesn't have the same dead zone and I'm hoping that's it because I would hope/think that's easily correctable. It's really throwing me moving and looking around because for a split second, you could be pushing in one direction and then switch, and even though you know you've switched directions, it's still going in the previous direction for a bit longer. Between the start up/dead zone and changing directions, that's what makes it feel laggy to me.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Amazing. The atmosphere is awesome from the getgo. I had my headphones loud and fucking got scared by the lights that turn on in the damn beginning hallways.

This port is insane. I love the gyro look too. I haven't even tried the split joycons either.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Great video as always Dark1x! 🥳 Nearly got me to buy the game, but I am afraid I may not be able to finish it out of fear, haha! Mr X in REmake2 seems tame in comparison. 🥶 I hope Nintendo will start using TAA in their 1st party as well, it really goes a long way! Does it have a large performance impact? Mario Odyssey, BotW and Links Awakening could really use it...

Last edited:

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing this for a couple days and I think it's the perfect type of horror game for me. Sometimes these games can get too intense for me with too much hiding and running and just hoping I'm going the right way but this game gives you enough tools so that you can usually survive if you just pay attention to your surroundings and motion tracker.

It also helps that it's a gorgeous game.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Every time I see this get bumped, I hope it's news about the control issues...

Oct 25, 2017
Is it ok to ask stuff in here that is better off for the OT?

I mean, happy for the game to have as much active discussion as possible.

It really is a concern that, by virtue of the fact this is a port, nobody talks about in contemporary terms. Podcasts, etc.

But I maintain it wasn't talked about enoughanyway "at launch".

I usually can't stand the significancebestowed on DF videos like this but I recogniseit's giving them game another momentin the sun.

I hate typingon phones.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
How do you do a whole video singing the games praise and not mention the terrible input lag? Pretty irresponsible of a reviewer

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's some improvement, shimmering is horrible.

I hope they do an uber next gen version and VR improvements.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't stand to play more than an hour of Isolation on base xbox one because of sickening framerates. Looks like that's improved, but there's stuttering at some point?

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
I did, though. I just don't have numbers due to time pressure.

"irresponsible", though? What the f***?

lol yeah that was embarrassing to read

anyway, I still haven't bought it because of the supposed input lag/dead zone issue. Do you reckon it's a significantly noticeable issue that would impact one's enjoyment?

I love the game and own it on PS4 but have never completed it nor played any dlc and I don't play with my PS4 these days so it sucks how this issue put a damp on my excitement for this port.

Also what do you think about Saber's tech lead commenting the only difference between the PS4 and Switch version in terms of input lag is simply caused by using triple buffering on the latter.
Tho some as said they only have an issue with the analog sticks while button presses to bring up the menu for example are almost instantaneous, pointing to a dead zone issue instead. I unfortunately can't test it myself, I wish there was a demo... would love if you had the time to elaborate even just a little.
Cheers

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for the bump, but was the lag/dead zone issue ever fixed?
Funny that you posted this since I was just thinking about it earlier today and decided to look around. No updates as far as I can see and not totally unexpected but they never replied to me about my suggestion to fix the dead zone to a help improve it without needing to address the lag introduced from the triple buffering. I have a feeling it's not going to get fixed which is a shame since there appears to be a potential simple solution.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Funny that you posted this since I was just thinking about it earlier today and decided to look around. No updates as far as I can see and not totally unexpected but they never replied to me about my suggestion to fix the dead zone to a help improve it without needing to address the lag introduced from the triple buffering. I have a feeling it's not going to get fixed which is a shame since there appears to be a potential simple solution.
Damn. Guess I will just stick with PS4. :(