• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's very telling that threads like this and threads about new updates only get to 5-6 pages, while the "sky is falling" threads get closer to 20 something.
Yeah, that shit is aggravating.

Not to mention the moderation when it comes to those threads (and SC threads in general)

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017
Looks inconsistent, amazing in some scenes ugly in others. I guess that could be chalked to their very dynamic lighting system.
I mean, it's like real life in that regard. With the right lighting you can make any scene look amazing. There's a lot of trickery that goes into photography to make stuff look good, and when your overall aesthetic is high on the realism scale, you're subject to exactly the same kinds of issues in the game itself.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's like real life in that regard. With the right lighting you can make any scene look amazing. There's a lot of trickery that goes into photography to make stuff look good, and when your overall aesthetic is high on the realism scale, you're subject to exactly the same kinds of issues in the game itself.
And just like real life, the frame rate chugs when there is a lot of activity in view, even with optimal vision apparently.

Art imitating life.

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Impressive indeed, this video did more for me than the official ones. I can't wait for a retail release of this game. I'd rather not "ruin" the game by experiencing the iterative alpha/beta versions etc.

I continue to wait.

Raticus79

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This was a cool thing to randomly hear about in the org chat. Good job everyone, sorry I couldn't join in.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
The tech looks impressive -- but will it still be impressive when the game actually releases? By the time they ship a completed product we will be possibly years into next-generation, and all this advanced tech will pretty much be the standard.
There is still lot of work to be done in the tech, so it is not fully locked down.

Also the games scale and ability to influence things in non-traditional manner should allow some very interesting gameplay possibilities.
This is largely due to player always playing the character which is always present, no matter what you do.

You can cram another ship into other, if it fits.. clutter areas to defend them etc.
I personally wouldnt mind if they ported S42 to next consoles some time after release.
I think most reasonable people wouldnt mind as in the end its more funding to Star Citizen and next Episodes of S42.
Yup,
SQ42 would be nice fit for next generation of consoles.

Oct 28, 2017
Excellent video, a very good primer for people unaware about Star Citizen and what can be expected on a technical level between the transition from current to next generation of games.

But its slightly tiring for someone(like me) who has funded and been following the game, find the choice of content for this DF video a bit uneasy with my inner self screaming "Where is the game? its a carrot".
- Not a title which is released
- Not a title which will be released soon (DF usually has excellent videos about titles which are already in pipeline to be released from the time of the video)
- Not a title which was released long time ago (archival)
- Not a title which can run on current set of consoles nor on a modest system

- Its a tech demo, like what Nvidia or AMD showcase to increase the baseline visual presentation and/or technical goals for the future.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
Excellent video, a very good primer for people unaware about Star Citizen and what can be expected on a technical level between the transition from current to next generation of games.

But its slightly tiring for someone(like me) who has funded and been following the game, find the choice of content for this DF video a bit uneasy with my inner self screaming "Where is the game? its a carrot".
- Not a title which is released
- Not a title which will be released soon (DF usually has excellent videos about titles which are already in pipeline to be released from the time of the video)
- Not a title which was released long time ago (archival)
- Not a title which can run on current set of consoles nor on a modest system

- Its a tech demo, like what Nvidia or AMD showcase to increase the baseline visual presentation and/or technical goals for the future.
DF makes videos about next-gen consoles rumors, it makes videos about graphics cards rumors, makes videos about tech demos from Nvidia, AMD or console provides, makes videos about trailers of games that will release few years down the line (Halo or TLOU for example).
And Star Citizen runs quite well already if server performance allows for it. On planets without any external activities i can get 90fps on 6800k@4ghz and 2080, in Arena Commander in PVE ship combat i get 60fps+ (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTFTgDO3IAk)
etc.

---
I saw you were in that video, didn't I? :)
Yep :) I and some other people from this forum helped Alex with multiplayer focused footage :)

sandweed

May 8, 2018
Impressive indeed, this video did more for me than the official ones. I can't wait for a retail release of this game. I'd rather not "ruin" the game by experiencing the iterative alpha/beta versions etc.

I continue to wait.

How can this game even be made if you don't buy a 700$ spaceship that's not even in the game yet.

Oct 28, 2017
DF makes videos about next-gen consoles rumors, it makes videos about graphics cards rumors, makes videos about tech demos from Nvidia, AMD or console provides, makes videos about trailers of games that will release few years down the line (Halo or TLOU for example).
And Star Citizen runs quite well already if server performance allows for it. On planets without any external activities i can get 90fps on 6800k@4ghz and 2080, in Arena Commander in PVE ship combat i get 60fps+ (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTFTgDO3IAk)
etc.

