• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair the console versions of this game were always very poor. Bad image quality, horrible input lag. Good to see a console version finally be where it needs to be some... 5 years after release :\

Deleted member 82

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
err

the switch version just looks like sharpness cranked

look at the name brand at the bottom of the monitor. you can barely make out the word "system" on the Switch

also, look at the right side of the monitor screen. the ps4 version has better AA there.

Right, but the textures look better on Switch. Look at the dirt on the bottom left part for instance. Much more visible on Switch.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
I need to make time for it. I have it on ps4, hoping the sales get more people talking about it and entices them to patch it on Pro/1X.

CypherSignal

Oct 25, 2017
Gosh, I totally forgot this was a cross-gen title entirely. I would have sworn it was PS4/XB1/PC, only.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
That's actually good that they are improving the ports and not being shitty throwaways for switch. Hats off to the devs.

The other thing to note is that these early ps4 games were not well made to the point of taking full advantage of the system. The base console is still pretty good these days. I currently have a Pro but compared to early 2014 games that had jaggies to now most games lacking them is amazing.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to watch it in a bit, but if THIS is what DF is saying then sheesh

Feral Interactive may be the best port studio for the Switch now.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
err

the switch version just looks like sharpness cranked

look at the name brand at the bottom of the monitor. you can barely make out the word "system" on the Switch

also, look at the right side of the monitor screen. the ps4 version has better AA there.
AA is more than just still images, it looks way better on Switch in motion which is all that matters really

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
I'm more the 'blast the aliens to bits' guy but I will make an exception for this.
Grid is soo fuckin awesome on switch.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol at the IGN review. How can this game score so low?

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
If someone had told me the Switch would ever have a AAA game outperform a PS4 in image quality, I would have called you a mad man! Yet here we are. Unfortunately not buying it because I'm not insane and don't want to poo myself on the bus.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
The only thing I can think is that Isolation was a cross gen title when it was released on PS4 XB1 so maybe that held back implementation of some more advanced graphical features ?

it's this. It's awesome the game is coming out with a strong port because the game is amazing, but Isolation was a cross gen title that ran/looked pretty rough at a lot of parts. I specifically remember the way the game controlled/looked was causing motion sickness in a lot of people. It's awesome that switch fans get a good port of it, but the title of this is going to make people overreact. If they did a remaster on ps4/xb1 it would smoke this port.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
This has nothing to do with headroom available, cross gen nature of the game etc. TAA doesn't really cost a lot of resources.

All this does is just show that Alien Isolation didn't get in on the TAA bandwagon when other games were just starting to hop on. Back then outside of rare titles like Ryse and Infamous, console games were still primarily FXAA,SMAA with no temporal elements while PC versions had been on TAA train for a few years (be it via TXAA, or SMAAT2x). The PC version of Alien Isolation had a TAA mod released for it later on that did the same thing.

Isolation wasn't really pushing the consoles GPU wise anyway, the equivalent cards (to consoles) on PC could easily do 60FPS, it was locked to 30 due to the CPU. So if the devs had prioritised it, the game could've had TAA back then itself.

Last edited:

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I was going to wait for a sale, but damn, I guess I'm going to Day 1 it. Can you preload ahead of the release?

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
I found the pc version to be a night and day difference vs my ps4 version. Ps4 had awful image quality, and the frame rate was unstable.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I played through this on launch and it was great, but the check pointing was a bit harsh. Has there been QOL changes to the game since then?

Birathen

Oct 27, 2017
One day lol funny part is I always drop it at the same point right when the alien is introduced. Truly the most terrifying game i've played this gen.

I'm proud to say I actually played well past the alien. I did it like I did with Silent hill 2 and 3. 15-20 minute at a time. :) Not finished it yet thou. I'm not that brave.

Sim

Oct 25, 2017
It's very cool they improved AA. I remember having a hell of a time trying to figure out how to improve image quality on the PC version back then- I believe a mod was eventually released that did just that. Anyway, maybe I'll buy this on the switch also. The extra effort deserves it.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Wait really?

How is this possible!?
The Switch port runs at a lower resolution but has a better anti-aliasing solution so in practice the image quality is far better than PS4. If you removed the logos I'd think that the PS4 version footage is of the Switch version. An excellent port by Feral Interactive.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I played through this on launch and it was great, but the check pointing was a bit harsh. Has there been QOL changes to the game since then?
Not really, and I think, minus some sections where the checkpoints are way to far in between, it's one of the best things of the game. The tension of being hunted by the alien while you're searching for a new saving point (hearing it in the distance, waiting those three seconds until you can finally use it) is frightening.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Looks like the PS4 version was a botched cross gen title. I wonder how their owners feel.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I disagree. What an exaggerating statement. Yes it uses a different form of AA/it uses some solution to solve the hard edges aliasing that the original versions had, but as a trade the resolution drops and that is clearly visible too, everywhere. So no, the image quality as a whole is, technically, worse.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Shame TAA was not added officially to any other version.

PC version also had bad shader aliasing, but user-made TAA mod can fix that.

wiggler

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man I loved Isolation! I played it when I went buck wild with two GTX 980s in SLI, and it was gorgeous.

Is there an equivalent to the Switch AA option on PC? If not, any chance this get's back ported? :D

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
Please people, if you're even slightly interested in this, buy it, you won't regret it. It's fantastic, and maybe this will push for a sequel.

I'd love to, but I've read it's too long and overstays it's welcome. That's a big turn off for me. I don't want to run away and hide from a xeno for 20 hours.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Better is going to be a matter of preference. Do you prefer less jaggies or a less blurry image? Since the switch doesn't hold 1080 all the time, you'll end up with less jaggies like in the pic below, but also get the blurrier text. Either way, a great port.

WbabHiu.jpg

The same can be seen in the image below. Much less aliasing at the expense of overall sharpness. This is reminding me a lot of Resident Evil 2, where the image was sharper on PS4 Pro, but had jaggies, and softer on X with less jaggies due to the TAA implementation. Personally, I preferred the Pro version because the blurrier look of the X made the game look flatter to me. I'm no fan of jaggies but I didn't think the trade off was worth it.

X7xPKKC.jpg

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
Better is going to be a matter of preference. Do you prefer less jaggies or a less blurry image? Since the switch doesn't hold 1080 all the time, you'll end up with less jaggies like in the pic below, but also get the blurrier text. Either way, a great port.

WbabHiu.jpg
As it's a TAA it also samples surfaces more than once, which can help text and other detail to be more readable, even though it's less sharp.

In case of A:I the original aliasing is just horrible even at huge resolutions, art direction with straight lines and no AA which would handle sub-pixel information hits image quality really hard. (Tried 1440p with 4xDSR and quality was worse than with Alias:ISolation mod, and so was performance.)