• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Obviously Star Citizen looks on another level visually but hasn't No Man's Sky already done the whole planet jumping then flying down to it in real time for years?

The server layering has definitely already been done in Classic WoW. It's really cool technology.

The timing of the video is a bit strange (with next gen right around the corner) as are the pot shots towards consoles (nothing new from Alex unfortunately) not being able to handle it when it's more than likely that the PS5 Pro / XB2 X will be out by the time the full SC game is released. We will be looking at 20tflop GPU's in those consoles so they could easily handle it. The standard next gen consoles will be able to handle it with the massive leap in CPU compute.

I really wish Alex would concentrate on the topic at hand rather than playing up to the PC stereotype gamer at times by mocking consoles. I have a PC as my main platform but I've turned many of his videos off after eye rolling 'console warz' comments. It's embarrassing especially when he's representing Digital Foundry which has done a great and professional job of staying away from that whole toxic mess since they started doing YouTube videos.

Great video though overall. The game looks stunning.

Yes, other games have done seamless Space to planet surface, but Star Citizen is pushing more players/entities (50 per server, no instances yet) than No Man's Sky and Elite Dangerous that can support in a single instance (32). I can think of about three other games that support a higher player count than Star Citizen, but they are also in development (Infinity Battlescape is one, forgot the title of the other two).

I don't consider what Alex explained as pot shots towards consoles, but a look into the technical side of what one may consider to be a next-gen console game, with a need for an ssd included. As we all patiently wait for next-gen games to be revealed/developed, what might they look like and how would they behave? Star Citizen is a perfect example of a project beyond what current consoles are capable of, not in terms of graphical fidelity, but content. Thus, it is a good example to show the capabilities of a next-gen console.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
NMS fakes its solar system and planetary bodies. When you are on the planet the sun is behaving like in standard games with day night cycles, when you are in space planets do not rotate and sun is just a skybox, you can never fly to it. It doesnt have a rotation. Also there is clear 'loading' when you are approaching ground, so transition is not seemless, in Star Citizen if object on the planet is big enough you can see it from orbit.
There were games that did seamless transition from space to ground, like original Elite, new Elite or a 'little' game called Evochron, but non of those do have micro detail and multiple bioms on those planets.

Thats not it. WoW is fully instanced and have zones separated by loading. They also have restrictions to amount of players per shard. I think Guild Wars 2 would be better example.
But its not interactive world, you cannot take some stuff to your arms from one part of the world, travel and drop it somewhere else and every player that will go to the location that you dropped the item will see it.

What server meshing will be is seamless distribution of servers for zones in the solar system.
To better explain it, i need to explain first Object Container Streaming technology they developed:
0c047079-676a-40c9-824a-33edc9576aa7.png

Basically it containerize parts of the world and allow communication between those all assets within that bubble inside between zones below and above it.
So for example all rooms in the building are separate containers, then you have big container for a whole building, then you a landing zone that is a container containing all buildings containers and then your container is a whole planet with everything within.
This system is dynamic depending on the needs and distance, so for example closer you get to space station the more containers you load and the more granular the simulation is.
They already have it working client side, they are finishing server side part of it and then they will be incorporating dynamic allocation of servers to server based containers, so for example you have a cluster of space stations nearby that have one player on each station, so in this situation you only need one server to handle simulation of those objects and those players
In other case 100 players spawn on each of those space station, now every space station get their own server dynamically, but those servers still communicate with each other, so you have a party members on different space station you can still communicate like you would on the same server. Of course this is not restricted to objects, it can also containerize space, so for example you have quite a bigger battle, but cluster of ships are separated, then every cluster of ships get its own bubble with own server, separation should be similar to how the EVE Online handles the visible grid, but EVE cannot containerize it, so at most they can have one server per system.
This will create illusion that game only have one server, like in EVE, where everybody plays and can interact.

Very fascinating and interesting thanks! Could this eventually become the defacto standard for MMOs making different realms a thing of the past aside from geolocation?

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't consider what Alex explained as pot shots towards consoles, but a look into the technical side of what one may consider to be a next-gen console game, with a need for an ssd included. As we all patiently wait for next-gen games to be revealed/developed, what might they look like and how would they behave? Star Citizen is a perfect example of a project beyond what current consoles are capable of, not in terms of graphical fidelity, but content. Thus, it is a good example to show the capabilities of a next-gen console.

It's by no means this video alone, it's the chuckle, the snide remark, the Crysis surrounded by candles which all feeds in to the "Master Race" type PC gamer persona which most of us just aren't like.

