• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Shogmaster

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
More for the larger screen than anything
I see.

Although at that point, I'd suggest going with something like Lenovo Yoga 730 13.3" or 15.6" for about $800. Much bigger screen and a lot more useful for doing serious work.

Also would be significantly cheaper than 13" Pro with decent storage size plus Apple Pencil.

Last edited:

Big Boy

Oct 25, 2017
I see.

Although at that point, I'd suggest going with something like Lenovo Yoga 730 13.3" or 15.6" for about $800. Much bigger screen and a lot more useful for doing serious work.

Also would be significantly cheaper than 13" Pro with decent storage size plus Apple Pencil.

I will take a look. Thanks

luffie

Dec 20, 2017
Indonesia
Artist here, just wanna share my 2 cents.

If you are doing art as a hobby for fun, the ipad pro 11/13 inch is great. Coupled with Procreate, which is the best painting software on Ipad (till Photoshop arrives), you are good to go.

But if you want to dive deeper, do some real cool work, maybe even go professional, the Ipad is really NOT recommended. Since it is actually more troublesome to do art on a touch device without a keyboard, and Ipad's file management system is just plain retarded.

So I'd actually recommend getting an actual laptop, most importantly, focus on having a dedicated graphics card, NOT integrated ones, and having sufficient RAM. The ram for the graphic card is ideally 2gb, and your laptop RAM is ideally 8gb and above, these specs will give you quite a smooth performance. Don't worry about CPU speed, most laptop nowadays have more than enough.

Then get a tablet. Huion for cheaper range, and Wacom as industry standard. I don't have a Huion so i can't attest for the quality, tried it once at a shop, seem decent enough.
What I have is Wacom Intuos 3, a very old model, but imho, it is an excellent investment since it functions perfectly till now, even though I have dropped it twice. And if you don't draw very hard, the pen nib can last for very long, for I have not once changed my nib.

I have both the Ipad pro and laptop, so I think my assessment is pretty accurate. If you have any questions, you can ask me of course.

Big Boy

Oct 25, 2017
I do have a wacom tablet for my desktop but have struggled with the disconnect of the image being separate from where my hand is. I am finding it easier to work directly on the screen hence looking at touchscreen options, and also want something I can travel with.

I'm fairly new to digital painting in general, coming from more traditional mediums so I know some of it is just habit and practice but I do think for me at least, touch screen is definitely the way to go.

I was thinking iPad pro because Procreate looks really good and for the larger size over the regular iPad, the but the Lenovo also looks good.

Base 10.1 can be found for around $250 new in US. Should be similar price there.

I think I was looking at the wrong one before. £300 for iPad which is a pretty big difference. Only seem to have the 9.7 here though which is a fair bit smaller than I would like but at that price I might just have to accept it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shogmaster

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
I do have a wacom tablet for my desktop but have struggled with the disconnect of the image being separate from where my hand is. I am finding it easier to work directly on the screen hence looking at touchscreen options, and also want something I can travel with.

I'm fairly new to digital painting in general, coming from more traditional mediums so I know some of it is just habit and practice but I do think for me at least, touch screen is definitely the way to go.

I was thinking iPad pro because Procreate looks really good and for the larger size over the regular iPad, the but the Lenovo also looks good.
Procreate is damn good deal if your primary aim is painting. If you are more of line art guy, I really think it's subpar.

For line art, I highly recommend Clip Studio Paint, which is available for Windows, OSX, and iOS. Kinda expensive on iOS but super affordable on Windows and OSX ($50).

OP
OP
Shogmaster

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
As for device with draw on screen, a separate pen display is a good option if you don't care about being mobile. Terrible option if you need to be. That's why Im so gung ho on Windows 2in1s. Super versatile no matter your needs.

Big Boy

Oct 25, 2017
Procreate is damn good deal if your primary aim is painting. If you are more of line art guy, I really think it's subpar.

For line art, I highly recommend Clip Studio Paint, which is available for Windows, OSX, and iOS. Kinda expensive on iOS but super affordable on Windows and OSX ($50).

