• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
This and Red Dead 2 have me psyched for the next gen!

The feeling of seeing basically next gen screenshots and videos is still thrilling after all these years!

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
starter floating tub.
Hey!!! Aurora has feelings too :(
:P But yeah, it got nerfed, its worse than it used to be.

---
Oh thanks for that info. I currently have a Mustang (AMD promo from 2014), and some other base ship. But I've been watching series like "architect reviews StarCitizen", and dammit I want some of those nicer ships. I don't want to pay hundreds or thousands of real money for them though, so if I can eventually earn them in game that's great.
I recommend watching this video :)

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
... they are redoing parts of the game because it got outdated due to how long they're taking?

A couple of times, yeah. There was a combat module (or whatever it was) which they used another third party developer to make and it didn't work out after a long while developing it. They ended up scraping it and redoing it themselves. I think they actually rewrote a huge portion of the game a few years into development because it wasn't working out either.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
... they are redoing parts of the game because it got outdated due to how long they're taking?
Not redoing, but upgrading. They also create their tech in phases, basically anything they do, they do in a manner that's easily upgradable and expandable.
When they are creating new planets and moons with new Bioms they are also upgrading tech and then they are applying this tech to previously created assets.
As distribution on the planets is procedural (but controlled), they upgrade components and then its upgrades whole planet at once.

Last edited:

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
The best cheap ship is Avenger Titan, upgrade to that if you want something that is more capable than a starter floating tub.

Just logged in to double check, the other ship I have is a 300i. What's considered a good ship above the Titan's class? Like I want that giant yacht lol. But baby steps.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Hey!!! Aurora has feelings too :(
:P But yeah, it got nerfed, its worse than it used to be.

---

I recommend watching this video :)

Thank you for that video. I had a tough go at it with Elite where I had never played a space sim in my life, and then bought the game soon after it released. It took me a year before finding something I was good at (bounty hunting) and started making money easily. I don't want to go into Star Citizen and have that experience again. But knowing that you can rent/buy those ships is great.

I'm going to download the new update and try my hand at it (only launched the game once a few years ago).

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, they're just improving what they have. Also that person is misinformed because there's nothing on the roadmap about when "planet tech v4" will be released.

Quick question, what's the cheapest to buy access nowadays with sales in mind?

Usually at the end of November they have a sale that takes $10 off the normal price ($45). But I encourage you to check out the game on twitch and other YouTube videos to make sure you want to jump in right now, the game isn't going anywhere and I always advise people to wait and see instead of committing money now and potentially being disappointed.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
No, they're just improving what they have. Also that person is misinformed because there's nothing on the roadmap about when "planet tech v4" will be released.

Usually at the end of November they have a sale that takes $10 off the normal price ($45). But I encourage you to check out the game on twitch and other YouTube videos to make sure you want to jump in right now, the game isn't going anywhere and I always advise people to wait and see instead of committing money now and potentially being disappointed.

Thanks! Yeah I'm aware of that as I've tried multiple Test Flights before so I know what I'm getting into. My biggest gripe was the stuttering but now that I know I just need a decent SSD to solve that I'm much more content jumping in.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The tech looks impressive -- but will it still be impressive when the game actually releases? By the time they ship a completed product we will be possibly years into next-generation, and all this advanced tech will pretty much be the standard.

Feb 8, 2018
DF is probably the only site that can focus on this project without going into details about its nature: it's actually really amazing tech.

But holy poop does the game look mediocre: you jump from extremely high quality assets with crazy (and frankly, very pointless) detail, to empty corridors and cities that look really bland: as if a game from the xbox360 era got its textures and resolution pumped to the stars, but still looks very boxy and empty. The scars caused by the "lets impress rich men" first and let's make the game later with their money later are clearly visible.

It is impressive in most instances considering it's a MMO with that scale at 60fps in this video. Maybe too ambitious.

NuMiQ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Makes me sad i missed out on being in it. Ahh well, my own fault. For many reasons.
We missed you there as well dude. Hope you can make it another time soon.