It's just a personal pet peeve. He's a great guy with incredible knowledge I just find those things annoying and pretty cringe worthy now I'm approaching my 40's. Personal taste I guess.

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would play more if my progress didn't reset at each quarterly update. It's an impressive game but I don't have time to grind up to nicer ships only to loose them later, and I'm not dropping hundreds of dollars either. I also think the devs are a little out of alignment on the FPS focus. People are playing this for the space ship factor. Tons of FPS games exist and play better. We're not here for bunker raids. They need to focus more on trading/smuggling/mining imo. Those experiences should be far richer than the commodity spreadsheets they currently are.

Yeah, I don't agree with all of this but it's a good post. The gameplay at this point is just too shallow with nothing really to actually engage in, sure it's fine for a while to do some bunker raids with friends or run around a cave and mine, but after the first few times there doesn't really seem to be anything actually making you feel you're in a world. Smuggling should be an involved process and not you just selling cargo that happens to be marked illegal at a terminal. At the same time, it's the nature of playing a game that doesn't have all it's intended features, and is still dealing with tech hurdles to make all that gameplay possible though. FPS is one of the "easiest" things to do and they already support a lot of things that tie into it, but the goal is that there's a lot more occupations available to people.

Speaking for myself, I got into Star Citizen because of the on-foot aspect of it, not for the space-sim side!

TheTrinity

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I don't agree with all of this but it's a good post. The gameplay at this point is just too shallow with nothing really to actually engage in, sure it's fine for a while to do some bunker raids with friends or run around a cave and mine, but after the first few times there doesn't really seem to be anything actually making you feel you're in a world. Smuggling should be an involved process and not you just selling cargo that happens to be marked illegal at a terminal. At the same time, it's the nature of playing a game that doesn't have all it's intended features, and is still dealing with tech hurdles to make all that gameplay possible though. FPS is one of the "easiest" things to do and they already support a lot of things that tie into it, but the goal is that there's a lot more occupations available to people.

Speaking for myself, I got into Star Citizen because of the on-foot aspect of it, not for the space-sim side!

I think even calling it shallow is a bit of an overstatement. There's barely anything there worth calling gameplay in the first place. It's been 6-7 years and they still keep referencing working on base-level tech stuff. Meanwhile they've implemented caves for some reason (???) while what should be the core experience of the game (flying ships around) is quite buggy and boring.

If this is actually supposed to be an MMO then the 50 player limit is not even close to being workable and the servers still end up in an unusable state after a certain period of time up and running.

For whoever said it a page or 2 back, do not under any circumstances build a PC for this game. People were doing that 4-5 years ago and have been obsoleted twice over while waiting for a release.

Honestly don't understand a single person who is still putting money into this thing. For raising ~250 million dollars they really don't have a lot to show for it. If I thought it was worth it I would try and get a refund for my $30.

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
After Red Dead Redemption 2 I'm convinced that a good chunk of gamers just don't care about fun, all they want is spectacle.

They just want to ''be impressed'' as if they're on a tour.
I absolutely agree. I was wowed by the scope of RDR2 but utterly bored by the actuality.
Feature creep and time has introduced spec creep. A top of the video card in 2013 was the GTX 980. The game is still in Alpha and that card is a GTX2080TI. If you want a gaming PC for other games, go for it.
I didn't realise it was that long since the first Alpha. Six years and a quarter of a billion dollars later, still no truly playable game. That's insane. No wonder crowdfunders are unsettled.
Don't build a gaming PC today for a game that is going to come out in 2022 at the earliest.
Thanks for the advice. I'll hold off until it releases, if it ever releases, and I've seen some reviews. Generally nothing good comes of something that long in development.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Alex did a great job with this video. The game isnt yet a game and its dev cycle is concerning but this is a tech showcase only. Its valid especially in showing off what devs will be able to do with modern hardware on ps5 with actual games and proper dev workflows and an industry supported by widespread adoption. FF7R2 on ps5 is looking super tasty.

Most of what alex talked about in that vid was concerning tech that wont just be for enthusiast users anymore with third gen HD twins

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
Ok, I will edit the engine part out.

Still, while the game definitely looks good judging from the video. It's not really ''next gen'' looking.

I wonder how it's gonna fare against the actual next gen titles. Cause I am pretty sure that's when SC will be released.
Tech they are using doesn't really lend itself for most of the pre-computation methods, so it is hard for them to get something like lighting of Assasin Creed: Unity.
Yup, it will be interesting to see how they will manage against other games.

