• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bearwolf

Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone recommend a Windows tablet in the $800 range? The main purpose is to do rough animation and sketches, with hopefully some digital art included. I need Windows apps, but am not allowed to bring a full laptop to work.

Oct 26, 2017
Has anyone moved between an ipad pro and a cintiq and have impressions on the experience?

Currently using an ipad pro with first gen apple pencil and eyeing a cintiq pro 24 due to wanting a larger screen. I'm seeing some mixed feedback on build quality and the screen lottery though (with some panels having problems like 10 months in) which is making me hesitate on such a pricey purchase.

OP
OP
Shogmaster

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
Has anyone moved between an ipad pro and a cintiq and have impressions on the experience?

Currently using an ipad pro with first gen apple pencil and eyeing a cintiq pro 24 due to wanting a larger screen. I'm seeing some mixed feedback on build quality and the screen lottery though (with some panels having problems like 10 months in) which is making me hesitate on such a pricey purchase.
Wacom Cintiq Pros have 2 year warranty IIRC.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hi all. So I got a Huion Kamvas Pro 16 for Xmas and I love it so far. But since my laptop died late last year it's currently not great atm to do art when I travel(mostly when I go home to visit my parents house a couple times a month), since I end up lugging my PC tower across the state. So I'm looking to get another laptop in the next week or so finally, so I can just leave my PC at home. Is there anything I should look for or avoid in terms of a laptop I can use exclusively with this tablet over the next few years? I guess I mean in terms of preferred graphics card types/brands, laptop brand incompatibilities, what laptops might be best suited for art programs and connecting tablets, or anything else like that. Only thing I'm thinking atm is I want an 8 GB memory system, but beyond that I'm sort of looking for a specific direction to go down.

Are ASUS Vivobooks good w/ this sort of thing? My last laptop was an ASUS and it lasted 4-5 years w/ heeaavyyy use and lots of transport so I'm sort of pre-disposed to the brand, but on the other hand I know nothing about current laptop trends and what's good out there atm so this is really just a general call for advice in picking one.

(PS I would have found a laptop specific thread but I thought this might be better since you're all art peoples who may be more in the know about this sort of thing)

Oct 29, 2017
So what's the deal with the windows version of Adobe Fresco only being available to Microsoft surface devices, the Wacom tablet computers, and one HP laptop?

MasaDrew

Jun 20, 2019
So I went to go pick up payment for a commission today and my client gave me a bamboo stylus and and an iPad Air which I believe may be first gen. I have been saving up to get a 2nd gen pencil and a 3rd gen pro and once taxes come back I'll be able to do so. But my question is how well would the bamboo and air do for art?

I currently draw and paint with my iPhone and finger so anything is a step up, but if the Air is pretty good for drawing then maybe I should just get a 1st gen pencil and just continue saving and get a Pro in the fall or something. Any advice??

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
So I went to go pick up payment for a commission today and my client gave me a bamboo stylus and and an iPad Air which I believe may be first gen. I have been saving up to get a 2nd gen pencil and a 3rd gen pro and once taxes come back I'll be able to do so. But my question is how well would the bamboo and air do for art?

I currently draw and paint with my iPhone and finger so anything is a step up, but if the Air is pretty good for drawing then maybe I should just get a 1st gen pencil and just continue saving and get a Pro in the fall or something. Any advice??
If it's a first generation Air, then it's not compatible with the Pencil. Pencil support only came to the Air with the third generation in 2019.

Btw, which iPhone do you draw on? If it's anything between the 6 and the XS, then you at least have some faux pressure sensitivity on drawing apps thanks to 3D Touch. Any reason why you use your finger instead of a stylus?

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas

The Bamboo stylus' aren't bad, but it's a far cry from the Apple Pencil / iPad Pro.

You can download Adobe Fresco for free and give it a whirl.

MasaDrew

Jun 20, 2019
The Bamboo stylus' aren't bad, but it's a far cry from the Apple Pencil / iPad Pro.

You can download Adobe Fresco for free and give it a whirl.

So I gave it a whirl this weekend and...oof.

So the IPad is a first gen Air. I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth but for drawing this thing is rough. Its old enough to where I can update to the lastes OS, which means I can't use Procreate and other apps are on the verge of updating as well. I tried Infinite Brush and while it offers a similar toolset to what I'm used to its just really sluggish. Plus the app may not save progress from time to time according to reviews.

