• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
https%3A%2F%2Fhypebeast.com%2Fimage%2F2018%2F07%2Fdigimon-survive-first-look-bandai-namco-website.jpg

med_d3d471dd-03a0-43de-86e4-79125c795a86_Digimon_Survive_Battle1_re_1532702261.jpg

Originally announced in July 2018 as a 2019 PS4/Switch release (with Xbox One and Steam added when the Western version was confirmed), Digimon Survive has unironically been among my most anticipated titles (alongside the likes of Elden Ring and Tales of Arise (ALL AWOL BAMCO GAMES)) for three key reasons:
  1. It's an SRPG from a studio made up of former Flight-Plan and Media.Vision devs; both outfits with exemplary track records in the genre.
  2. The vibe is vaguely Digimon Tamers-y (the Digimon iteration from the writer of Serial Experiments Lain).
  3. The artist they've tapped to do the character designs and illustrations is bonkers good - I mean, look at this shit:
tumblr_ppdegtQhMZ1w33wfoo1_1280.jpg

123a6ea77bd0232428f82140d7f1af24b2735d71.jpg

EYL6EwuU8AAwjGT

EYL5ILkU8AMvdxr

The sooner this game comes out, the sooner everyone else in the Japanese games industry books them out for the foreseeable future!

Anyway, last we heard (October), the producer said it had been moved to 2021, on account of the game system being under review / the schedule being redone from scratch (yikes). I'm paranoid they're going to dump the lovely hi-res sprites for 3D models, since there was some consternation from the Japanese fanbase when it was revealed only ~150 100 Digimon would make it into the game.

Am I the only person looking forward to this game? The only one worried about them futzing with the approach they've laid out (melancholic/mysterious tone, SRPG, sprites, etc)? When the hell do you think it comes out (does it)?

DIGIMON SURVIVE, WHY HATH YOU FORSAKEN ME!?

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
I've been looking forward to it too. Hopefully it comes out sometime relatively soon.

NMFried

Oct 25, 2017
TX
I'm incredibly pumped for this game. Last Digimon game I sunk time into was Cyber Sleuth. Had a hard time getting into Hacker's Memory (a lot of the same!) and Next Order, which felt incredibly unforgiving.

Ready for this!

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
It was 100 Digimon actually, not 150. Also, they said the game is inspired by Adventure, which is why Agumon is so prominant and a lot of the Digimon in the game are from the original series.

I'll more than likely buy the game day one depending on the release date.

sora2k7

Oct 28, 2017
This game will be day one for me. I have been waiting since it was announced but when it was delayed I just decided to forget about it untill we get a release date.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I just want more life simulator Digimon games. As someone who got into Digimon because they were digital pets, the games still have a lot of potential there.

Or they can make a new Tamagotchi video game that isn't mobile trash or a party game.

kikuchiyo

Nov 9, 2017
Been looking forward to this. Every six months or so I Google the title and see how far back it's been pushed back since the last time I checked :(

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I just want more life simulator Digimon games. As someone who got into Digimon because they were digital pets, the games still have a lot of potential there.

Or they can make a new Tamagotchi video game that isn't mobile trash or a party game.
A new Story game has been in development since at least 2018. If by life simulator you mean a new World game, who knows. Those are basically the Tamogatchi equivalent outside of the V-Pet stuff.

drtomoe123

Nov 1, 2017
the Bay Area
I really love Digimon and even though I've never been a huge fan of the Story games, I think Cyber Sleuth/Hackers Memory really reworked a lot of stuff I didn't like about the DS games while giving us an absolutely insane roster of playable Digimon which is something I appreciated while finally finishing HM recently.

So with all that in mind, I've been really excited about Survive because the last few games have really delivered for me. I LOVE the spritework and I think narrowing down on the amount of available Digimon is totally fine, especially if its in service to the story. I have been a little concerned about the delays but I figure we'll play it when it's ready...if it did get cancelled, I would be pretty bummed though...

Aran

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Really excited for this one and whatever the cyber sleuth guys are working on. I hope the melancholy tone is still there next time we see survive.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I would probably play it when it came out, but it's isn't something I'm going to be frustrated over if it's cancelled. I don't love the fact that it's a SRPG, I'd rather have another entry in the Digimon World series.

Oct 27, 2017
I've been following up this game since it was announced. The music from the trailer was also really good. 2021 is looking packed with great games.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Waiting for this one too still. Hopefully it's as good from what the dev team is like.

Hoping we hear news on the new Story game as well.

Kierric

Teyvat Traveler
May 3, 2020
I'm still so hype for this game. Digimon will always hold a special place in my heart and I love SRPGs. They kept holding on for so long saying this'd come out in 2020 before the delay was confirmed, so I hope we won't have to wait too long into 2021.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
I really can't wait for this game, and i do hope they keep the design they have...even eith the smaller digimon amount.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
I really need to play the Cyber Sleuth games, hopefully they go on sale for the Steam Winter event. Seems I have plenty of time to go through both before this comes out.

Wander

Oct 25, 2017
If you're looking for something Digimon related, strategic, and turn based - the Digimon card game can tide you over :p

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It doesn't look like anything I would ever want out of a Digimon game outside of the art style so...No thank you. I really don't think it's going to be any good.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't too hot about this when it was released, I just want more World games but with how Next Order was recieved, I guess it's dead.
Now I need more SRPG in my life, excited for Disgaea 6 and of course, I'm getting slowly but surely interested in Survive.

PK_Wonder

One Winged Slayer
Mar 22, 2018
If it's got Digimon in the name, I'm heavily interested, if not already sold. Hopefully we get more Digis as time goes on, 100 is nothing.