Currently it does seem to run quite nicely, at least on my RTX2070 and Ryzen 2.
at 1440p it seem to be around 40-70fps in many cases.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
It's by no means this video alone, it's the chuckle, the snide remark, the Crysis surrounded by candles which all feeds in to the "Master Race" type PC gamer persona which most of us just aren't like.

It's just a personal pet peeve. He's a great guy with incredible knowledge I just find those things annoying and pretty cringe worthy now I'm approaching my 40's. Personal taste I guess.
The Crysis Thing is more referenceto how it is legitimatelx one of my favourite games of all time - it is the Butt of jokes internally at DF. Believe me, i actually dislike all the pcmr Stuff, i have written about it quite a lot on Twitter or here

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
Meanwhile they've implemented caves for some reason (???) while what should be the core experience of the game (flying ships around) is quite buggy and boring.
I disagree that flying is buggy and boring, actually i think that flying is the most polished and iterated component (as it should be).
Caves were introduced with harvastable items and FPS mining and are pretty source of income for people without specialized ships. It basically added new gameplay style to the game. It also makes planet more interesting from exploration standpoint.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Obviously Star Citizen looks on another level visually but hasn't No Man's Sky already done the whole planet jumping then flying down to it in real time for years?

The server layering has definitely already been done in Classic WoW. It's really cool technology.

The timing of the video is a bit strange (with next gen right around the corner) as are the pot shots towards consoles (nothing new from Alex unfortunately) not being able to handle it when it's more than likely that the PS5 Pro / XB2 X will be out by the time the full SC game is released. We will be looking at 20tflop GPU's in those consoles so they could easily handle it. The standard next gen consoles will be able to handle it with the massive leap in CPU compute.

I really wish Alex would concentrate on the topic at hand rather than playing up to the PC stereotype gamer at times by mocking consoles. I have a PC as my main platform but I've turned many of his videos off after eye rolling 'console warz' comments. It's embarrassing especially when he's representing Digital Foundry which has done a great and professional job of staying away from that whole toxic mess since they started doing YouTube videos.

So it's hard to really explain how incredible it is, to be able to walk around a ship and do various things, interact with consoles, gun seats, controls etc. While someone else is in the cockpit flying around, or jumping across space or entering atmosphere. No other game even comes close in my opinion to that kind of system of objects and players in relation. Sea of Thieves manages this to a lesser degree and it's still incredibly impressive.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure the technology behind this game is really impressive and a taste of what's to come in next gen. But boy, almost fell asleep at that gameplay, if you can even call it that. Hopefully it will be a fun game by the time it's finished.

Deleted member 5457

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I have to agree about the Alex part, unfortunately.

His knowledge is admirable, but those kind of comments and general tone somehow cheapened digital foundry videos.

Like some "new kid" came with his rules. He sells it as humor, but it's clear that he's not joking. Richard even accepts and approves his approach, which I dislike too. John stayed above all that

That type of "pc master race" talk (not literally) is the worst we got from internet, so it would be really nice if digital foundry stayed away from it.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND

His knowledge is admirable, but those kind of comments and general tone somehow cheapened digital foundry videos.

Like some "new kid" came with his rules. Richard even accepts and approves his approach, which I dislike too. John stayed above all that.

That type of "pc master race" talk (not literally) is the worst we got from internet, so it would be really nice if digital foundry stayed away from it.
Before condeming my apparent personality? Can you please tell me, seriously, when and where in videos that I engage in PCMR like behaviour? Because I am pretty sure it will be impossible to find.
I actively avoid that stuff - and if you are noticing anything of the sort, then please I would like to know where and when.

For example, in this script I say this
Being PC exclusive means that its development goals and visual features are not statically attached to 7 year console cycles, hardware, or periphery support. This is a rare thing, as Star Citizen is targeting AAA graphics and simulation on CPUs and GPUs which are decidedly faster than those found in the PS4 or Xbox One X, and it is a moving target, only getting faster over time. This allows the game to have technical goals not doable on that console hardware. The entire core design of the game is enabled through its lofty minimum hardware requirements: applying and enhancing the level of ambition from the incredibly large, all the way down to the incredibly small micro details the game is achieving.
Which is pretty much innocuous and a statement of fact. If I replaced PC exclusive, with Xbox Scarlett exclusive... or went back in time the launch of X1x or PS4 and added those in instead of PC exclusive it would have a similar level of merit (well excluding the bit about specs increasing over time, impossible for consoles).