The bamboo has the large rubber nib that common styluses have. Feels more cumbersome than just using my finger. I feel bad for my friend/client but I'll just go back to working towards a Pro and Pencil 2

Btw, which iPhone do you draw on? If it's anything between the 6 and the XS, then you at least have some faux pressure sensitivity on drawing apps thanks to 3D Touch. Any reason why you use your finger instead of a stylus?

Its a 6S+. The faux pressure sensitivity is there, from past experience it felt like I was pressing too hard to get some styluses to work. I lose a lot of fine detail and deftness with my fingers (like the eyes I render don't especially feel like eyes I normally draw) but I've been able to get some interesting stuff out there.

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone know why Clip Studio on Mac (Catalina) refuses to load in my palettes properly when I open it up? Do I really have to reload my workspace manually every single time? I wish the palettes would be locked to a single window like they are on Windows.

Screenshot

YOOOOOOooooooo.... Ryzen 4500U version of Lenovo Flex for $600?!? WHAT!??!???
OP
OP
Shogmaster

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017

Amazon.com: Lenovo Flex 5 14" 2-in-1 Laptop, 14.0" FHD (1920 x 1080) Touch Display, AMD Ryzen 5 4500U Processor, 16GB DDR4, 256GB SSD, AMD Radeon Graphics, Digital Pen Included, Win 10, 81X20005US, Graphite Grey: Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: Lenovo Flex 5 14" 2-in-1 Laptop, 14.0" FHD (1920 x 1080) Touch Display, AMD Ryzen 5 4500U Processor, 16GB DDR4, 256GB SSD, AMD Radeon Graphics, Digital Pen Included, Win 10, 81X20005US, Graphite Grey: Computers & Accessories

71VoLjTu8OL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

These are CRAZY specs for the money! Ryzen 5 4500U, 16GB of RAM, 256GB SSD for $600?!?

I fucking had to order this thing to see if it's real. Should have it on Tuesday.

Stay tuned!

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
That's an incredible deal. It's interesting that Lenovo themselves say in the Q&A that the pen is sold separately when multiple buyers are saying that theirs came with it.

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
If anyone gets a new Surface Book 3, I'd be very curious to hear if the pen control is improved, esp in photoshop. I've been working on a model 1 for years now and hate how jittery it is, but I deal with it because the benefit of not needing a separate tablet is pretty good for my workflow.

OP
OP
Shogmaster

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
If anyone gets a new Surface Book 3, I'd be very curious to hear if the pen control is improved, esp in photoshop. I've been working on a model 1 for years now and hate how jittery it is, but I deal with it because the benefit of not needing a separate tablet is pretty good for my workflow.
AFAIK the digitizer is exactly same as before.

Only way to get jitter free pen in Windows 2 in 1 is to order something with Wacom EMR like the Samsung Galaxy Flex or old Notebook 9 Pro/Pen.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a tablet that I can use to draw on the screen to practise my digital illustration. My budget is £800-1000.

I'll be using it 90% for this. The rest will be light browsing/watching movies. I might also use it to code some light front end stuff (just HTML and CSS), but the primary function will be as an art tablet.

My conflict here is that the Ipad is apparently much better for art, and but not so hot with development. But as my development would mostly be a convenience thing when I didn't want to sit with my laptop or at my desktop, if the art experience is much better I would forgo being able to develop on tablet at all.

Looking at Apple's site right now, they're selling a refurbished Gen 3 12.9 256GB for £800, and the Apple Pencil 2 is £119. This is all well within my budget. Would there be any issues with buying a Gen 3 Pro considering my specific use case and it being a couple of years old now?

I could also consider a Surface Pro if there was a model I could find within my budget, and I know this would offer more traditional PC options which might pan out to be convenient, but if the drawing isn't as good then I can just do the PC things I need on my other two devices.

If you do have something in mind, then I'm after a specific model and price. I'm in the UK.

Anyway, advice welcome! Looking to buy it at some point in the next two weeks. Thanks!

OP
OP
Shogmaster

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a tablet that I can use to draw on the screen to practise my digital illustration. My budget is £800-1000.

I'll be using it 90% for this. The rest will be light browsing/watching movies. I might also use it to code some light front end stuff (just HTML and CSS), but the primary function will be as an art tablet.

