• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm, might not be 100% sure Bakemon's dead. We'll see when I get farther into the game.

That said I forgot how much I loved this game

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I played almost an hour. Switch performance is really good, no idea if it's 60 fps but it's very smooth. Cyber Sleuth really feel like an approach for Digimon to Atlus PS2 games... which honestly it's fine. It's a shame (so far) you can't move your camera.
The inability to move camera has been bugging me lol.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
There's at least the ability to zoom the camera in or out with the right stick when you're in dungeons. Makes it a bit easier to see your surroundings.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Picked this up on Steam mostly out of nostalgia. It's fun, if rather janky, and the translation is weirdly inconsistent - there's clearly areas where it was given a much more stringent editing pass than others, and those that didn't get it are prone to odd/unnatural phrasing, some grammar errors, and other weird inconsistencies (Goblimon's medal is called Goburimon Medal, for instance).

Nothing major, but it does feel a bit slapdash.

Haven't really formulated a team yet, just going with whatever. Would you guys recommend running more lower rank Digimon or fewer higher ranks? Currently running 6 Champions and an Ultimate. Don't have the memory for more yet.

OP
OP
PaperSparrow

PaperSparrow

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Picked this up on Steam mostly out of nostalgia. It's fun, if rather janky, and the translation is weirdly inconsistent - there's clearly areas where it was given a much more stringent editing pass than others, and those that didn't get it are prone to odd/unnatural phrasing, some grammar errors, and other weird inconsistencies (Goblimon's medal is called Goburimon Medal, for instance).

Nothing major, but it does feel a bit slapdash.

Haven't really formulated a team yet, just going with whatever. Would you guys recommend running more lower rank Digimon or fewer higher ranks? Currently running 6 Champions and an Ultimate. Don't have the memory for more yet.
The localization was definitely cheaply done. The text messages and the "Bakemon" misunderstanding in the original release made it seem like they were translating text without context. Not to mention dialogue options that would bleed into each other. My guess is that Bamco didn't expect it to take off well beyond the petition signers and put as little as they could get away with into it.

I usually go with as many high level mons as 3 slots will let me and train the ones in waiting at the DigiFarm. Unless I am grinding out digivolutions, then I'll take out as many lower levels as possible.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Quoting for the new page:

How do you get the Human Spirits in Cyber Sleuth? I tried searching online but everything I found was for Hacker's Memory (presumably since they weren't in the original release of CS). I really want to get Lobomon.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if it's possible to get the Spirits you need in the first game. I looked through some online Japanese guides, since they've had this edition for a while now, but they only mention how to get them in Hacker's Memory as well.
When I go to the Digivolution screen for Kudamon, one of the requirements for Lobomon says to have the Human Spirit of Light in my inventory. It has to be obtainable somehow. Unless you can only get the spirit by transferring from Hacker's Memory somehow?

Last edited:
OP
OP
PaperSparrow

PaperSparrow

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
When I go to the Digivolution screen for Kudamon, one of the requirements for Lobomon says to have the Human Spirit of Light in my inventory. It has to be obtainable somehow. Unless you can only get the spirit by transferring from Hacker's Memory somehow?
It's possible it could be obtainable and most guides overlooked it because HM was the focus at the time. It seems weird they would show it as a digivolution option otherwise. I know when you complete the games, you can transfer Digimon between them. Don't know if that also would give you the item.

Oct 26, 2017
Question. Hacker's Memory got the much better localization right? Is it also the better game and once you transfer everything to it, it can stay as your choice game without needing to play CS1 again? Or something? I assume HM has much more content than the original.

I wish they doubled down and gave CS1 a proper clean up. They tried clearly, but for god knows what reason still half-assed it. Was no-one willing to pay whoever they got more than a week's worth of pay to finish the job? Frankly there's got to be dozens if not hundreds who would've done it for free had they offered I would think. Better to have volunteer work than leave a game still with glaring localization issues.

OP
OP
PaperSparrow

PaperSparrow

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Question. Hacker's Memory got the much better localization right? Is it also the better game and once you transfer everything to it, it can stay as your choice game without needing to play CS1 again? Or something? I assume HM has much more content than the original.

I wish they doubled down and gave CS1 a proper clean up. They tried clearly, but for god knows what reason still half-assed it. Was no-one willing to pay whoever they got more than a week's worth of pay to finish the job? Frankly there's got to be dozens if not hundreds who would've done it for free had they offered I would think. Better to have volunteer work than leave a game still with glaring localization issues.
Yeah, it has the better localization and is more refined in general. There are also nice additions like Domination battles. From my understanding, you can transfer all your mons once you complete the original and never look back (unless you want to replay the story).

I imagine the poor soul who had to localize this was sat in a room for a week to translate with nothing but the text for the game. Even if they were sending it out to die, that's no excuse for how shoddy the original was.

Annabel

Mar 22, 2019
Next 0rder also had a very shoddy localization and that game came after Cyber Sleuth.

Happy to hear Hacker's Memory is more tight though.

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Very, very glad to see these games getting positive word of mouth again. They need all the love they can get.