Purely interested in painting

As for device with draw on screen, a separate pen display is a good option if you don't care about being mobile. Terrible option if you need to be. That's why Im so gung ho on Windows 2in1s. Super versatile no matter your needs.

The Lenovo 2in1 you linked earlier is really appealing especially as I could use Photoshop

OP
OP
Shogmaster

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
Purely interested in painting

The Lenovo 2in1 you linked earlier is really appealing especially as I could use Photoshop
Of course you can use Photoshop. It's got Intel quad core i5/i7. 15.6" version should even let you upgrade RAM if your project become too much for 8GB of RAM.

But the best part is that it's one of the cheapest device to use Wacom AES 2.0 tech and have proper Wacom Wintab available.

Big Boy

Oct 25, 2017
Of course you can use Photoshop. It's got Intel quad core i5/i7. 15.6" version should even let you upgrade RAM if your project become too much for 8GB of RAM.

But the best part is that it's one of the cheapest device to use Wacom AES 2.0 tech and have proper Wacom Wintab available.

Is the i5 one good enough or better to get the i7?

Also, is the Lenovo pen the best option or would a Wacom one be better?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shogmaster

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
Is the i5 one good enough or better to get the i7?

Also, is the Lenovo pen the best option or would a Wacom one be better?
I think i5 8250U is plenty good. i7 8550U or 8650U is definitely faster but not amazing difference.

As for the pen, the Lenovo one is made by Wacom. But IIRC you have to buy separately ($60 here in the states for the proper AES 2.0 pen).

BTW Wacom has yet to update their Bamboo AES pens to AES 2.0 so there's that.

Big Boy

Oct 25, 2017
I think i5 8250U is plenty good. i7 8550U or 8650U is definitely faster but not amazing difference.

As for the pen, the Lenovo one is made by Wacom. But IIRC you have to buy separately ($60 here in the states for the proper AES 2.0 pen).

BTW Wacom has yet to update their Bamboo AES pens to AES 2.0 so there's that.

Brill. Thanks for all the advice. It's greatly appreciated.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
I feel like the iPad Pro is probably my best foray into getting back into digital drawing without having to buy another tablet.

OP
OP
Shogmaster

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
I feel like the iPad Pro is probably my best foray into getting back into digital drawing without having to buy another tablet.
Why are ppl so eager to spend $700+ when $350 will get them the base iPad 10.1 plus Apple Pencil? Makes no sense to me...

Unless you are saying you already own an iPad Pro and you only have to buy then Pencil or something like that ..

Big Boy

Oct 25, 2017
Too bad you don't live in the states cuz this thing is pretty much perfect for you.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo...b-ssd-platinum-silver/6295992.p?skuId=6295992

I have no idea if that exact model is sold there or what it would be called...

That model doesn't seem to be available here.

Found it on Newegg though which does ship to the UK but will end up costing around £1500 after import duty. I'm not in a rush so I've got time to shop around.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Why are ppl so eager to spend $700+ when $350 will get them the base iPad 10.1 plus Apple Pencil? Makes no sense to me...

Unless you are saying you already own an iPad Pro and you only have to buy then Pencil or something like that ..
I have a steep discount on it thats the only reason I'm going for it.

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone have any experience with Affinity Photo? Apparently it supports photoshop brushes which I didn't know about. I use Affinity Designer now and again and its not bad despite having its own quirks.

OP
OP
Shogmaster

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
Remember that Lenovo Surface Studio killer I posted about? Well it's not even at the stores yet but Best Buy has pit it on sale for $1999, $300 less than the MSRP, which was already so much less expensive than the Surface Studio.

6325579_rd.jpg;maxHeight=1000;maxWidth=1000

6325579ld.jpg;maxHeight=1000;maxWidth=1000

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo...olid-state-drive-gray/6325579.p?skuId=6325579

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FXeIhNVyAg

The only problem is that you will have to wait until 25th for delivery. I guess Lenovo is having problem meeting demands in production.