My conflict here is that the Ipad is apparently much better for art, and but not so hot with development. But as my development would mostly be a convenience thing when I didn't want to sit with my laptop or at my desktop, if the art experience is much better I would forgo being able to develop on tablet at all.

Looking at Apple's site right now, they're selling a refurbished Gen 3 12.9 256GB for £800, and the Apple Pencil 2 is £119. This is all well within my budget. Would there be any issues with buying a Gen 3 Pro considering my specific use case and it being a couple of years old now?

I could also consider a Surface Pro if there was a model I could find within my budget, and I know this would offer more traditional PC options which might pan out to be convenient, but if the drawing isn't as good then I can just do the PC things I need on my other two devices.

If you do have something in mind, then I'm after a specific model and price. I'm in the UK.

Anyway, advice welcome! Looking to buy it at some point in the next two weeks. Thanks!
Apple Pencil is very nice but Wacom EMR is IMO better. If you can score a Wacom EMR device with decent KB you should be set for both art and coding. Samsung convertibles are expensive but maybe you can find a deal on a new one. In the US, my Samsung Notebook 9 Pro 15" was going for $950 at one point new. Even though it's 2 gens older, new ones still can be found and the specs aren't terrible (8550U 4GHz quad core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB RX540 GPU). Most importantly though, it has Wacom EMR pen. Just make sure it's rocking Wacom EMR bc other Samsung convertibles do use AES pen.

You can also try Wacom AES and MS MPP pen devices if you tend to draw with a swift hand. If you draw like how Sloths move (slow and steady), then AES and MPP tend to jitter noticeably in diagonal strokes. Otherwise, they are just as good as Apple Pencil now.

Last edited:

Bearwolf

Oct 27, 2017
Hey everyone,

I have the surface pro 4, and it is terrible for anything other than quick sketching. There is severe pen jitter/wobble when trying to do detailed work, and from what I hear isn't fixed in the newer surface models. Ipad pro blows it out of the water, but the lack of windows apps definitely hurts it.

OP
OP
Shogmaster

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
I have the surface pro 4, and it is terrible for anything other than quick sketching. There is severe pen jitter/wobble when trying to do detailed work, and from what I hear isn't fixed in the newer surface models. Ipad pro blows it out of the water, but the lack of windows apps definitely hurts it.
Yep. It's all about that jitter... SP4 is doubly worse than current Surface Pro since it also lacks PixelSense pen accelerator chip that new ones have (except Surface GO IIRC). So it's jittery and does not update pen position as fast.

Until OEMs start spending more money on denser grid digitizers, jitter will remain for AES and MPP devices. And unfortunately most Windows OEMs add the pen funtion for note taking, not art. Ones that advertise for art tend to use Wacom EMR because it has grid density to rival Apple's digitizers (Acer ConceptD 9 and Hp ZBook X2 for examples). But then again, that's why Apple won't make a digitizer bigger than 12.9". It's prohibitively expensive for capacitive digitizers to go bigger with such grid density.

Wacom EMR is the only digitizer type that allows jitter free action while giving you big ass screens to boot (Cintiq Pro 32" anyone?).

OP
OP
Shogmaster

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
Hey Shog! Didja get your Lenovo Flex yet?? I have one in my Amazon shopping cart. Waiting for your impressions before I pull trigger. ☺
Amazon keeps telling me I'll have it tonight by 9pm. OK... after the curfew? Are you gonna get the driver shot by LAPD?!?

I'm expecting the thing tomorrow at this point...

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Hey everyone,

I'm a Surface Pro 4+6 owner, and ipad pro 11" 2018 owner. I really like the Surface Pro line but nothing competes with the ipad+pencil for digital art, so long as you're happy to commit to Procreate for artwork.

I'm UK too and I used CEX to get my ipad + pencil discounted earlier this year. It's got plenty of power to spare so you'll be fine for updates and battery for years.

Bearwolf

Oct 27, 2017
Yep. It's all about that jitter... SP4 is doubly worse than current Surface Pro since it also lacks PixelSense pen accelerator chip that new ones have (except Surface GO IIRC). So it's jittery and does not update pen position as fast.