Does that honestly sound "PC master race" to you? To me it just sounds like a very plain fact.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
This game didn't impress in 2014 and it still doesn't impress 5 years later. I'm way more excited by this Unity demo than 5 years of make believes from SC. I'm sure once next gen open world games come out it's gonna make SC hopelessly feel last gen.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Like some "new kid" came with his rules. He sells it as humor, but it's clear that he's not joking. Richard even accepts and approves his approach, which I dislike too. John stayed above all that

I have never heard Alex say anything about PC master race, he just compares the PC to the consoles in a neutral way which is why a lot of people watch DF. I don't see your point

Deleted member 5457

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Before condeming my apparent personality? Can you please tell me, seriously, when and where in videos that I engage in PCMR like behaviour? Because I am pretty sure it will be impossible to find.
I actively avoid that stuff - and if you are noticing anything of the sort, then please I would like to know where and when.

It's in every video, honestly. No need to pinpoint anything when the tone is of that type all the time. It is clear.

But, my intention is not to disqualify you with this - I like your work and I think you can add a lot to the DF team. But this is unnecessary.

And again, it's not the shittiest, literal pc master race stuff, you're smarter than that, but you're doing it.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
It's in every video, honestly. No need to pinpoint anything when the tone is of that type all the time. It is clear.

But, my intention is not to disqualify you with this - I like your work and I think you can add a lot to the DF team. But this is unnecessary.
Thanks for saying you enjoy my work. But I am not super happy with you saying that said tone is obvious with you not having the requirement to pinpoint it. If you are going to say something accusatory, it helps to actually back it up with quoting or examples. In the end it is my work, and I have my reputation and DFs reputation there to consider.

I think you can see what I mean.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017

And again, it's not the shittiest, literal pc master race stuff, you're smarter than that, but you're doing it.
Honestly I think you're imagining it. Unless you're that insecure that simply pointing out some of the benefits of high-end PC gaming is upsetting to you?

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Thanks for saying you enjoy my work. But I am not super happy with you saying that said tone is obvious with you not having the requirement to pinpoint it. If you are going to say something accusatory, it helps to actually back it up with quoting or examples. In the end it is my work, and I have my reputation and DFs reputation there to consider.

Ive never gotten that vibe from you or your work, only thing i think it could possibly be are the crysis jokes? Maybe if hes new to the scene they resonate with him in a different way than intended.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
This game didn't impress in 2014 and it still doesn't impress 5 years later. I'm way more excited by this Unity demo than 5 years of make believes from SC. I'm sure once next gen open world games come out it's gonna make SC hopelessly feel last gen.

You are looking purley from a graphics standpoint, where there are many games that surpasses SC.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I wish Squad 42 came out earlier, i feel like this is going to be FEAR 2.0, a somewhat next gen game, released just months before next gen consoles raised the bar.
I understand SC itself may take longer, but the single player was hinted to be out a lot quicker.

Matty H

Oct 31, 2017

Which is pretty much innocuous and a statement of fact. If I replaced PC exclusive, with Xbox Scarlett exclusive... or went back in time the launch of X1x or PS4 and added those in instead of PC exclusive it would have a similar level of merit (well excluding the bit about specs increasing over time, impossible for consoles).

Does that honestly sound "PC master race" to you? To me it just sounds like a very plain fact.
I get put off by that PCMR stuff and have to say, I haven't smelled the faintest whiff of it in any of your videos.

As you said, it is all fact based, and I find the informative tone quite pleasant.

Deleted member 5457

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 day): hostility

Let's not take this too far. I didn't even plan to say it, but when other user mentioned it, I just agreed. I don't mean disrespect.

I'll say it very directly: you're a smart guy and you know what you're doing. And you're doing "your little pc thing" :D in every second of every video. That's my view :D.

Some of us see it, some obviously don't (as you can see by the posts).

But, you're making those videos for viewers I guess, and as I'm the one that watches EVERY DF video, I guess it's for me too and I have the right to express my opinion.

No harm done, let's not derail this completely.

Last edited:

Nekyrrev

Oct 28, 2017
And you're doing "your little pc thing" :D in every second of every video. That's my view :D.

But, you're making those videos for viewers I guess, and as I'm the one that watches EVERY DF video, I guess it's for me too and I have the right to express my opinion.
What does that even mean?
You are seeing things that are not there.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017

As much as i like this demo, it looks worse than ArcCorp or Loreville in the end.
But hold on your judgment, because I think you will be very surprised by graphics when they show fully polished Squadron 42 footage :) Its more a polished AAA experience, so hero characters, hero zones, hero lighting, polished paths, set pieces etc that you normally see in big games.