Like I said before in past, this is a far better pen based productivity machine than Surface Studio:
1. Much more powerful CPU (desktop 65W hexcore i7-8700 instead of laptop quad core 45W i7-7820HQ).
2. Much better pen with Wacom AES 2.0, along with proper Wacom Feel Wintab driver
3. More practical dial accessory than the puck of the SS2.
4. Easily upgradeable RAM and storage (single panel on the top exposes 2 SoDIMM slots, M.2 PCIe, and 3.5" SATA slots).
5. Better port selection including Thunderbolt 3 USB-C and full size HDMI.

All that for $2K is pretty crazy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shogmaster

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
Lowest priced Wacom AES 2.0 device?!? Lenovo Flex 6 model 81EM0014US for $550 at Newegg (via Lenovo)!

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAHRC8BK4268&ignorebbr=1

0.jpg

I can't be 100% sure if it's using AES 2.0 panel, but given the quad core CPU and that it's latest Flex (6), I'm fairly confident that it's gonna be AES 2.0, which would mean that this is the lowest price I've seen for such device.

But given such low price, I'm gonna have to guess that the pen does not come in the package. You would have to buy it from Lenovo separately for $60.

The specs are pretty good for the cost as well:
- Core i5 8250U quad core
- 8GB of RAM (likely upgrdeable)
- 256GB PCIe SSD (also likely upgradeable)
- 14" 1920x1080 IPS (97% sRGB, 75% Adobe RGB)

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How good is the current gen iPad for art? It's not as prohibitively expensive as the Pro version and has pen support, so I was thinking it'd be nice to finally have the ability to look at my pen and my art and the same time.

OP
OP
Shogmaster

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
How good is the current gen iPad for art? It's not as prohibitively expensive as the Pro version and has pen support, so I was thinking it'd be nice to finally have the ability to look at my pen and my art and the same time.
The base 10.1 is good as iPad Pros for art IMO.
You just don't get fancy stuff like laminated screen nor 120Hz refresh but those things are not going to impact your drawing with the pen, and for $250 market price plus $100 for the pen, it's hard to beat. As long as art you will be doing is fairly light and won't be limited by the 2GB of RAM, you should be fine.

But if you are doing more serious work than just doodling, you will have to decide to stick with iOS in iPad Pros for more usable RAM amount, or step into something like that Flex 6 Lenovo above which are available for less price than iPad Pros and comes with full desktop capability as well as software compatibility.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The base 10.1 is good as iPad Pros for art IMO.
You just don't get fancy stuff like laminated screen nor 120Hz refresh but those things are not going to impact your drawing with the pen, and for $250 market price plus $100 for the pen, it's hard to beat. As long as art you will be doing is fairly light and won't be limited by the 2GB of RAM, you should be fine.

But if you are doing more serious work than just doodling, you will have to decide to stick with iOS in iPad Pros for more usable RAM amount, or step into something like that Flex 6 Lenovo above which are available for less price than iPad Pros and comes with full desktop capability as well as software compatibility.

Is there some way where I can mirror my desktop screen to the iPad if I get it? I run a webcomic, my art can be pretty detailed, and I currently run a small Intuos Pro and Clip Studio Paint on my windows desktop.

OP
OP
Shogmaster

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
Is there some way where I can mirror my desktop screen to the iPad if I get it? I run a webcomic, my art can be pretty detailed, and I currently run a small Intuos Pro and Clip Studio Paint on my windows desktop.
Not without lag.

You are better off with that Lenovo honestly. 10.1" vs 14" is pretty big difference when you are doing real work (you will also use the 8GB RAM). Also your Clip Studio license can carry over where as the iPad you will have to pay $9 or something per month.

Oct 27, 2017
Been getting back into drawing lately and I'm curious what's a good cheap drawing tablet to use? Also good art software? Been leaning toward Studio Clip

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not without lag.