Until OEMs start spending more money on denser grid digitizers, jitter will remain for AES and MPP devices. And unfortunately most Windows OEMs add the pen funtion for note taking, not art. Ones that advertise for art tend to use Wacom EMR because it has grid density to rival Apple's digitizers (Acer ConceptD 9 and Hp ZBook X2 for examples). But then again, that's why Apple won't make a digitizer bigger than 12.9". It's prohibitively expensive for capacitive digitizers to go bigger with such grid density.

Wacom EMR is the only digitizer type that allows jitter free action while giving you big ass screens to boot (Cintiq Pro 32" anyone?).

Yeah, next big purchase will be a device with Wacom EMR. Luckily I still get some use out of the surface for very rough animation to clean up when I get home, but as soon as I'm able to, I'm putting it on the bench.

Mobius 1

Oct 27, 2017
North Point, Osean Federation
Hey everyone,

The Gen3 iPad Pro is a beast that has not even seen a proper stress test yet, it should have enough power for the next few years. If you'd like a no-nonsense device with excellent art capabilities, I'd recommend it.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, thanks a lot everyone. I will check out the wacom devices for sure before I decide, but the 2018 ipad is sounding good right now.

Appreciate the feedback!

OP
OP
Shogmaster

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
Ok, thanks a lot everyone. I will check out the wacom devices for sure before I decide, but the 2018 ipad is sounding good right now.

Appreciate the feedback!
I would suggest only trying and find a Wacom EMR device if you are considering iPad Pros for ~$1000. Otherwise, just go for the 2019 base iPad + Pencil for around $400 and call it a day. That's a great value if you don't plan to do huge print art that requires more than 3GB of RAM in the iPad.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I'm getting a Surface Book 3 15" this week and I'm looking forward to seeing how the pen feels. I currently use a Surface Pro 6 and I don't have trouble with the pen, but my requirements are obviously less nuanced.

I don't use Photoshop either for a bunch of reasons, and I'll be using this mostly in Clip, Krita and sculpting in Blender.

Lenovo Flex 5 14" 2020 Ryzen 4500U hands on impressions
OP
OP
Shogmaster

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
Oh wow this thing... New king of Penabled 2 in 1 value is here!

I just received the unit and only had time to open up the insides and install Clip Studio Paint and take it on a trial run for an hour.

Some quick facts:

1.You need T5 screw driver to get inside. A guitar pick or something similar soft and firm for prying it open is also recommended.

2. RAM is soldered on but PCIe SSD is available. Yes it has 16GB but they are 4 RAM chips soldered on. The 256GB PCIe SSD is a half height one (2240?), but replacing it with full size 2280 M.2 unit should be very easy.

3. The Wacom AES pen comes in the box. It's along with the power brick so be careful not to toss it by accident.

4. You can charge the unit with the USB-C port. It charged pretty fast with my 59W USB-C charger.

5. The screen is IPS. Unknown color accuracy and gamut but looks good by eye. Pretty bright looking too. 300ish nits?

6. KB is the usual Lenovo quality. Nice amount of travel. Good bounce.

7. Track pad is not glass but seems good enough.

8. The performance BLOWS AWAY my older Core i7 8550U Samsung with descrete GPU. Night and day. WOW. Watch the video of 2000px complex brush in quick circles action.

9. The diagonal pen jitter is nicely controlled. You can definitely see the difference when compared to Wacom EMR device like the Samsung Notebook 9 Pro, but as far as AES digitizers go, this is the second best one for controlling jitter (The best was the 24" Lenovo AIO). Most people should be more than satisfied with the pen action unless you are too use to EMR or Apple pencil and you draw reeally slowly.

10. New Feel driver works on the Flex 5. Gives you Wintab driver as well as ability to map the pen barrel buttons. Once installed it can be accessed via programs list in Start menu.

IN CONCLUSION, unless you need more than 16GB of RAM (like me), this is THE art tablet value of the decade. $600 for all this is FUCKING AMAZING. Too bad I need more RAM or I'd definitely keep it. Maybe Lenovo will make one with more RAM as option for me...