Shut up, and go back to drinking your Kool-aid you fucking cultist.
<3

Also, cause he can't be here himself, a quick link to the awesome screenshots of Captain Raoul:
www.flickr.com

Raoul Antonio

Explore Raoul Antonio’s 649 photos on Flickr!

Dude makes the best screenshots.
He helped make this video, as did several others from this forum/our org. (You all know who you are and that you're great, so no need to point that out).

xem

Oct 31, 2017
amazing work! what a great explanation of how new consoles might raise the bar for many games. I wish I had a PC that could run this game, yikes.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
I honestly cant wait for that 1-2hr well made youtube doc following the game from reveal to release whenever it does come out.

(that and obviously the games full release lol)

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
The wonders of not being restricted by consoles.

I remain skeptical but hopeful to see SC come to fruition and blow our socks off.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I understand people's complaints about the development of this game, but I hope this video will at least stop people just drive-by posting shit about it being a straight-up scam.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Why saying next-gen? Is the game confirmed for next-gen consoles? AFAIK PC has no gen to call this next-gen.

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
Who exactly is still pouring more money to fund this 'game'?

You'd think after the first 130 million and 5 years spent in alpha m, future investors might have been, nah let's not.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Who exactly is still pouring more money to fund this 'game'?

You'd think after the first 130 million and 5 years spent in alpha m, future investors might have been, nah let's not.
I bought a new ship earlier this year, nice to meet you.

The game as is playable today offers me and my friends experiences that are so far unparalleled in modern gaming, put 'game' in quotations all you want but for me I've gotten more enjoyment out of it than the very best completed games of this generation, who are you to say otherwise?

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
I bought a new ship earlier this year, nice to meet you.

The game offers me and my friends experiences that are so far unparalleled in modern gaming, put 'game' in quotations all you want but for me I've gotten more enjoyment out of it than the very best completed games of this generation, who are you to say otherwise?

For a start you didn't answer my question. There's obviously outside investors still investing which is insane at this point.

And second, good for you for enabling ridiculous mtx practices in an unreleased game.

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
The tech looks impressive -- but will it still be impressive when the game actually releases? By the time they ship a completed product we will be possibly years into next-generation, and all this advanced tech will pretty much be the standard.
Not really, they update their tech as they have been doing since release. None of what you see now is day 1 tech, everything has been updated with new engine updates and features.

Ometeotl

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Accusations of shilling, accumulated infractions
You have to disclose when your videos are sponsored, you know.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Ahhh we've reached the "it's an advertisement" phase of the thread. It couldn't just be that Digital Foundry, a site all about focusing on the technical side of games, might find interest in one of the gaming worlds more technically demanding and impressive games on the market, that's just too far fetched.

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
Loved this video. Been excited for this game since it's announcement but have only updated myself every once in a while.

matter this video I finally took the plunge and bought the package.

Looking forward to trying it out. I have the 2080yi part of my rig, but I have a feeling the 3770k won't cut it for this game. But next month, if supply allows I'll have my 3950x paired with it.

Can't wait for this game to come true, the kinds of things it is doing, makes it one of the few games these days that gets me excited with pure ambition.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh I know but both my SSDs house a OS and have around 40gb free and buying another 128gb feels like a waste.
Ahh. Gotcha.
would you recommend that one over the Mustang? I forgot to upgrade (or I think I was waiting for another free-fly event).
I think the Cutlass Black would be more suited to what you want. Though i don't know if it would be too dear.
We missed you there as well dude. Hope you can make it another time soon.
Thanks.
😄
I understand people's complaints about the development of this game, but I hope this video will at least stop people just drive-by posting shit about it being a straight-up scam.
Nope, and it never will.

Doesn't help that the mods don't do shit when it comes to SC threads. Even when comes it's the same bunch of posters in every thread.
GlCNekr.gif

Kadath

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder where the line is drawn between "engine performs poorly because it's also written poorly", and "engine performs poorly because it's too advanced".

zoku88

Oct 27, 2017
The facial stuff looks pretty neat. I wonder if they ever considered licensing out the tech or wtv.