That performance sounds good, but I wish the visual presentation in the public releases were lowered down to basics so that the focus (not related to visuals) can be the technical aspects of the game without much distractions and to also have a lower performance requirement so that "... And You Can Play-Test It Now" is possible for a larger group of people.

Note: That's some modest space combat, it really showcases the difference against terrestrial dogfight where forward momentum is always present in the direction the craft/cockpit/pilot is facing.

Last edited:

SmartBase

Self-requested ban
Dec 17, 2017
I hate the way the game actually plays but I love the technology behind it and how it looks 🤷‍♂️

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Who exactly is still pouring more money to fund this 'game'?

Satisfied fans.

zig5xlb2pky3.jpg

Jun 1, 2018
etc.

---

Yep :) I and some other people from this forum helped Alex with multiplayer focused footage :)
How can I play with you guys

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I don't see how Star Citizen is supposed to be representative of a next-generation game.
If we expect next gen games to be gargantuan MMO projects that are still incomplete after $250 million and 7 years, maybe it's time I stop gaming for good and put a bit more attention on my other hobbies.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I don't see how Star Citizen is supposed to be representative of a next-generation game.
If we expect next gen games to be gargantuan MMO projects that are still incomplete after $250 million and 7 years, maybe it's time I stop gaming for good and put a bit more attention on my other hobbies.

While SC is trying to take many leaps in tech, next-gen games can be expected to some, but not as much as SC.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Squadron 42 will use all the tech that is being developed for Star Citizen, but optimized for singleplayer experience. Central home base, lots of mission types, interactions with NPCs, exiting the ship into zero G, on-the foot FPS moments inside ships/stations/on planets, and building relationship with comrades, all the good Wing Commander stuff elevated to new crazy level.

That's the game I'm waiting for!

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017

Representative by the ambitious technological feats and new ways of simulating game worlds.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This video for an unreleased game that's drawn plenty of deserved criticism really plays like an advertorial. Completely uncritical fawning over the tech achievements.

DrWong

Oct 29, 2017
This video for an unreleased game that's drawn plenty of deserved criticism really plays like an advertorial. Completely uncritical fawning over the tech achievements.
Lol

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Really good video. Crazy how indepth some of the systems are but it certainly feels like one of those games that will never truly be finished.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah technically, this looks super impressive! Thanks for this Alex. I also admire the ambition of the project, that said they have a lot of resources and are taking a lot of time, so hopefully things pull together. the level of detail and scale is top tier. The lighting in general is also good, although some of it looks off to me. I think next gen we will get games with better fidelity, animation, proximate geometry, etc. But this thing isn't likely to be beaten on scale.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How this game will compare with EVE Online, not visually but regarding gameplay systems ?

Because it seems in line with this MMO but I don't know much about.

Oct 28, 2017
Star Citizen has all real time combat. Both on foot and ship to ship.

Yeah, that's actually pretty cool. Especially since there is no invisible transitions between character control and ship control.

It would be interesting whats possible in Star Citizen if the entire community of players in EVE one day are directly booted into Star Citizen (instead of EVE), what would be the differentiating factors (apart from the above)? How would things play out?

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Yeah, that's actually pretty cool. Especially since there is no invisible transitions between character control and ship control.

It would be interesting whats possible in Star Citizen if the entire community of players in EVE one day are directly booted into Star Citizen (instead of EVE), what would be the differentiating factors (apart from the above)? How would things play out?
ship insurance will make stakes much lower and I'm sure there will be heavy instancing for combat.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017

If you only look at the tech achievements, i don't really see what could be critical. The technical shit they are pulling off is just fantastic. You'd have to be Derek Smart to say this as been done before at such scale.

If you look at the rest, sure, there's plenty of deserved critics to be thrown around. But on the pure tech side, what they have now, (even without what is still needed to have the proper game experience) is something to be in awe of.

I mean... That's the obvious reason why Crytek is suing RSI : they want to get a chance to see (and steal) the code.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You do understand this was a video that was just focusing on the technical aspect of the game.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Some very advanced tech. I find the gameplay tech more impressive than the visuals. I dont see the issue with Alex and DF making this video.

Oct 27, 2017
This vid shows both how incredibly far they have come and simultaneously how incredibly far they're still away from having an actual game.
I'm more interested in Squadron 42 myself but it feels like that one isn't the priority right now when it should be.