102888625_3447541491933014_9155820881417601024_o.jpg

101408352_3447541508599679_4528160625485938688_o.jpg

101689949_3447541471933016_4487615185023926272_o.jpg

102840896_3447541478599682_1929641996213813248_o.jpg

102852358_3447541408599689_954475791985410048_o.jpg

101867541_3447541535266343_551258876347940864_o.jpg

102381599_3447541505266346_4267808826217988096_o.jpg

101969848_3447541615266335_3587429351617986560_o.jpg

102917081_3447541591933004_8474221941048213504_o.jpg

101823114_3447541631933000_6772492732288991232_o.jpg

102880012_3447541605266336_8837980919122886656_o.jpg

101890905_3447541681932995_8737308023870980096_o.jpg

82269349_3447541421933021_7733971923717062656_o.jpg

101856063_3447541348599695_8115533330780258304_o.jpg

101793190_3447541365266360_6297757752110350336_o.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shogmaster

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
Some new realizations playing around with the Flex 5 14 Ryzen 4500U:

1. Stabilization setting DOES make a difference for diagonal wobble in CSP.

102408756_3455701117783718_713885020783547365_o.jpg

2. I was wrong about R5 4500U vs i7 8550U performance difference in CSP. CSP brushes are mostly apparently very single threaded and clock speed dependent. The video I made earlier showing big difference in 2000 pixel Color Pencil brush, even though I made sure was both using max performance slider via battery icon in taskbar for both machines, is in fact about the same between the two machines IF YOU MAKE SURE THAT THEY ARE BOTH PLUGGED IN TO AC. Apparently in new version of Win10, "max Performance" between on batteries and on AC are TWO VERY DIFFERENT THINGS! *smacks forehead* Thanks MS!

3. I RE-realized something I learned long time ago: Wacom AES is MUCH MORE CPU dependent on performance than Wacom EMR. Perhaps this is where MPP also has advantage over AES now days with Pixelsense accelerator (not sure). But say with 50 pixel wide chalk brush in CSP, i7 8550U using batteries on Sammy N9P still gives you buttery smooth pen action even when you go nuts with the speed of the drawing. But with the R5 4500U in the Flex 5, you just don't get similar buttery pen action until you plug in the unit so the 4500U can go at max clock speed. Is it possible that perhaps the RX540 in the N9P is giving advantage over the built in Vega 6 in the 4600U for the Flex 5? I don't know... But my gut feeling says that with AES, Wacom cheaped out and are passing off all the pen calculations to the host computer's CPU while the N9P's EMR has dedicated ASIC for pen calculations (or accelerator if you will). The reason I say this is because I remember even the potato of the CPU in the Asus Vivotab Note 8 still gave me buttery smooth pen action in CSP with its EMR digitizer and pen, WAY out performing MPP pen performance in Surface 3 (with much faster CPU than Note 8) I had at the time.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I got a huion 16 pro. It sbeen pretty great, but lately I've been having a problem where if I'm drawing consecutive lines fast, one line will just be fat like I drew it full force. It's driving me insane. I can't find anything online about what might be happening. Any ideas? I can post an example a little later if it helps.

OP
OP
Shogmaster

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
Thanks!

I got a huion 16 pro. It sbeen pretty great, but lately I've been having a problem where if I'm drawing consecutive lines fast, one line will just be fat like I drew it full force. It's driving me insane. I can't find anything online about what might be happening. Any ideas? I can post an example a little later if it helps.
I'd try to find a newer driver if available. Same with a newer firmware.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
So my girlfriend wants to do some art so she's thinking of getting a tablet for her laptop, but I'm really undecided on what to suggest for her.

In regards to Wacom I was thinking of suggesting either the One by Wacom (pen tablet), or the Wacom One (pen display). The former is cheap and potentially a good starting point, but the latter I feel would be a better investment. I also think it would be easier for someone who has never used a tablet before.

There's so many other options though, so if anyone has any suggestions that would be more than appreciated!

In other news I noticed a small hairline scratch on my Cintiq Pro 24. It's nothing major whatsoever, but it's frustrating to have. It's still within warranty but I feel it would be more hassle than it's worth to try and sort out.

Samsung Notebook 9 Pro 15 for $999 @ Microsoft store
OP
OP
Shogmaster

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
THE BEST mobile Clip Studio Paint device is on sub $1000 sale again! (Probably the last chance to buy thing thing brand new in any case)

www.microsoft.com

Samsung Notebook 9 Pro 15 NP940X5N-X01US Laptop

• 15.0-inch Full HD touchscreen • Intel i7 8th Gen • 16GB memory/256GB SSD

RE4vyiq

As much as I'm impressed with the sheer value of the Lenovo Flex 5 14 Rysen 5 4500u 16GB RAM for $600 on Amazon, there is no denying that the best possible portable Clip Studio Paint device on the planet is the Samsung Notebook 9 Pro (YES. even better than any of the iPad Pros with sublime Wacom EMR digitizer and pen,16GB of RAM, NVMe slot you can shove in up to 2TB M.2, USB A ports you can either hook up any wireless KB or better yet Wacom Expresskey Remote for invaluable shortcut key action).

