• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nekyrrev

Oct 28, 2017
I'm more interested in Squadron 42 myself but it feels like that one isn't the priority right now when it should be.
It actually is, as it is what most of their workforce is working on right now. But they are keeping it behind closed doors, only teasing things once every year basically (like the trailer last year). There's a lot more talk about Star Citizen because it's a live product being regularly updated now.

cyress8

Avenger
This vid shows both how incredibly far they have come and simultaneously how incredibly far they're still away from having an actual game.
I'm more interested in Squadron 42 myself but it feels like that one isn't the priority right now when it should be.
That is what they are focusing on. They are developing the mechanics for both since everything you can do in 42 can also been done in the MMO, but story and mission content is mainly being built for s42. Beta for it coming next year.

I just want them to hurry back to focusing on the MMO side. I want to use that giant claw on my reclaimer.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Representative by the ambitious technological feats and new ways of simulating game worlds.
Ambitious technological feats that require so many years of developments... To develop an immensely time consuming MMO that only hardcore enthusiasts will like?

There's always the talk, each gen, about those "massive, persistent worlds". Who cares? Why do people think each new gen that every game is going to be Second Life in space?

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
I used to be so excited for a spiritual successor to wing commander, and now I'm in an endless loop of reading defenses of a weird mmo tech demo that will probably never fully release in a meaningful way.

It's fun to see the tech analyzed I guess.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ambitious technological feats that require so many years of developments... To develop an immensely time consuming MMO that only hardcore enthusiasts will like?

There's always the talk, each gen, about those "massive, persistent worlds". Who cares? Why do people think each new gen that every game is going to be Second Life in space?
Imagine a Bethesda game with not a single loading screen.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah technically, this looks super impressive! Thanks for this Alex. I also admire the ambition of the project, that said they have a lot of resources and are taking a lot of time, so hopefully things pull together. the level of detail and scale is top tier. The lighting in general is also good, although some of it looks off to me. I think next gen we will get games with better fidelity, animation, proximate geometry, etc. But this thing isn't likely to be beaten on scale.
They will be improving technology and fidelity in the future, so it a moving target ;p
Some examples from top of my head:
- just recently they finished working on new hair tech and whole production pipeline for it
- they are doing an R&D on photogrammetry tech for planetary assets
- they are working on better bright light representation and curve, so snowy planets or very bright conditions are better represented
- they finished or are finishing (do not remember ;p) new material system
- they are working on full Global Illumination tech, because current one is single bounce and only works from the sun (this one could be on hold currently)
- they just released new screenspace based global illumination tech for flashlights, something inline with what TLOU was doing
- they are completely reworking shadowing system to better handle long distance and large objects, as well microscale objects
- they are working on new full on volumetric fog system for ground terrain
- they will be working (i do not know the progress on this one) on weather and clouds effects for planets
- they are working on pull/push mechanics in zero-G and improvements to movement animation on stairs

----
The tech looks impressive -- but will it still be impressive when the game actually releases? By the time they ship a completed product we will be possibly years into next-generation, and all this advanced tech will pretty much be the standard.
I dont think they will. Of course some of the tech SC is using or developed will be developed/used in other engines, the prime example is double precision cords system, which already is being used in some games like new Flight Sim for example, but not all of them or not to degree that is being used in SC.
Alex only talked about tech in the game in high level manner, but pretty much every tech he covered is required for game to even work or was part of multi years research. Companies cannot just start now and come up with fully working solutions next year or two years from now for many stuff that CIG did, it takes time, very smart people and a lot of trial and error.

Unified 1st and 3rd person animation system for example was being worked on for years. Many engineering core in CIG's Frankfurt office is core team from Crytek and they said that they were working on unified 1st/3rd person animation since Crysis 2.
It actually has 3 hard components that they had to R&D, one is of course how to create animations that look good and work in both modes, second how to apply inverse kinematics feedback animations and not completely block players viewpoint and still be realistic and 3rd that was the most hard for them, how to make a eye stabilization tech to work with all of those animations and inverse kinematic animation and still feel like player have full fluid control over a character and camera doesnt bounce with every move. The third one they said they resolved with few lines of code in the end, but it tooks years to do it.

