• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

QuantumZebra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just got a Switch (already have PS4 Pro and X1X)... this would be like the 10th time buying Isolation... but here I am.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Based Feral Interactive - first GRID Autosports on Switch now this.
Hope this isnt their last Switch adaptation.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Please people, if you're even slightly interested in this, buy it, you won't regret it. It's fantastic, and maybe this will push for a sequel.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Haven't watched the video yet but... wow! That's a strong title!

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Just comparing the keyboard here, you'd think they'd labelled the consoles wrong, but nope.

9FVP7A9.png

QuantumZebra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Please people, if you're even slightly interested in this, buy it, you won't regret it. It's fantastic, and maybe this will push for a sequel.

This. It is the best survival horror game I've played since RE2. It's the best Alien game ever made, and SCARY as hell.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
A lot of recent Switch games have strangely omitted this option entirely, dropping back to stereo sound only. That's not the case here - Isolation takes full advantage of the Switch's surround sound capabilities and the good news is that the sound quality is on par with the PlayStation 4 version.

Heck yeah

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Can't tell if this shows the strength of the Switch or that the PS4 version was just not great.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
What I saw of this port already, Switch couldn't always hold 30 fps in cutscenes that the PS4 had no problems with, but if dips were happening in actual gameplay they were incredibly rare. Not sure when I'll get time to watch the DF video, but I'm eager to get through it. IQ is no contest.

Oct 27, 2017
That's crazy!

Those developers might be using magic. Or the original developers didn't do a good job on PS4 version.

One thing is for sure, this is really interesting.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Wait really?

How is this possible!?

The gist of it is that there is almost an entire console generation between these ports. While the Switch has weaker hardware, post-FX antialiasing and other postprocessing algorithms to improve image quality have evolved massively since 2014 and are on display in the Switch version.

To put it like this, would the PS4 port been released today, it'd most likely have better IQ than the Switch version if both used the same techniques to produce high image quality.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
That's really incredible, well done on the development team for their accomplishment. I'm not much of a horror gamer but I am kind of interested in trying this one eventually, just at a much lower price. Weirdly it's the kind of game I would usually get on PS4 so the idea the Switch version is the one to go with is pretty crazy.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just comparing the keyboard here, you'd think they'd labelled the consoles wrong, but nope.

9FVP7A9.png
err

the switch version just looks like sharpness cranked

look at the name brand at the bottom of the monitor. you can barely make out the word "system" on the Switch

also, look at the right side of the monitor screen. the ps4 version has better AA there.

that beibg said overall the ps4 version looked like someone smeared vasaline all over it.

Last edited:

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Weird.

Was the PS4 version outsourced?
If not I guess they used the PS3 version as a base then.
this generation there was a shift into using TAA in games to clear out all the edges, i am pretty sure it wasnt used in most of last gen era titles.
this game was cross gen so they didnt use TAA in the game yet, but I guess the developers of the port implemented TAA to improve image quality.
EDIT:
if i am wrong and its not whats happening then please correct me, i cant watch the video right now so i am just guessing.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018

This.

Play it on PC for 60 FPS people, it runs on a toaster and should've been 60 on current consoles (probably would have today with pro/x).

It's cool tense game, if a bit overlong.

If you're at all an Alien(s) fan, it's essential

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
err

the switch version just looks like sharpness cranked

look at the name brand at the bottom of the monitor. you can barely make out the word "system" on the Switch

also, look at the right side of the monitor screen. the ps4 version has better AA there.
There are zero sharpening artifacts in the switch screen.

And the sub pixel shimmering in the PS4 version is awful in motion, and the Switch doesn't suffer it at all.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Wow this is great. I love this game and wish they'd make a sequel that wasn't cross gen. Will buy another copy!

It is easily the most aesthetically accomplished licensed game ever. It looks so faithful to film sets.