Notebook 9 Pro has been replaced in Samsung line up via 2 gens of successive Wacom EMR 2 in 1s (Notebook 9 Pen and now Galaxy Flex), but I prefer this older Notebook 9 Pro 15" version to the new ones due to:
1. 16GB of RAM onboard (vs only 12GB MAX for US version of Galaxy Flex 15.6")
2. Two USB A 3.0 ports (vs fucking ZERO in the Galaxy Flex)
3. Easier to take out S pen (no stupid button to click to pop out like Notebook 9 Pen and Galaxy Flex. just use your fingernail to nudge out easily)
4. Unpainted aluminum casing that isn't fingerprint magnets like Notebook 9 Pen and Galaxy Flex.

The Intel quad core 15W i7 in all three iterations are pretty much the same 14nm+++++ nonsense Intel's been shoveling for the last 4 years so not much difference in power either between the three. And the $999 version on sale at MS store is fully decked out SKU with 16GB of RAM and discrete Radeon 540 2GB GPU that while won't set gaming world on fire by any means, will do a nice job of accelerating 2D and video editing apps. while not stealing precious RAM away from the system memory.

Buy the Notebook 9 Pro, replace the 256GB SATA SSD with bigger NVMe (M.2 slot is NVMe capable - Samsung just cheaped out shipping it with a SATA unit), and maybe pick up the Wacom Expresskey remote for mapping KB shortcuts and you have a sub 4 lb Windows convertible that will give you positively SUBLIME Clip Studio Paint experience on the go.

So, for each budget I suggest (as of June 2020) for you Clip Studio Paint lovers:

* Up to $499: 2019 iPad 10.2 32GB with Apple Pencil (~$450 before tax)
* $500~899: 2020 Lenovo Flex 5 14" Ryzen 4500u 16/256GB ($599 before tax at Amazon)
* $900~2000: 2018 Samsung Notebook 9 Pro 15" i7 8550u Radeon540 16/256GB ($999 before tax at MS store)

Last edited:

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
So my girlfriend wants to do some art so she's thinking of getting a tablet for her laptop, but I'm really undecided on what to suggest for her.

In regards to Wacom I was thinking of suggesting either the One by Wacom (pen tablet), or the Wacom One (pen display). The former is cheap and potentially a good starting point, but the latter I feel would be a better investment. I also think it would be easier for someone who has never used a tablet before.

There's so many other options though, so if anyone has any suggestions that would be more than appreciated!

In other news I noticed a small hairline scratch on my Cintiq Pro 24. It's nothing major whatsoever, but it's frustrating to have. It's still within warranty but I feel it would be more hassle than it's worth to try and sort out.

Is Huion worth considering?

OP
OP
Shogmaster

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
I can't believe Wacom has the balls to sell 13.3" UD series pen display without multi touch for $400...

Wait... I can believe it. lolol
[edited crucial typo]

Last edited:

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I can't believe Wacom has the balls to sell 13.3" UD series pen display with ,multi touch for $400...

Wait... I can believe it. lolol
Doesn't Wacom charge $400 or so extra for multi touch on cintiq? It's a relief to know it's included for the Wacom One. I take it for granted these days.

OP
OP
Shogmaster

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
Doesn't Wacom charge $400 or so extra for multi touch on cintiq? It's a relief to know it's included for the Wacom One. I take it for granted these days.
OOPS I typed too fast. I meant to type WITHOUT multitouch. Wacom ONE don't have multitouch...

I means it's $200 away from that Flex 5 Ryzen 4500u. I mean I love me some Wacom EMR action but come on. At least throw in Multitouch in there for that price! It's 13.3", not 24". 13.3" multitouch digitizer glass is MAYBE $20 BOM...

Last edited:

artsi

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
OOPS I typed too fast. I meant to type WITHOUT multitouch. Wacom ONE don't have multitouch...