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
I can only laugh if you really don't think this is coming to console eventually.

Good luck with that. I'm all for games coming to consoles, but without a Steel Battalion like situation, I don't see it happening.

also, I have my doubts that even the upcoming consoles, powerful as they may be, would sufficiently run the game..

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Good luck with that. I'm all for games coming to consoles, but without a Steel Battalion like situation, I don't see it happening.

also, I have my doubts that even the upcoming consoles, powerful as they may be, would sufficiently run the game..

Next gen machines will in architecture and power be much closer to pc high end and utilizing far more features than current gen from last gen...moores law being just one issue. Unless you expect only 1% of people to play the finished product if it ever comes out i think its reasonable to assume the game could run on next gen machines.

As alex says in the video..things like ssd as one example which this game inherently takes advantage of will be a common utilization of devs in the next hd twins. Its a barrier to entree larger than just power for current gen but next gen will be easy to hop over

Last edited:

laxu

Nov 26, 2017

I think next gen consoles would do just fine, but with lower player limits, lower graphics settings, lower resolution etc. Which is nothing new for console vs PC.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Let's not take this too far. I didn't even plan to say it, but when other user mentioned it, I just agreed. I don't mean disrespect.

I'll say it very directly: you're a smart guy and you know what you're doing. And you're doing "your little pc thing" :D in every second of every video. That's my view :D.

No harm done, let's not derail this completely.
Well then we shall leave it at the rest taht it is. THanks though for taking the time to respond back in the manner you have - it means a lot to me!
Ive never gotten that vibe from you or your work, only thing i think it could possibly be are the crysis jokes? Maybe if hes new to the scene they resonate with him in a different way than intended.

Nov 11, 2017
Software
This game

It doesn't. I watched the video and i think that user is being realllllllllly sensitive.

That dude is seeing things that are not there. That happens when someone is too emotionally invested in something..

Last edited:

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017

If 2070 class GPUs and 8 core Zen 2 processors cant run it its going to bomb. Unless it comes out very late into the console generation which is possible.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't realise it was that long since the first Alpha. Six years and a quarter of a billion dollars later, still no truly playable game. That's insane. No wonder crowdfunders are unsettled.
Actually most of crowdfunders are pleased with the game and its progress, it's a pretty patient community. The hate you see online is mostly from people that haven't even bought the game ($45).

Jul 17, 2018
Actually most of crowdfunders are pleased with the game and its progress, it's a pretty patient community. The hate you see online is mostly from people that haven't even bought the game ($45).

By 'crowdfunders' you probably mean people who haven't asked for a refund yet. There was a dude (Bootcha) who invested $100,000 and got his money back few years ago. Also, from yesterday:
UY0cLb5.png

NuMiQ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Ah yes, 2 examples of people in a sea of over a million backers. Really strong point you have there :P
Also, those tweets are fine ofc, I got the same e-mail. But I've been flying that ship all patch long now, by just renting and eventually buying it ingame.
I'm always legit surprised how easy it is to not spend money I don't want to spend.

Jazar

Oct 25, 2017
South Florida
I've been a bakcer since day one and this video made me get the latest client and see how it runs on my 980 w SSD.

FPS was < 10 in 1080 res and lowest settings. Then it crashed to desktop and repeated attempts to restart CTD again. So I can't play this game

cyress8

Avenger
I've been a bakcer since day one and this video made me get the latest client and see how it runs on my 980 w SSD.

FPS was < 10 in 1080 res and lowest settings. Then it crashed to desktop and repeated attempts to restart CTD again. So I can't play this game
What cpu and how much ram? 30+ fps should the norm for you if you have a pretty good cpu and at minimum 16gb of ram.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND

That seems rather unrepresentative for your GPU hardware - you should perhaps verify game data using the RSI launcher and make sure you have more than 8 GB of System RAM freed up for the game to run. What is your CPU? Or reinstall it if it is not working.

Jazar

Oct 25, 2017
South Florida
What cpu and how much ram? 30+ fps should the norm for you if you have a pretty good cpu and at minimum 16gb of ram.

That seems rather unrepresentative for your GPU hardware - you should perhaps verify game data using the RSI launcher and make sure you have more than 8 GB of System RAM freed up for the game to run. What is your CPU? Or reinstall it if it is not working.

It's a gaming laptop. (ok i stretched when i just said 980 )

CPU i7-4710MQ
GPU GTX 980M 8.0GB
RAM 16GB DDR3 1600MHz
HD Samsung 850 EVO SSD