You are better off with that Lenovo honestly. 10.1" vs 14" is pretty big difference when you are doing real work (you will also use the 8GB RAM). Also your Clip Studio license can carry over where as the iPad you will have to pay $9 or something per month.

Ah... Well, I wasn't planning on spending more than what the iPad is worth so I guess I'm shit outta luck. How much lag are we talking about here?

OP
OP
Shogmaster

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
Been getting back into drawing lately and I'm curious what's a good cheap drawing tablet to use? Also good art software? Been leaning toward Studio Clip
For plain tablets, I'd go with base Intuos for $100. Yes, you can find decent tablets for less, but your extra money gets you better support driver/software. It's should marry well with Clip Studio Paint (base Pro version for 50).

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
After the abysmal Macbook Pro refresh and my continued frustration with unresponsive touch on my iPad Pro, I'm thinking I'm the market for a Thinkpad.

I'm thinking of getting a X1 yoga since that one seems to have the best of both worlds (the X1's performance and the Yoga's 360 degree hinge) and a stowable Wacom AES pen to boot.

OP
OP
Shogmaster

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
After the abysmal Macbook Pro refresh and my continued frustration with unresponsive touch on my iPad Pro, I'm thinking I'm the market for a Thinkpad.

I'm thinking of getting a X1 yoga since that one seems to have the best of both worlds (the X1's performance and the Yoga's 360 degree hinge) and a stowable Wacom AES pen to boot.
Unresponsive touch on iPad pros? That doesn't sound right. You might need to use Apple Care on that unit.

Going to X1 Yoga (not sure if it's been updated to AES 2.0) is not going to give you more responsive touch than iPads. Windows has to contend with more stuff than iOS when it comes to interacting with the UI. I'm sure just the mouse layer would make it less responsive to touch.

Anyways, my fav mobile Thinkbook for pen action currently is the X1 Extreme. It does not have a Yoga hinge, do you will have to draw on it flattened or my fav, upside down, but is a much superior machine to anything out there. And it just got updated to 9th gen Intel cores and GTX 1650.

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
Unresponsive touch on iPad pros? That doesn't sound right. You might need to use Apple Care on that unit.
Yeah, I might need to get that sorted out with Apple Support. Clip Studio has been rendered damn near unusable because of unresponsiveness. Same issue in Safari, though it's less of a dealbreaker there.
Going to X1 Yoga (not sure if it's been updated to AES 2.0) is not going to give you more responsive touch than iPads. Windows has to contend with more stuff than iOS when it comes to interacting with the UI. I'm sure just the mouse layer would make it less responsive to touch.

Anyways, my fav mobile Thinkbook for pen action currently is the X1 Extreme. It does not have a Yoga hinge, do you will have to draw on it flattened or my fav, upside down, but is a much superior machine to anything out there. And it just got updated to 9th gen Intel cores and GTX 1650.
I need a new laptop to replace my aging 2010 Macbook Pro (the iPad Pro is not a suitable laptop replacement despite what Apple would have you believe) and a 2 in 1 just makes the most sense in 2019. The X1 Extreme is definitely on my radar but I would have to get used to using it "flattened" to draw.

I think I read that the 4th gen X1 Yoga coming out next month has AES 2.0 but I might be wrong.

Caddywomus

Banned
May 21, 2019
Hey Shogmaster, (or anyone with a Yoga 730)

I was looking at the Yoga 730 but the reviews of the flickering screen have me worried. It sounds like the cause is due to a wire getting pinched in the hinge. Did Lenovo address this issue or is this still a problem to worry about with this model?

May 15, 2018
Denmark

I was looking at the Yoga 730 but the reviews of the flickering screen have me worried. It sounds like the cause is due to a wire getting pinched in the hinge. Did Lenovo address this issue or is this still a problem to worry about with this model?

Nothing I've encountered in my 730 though the fans run a bit much for my liking. Could a lemon though.
There are some underclock issues as well which I don't know if have been improved by patches.

EDIT: Do you have a link to a review which mentions this?