Another thing regarding this game is how complex it is in comparison to others. The main thing is that is multiplayer, this alone make everything harder, another its a space sim of very high fidelity of systems and that means simulation and synchronization in multiplayer of one ship can be more expensive than dozen of players, they had to rework a lot of systems how they synchronize data, how they calculate physics and systems (in complex batch modes) and send it to server (in special optimized formats), how to synchronize with other players and when cut of this synchronization etc.
Next the scale, they have cities or point of interested with dozens of thousands of simulated entities spread over whole solar system, they had to create a tech that support such large amount of objects on server side (millions literally), system to synchronize those items, system to make them persistent, so you can grab item, move 10 millions km away to some moon and drop it on the ground and fly away and then other players can pick it up with the same properties.
And so on, and so on. I could literally talk for hours about their tech and what limitations they encountered, how they overcame it and how many times they iterated on them, because they explained it all in hundreds of hours of content they provide to community in videos, streams or blog posts.

I mean if you are interested to learn, i recommend watching below presentation about animation and head rig scaling for accessories. Its probably the best tech presentation i've ever watched.
Especially first 30 minutes, so Ivo Herzog's presentation, you'll get an idea with how hard engineering problems they deal with daily :)

_
PS. That being said i would love for Star Citizen engine to be shared with other companies or even being the part of Lumberyard release in future, so more devs could use its technology :)

---
How can I play with you guys
Check out first post in our official thread on resetera for all info :)

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
It actually is, as it is what most of their workforce is working on right now. But they are keeping it behind closed doors, only teasing things once every year basically (like the trailer last year). There's a lot more talk about Star Citizen because it's a live product being regularly updated now.
That is what they are focusing on. They are developing the mechanics for both since everything you can do in 42 can also been done in the MMO, but story and mission content is mainly being built for s42. Beta for it coming next year.

I just want them to hurry back to focusing on the MMO side. I want to use that giant claw on my reclaimer.

Good to know. I think nobody doubts the technical prowess of the game but Roberts still has to prove he can make an actual game with fun missions and a good story with it.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
You know, maybe my performance issues last time were from me trying to play this from my HDD. If there really is another free flight coming soon then I can't wait to check it out on my SSD. I love checking back in every here and there to see how SC is progressing, it's easily one of my most anticipated games in the future. The stuff in SC that's planned and even some things already in the game looks like it's straight out of my dreams for a fully fledged space sim.

Deleted member 15227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Op, I think your technical breakdown is a great and informative showcase. The star dipping behind the planet never gets old. Do planets actually rotate and orbit around the parent star? Are orbital mechanics planned?

It's a very nice summation of most of the current and upcoming features and miles better than anything CIG has put out recently.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good to know. I think nobody doubts the technical prowess of the game but Roberts still has to prove he can make an actual game with fun missions and a good story with it.
Pretty much.

Not to mention that Squadron 42 will probably be out in beta by... 2021? At that point games on next gen consoles would have graphics that will look better than what we would see in SC.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
You do understand this was a video that was just focusing on the technical aspect of the game.
If you're going to make a video with a title that ends in, '... And You Can Play-Test It Now', I would argue that you have a responsibility to give the people you're encouraging to spend money on this pre-release game a more complete picture of its troubled development history, and the extraordinary real-money cost associated with purchasing better ships within the current in-game economy, so they can make an informed decision on whether they ought to invest money in the project in its current state.

I have no issue with Digital Foundry breaking down the tech behind the game, but I believe the video should have made at least some mention of precisely why so many people are dubious of it.

(And I say all this as a dissatisfied backer who really just wanted Squadron 42, and expected it to be delivered, if not in line with the original release date of 2014 - I always thought that was likely to be an unrealistic target, and accepted that it'd probably slip - at least sooner than over six years after that date.)

Last edited:

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017

Judging by the wildly successful kickstarter. A lot of people care?

Not certain why you seem so salty about it. It's what looks to be an amazing game with amazing technology running behind the scenes that allows for one of a kind gameplay.

