• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
I did think there was missing something about how long some of these important backend systems have been promised, and they are still not here.

Also, for the record (not direct at you) The project has missed a deadline this year when Squadron 42 was delayed for the nth time this August. The release is now apparently in mid 2020. We`ll see.

So they are still slipping when it comes to promised features. regardless of what some might suggest.

Wait wait I can anticipate the replies to this already: "Squadron 42 is completely different to Star Citizen!"

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Regardless of its protracted development, missed deadlines, money spent et cetera, this is an insanely impressive, monumental, ambitious undertaking and achievement...I am glad CIG are persevering. Even if I am mostly just interested in Squadron 42.

You did a great job on the video, Alex. Hope to see more.

Nekyrrev

Oct 28, 2017
Very well made video, you managed to capture some great footage there.
Digital foundry talking about star citizen is the ultimate match for me.

The scale and detail of this game never seize to impress me. It's interesting to watch unfold a project with an enormous technical ambition.

Waaghals

Oct 27, 2017
Wait wait I can anticipate the replies to this already: "Squadron 42 is completely different to Star Citizen!"
It is a different project, but it uses the same technology, is under the same project management and probably shares many developers.
It is also noticeably less ambitious than star citizen proper. The fact that it isn`t out yet isn`t a good sign.

I will also add that Squadron 42 was what was originally sold to us. That was what the demo was about. Many initial backers back it fro that reason.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
I'm fucking tired of GAMER reactions to Star Citizen in particular, but any crowdfunded game development process, really. Note that I do not have any stakes in this. I didn't spend a single dollar on SC (I'm merely interested in an eventual realease).
Making big games takes a long time. Scope changes, a lot. There's hundreds of products, which ended up as something entirely different than what they have been pitched. The difference with these kind of projects is, that it doesn't happen in a black box. If it works out, great. If it doesn't, that sucks, but kickstarter isn't a store.
People on here freak out when a game has $0.99 cosmetic purchases. Star Citizen has gameplay altering items that cost thousands of dollars. What do you expect?

Corine

Nov 8, 2017
Play it on and off every once in awhile. Never seen such amazing tech and graphics come together so beautifully. Some of the things you can do are just amazing. Guess I should boot it up again :) Really wish more developers pushed the boundaries like this instead of just pushing out the usual AAA stuff that always just seems so shallow and small scale to me.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Play it on and off every once in awhile. Never seen such amazing tech and graphics come together so beautifully. Some of the things you can do are just amazing. Guess I should boot it up again :) Really wish more developers pushed the boundaries like this instead of just pushing out the usual AAA stuff that always just seems so shallow and small scale to me.
Unfortunately pushing the envelope like this is extremely difficult and risky...hence it taking 7 years already.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017

Look at the money, people and time it has taken Star Citizen to get to where it is - a beta, still missing huge chunks of core gameplay.

Other devs should certainly push boundaries for scale and stuff but hell no I don't want them trying this shit. We'll never have any games to play.

Nekyrrev

Oct 28, 2017
It is also noticeably less ambitious than star citizen proper. The fact that it isn`t out yet isn`t a good sign.

I will also add that Squadron 42 was what was originally sold to us. That was what the demo was about. Many initial backers back it fro that reason.
It's very ambitious too in its own narrative-driven way.
The majority of their workforce is working on it but admittedly they are being very secretive about it. We should probably have news about squadron 42 at the citizencon next month.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That ship jump might be one of the most impressive things I've seen in a game. Even if humanity never gets off this rock. I hope that I'm able to virtually experience new worlds through games like this with VR support added at some point. I know there some justified controversy surrounding this game but I really do hope it doesnt fall apart

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whether success or failure (and what that means is going to be different for everyone), Star Citizen has offered me hundreds of hours of fun with some of the best people I've met. On a technical level, it can be both fascinating and frustrating, it can offer experiences you literally cannot have in any other game on the planet and most importantly you can do it with your friends and share memories - but it can also offer you extremely annoying moments where nothing works the way you want it too and introducing the game to new people can be daunting if they don't have the heart for dealing with bugs.

Yes, the game is taking very long and the business tactics are something that people aren't fond of, but you can buy the game for $45 and buy or rent most ships with in game currency now, so there's no paywall for content, there's no subscription, you pay upfront once and have every update available to you forever. There's no in game popups to buy currency or ships, if you ignore the concept sales every few months on the website and just play the game you wouldn't even know they offer any ships for sale with money.

I make a lot of jokes about Star Citizen and I'm not 100% pleased with the development of the game, but there's nothing with the potential that this game has, nothing even close that can potentially offer me the experiences that this game could, and the amount I've played and had fun shows me that there's something to this game. I truly hope that the vision is realized and we get the game that we've been waiting for eventually.

Until then though, we're going to see a lot of hate for this game and at this point I don't think any backer on this site still has the energy to deal with replying to the same posts we've been hearing for the last how many years people say this game has been in development for.

Good video Alex.

Corine

Nov 8, 2017
Look at the money, people and time it has taken Star Citizen to get to where it is - a beta, still missing huge chunks of core gameplay.

Other devs should certainly push boundaries for scale and stuff but hell no I don't want them trying this shit. We'll never have any games to play.
I certainly do. I'd much rather have more developers pushing these revolutionary boundaries than just the small evolutionary steps I see most doing.