OP
OP
Shogmaster

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017

First time hearing about flickering screen. No one else complained AFAIK but I don't own a 730 nor hang out with someone who does.

Caddywomus

Banned
May 21, 2019
Another crazy deal, this time for Amazon Prime members only.

Yoga 730 15.6" with 8250U, 8GB RAM. and 256GB NVMe SSD for $727

51xa-FMfLPL._SL1000_.jpg

It's another AES 2.0 device, so you can have things like pen tilt if you get the right pen like the Dell pen mentioned previously.
I followed this link and there were a number that mentioned the screen flickering issue. Then I started searching if this was patched later but it sounds like it's a construction issue with the hinge pinching a wire.

EDIT: Here is a quick link to the Lenovo forums about this issue

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shogmaster

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
That thread is not very informative unfortunately. I'm not even sure if they are talking about the same model at this point since there are 3 sizes of Yoga 730 (12.5", 13.3", and 15.6"). I highly doubt all three sizes have the same problem, otherwise Tabletpcreview forum ppl would have made a stink.

But obviously some are having problems with the 13.3" (which BTW is not the size in the sales link) and it's impossible to tell if it's a small production run problem, or design flaw issue. It's hard to see Lenovo having design flaws on Yoga hinges though, since they been doing Yoga hinges so long and make so many Yoga models...

BoosterDuck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Clip Studio can run through virtualization on Windows Lite then I'm immediately jumping ship because W10's tablet mode is buttcheeks.

OP
OP
Shogmaster

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
If Clip Studio can run through virtualization on Windows Lite then I'm immediately jumping ship because W10's tablet mode is buttcheeks.

I'm more curious about how Win32 apps perform on Qualcomm 8cx chips in emu mode. Would it give similar performance in practice to a 15W Core i5 in native mode? A 7W chip performing the same on CSP as 15W chip is pretty exciting, especially being forced to do it in emulation...

jjreamPop

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously looking into the Lenovos or Surfaces to replace my current high-performance totally-not-portable-or-touchscreen vacuum cleaner. I don't have desk space, so the Wacom Cintiqs are out of the running right now.

I really like the detachable nature of the Surface Pro and Surface Book, but not the price (which is probably paying for said... detachability).
The Yoga 730 is nice,, but I'm worried about having to reach over the keyboard to draw. The "tent" position isn't all the appealing as I'd like access to the keyboard without having to flip the machine back and forth (I tend to chat or want to google or do whatever while sketching).

Long story short, I'm kind of used to having an Intuos, which sat in front of my keyboard, and I'm worried about how I'll comfortable draw now if I switch to a laptop I draw on instead. Has anyone else had this issue/worry?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shogmaster

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
Seriously looking into the Lenovos or Surfaces to replace my current high-performance totally-not-portable-or-touchscreen vacuum cleaner. I don't have desk space, so the Wacom Cintiqs are out of the running right now.

I really like the detachable nature of the Surface Pro and Surface Book, but not the price (which is probably paying for said... detachability).
The Lenovo 2-in-1 and Yoga 730 (C930?) are both nice (do they both use AES 2.0?), but I'm worried about having to reach over the keyboard to draw. The "tent" position isn't all the appealing as I'd like access to the keyboard without having to flip the machine back and forth (I tend to chat or want to google or do whatever while sketching).

Long story short, I'm kind of used to having an Intuos, which sat in front of my keyboard, and I'm worried about how I'll comfortable draw now if I switch to a laptop I draw on instead. Has anyone else had this issue?
I just carry a tiny portable BT keyboard and disregard the folded one. And yes both Yoga 730 and C930 are AES 2.0 devices.

jjreamPop

Oct 25, 2017
I just carry a tiny portable BT keyboard and disregard the folded one. And yes both Yoga 730 and C930 are AES 2.0 devices.

Hmmm if I buy the yoga, I may have to pick up a keyboard as well then. Thanks!

Also, I swear, if I buy this thing now and Lenovo releases the AMOLED version (with better specs) in the US I will scream.