• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Will buy if they release it physically, I don't do digital.

Maybe LRG or someone would pick it up?

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
I think Dead Space/RE2R/Silent Hill 2 is my sweet spot for horror, this is too much because the tension is too much, which is a shame because I love Alien as a franchise and a film. I feel guilty not supporting this game.
Perspective aside, if you can handle Mr. X with no special anxiety, you'll do totally fine with the Alien in this game. Just remember: you have weapons at your disposal, developers expect you to use them; you're not defenseless, in any given encounter, shoot and move on. Try it on normal difficulty, besides one or two situations (the first of them, curiously), it's a relatively comfortable experience. Doesn't help either that the Alien's AI is a bit dense, most of the time.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
This makes me think Creative Assembly was forced to release an unfinished version back in 2014 and then didn't have the budget to patch it properly (there was one patch that somewhat fixed the cutscenes if I remember correctly).
It's not that the game was released "unfinished" (at least not for that reason) - it's that modern TAA techniques were not really around back then.
The game does have a temporal SMAA implementation (T2x) but it couldn't handle the shader aliasing and mostly only added ghosting to the image in motion.

Life is Strange seems like a no-brainer.
Life is Strange/Before the Storm are games that I'd buy on the Switch just to have them. Well, I'd probably play through them again too (yes, despite my recent post on backlogs).
XCOM would be great as well, though I don't know how the system would handle XCOM2.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
This makes me think Creative Assembly was forced to release an unfinished version back in 2014 and then didn't have the budget to patch it properly (there was one patch that somewhat fixed the cutscenes if I remember correctly).
Nah, proper temporal antialiasing just wasn't as widespread back then. The game also could have been 60FPS with dynamic res on the other consoles, (Assuming no CPU bottlenecks) but dynamic res wasn't as widespread either.
If the Switch version were to be released with the techniques used back then, it'd be 810p or 756p with the shitty AA used in the other versions, and that'd be a lot rougher.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
TAA wasn't common at all during 2014 from what I remember. Look at something like Forza Horizon 4 which doesn't have it and it looks jaggy even at 4K.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
what the fuck are they smoking over there? their own screenshot comparison shows the PS4 version looks substantially better? switch just looks blurry?

am i missing something here?

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
what the fuck are they smoking over there? their own screenshot comparison shows the PS4 version looks substantially better? switch just looks blurry?

am i missing something here?

9FVP7A9.png

Oct 28, 2017
I wish more developers added both TAA and (Smarter) Sharpening as game options as standard, there have been few games with TAA/FXAA which does not have sharpening option in-game and requires one to apply a full screen options via other methods which makes fonts look inaccurate.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Don't be upset that the Switch has got a great version. All of them look good.

who said i was upset? i'm confused that something that clearly looks worse, even in the images on digital foundry, are said to look better by digital foundry? are they high? blind? ...maybe i've gone blind? what's going on? lol

Discokuningas

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
and yet also...

VKnL7Ko.jpg

which looks like absolute ass on the switch?

Where is that comparison from?

who said i was upset? i'm confused that something that clearly looks worse, even in the images on digital foundry, are said to look better by digital foundry? are they high? blind? ...maybe i've gone blind? what's going on? lol

You seem to be the only one thinking that way. I have the game. There is no aliasing like that in the picture.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Regardless of whether you are wrong or right in this instance - no need to sound like a dick about it. These guys put endless of hours into their videos and comparisons - i can assure you that they arent high or blind...even if mistakes can happen ( yeah humans and all) - might just chill a bit.

Deleted member 23075

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The above image with the lamp looks better on ps4. Haven't looked at the video yet.

Regardless, it's an AMAZING game. Switch owners, you're in for a treat.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
and yet also...

VKnL7Ko.jpg

which looks like absolute ass on the switch?
Ah dang it, you found an issue. That's not PS4 vs Switch...that's Docked vs Handheld mode. Lemme fix it. It's now correct on the page.

Here's a PS4 shot from that same spot. I think it looks worse than the Switch shot (which, in your shot is labeled PS4 by accident).

Last edited:

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Regardless of whether you are wrong or right in this instance - no need to sound like a dick about it. These guys put endless of hours into their videos and comparisons - i can assure you that they arent high or blind...even if mistakes can happen ( yeah humans and all) - might just chill a bit.

but which aspect is the mistake here? the clickbait headline? the picture labels (that's happened before...) the pictures themselves? what they're saying, and what they're showing have absolutely nothing in common at the moment. i'm being shown one thing and being told another. if the picture i posted is accurate, then by all accounts the switch version most certain does not look as good as ANY version, PS4 or otherwise.

