• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly this could be dubbed as a DF Retro as well, John puts in a lot of information about the series's past in the video too.

It's been 12 years since the last series entry, but Ace Combat is back, bolstered by Unreal Engine 4 and looking utterly spectacular. In this extended video, John takes a look at the series' history and runs the rule over every single version of the game.

Subscribe for more Digital Foundry: http://bit.ly/DFSubscribe

Join the DF Patreon, support the team more directly and get access to everything we produce in pristine quality: https://www.digitalfoundry.net

Summary:

AC: V
- The Ace Combat V version added as a pre order acts as somewhat of a remaster instead of just a PS2 Classic (17GB size as opposed to 3GB on PS2)
- HUD, wide screen videos etc are worked around instead of just straight emulation (seemingly)

AC: VII
- Game uses Unreal Engine 4
- All new models, textures created from scratch
- New additions like volumetric cloud cover adds not just visual eye candy, but used in game play as well.
- Weather can also impact flight performance
- Object density is increased but pop-in is visible at times.
- Game targets 60 FPS on all consoles

- Resolution: Base XBO is 720p (including HUD). Base PS4: 972p
- XBX - and PS4 both native 1080p
- Volumetric clouds appear slightly lower resolution on XBO than other platforms
- PC version supports 16 : 9 out of the box, no UW support built-in
- FXAA is the only AA option on PC version
- Most of the HUD elements on PC are rendered on 1080p despite raising native to 4K

- Huge disparity in performance on all 3 versions
- Sample mission tested: PS4 Pro and XBX are locked 60 FPS
- Base PS4 Hovers below 60 FPS showing slight juddering.
- XBO avg frame rate is lower than base PS4 by a large margin
- Sample mission 2: Pro holds is 60 FPS most of the time with mild judder
- Sample mission 2: XBX performs slower than Pro
- Base PS4 not tested but assumed should be similar to above results
- Base XBO worst performing version by a good margin.

- Using Sleep Mode can cause additional performance issues which can be fixed by restarting the system before playing.

- Verdict: PS4 Pro -> XBX -> Base PS4 -> Base XBO

Last edited:

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Honestly it's impressive they managed to get the Xbox One X to run worse than the Pro while both running at 1080p. There is something very wrong going on here

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so glad that they prioritized framerate over resolution for the Pro and X enhancements. "4K" is pointless if games can't run at a locked 60fps.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly it's impressive they managed to get the Xbox One X to run worse than the Pro while both running at 1080p. There is something very wrong going on here
Agreed. As I said before, VR probably pushed them to optimize further on PS4 + Xbox just doesn't get much love in Japan.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
Can't wait to watch this. AC on Psone was one of my favourite franchises, so I hope it's a return to form.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised Dark1x had access to the PC version. Why the shit was it delayed two weeks then. :/

I'm so glad that they prioritized framerate over resolution for the Pro and X enhancements. "4K" is pointless if games can't run at a locked 60fps.
Indeed. The Ace Combat team has its priorities straight. Unlike other/most dev teams. *spits*

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Summary:

AC: V
- The Ace Combat V version added as a pre order acts as somewhat of a remaster instead of just a PS2 Classic (17GB size as opposed to 3GB on PS2)
- HUD, wide screen videos etc are worked around instead of just straight emulation (seemingly)

AC: VII
- Game uses Unreal Engine 4
- All new models, textures created from scratch
- New additions like volumetric cloud cover adds not just visual eye candy, but used in game play as well.
- Weather can also impact flight performance
- Object density is increased but pop-in is visible at times.
- Game targets 60 FPS on all consoles

- Resolution: Base XBO is 720p (including HUD). Base PS4: 972p
- XBX - and PS4 both native 1080p
- Volumetric clouds appear slightly lower resolution on XBO than other platforms
- PC version supports 16 : 9 out of the box, no UW support built-in
- FXAA is the only AA option on PC version
- Most of the HUD elements on PC are rendered on 1080p despite raising native to 4K

- Huge disparity in performance on all 3 versions
- Sample mission tested: PS4 Pro and XBX are locked 60 FPS
- Base PS4 Hovers below 60 FPS showing slight juddering.
- XBO avg frame rate is lower than base PS4 by a large margin
- Sample mission 2: Pro holds is 60 FPS most of the time with mild judder
- Sample mission 2: XBX performs slower than Pro
- Base PS4 not tested but assumed should be similar to above results
- Base XBO worst performing version by a good margin.

- Using Sleep Mode can cause additional performance issues which can be fixed by restarting the system before playing.