I was considering positing this as its own thread buuut then I remembered that any thread that has even the slightest whiff that there might be problems with modern Pokemon games or that other Mon games might be doing some things better than it inevitably turn into a flaming shitshow. I decided to bow out of Sword and Shield discussions a few months ago for the sake of my sanity so I ain't going to bother making a thread on this article since I know exactly how it will go.

I will admit though that I partly got this game to take the sting out of losing Pokemon as one of my most favorite game series. Cutting Pokemon was the one big line they never crossed when it came to features getting cut, and as someone who has a lot of sentimental Pokemon that I've been moving up to new games since middle school, they lost me completely with that move. And no, having a paid subscription service to keep all my old Pokemon rotting away in with potentially years going by with no games compatible for some of the species to be moved into is not a good substitute.

It really says something when the current director of the Digimon Story games is always talking about how they're working to get as many Digimon packed into their games as possible on the limited budget they have, and that, if at all possible, they'd like to get nearly every Digimon put into a single game at some point, compared to Pokemon where, despite the millions they make on each game, they somehow can't afford to put all of their Pokemon into a single game anymore, even when the model of those Pokemon already exist and were supposedly future proofed.

Of course , I also bought this game to support the continued localization of these games because it feels like all it would take is for one game to bomb again for them to decide they're going to wait 'another' ten years to consider localizing Digimon games again. It still sucks to know that we missed out on a bunch of awesome Digimon games on the PSP, DS, and even the 3DS. I'll gladly take the half-assed localization these games get than none at all.

Well, I also bought this because of course I genuinely enjoy the Cyber Sleuth games, and when it comes to the first game, playing it for the first time completely blind was so much fun. I intentionally avoided all info on the game when it first came out because I was fully expecting it to never get localized and didn't want to hype myself up for a game that I'd likely never play. Because of that I went into it almost completely blind when it did end up being localized and for someone who grew up mostly on the PSone Digimon games along with the DS ones, the upgrade in graphics was pretty mind blowing, even if they're still not amazing by today's standards. While these two games do have a lot of flaws, they really are a love letter for those who've been with the series since the beginning. I can't wait for the next Story game and replaying this is only making that wait even harder. LOL

I am forever grateful that one of my favorite childhood series has managed to make quite a bit of a comeback. I was the kid on the playground that was always arguing that Digimon was just as good as Pokemon during the Mon wars of old, and I stick to that claim even to this day. LOL

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really enjoying the first game so far, I'm about six hours in. Aside from the questionable-at-times localization (most of it is fine, but some of those text message conversations make no sense, lol), it's a really fun game I think. Definitely a good alternative to Pokémon (though it's very different in a lot of aspects, of course), and something that holds up in its own right. I hope the re-release does sell well, because the more of these games we get over here, the better.

I kind of got something major spoiled for me (thanks, /r/Digimon...), but I'm still interested to see where the story goes.

JayDee

Oct 28, 2017
This isn't directly related to the complete edition but what are my options if I want to play the original Cyber Sleuth on PS4? Seems like the physical copies are a little pricier now that its out of print.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't directly related to the complete edition but what are my options if I want to play the original Cyber Sleuth on PS4? Seems like the physical copies are a little pricier now that its out of print.
That's pretty much your only option. The PS4 and Vita versions of the game were delisted from the PlayStation Store some time ago.

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There was a glitch that made it impossible to continue the game after a certain point that was only present if you were playing the game on a PS4 slim. The only way to fix it was to have a Vita and a Vita copy of the game. You had to transfer your save to the Vita and get past the broken part then transfer it back to continue. But to make matters ever worse, if you had the pre-order DLC for one version of the game and not the other, you couldn't even transfer save files between them. I'm almost certain this problem was never patched so maybe they removed the digital version because technically it would be considered a broken product if there's unpatched, game-ending bug.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
What's the consensus on the DLC Digimon they gave me? Should I use them or bench them because too powerful?

Nov 14, 2017
What's the consensus on the DLC Digimon they gave me? Should I use them or bench them because too powerful?
I've heard they're powerful early game but not worth keeping around for long.

I haven't even bothered picking them up yet, but I would assume they at least would be useful as farm captains. I should probably get around to doing that, actually.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Been sidetracked by Witcher but played the first 2 hours and love the vibe. I had played Hackers Memory on ps4 but playing the original first this time.

I love the music and direction of the art so far. Even if some outfits are a bit questionable haha. Didnt expect the Tokyo bits. Thought it'd all be on the net like the old .hack games.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I'm tempted to buy on switch but on the flip side if it's already available for $41 on switch on amazon I may be able to get it for $30 on Black Friday... thoughts?

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
For me this game came outta nowhere and apparently it's really good? I don't know squat about Digimon but reading reviews they are saying even JRPG fans in general should check it out.

There's just too much stuff to play man...

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
is this worth getting? like does it have interesting story, character, and gameplay - or is it for kids? Now, i understand pokemon is technically a 'kids' series, but it has enough charm and appeal that adults can enjoy it just as much. does it have that? also, i do not know anything about digimon, so is it still applicable to me? also is japanese dub with english subs available in english release for switch?