If it's not your type of game fine, but your hate seems irrational here...

Jul 17, 2018
If you're going to make a video with a title that ends in, '... And You Can Play-Test It Now', I would argue that you have a responsibility to give the people you're encouraging to spend money on this pre-release game a more complete picture of its troubled development history, and the extraordinary real-money cost associated with purchasing better ships within the current in-game economy, so they can make an informed decision on whether they ought to invest money in the project in its current state.

I have no issue with Digital Foundry breaking down the tech behind the game, but I believe the video should have made at least some mention of precisely why so many people are dubious of it.

(And I say all this as a dissatisfied backer who really just wanted Squadron 42, and expected it to be delivered, if not in line with the original release date of 2014 - I always thought that was likely to be an unrealistic target, and accepted that it'd probably slip - at least sooner than over six years after that date.)

This is a fantastic post. It would be way different if the video was just "SC: a tech analysis". As it stands, especially with the ending stating that 'sure the game is controversial but you can make the judgement yourself' it absolutely sounds like a subtle ad and reduces a very lenghty and troubled development to just 'controversy'.

Not to mention, DF have tackled development difficulties before, not sure why they didn't go more in-depth here, especially since the tech is behind those difficulties in some parts. Very dissappointing.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 week): Accusing journalists of being shills

Yeah, this. The video, from a journalistic standpoint, is simply irresponsible. You're not adequately informing your viewers who don't already know about the development issues. Also, "play-testing" doesn't imply that you have to pay for it, which you do. In fact, playtesting is normally a job you get paid for. DF has done videos on upcoming games before but I feel like this one crosses a line. It feels like a shill. I understand it was borne out of enthusiasm more than anything else, but that doesn't mean you can abdicate responsibility. A fanboy made this video and it's obvious. It needed an editor.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden

I think they did fine, since they said it was controversial and you can make your own mind up, is very neutral stance no? Since some people will love it, even at current state, and some wont.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I understand why Dictator did this. Star Citizen really is the best example of what we can expect from next gen games. Usage of SSD is not a buzzword by Sony or MS and this game proves the point.

I also agree that there really needs to be better messaging on the issues that's impacting the alpha and how you should expect a lot of bugs and broken features.

Not even going to talk about the terrible mtx issues, production hell (Matt actually commented about this in one of the SC threads) it's going through since that's opening another can of worms.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
I think they did fine, since they said it was controversial and you can make your own mind up, is very neutral stance no? Since some people will love it, even at current state, and some wont.
Vague allusions to there being some controversy, with no elaboration on the nature of that controversy, are not adequate in this context.

If they'd presented a holistic picture of the game's current state for people to judge, I wouldn't have an issue with the video. They didn't.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Yeah, this. The video, from a journalistic standpoint, is simply irresponsible. You're not adequately informing your viewers who don't already know about the development issues. Also, "play-testing" doesn't imply that you have to pay for it, which you do. In fact, playtesting is normally a job you get paid for. DF has done videos on upcoming games before but I feel like this one crosses a line. It feels like a shill. I understand it was borne out of enthusiasm more than anything else, but that doesn't mean you can abdicate responsibility. A fanboy made this video and it's obvious. It needed an editor.
Thanks for such kind words. Just so you know this video did have an editor and it was decided pretty early on that we would talk about the tech and not the controversial development as the focus of the video - something Eurogamer has in itself actually covered many times.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Vague allusions to there being some controversy, with no elaboration on the nature of that controversy, are not adequate in this context.

If they'd presented a holistic picture of the game's current state for people to judge, I wouldn't have an issue with the video. They didn't.

That would require a 1hour + video and totally change the focus on the video, cmon now.

EDIT: And people should have some own responsibility to check up whatever they buy, especially not done products.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Judging by the wildly successful kickstarter. A lot of people care?

Not certain why you seem so salty about it. It's what looks to be an amazing game with amazing technology running behind the scenes that allows for one of a kind gameplay.

If it's not your type of game fine, but your hate seems irrational here...
I have nothing against the game, I have something against the tropes that pop up all the time, where supposedly everyone wants every game to be a persistent simulator.