- Verdict: PS4 Pro -> XBX -> Base PS4 -> Base XBO

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
HOLY JEBUS, last AC was really 12 years ago?

Well I guess in terms of numbered releases(AC6), but there was AC Infinity just a few years ago on PS3, and before that Assault Horizon like in 2011 I think? Also both 3DS and PSP had some enhanced ports of older games respectively.

MBS

Oct 25, 2017
Base PS4 should've been somewhat closer to locked 60fps. They didn't optimize the game well based on what I'm reading.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
It's kind of nuts how much of a better package AC7 seems to be on PS4 Pro than the Xbox One X. Runs better, comes with the better pack in bonus title, has VR support.

I guess it makes sense though when you realize it's a Japanese developed title, Xbox isn't super hot over there.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: “Lazy Devs” Rhetoric. Please review our FAQ.
Agreed. As I said before, VR probably pushed them to optimize further on PS4 + Xbox just doesn't get much love in Japan.

Typical, and the PC version does't sound too impressive either. Looks good but I'm going to wait for a deep deep sale, sick of Japanese publishers being lazy and worse of all PSVR exclusivity for a year.

Pal

Tried to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey John, is this your first game review on Eurogamer? If so, grats! I read it and enjoyed the writing.

In any case, I bought the game on an impulse yesterday. I played AC4 and 5 back in the 2000s and thought they were great titles. Can't consider myself an AC fan though. That said, I really am looking forward to plunge back into AC5 then move on to AC7 since it looks so jawdropping and fun! Plus, it's been so long since I played a flight sim. Last flight game I played was on PS3. I think it was either HAWX or Blazing Angels 2 :/

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP summary doesn't mention it, hows the HDR implementation if any?

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
How the hell FXAA is the only supported method on PC when UE4 has one of the best built-in TAA implementations available?
It's like japanese devs are trolling us now with the lack of / horrible AA solutions in almost all of their games.

Slappy White

Oct 27, 2017
I love these DF comparison videos. They are the best in the business. So I guess the Pro version is the way to go. Disappointed it's not better on X. There's no good excuse for that.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How the hell FXAA is the only supported method on PC when UE4 has one of the best built-in TAA implementations available?
It's like japanese devs are trolling us now with the lack of / horrible AA in almost all of their games.

I guess we are all supposed to feel lucky we even get the game. It's one of the major problems when one system is completely dominating in sales.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Huh. Before this video everyone in the AC7 thread assumed that there was no Pro/X support due it being 1080p only on Pro and X. Turns out we were wrong!

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Can't watch the video right now, but is there anything "bad" about the PC version? As in arguably worse than the console version?

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
For once I might just agree when it comes to this game and it's enhancements.
I dunno, the enhancements over base consoles are MASSIVE.

It's 720p and runs poorly on Xbox One while it's 1080p and mostly locked 60fps on X with just few dips in a couple missions.

It's 972p on PS4 with tons of slowdown as well while it's 1080p and basically 99% locked 60fps on Pro.

The game is gorgeous and super smooth on the enhanced consoles but not nearly as nice on the base systems.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
I can't watch the video atm but does it mention the difference in VR mode with base PS4 and PS4 Pro?

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
I mean...it's decent on Pro. Rock solid frame-rate and higher resolution than base PS4. Big improvement. X isn't where it should be, though.
Actually the X gets the biggest improvement. From 720p 40fps to 1080p 60fps. This is about 3.3x more pixels and inline with many others Xbox games.

The real question is the performance of the base XB1 (720p 40fps). It's really not where it should have being compared to PS4 (972p 55fps) : PS4 pushes about 2.5x more pixels than XB1! This is a lot.

Hitokiri03

Oct 25, 2017
This end gen has not been kind to the base Xbox one. I hope they improve the One X performance thought patches, it should at least match the Pro.

As for the rest of the video I loved the mini DF Retro at beginning, nice work as always Dark1x.

For once I might just agree when it comes to this game and it's enhancements.

It's more like "busy devs" to me, you have to consider that they`re working on varios plafaforms and SKUs simultaneously.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
This end gen has not been kind to the base Xbox one. I hope they improve the One X performance thought patches, it should at least match the Pro.

As for the rest of the video I loved the mini DF Retro at beginning, nice work as always Dark1x.

Not even just the end of the gen, like the entire back half of the gen. I'd honestly say like 80% of the time that I play a game on my One S I am disappointed with the performance on some level.

Deleted member 2507

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Glad i was leaning toward PC version rather than Xbox One version, this seals the deal certainly.
Hopefully it won't come with any weirdness... EDIT FXAA-only aside. But i suppose one can use drivers to force AA?