Oct 27, 2017
Enjoyed the video.
The tech in undeniably impressive and I hope they can get Squadron 42 out in the next 12 months.

I'll buy a space sim single player game. I have no interest in the online stuff.

If I were them, I'd be a bit worried about a developer with deeper pockets coming along and stealing their thunder. Ubisoft with Beyond Good and Evil 2 was showing similar tech in a more basic form a couple of years ago - nothing as impressive as the spinning ships shown in this vid. Who knows what other devs have up their sleeves. Getting Squadron 42 out and established before someone else comes along seems like a big deal to me.

This was also a good demonstration of why the ssd in PS5 and Scarlett are important to next gen performance.

Kadath

Oct 25, 2017
No matter how curated the video and how late in development, it's all still filled with visual glitches, washed out bland generic look, and plenty of jerky, glitchy and weird looking animations.

Why should "next gen" mean "do lots of things, all of them very poorly"?

A super high resolution doesn't make a texture artistically good.

Yamajian

Oct 30, 2017
The tech in this game is amazing, and I think the most impressive aspects of it aren't around graphical fidelity. I'm sure it will be surpassed next gen.

The really impressive parts have to do with things like:
1. Being able to walk around your ship
2. Being able to walk around your ship while it's flying
3. Being able to physically exit your ship and enter another ship in space
4. Massive cities on planets with buildings you can go inside without loading

I think the amount of effort that goes into features like these are frankly too ambitious for most other AAA companies, no matter if systems technically support it. As we can all see from the development time, these features take forever to implement and it pushes actual game play out even further.

I'm glad that Star Citizen is being worked on, but I don't think many things they are implementing are going to be feasible for even AAA game studios to tackle.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The tech is the most interesting and well developed part of the game. That's generally my issue.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I backed this in 2012 without even owning a proper gaming PC keeping in mind that I would finally build a badass one in time for when this game was ready.

I just finished building that PC, Ryzen 3600X with 2080 Ti, and I will finally be trying this out this weekend.

Better late than never?

Waaghals

Oct 27, 2017
It's very ambitious too in its own narrative-driven way.
The majority of their workforce is working on it but admittedly they are being very secretive about it. We should probably have news about squadron 42 at the citizencon next month.

I didn`t mean to imply that Squadron 42 isn`t ambitious, just that it is less so than the crazy ambitious SC.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017

Agree with all of this. I just got a HOTAS a few months ago, I should test it proper.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I won't lie, the DF video made me want to buy a 500gb SSD and SC access, if only I had more disposable money but I'll get there :P

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Dictator I saw your tweet about load times for a game on an NVME SSD and a 7200 RPM HDD in RAID 0 and just knew that it had to be about Star Citizen!

This video was fantastic, thanks for making it!

This game is simply one of the most impressive games I have ever played, I remember reading things like the monthly reports about this game with intense excitement, I believe it has the potential to be one of the best games ever made if things go well with it!

I've piloted ships like the 890 Jump and the Reclaimer, the scale of traversing the game world and interacting with these ships is simply like no other!

Edit - Corrected mistake.

Last edited:

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
at this pace games would have 20 year dev cycle.
The economics of game development doesn't really justify it. The companies with the financial heft to do this would also be looking to massively profit from the game, provide shareholder "value". For all that is made about issue of selling ships in this game, that money is all poured in its entirety to develop the game.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's how games work. You can't make a game without having the tech to actually make it with.

I realize that. Most AAA games and their sequel would have been out now in such a time frame. This one is beautiful but lacking in so many areas and I've not even seen S42 come close to release let alone the MMO part.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
I was a backer when it originally hit kickstarter so I'm well aware. I'd in fact love the game to come out and live up to all the expectations but I burnt out long ago expecting Squadron 42 after so many delays and set backs.

Me also.

I even custom-made a chair with my HOTAS set-up in anticipation of this game. That was a few video cards ago though...

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Dont buy SC access, there should be Free Flight Event soon that last a week that allows to test game and most of its ships for free.
Buy a SSD though xD

Oh I tested it before in various Free Flights and was always impressed even with stutter-city on my 7200rpm NCQ HDD :P Well I do have a SSD, two in fact but just 120gb OS drives so yeah... I also want to buy a modded GBA SP though and a good friend just showed me that he upgraded to a G915 keyboard and G502 Lightspeed mouse... Pokémon comes out soon, I need to win in a lottery I guess :D

Inacio

Nov 5, 2018
Finally I have a video I can show people that down play the tech. achivements in this game.
As cool as the tech is, you'd have a hard time impressing anyone with the game design, at least as it is now.
It's pretty awful. I hope some huge changes happen before this game comes out (if that's even happening, given how their very successful business model depends on it not ever doing so).

I'm going to add that I really don't like that DF pushed out this video. I really like them and respect them but this might drive a lot of people to buy into a game that not only is currently unfinished but also has no release date in sight (or has had in the last 7 years of development).

Corine

Nov 8, 2017
I realize that. Most AAA games and their sequel would have been out now in such a time frame. This one is beautiful but lacking in so many areas and I've not even seen S42 come close to release let alone the MMO part.
That's the problem with the AAA market. They won't try a game like this. They just keep grinding out cinematic tps and yearly releases. Games of this magnitude take many more years of development.