Jun 1, 2018
Thanks for such kind words. Just so you know this video did have an editor and it was decided pretty early on that we would talk about the tech and not the controversial development as the focus of the video - something Eurogamer has in itself actually covered many times.
And you did a great job. Fantastic video and showcase of the technology and game so far

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden

Yeah, great video and showed stuff that I had totally forgot they did (charachter creation) and explained stuff that I never would have thought off.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
That would require a 1hour + video and totally change the focus on the video, cmon now.
It wouldn't, though. All I'm asking for is a brief overview of the missed dates, and controversial crowdfunding methodology—a quick disclaimer, essentially. I have no issue with the idea of a video primarily focused on the tech, at all—I actually enjoyed the video as it is. I just think the framing of, 'And You Can Play-Test It Now' demands some small counterbalance, for the sake of anyone who might watch the video and decide to put money into the game with no - or, at least, very little - knowledge of its troubled history.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Showed my husband this DF video and he was pretty blown away by how amazing the game looks, and it's quite hard to impress him.

I think it looks amazing for the most part too, but think it can look like a bit of a mixed bag depending on the scene. Part next-gen, part current-gen. Its about what I expect from next gen games, aside from the massive scale.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
It wouldn't, though. All I'm asking for is a brief overview of the missed dates, and controversial crowdfunding methodology—a quick disclaimer, essentially. I have no issue with the idea of a video primarily focused on the tech, at all—I actually enjoyed the video as it is. I just think the framing of, 'And You Can Play-Test It Now' demands some small counterbalance, for the sake of anyone who might watch the video and decide to put money into the game with no - or, at least, very little - knowledge of its troubled history.

And they would also add more to why this has been delayed, reasons for, more explaning cost vs the tech they are developing (instead of just focusing on the tech as off now).

And my edit also added that you have your own personal responsibility to investigate stuff.

Deleted member 31104

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Ultimately at the moment it's a pretty game, with frequently terrible performance and tiny instance populations, where the primary source of danger is sitting down or opening a door both of which will frequently kill your character.

There's some very good tech involved, and no one doubt Cryengine's (and fundamentally that's still the rendering base) ability to make things look amazing. It was never a con, they're obviously spending a ton of money developing it and it's obviously been a disaster in terms of project management and scope creep. I still think they've had their priorities all wrong since the MMO notion took hold, and I think that's at least partly due to the cash drain and the MMO being the primary source of funding.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
And they would also add more to why this has been delayed, reasons for, more explaning cost vs the tech they are developing (instead of just focusing on the tech as off now).

And my edit also added that you have your own personal responsibility to investigate stuff.
No, they wouldn't. Why would they have to do that?

And I take a generally dim view of the idea that 'personal responsibility' on the part of individuals should absolve larger entities of their own responsibilities--in this case, the responsibility to inform. To be clear, I'm not actually claiming that DF have been irresponsible - I think that term is far too loaded for this circumstance; my issues with the video are not nearly so great as to justify its usage - so much as I'm objecting to your assertion that personal responsibility is the be-all, end-all.

Deleted member 15311

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What? Chill the fuck out. Eurogamer has several articles on the troubled development (if there is in fact a troubled development), sometimes it just feels like console fanboys fanning the flames.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden

And I take a generally dim view of the idea that 'personal responsibility' on the part of individuals should absolve larger entities of their own responsibility--in this case, the responsibility to inform.

And then we come full circle, why would they need to inform more then just focusing on the tech? As they now did.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017

And I take a generally dim view of the idea that 'personal responsibility' on the part of individuals should absolve larger entities of their own responsibilities--in this case, the responsibility to inform. To be clear, I'm not actually claiming that DF have been irresponsible - I think that term is far too loaded for this circumstance; my issues with the video are not nearly so great as to justify its usage - so much as I'm objecting to your assertion that personal responsibility is the be-all, end-all.
They did. They pointed out that there was a controversy. You can google it if you want to know more, because it's a tech video, not a controversy video.

Jul 17, 2018

The tech achievements, you mean. Not the persistent problems with the servers, characters clipping through floors etc.

