• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Good decision it looked like it was lacking something.
They might re-tool it to be ready for PS5 as well in 2021.

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
So many people are looking forward to the new Digimon Story game and it's not even announced, me included. I wonder if they are aware of that.

As for Digimon Survive, the part about them retooling development process is not outright stated in Famitsu, it seems to be speculation on the person sharing the news on the japanese board. We need to wait on that. For anyone wondering, they had planned 3 story routes for the game and had to cut the 3rd route for the 2018 version of the game, people are speculating that thanks to the continuous delays they might have decided to implement that one. The game was indeed delayed last year in order to reorganize the development structure for the team.

We had a main cast character reveal last month so I doubt they are rebooting the game as a Digimon Adventure game like many are speculating or changing the vision.

Feb 24, 2018
There was some griping from the Japanese fanbase when it was revealed that it was an SRPG and had a bit over 100 Digimon (which was a limit of the very pretty sprite graphics they were using, and y'know, being an SRPG...). That's why I'm worried they're completely retooling it as some other thing.

digimon-survive-screenshot-02-ps4-us-15july2019
A bit over a 100 does seem small for a Digimon game (didn't original Cyber Sleuth have more than 200?) but I guess it depends on how they did it and the plot they were telling with it.

Also trying to figure out who the two Digimon are in the back behind Palmon and Nunemon, is that Coelamon?

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if that Digimon Story PS4 game they've been working on for absolutely years is still going on.

Bummed about this too, the game looked good and I was into the idea of a Digimon game with gameplay like Gundam SD.

It'd be foolish if it isn't given that the original Cyber Sleuth is the entire reason for the resurgence in interest in Digimon in the west. NAMCO has spoken a number of times about being shocked at how well it did.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
It should be. Media.Vision has grown to about 200 devs, but hasn't put anything out since Valkyria Chronicles 4 in 2018 - not even as a support developer (actually, they probably did help out on Sakura Wars a bit, but I didn't pay attention to the credits).

Survive was being developed by former FlightPlan devs (a company that made a ton of great SRPGs), so this just absolutely stings for me.
Well that's reassuring at least.

Yeah, this is one of those games I was really looking forward to but no obsessed with coming out so I hope that they take the time, keep true to what we know and just improve it before releasing it.

It'd be foolish if it isn't give that the original Cyber Sleuth is the entire reason for the resurgence in interest in Digimon in the west. NAMCO has spken a number of times about being shocked at how well it did.
Yeah, that's true. I was a bit surprised as well, felt like one of those times I would just look at Japan getting something cool that never got ported, really glad it worked out for them to the extent where they could immediately begin work on a new game. Just excited to see what they do.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's true. I was a bit surprised as well, felt like one of those times I would just look at Japan getting something cool that never got ported, really glad it worked out for them to the extent where they could immediately begin work on a new game. Just excited to see what they do.

It was an interesting case because it's obviously not uncommon for gamers to demand certain game to be released. But it seems often times when it does the release just comes and goes without the same amount of interest that the campaign that led to it had. But with Cyber Sleuth those fans really stuck the landing by supporting the game to the point that now NAMCO is all in on bringing future games to the west as well.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Man I was really looking forward to this one. Loved the art style from the onset

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The source post doesn't say it's been delayed to TBA because they're overhauling the development system NOW, it says that when the game was delayed IN THE PAST (from 2019 to 2020), the reason for that delay was to rebuild the development system, which led to Bandai Namco not sharing new information for some time, but that recently the company has been gradually sharing new character details.

Anyway there is likely no reason for the new date actually mentioned in the magazine as am I guessing the TBA comes from either Famitsu's release calendar or the info section of a preview (likely of the latest information that Jump had the advance on). Part of me thinks it may be an error, which is why I'm waiting on an official announcement before reporting.

Oct 29, 2017
It was an interesting case because it's obviously not uncommon for gamers to demand certain game to be released. But it seems often times when it does the release just comes and goes without the same amount of interest that the campaign that led to it had. But with Cyber Sleuth those fans really stuck the landing by supporting the game to the point that now NAMCO is all in on bringing future games to the west as well.
Wasn't there already a massive, massive petition to get one of the games localised that impacted in their decision to localise this? I'm pretty sure it was a different game but I vividly remember it.

Edit.

Found it: https://www.change.org/p/bandai-nam...for-3ds-digimon-story-cyber-sleuth-for-psvita

Tolby

Sep 24, 2019
Eastern Europe
The source post doesn't say it's been delayed to TBA because they're overhauling the development system NOW, it says that when the game was delayed IN THE PAST (from 2019 to 2020), the reason for that delay was to rebuild the development system, which led to Bandai Namco not sharing new information for some time, but that recently the company has been gradually sharing new character details.

Anyway there is likely no reason for the new date actually mentioned in the magazine as am I guessing the TBA comes from either Famitsu's release calendar or the info section of a preview (likely of the latest information that Jump had the advance on). Part of me thinks it may be an error, which is why I'm waiting on an official announcement before reporting.
Thanks for clarifying. I guess it's better to wait for a confirmation.

Nagito

Oct 25, 2017
The windy city

Thanks for making stuff more clear

lightning16

May 17, 2019
I was pretty interested in this despite not having too much attachment to the franchise. Hopefully everything works out alright for the game.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Ive been looking forward to this since it was announced. I really hope things work out for it.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
the japanese source says development is halted and they are doing major revisions... yeah this ain't a 2021 game. Sounds like it's going to be remade from the ground up. Probably switching engines too

Also, wasn't this announced at an Xbox event? Japanese source doesn't even mention Xbox version lol

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017

Feels like whenever people report on something from Ryokutya, there's a mistranslation of what's actual news and what's their own opinions/speculation.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Feels like whenever people report on something from Ryokutya, there's a mistranslation of what's actual news and what's their own opinions/speculation.

They throw in a lot of that, but in this case, the part I mentioned wasn't opinion or speculation, they were simply stating what happened in the past.

Anyway, I did some journalisms:

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
Not Surprising. My Buddy and I were getting frustrated because everytime an article about the game came up, it was about the characters/story instead of anything worthwhile about the game itself. I was already sold on getting it, so hearing about the characters out of context doesn't do anything for me.

Oct 27, 2017
There was some griping from the Japanese fanbase when it was revealed that it was an SRPG and had a bit over 100 Digimon (which was a limit of the very pretty sprite graphics they were using, and y'know, being an SRPG...). That's why I'm worried they're completely retooling it as some other thing.

digimon-survive-screenshot-02-ps4-us-15july2019
You mean in terms of how long it takes to make the sprites? Because I can't see any technical limitation that would only allow that few number of digimon

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they increase the roster. If anything worries me about this game, it's the number of Digimon.

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck, I'm confident that this will never be released. They clearly had no idea what to do with it to begin with :(

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
Has there been any new news for this game? With the decentralized nature of gaming announcements this year, it harder to keep up with the niche franchises news

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly completely forgot about this game. Still nothing?

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
:(

This and Dragon Quest Monsters both going through development hell is such a bummer.

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018
Please, this game looks amazing. I don't mind more delays, but I hope these delays doesn't imply problems or a mediocre final product.