I means it's $200 away from that Flex 5 Ryzen 4500u. I mean I love me some Wacom EMR action but come on. At least throw in Multitouch in there for that price! It's 13.3", not 24". 13.3" multitouch digitizer glass is MAYBE $20 BOM...

Wacom's going to Wacom themselves into obscurity soon if they don't change their strategy.

Looking at something you can get for $800 in either iPad Pro or a Windows 2-in-1 tablet, there's every day less reason to invest in a Wacom screen or tablet.

OP
OP
Shogmaster

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
Shogmaster do you know if the oem pens for 13in and 15in Notebook 9 Pros the same size?
I'm 99.9% sure that they are. I bought some replacements on Amazon for the 15" Let me see if I can find the link I bought from.

Amazon.com: Replacement Stylus S Pen Touch Pen,Biuboom Digitizer Pen for Samsung Galaxy Notebook 9 Pro 13" 15" NP940X3M NP940X3N NP940X5M NP940X5N Touch Stylus Accessories 100% Tested Replacement Tips/Nibs-Grey : Electronics

Buy Replacement Stylus S Pen Touch Pen,Biuboom Digitizer Pen for Samsung Galaxy Notebook 9 Pro 13" 15" NP940X3M NP940X3N NP940X5M NP940X5N Touch Stylus Accessories 100% Tested Replacement Tips/Nibs-Grey: Styluses - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases

I also bought this Galaxy Tab S3 replacement pen.

Amazon.com: Biu-Boom S Pen Tab S3 Stylus Pen Replacement for Samsung Galaxy Spen 9.7 SM-T820 SM-T825 T827 EJ-PT820BBEGUJ Touch Screen Stylet for Samsung S Pen for Tab S3/Tab A/Note/Galaxy Book+Tips/Nibs(Black): Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: Biu-Boom S Pen Tab S3 Stylus Pen Replacement for Samsung Galaxy Spen 9.7 SM-T820 SM-T825 T827 EJ-PT820BBEGUJ Touch Screen Stylet for Samsung S Pen for Tab S3/Tab A/Note/Galaxy Book+Tips/Nibs(Black): Computers & Accessories

Both pens work very well. I have hard tip in the silo pen npw and rubber tip in the S3 pen. hard tip gives you better IAF but rubber tip give you better control if you want to slow down your stroke. I'm leaning towards replacing the S3 pen with hard tip as well.

OP
OP
Shogmaster

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
Wacom's going to Wacom themselves into obscurity soon if they don't change their strategy.

Looking at something you can get for $800 in either iPad Pro or a Windows 2-in-1 tablet, there's every day less reason to invest in a Wacom screen or tablet.
If you can stretch the budget to $1090, the MS store Notebook 9 Pro sale is an unbeatable steal if you intend to mostly do 2D stuff and want the best device.

www.microsoft.com

Samsung Notebook 9 Pro 15 NP940X5N-X01US Laptop

• 15.0-inch Full HD touchscreen • Intel i7 8th Gen • 16GB memory/256GB SSD

Otherwise you can save $$$ and get the Flex 5 14" Ryzen 4500u from Amazon. RIDICULOUS deal....

At that price range I just can't recommend iPad Pros, especially for professionals., when these things exist...

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 99.9% sure that they are. I bought some replacements on Amazon for the 15" Let me see if I can find the link I bought from.

Amazon.com: Replacement Stylus S Pen Touch Pen,Biuboom Digitizer Pen for Samsung Galaxy Notebook 9 Pro 13" 15" NP940X3M NP940X3N NP940X5M NP940X5N Touch Stylus Accessories 100% Tested Replacement Tips/Nibs-Grey : Electronics

Buy Replacement Stylus S Pen Touch Pen,Biuboom Digitizer Pen for Samsung Galaxy Notebook 9 Pro 13" 15" NP940X3M NP940X3N NP940X5M NP940X5N Touch Stylus Accessories 100% Tested Replacement Tips/Nibs-Grey: Styluses - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases

I also bought this Galaxy Tab S3 replacement pen.

Both pens work very well. I have hard tip in the silo pen npw and rubber tip in the S3 pen. hard tip gives you better IAF but rubber tip give you better control if you want to slow down your stroke. I'm leaning towards replacing the S3 pen with hard tip as well.

Perfect, thanks.