Deleted member 15311

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do you have anything to add? Or you going to just sit there and throw accusations of fanboys and act like a child?

It's not the firs time and it won't be the last that gamers (usually manchilds filled with self-entitlement) throw accusations like that around and everyone start bitting it, i will be honest i haven't read too much about it yet, hence the: " if there is management problems".

I will read it though, i know Eurogamer along with other venues did pieces on it.

Last edited:

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
The tech achievements, you mean. Not the persistent problems with the servers, characters clipping through floors etc.
Yeah I did focus on the tech achievements - but also spent the last 5 minutes of the video describing how it currently is not the game "it is supposed to be" and how I had some frankly game breaking bugs in making the footage for the video.

I think videos discussing postive aspects in games aligns much more with the general mood of Digital Foundry. We even pointed out in videos how we like stuff like Bubsy... Turok... etc. games people use as memes.

We also generally have a personal angle in videos that people sometimes unwittingly forget. John and I definitely give our 2 cents in there with the stuff we choose to edit into a video and the stuff we choose not to edit into videos based on our taste and our mood after we played a game. We have the objective analysis stuff based on our play experience, but then we have the "narrative" of the video in mind. Much like an editorial in that sense.

A good example I think is John's coverage of Crackdown 3:

This game had a massive hate brigade behind it - but John genuinely liked the game inspite of its flaws, and wrote his analysis around it. That made a lot of people seemingly hate us and our work as well.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017

In other words you just want a completely different video.. one that isn't a tech video.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great video. This has always been the one game ive felt heavily inspired to build a beefy gaming pc for (still haven't done it yet)

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Yeah I did focus on the tech achievements - but also spent the last 5 minutes of the video describing how it currently is not the game "it is supposed to be" and how I had some frankly game breaking bugs in making the footage for the video.

I think videos discussing postive aspects in games aligns much more with the general mood of Digital Foundry. We even pointed out in videos how we like stuff like Bubsy... Turok... etc. games people use as memes.

We also generally have a personal angle in videos that people sometimes unwittingly forget. John and I definitely give our 2 cents in there with the stuff we choose to edit into a video and the stuff we choose not to edit into videos based on our taste and our mood after we played a game. We have the objective analysis stuff based on our play experience, but then we have the "narrative" of the video in mind. Much like an editorial in that sense.

A good example I think is John's coverage of Crackdown 3:

This game had a massive hate brigade behind it - but John genuinely liked the game inspite of its flaws, and wrote his analysis around it. That made a lot of people seemingly hate us and our work as well.

This is quite a good example. If it doesn't fit the narrative (hate brigade) and the media reporting in question is positive/neutral, then people will have a problem with it.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I want to say something as someone who hasn't any stakes in this project and hasn't bought anything yet. I fully understand that the games spiraled out of control in terms of deadlines, features and scope in some ways and I think that every backer has the right to complain and be upset about the situation and even demand refunds. That said though, for someone who hasn't invested anything in this game yet I feel the "try it out yourself" sentiment of the video is very valid. The lowest tier of entry is 45$ which also includes every further improvement down the line and that's still a cheaper price than many AAA games today that might not even receive any kind of meaningful updates.

Do I think any buyer should get warned about the troubled history of this project? Absolutely they should! But does this really need to be brought up every single time any kind of aspect of Star Citizen is discussed? Even if someone is only tangible interested, 45$ isn't a lot of money in context, it's not like Digital Foundry recommend people to buy any of the 3000$ ships.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I was asking for an in-depth analysis of both the tech and the problems with its implementation. And that video is not it at all.

I'd imagine it's hard to put that same level into bugs. I mean I'm sure theres a lot to be written about things like the lighting etc, I dunno how much you can say about a door failing to work etc.

Nekyrrev

Oct 28, 2017
Some people really need to chill. "irresponsible"? Really?
You are not contractually forced to buy the most costly package of the game when you watch the video. People can make their own decisions, do their research.
It's just a crowd-funded game, calm down.

And it's not like we never have any negative news about the development, in fact it's mostly what is shared here because it's what people expect.