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
is this worth getting? like does it have interesting story, character, and gameplay - or is it for kids? Now, i understand pokemon is technically a 'kids' series, but it has enough charm and appeal that adults can enjoy it just as much. does it have that? also, i do not know anything about digimon, so is it still applicable to me? also is japanese dub with english subs available in english release for switch?
The story is disconnected from any of the other games or the various anime series, as far as I'm aware. The only connection is the different Digimon species and some of the terms, kind of like how Final Fantasy works. As for it being a "kids game," I don't really see it that way. If Pokémon is for kids, then Cyber Sleuth is for teens; it gives off a tone and vibe closer to something like Persona than Pokémon. You explore Tokyo (in bite-size chunks, given that these were Vita games), as well as dungeons that are in the digital world.

I'm a lapsed fan of Digimon, having been into it a lot as a kid, and I'm glad I picked up the collection. It isn't even really because of nostalgia, though that does help I guess. Cyber Sleuth just feels like Digimon grew up with me to an extent in terms of its aesthetic and the way it doesn't entirely handhold, which isn't anything I can say about any of the recent Pokémon games. Not that it's super difficult either, but it does feel easier to get interested in for me since it assumes you aren't an eight-year-old.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, there is no English dub, for either game. The only voices are in Japanese.

Last edited:

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Despite the dicey translation errors, the first game is a lot of fun, and has some pretty great lines.

EGDEbosWkAExTFV

Also, Ami is adorable, and has some priceless expressions.

D86-GTMWwAUzL_t

(The unintentional yuri-isms almost make it worth the errors.)

Also also, Nakano is very accurate.

This is a real arcade on the 4th floor:
D6500BaXYAU0MRL

P1020150%E7%B7%A8%E9%9B%861.jpg

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is currently the fifteenth best seller on the Eshop right now. It seems to be doing really well on the Switch, digitally at least.

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It looks like a patch was released today for the Switch to fix the performance problems in the Kowloon areas. I'm not seeing that anything else was changed.

In other news, the game is now the 8th best selling Eshop title. It's only being beaten out by games like The Witcher 3 and Luigi's Mansion 3.

I've got to admit, I missed out playing these on the Vita, and getting to play it in a portable format on the Switch is now making me change my mind about the next Story game. Originally I wanted them to go all in on the graphics and make it feel like a PS4 game, but now I'm kinda okay with it taking a hit in the graphics department just so long as it can exist in a portable format. It's got me wishing that they'd port Next Order too, but since it was pretty heavily reworked when they moved it onto the PS4, I'm not sure they'd be able to put it on the Switch with all the graphical changes they made, and apparently the original version wasn't very good either so I doubt they'd port the original.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking to pick this up soon - just waiting to see if there's a Black Friday deal anywhere, or maybe getting it on Amazon. I played the first one, but not Hacker's Memory. Should I replay the first to get some new game carry over bonuses, or is it generally not worth it? I really enjoyed the first one, so I'm kind of considering it anyways. Just wanted to see what others thought.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I would have bought this if they released cross save with the ps versions, I alrrady have 100+ on the first game and I dont want to lose them

Nov 14, 2017
I'm looking to pick this up soon - just waiting to see if there's a Black Friday deal anywhere, or maybe getting it on Amazon. I played the first one, but not Hacker's Memory. Should I replay the first to get some new game carry over bonuses, or is it generally not worth it? I really enjoyed the first one, so I'm kind of considering it anyways. Just wanted to see what others thought.
from what I've read, one of the things you can carry over to HM from CS is your field guide progress, so playing CS first allows you to avoid the grind a second time in HM.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
from what I've read, one of the things you can carry over to HM from CS is your field guide progress, so playing CS first allows you to avoid the grind a second time in HM.
Hmmm. I already did that grind on the PS4 version, so I'm just unsure if I want to do that again. It was fun, but it took me some time.

Oct 29, 2017
So I see that with the complete edition you can use all of Hackers Memory's digimon in Cyber Sleuth but surely it's impossible to get the armour Digivolutions and Susanomon?

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Despite the dicey translation errors, the first game is a lot of fun, and has some pretty great lines.

EGDEbosWkAExTFV

Also, Ami is adorable, and has some priceless expressions.

D86-GTMWwAUzL_t

(The unintentional yuri-isms almost make it worth the errors.)

Also also, Nakano is very accurate.

This is a real arcade on the 4th floor:
D6500BaXYAU0MRL

P1020150%E7%B7%A8%E9%9B%861.jpg

Any idea if the localization has been touched up for the Switch ports? I'm guessing not, but I'd like to be surprised. Half tempted to get the bundle for xmas.

Nov 14, 2017
Any idea if the localization has been touched up for the Switch ports? I'm guessing not, but I'd like to be surprised. Half tempted to get the bundle for xmas.
I never played the PS4 version, but I'm playing on PC and it still has the infamous "Bakemon" translation goof and there's a lot of broken english in some of the side dialogue.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
Water>Fire>Grass. Dark>Light , Light>Dark. Neutral is neutral. Don't recall how the electricity, ground, and wind work. But it's all in the tutorial section of the menu wheel.