• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

Article:

www.eurogamer.net

Alan Wake Remastered: can the 360 classic cut it on PS5 and Xbox Series consoles?

Pick up a flashlight, grab a thermos and get your typewriters ready because it's time to return to Bright Falls - with …

For Xbox Series X and PS5, the native resolution is boosted to a 2560x1440 target. Interestingly, we keep the 4x MSAA
As for Xbox Series S? Perhaps not surprisingly, 1080p is the render target. The rest of the comparison points between the three are minimal based on close testing: shadows, textures and lighting upgrades all benefit from the remaster in equal measure, and there isn't much to split the three consoles here.
big battles using the flare gun, for example, pull performance down to the 50s, and very, very occasionally under that.
Both Xbox Series console also exhibit some tearing at the top of the screen.
PS5 seems to behave similarly to Series X, the difference being that there's no tearing but a slightly higher degree of v-sync stutter. All round, it's a decent showing a majority of the time on all three machines - just don't expect a rock-solid lock at 60fps here, as things currently stand.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
There's something about this game, despite its kind of ho hum albeit solid gameplay loop, that just stuck with me. The art, writing, and atmosphere maybe. I'm not sure I like what they've done with his face - he kind of looks like an animatronic at a Disney ride. I think it's the eyes and skin.

Guess it's a choice between tearing on XSX or marginally worse framerate on PS5. He doesn't mention if VRR does anything for the tearing, which it sometimes does.

Last edited:

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
Genuinely gobsmacked that Series X and PS5 are running at 1440p. An 11 year, 2 generation old game...

Oh and those model changes, eeesh. awful.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Genuinely gobsmacked that Series X and PS5 are running at 1440p. An 11 year, 2 generation old game...
Yeah, it's ridiculous. A game with this level of visuals should be 4K/60 at minimum on next gen consoles, if not 4K/120.

Remedy games always run like shit though, so I can't say this is a shocker.

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
User Warned: Hostility

Oh and those model changes, eeesh. awful.
It's… Like, very much reworked up to modern standards though? Sure they've used some base assets to assist with the translation to current gen but it's not like they've just slapped the old games onto the new consoles.

Use your brain.

Scently

Oct 27, 2017
It's… Like, very much reworked up to modern standards though? Sure they've used some base assets to assist with the translation to current gen but it's not like they've just slapped the old games onto the new consoles.

Use your brain.
The XSS is running at 1080p. The XSX and PS5 should be running at at least 3x that res and not less than twice the res of the XSS. It makes no sense.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020

Use your brain.

Modern standards? You have a very, very low bar.

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Use your brain.
All you have to do is look at the game to see that these modern consoles should run at a higher resolution in comparison to what we're seeing on screen. That's all it really takes.

Grips

Oct 5, 2020
Mainframe
Man Alan Wake is prob my favorite game on 360 next to Halo 3.
Still waiting on my physical ps5 copy, was really a bitch to find one for some reason here in Canada.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Would be interested to see PC benchmarks of the original vs remaster at the same resolution. Just to try and see how much more taxing this remaster is and to try and understand why it's only 1440p on PS5/XSX and 1080p on XSS.

RobbRivers

Jan 3, 2018
One of my favorite 360 games but i find it subpar on new gen without American Nightmare, no HDR and 1440p for next gen machines. At least price is really good, so ir compensates other things. Much better than Shenmue 1 & 2 remasters, that where done by the same company, right?

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
This video is really disappointing in that they didn't touch on the PC version. Also didn't really detail the changes the lighting system in any sort of deep dive.

Hopefully they do a 2nd video where they detail the changes in a more profound way.

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
The game is running on its original engine and is still from an era where multi-threading was in its infancy. Throwing that code onto a modern low power APU isn't going to just let it fly at 100+ fps because it wasn't designed to take advantage of all those processing threads. It's important to have some perspective when discussing this kind of content.

Here's a review of how this game performed on PCs of its era that can explain some of the idiosyncrasies you'll see in the remaster today: https://www.dsogaming.com/pc-performance-analyses/alan-wake-pc-performance-analysis/

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
I guess the performance issues aren't too surprising when it's running on the original engine, but this part got me...

ReOtfd7.jpg

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
lol what!? I'm not even the poster you're quoting but there was clearly zero implication of "lazy devs" there.

No.

In fact a quick google sees a 1660 super performing above 60fps at 1440p using an i5 cpu.
I'm just saying that a remaster of a 2 generation old game that clearly has had some work gone into it running at 1440p shouldn't be grounds to be "gobsmacked". It looks pretty reasonable to me to be completely honest.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Im loving my time with it right now, I remember playing it like 6 years ago but the resolution was so fucking low. I just wonder why the cutscenes run so bad on ps5, makes for a laugh sometimes.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
I'm playing it for the first time and enjoying it. Glad it was only $30, considering how much further other remakes/remasters have gone, but this is passable for me.

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing it for the first time and enjoying it. Glad it was only $30, considering how much further other remakes/remasters have gone, but this is passable for me.
I'm enjoying it well enough, but I think $30 is too high of an asking price for what we got with this one.

The Mass Effect trilogy for example was $60 and they went way beyond what's been done here.

TheXboxPost

Banned
Oct 1, 2021
This is a pattern for Remedy at this point. Control should've ran at 60fps with ray tracing, now this should run at 4K60 at the bare minimum... Yeah, I'm not a fan of these decisions.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Use your brain.

The game is still stuck in the old engine. Its still very much stuck using old rendering techniques. There's no PBR materials. No RT. There really isn't anything " modern standards" about this remaster. It's a Res/frame rate bump with some better models. And even that is debatable. Higher poly, sure. But Alan looks derpy as fuck now.

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a pattern for Remedy at this point. Control should've ran at 60fps with ray tracing, now this should run at 4K60 at the bare minimum... Yeah, I'm not a fan of these decisions.
Quantum Break had all kinds of visual/performance issues as well on both Xbox and PC.

I'd blame the Northlight engine but Alan Wake didn't use that engine.

TheXboxPost

Banned
Oct 1, 2021

Control is either 1440p60fps or 1440p30fps. I can't see Control not pushing for 4K60fps or 1440p60fps RT when a much more impressive games like Miles Morales or Metro Exodus do it.

I know comparisons like those are not really comparable, but you can't help ask yourself how is it possible.

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
You should be barred from any and all technical discussions for allowing drivel to just fall from your brain and onto your keyboard without a second thought.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting.

For me, I'd say 100% play this is you've never played Alan Wake before. It's amazing. Seems like a perfectly competent remaster. It'll be fine.

It doesn't feel like something I need to rush out and buy as someone who's played the game through a couple of times before, though.

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna double dip as soon as I have a PS5.
I guess the performance issues aren't too surprising when it's running on the original engine, but this part got me...

ReOtfd7.jpg
I really wish they left the face like it was.

Sure the idea of a consistent face is cool but the actor's face looks goofy instead of realistic. Should have updates the facial animation if they wanted to update the face.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Control is either 1440p60fps or 1440p30fps. I can't see Control not pushing for 4K60fps or 1440p60fps RT when a much more impressive games like Miles Morales or Metro Exodus do it.

I know comparisons like those are not really comparable, but you can't help ask yourself how is it possible.

Do all of the reflective environments in Exodus and Miles deform or break down like the walls and floors in Control?