EDIT: it's been cleared up above

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017
but which aspect is the mistake here? the clickbait headline? the picture labels (that's happened before...) the pictures themselves? what they're saying, and what they're showing have absolutely nothing in common at the moment. i'm being shown one thing and being told another. if the picture i posted is accurate, then by all accounts the switch version most certain does not look as good as ANY version, PS4 or otherwise.

This post is even funnier considering what was just posted above it.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Have you watched the long ass video with a bunch of comparisons ?

The situation also has been cleared up since this was a screen from the handheld mode.
Could have just asked about it without sounding like....well you know.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

EDIT: it's been cleared up above
Did you read the text, by the way? That states Portable vs Docked - it was just the upper label that was an error. That was the ONLY example where things looked off so why pick up on that one thing and ignore everything else? Very very strange.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Did you read the text, by the way? That states Portable vs Docked - it was just the upper label that was an error. That was the ONLY example where things looked off so why pick up on that one thing and ignore everything else? Very very strange.

I think you know the answer.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

to be fair the other 2 example screen comparison (which are PS4 vs Switch) also look noticably blurry on the switch too. i guess it's a taste thing, but blurry doesn't amount to better for me personally.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
the amount of lod/pop in makes it a hard pass. that is unacceptable.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
to be fair the other 2 example screen comparison (which are PS4 vs Switch) also look noticably blurry on the switch too. i guess it's a taste thing, but blurry doesn't amount to better for me personally.
My friend, this is why you need to watch the video. It's TAA - temporal. It *WILL* appear blurrier and, yeah, maybe you're not into that but it cleans up the image in motion a lot. It's more closer to what pre-rendered CGI would look like.

Please watch this linked segment (with timestamp). This is what I'm talking about.

The PS4 version looks totally fine in still shots but it's very shimmery in motion - this is true of all versions without modification (like on PC). Switch is just using a new type of AA.

Ultimately, my opinion is that TAA looks dramatically better than the SMAA T2x used on PS4.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I want to buy this game, for 1000 reasons. But at the same time, I don't like being afraid. It is not a sensation which I'm thriving for. I guess I'll still wait for a sale. I hope that Feral has many other games being ported to Swtch.

Nov 8, 2017
The PS4 version looks totally fine in still shots but it's very shimmery in motion - this is true of all versions without modification (like on PC). Switch is just using a new type of AA.

Do you have any personal experience with the TAA implementation on PC that exists in this mod? I wonder if this might have been the basis for it's inclusion in the Switch version. I think the source code is public, and it looks great / is widely used.

Image comparisons:

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
Wow, the Switch received some lovely ports within the last few months. Terrific job John, for bringing attention to these specific versions of the game. Isn't it lovely when developers can put something together on (fairly limited) portable hardware and still deliver a fantastic product? Especially when it's a port of a game and you can see how close it comes to the more powerful home console versions.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
My friend, this is why you need to watch the video. It's TAA - temporal. It *WILL* appear blurrier and, yeah, maybe you're not into that but it cleans up the image in motion a lot. It's more closer to what pre-rendered CGI would look like.

Please watch this linked segment (with timestamp). This is what I'm talking about.

Ultimately, my opinion is that TAA looks dramatically better than the SMAA T2x used on PS4.

i understand pixel crawl isn't exactly a lovely thing to look at. but i'm not sure that what the switch version is doing is a particularly good solution to it. tons of detail is being lost at even close proximity. it just doesn't look nice. this is the sort of AA solution that i hated in killzone 2 tbh. it's just a preference thing.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
i understand pixel crawl isn't exactly a lovely thing to look at. but i'm not sure that what the switch version is doing is a particularly good solution to it. tons of detail is being lost at even close proximity. it just doesn't look nice. this is the sort of AA solution that i hated in killzone 2 tbh. it's just a preference thing.
This isn't the same as KZ2 - this is just the modern TAA that we see in most new games these days. While actually playing the game, quite frankly, I don't think it looks overly blurry at all. The pixel crawl is just so distracting - one of the worst cases this gen, in fact.

Do you find most modern games too blurry then? TAA is just apart of life.

The fact is - TAA is very important in achieving more realistic, natural rendering. Films are not pixelated and super sharp. If you're going for realistic rendering, it's very important.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
If you're confused by the images, you really should watch the video. The amount of pixel shimmering on PS4 is painfully obvious in motion. I'm not usually one to like TAA because it tends to blur and make an image look lower res, but since base PS4 already uses a low quality TAA, switch's version looks really nice by comparison.

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017

Just watch the vid then. Compression or not, the switch version looks just better in motion.
Ps4 version has such an unpleasant jaggy IQ; I can't hardly imagine that anyone, you included, prefers the PS4 version.