• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Mekanos

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Absolutely loving the opening. Hoping Crunchyroll gets the stream up tonight, would like to watch this after I finish binging Squid Game. Even if that's at like 1 in the morning lol

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I dunno if it's the adventure burnout but the feel of that opening was a breath of fresh air.

Love the spooky vibe.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly Digimon and the horror genre goes well together I've always been pretty terrified of how hot some of the Digimon can get.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely loving the opening. Hoping Crunchyroll gets the stream up tonight, would like to watch this after I finish binging Squid Game. Even if that's at like 1 in the morning lol

Are you me? Started watching it with friends last night, and they're coming back to watch it soon. I sure want to finish Squid Game, but at the same time it's like "ahhhh same night at the Ghost Game premiere :p"

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Im not going to call that the horror genre. Looks more like Yokai Watch.
I've seen the episode, the vibe is definitely more scooby doo than yokai watch. YW is essentially about ghosts and spirits but it never played into the spooky stuff from what I watched in the way this does

Horror is a strong word for it, it's just spoopy

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wanna see a bunch of new horror Digimon, they've been going back to the edgy 90s style lately for the new virtual pets so that'd be sweet

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wanna see a bunch of new horror Digimon, they've been going back to the edgy 90s style lately for the new virtual pets so that'd be sweet

PaperSparrow

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That was some breakneck pacing. They really wanted to establish everything they could in the first episode.

I like Hiro's character so far (his relationship with his father is pretty amusing, it kind of reminds me of Appmon) and Gammamon is very cute, as expected.

"Horror" may be a strong word for it, but this is probably the closest you can get in a Sunday morning kid's show, lol.

The opening is nice, the section with the Digimon title cards especially.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Gonna have to give this a try

It's been quite a while since I've consumed any Digimon media. After hearing people dunk on the Adventure reboot so much, I'm very interested in watching something that actually seems like it'll be good

PaperSparrow

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
He's definitely more of the clever type of Digi protag rather than hot-headed. Has more self-confidence than Haru though.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
That first episode was great. They did a good job of introducing the characters and setting up the world. Clockmon was terrifying for probably the first time ever (and may be a recurring foe?), and Hiro and Gammamon's dynamic seems like it'll be fun.

I think this show reminds me of Cyber Sleuth more than anything else, and I liked CS so that's just peachy.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watchi? Ima nanji? Ichi daiji!
Whis~!

I've seen the episode, the vibe is definitely more scooby doo than yokai watch. YW is essentially about ghosts and spirits but it never played into the spooky stuff from what I watched in the way this does

Horror is a strong word for it, it's just spoopy
It feels like the Shadowside Youkai Watch spin-off
yo_kai_watch_shadowside_03.jpg

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly had no idea this existed lmao, is it any good?
Not really, there were some interesting ideas but as it was set decades later in the same timeline as the first series (Main characters being kids of Keita, the original protagonist) it was held back by previous characterization of returning Youkai, and the radical change in tone... (More spooky and not full-comedy)
Maybe if it was a whole new set of characters there could had been more freedom to explore the Youkai Detective Agency, new threats, and the Youkai having light and dark sides, as it was it became too formulaic for not presenting interesting character development or doing worldbuilding in any meaningful way.

Also, the game that the anime was supposed to promote, ultimately releasing on Switch, was heavily retooled by including Keita again as main character. Maybe they realized the new characters and setting didn't have greater appeal to an aging audience simply by a slightly darker tone...

OP
OP
Mekanos

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Damn, that was a really good first episode. I love the mixing of sci-fi and horror elements here so far and Gammamon is ridiculously adorable. Cautiously optimistic here but all the elements are present for a great show. Here's hoping.

God, between this, Tropical Rouge and Revice my Sundays will be busy for the foreseeable future 💀

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Ep 01

(Finally done with Squid Game! *whew* Time to watch the ep and click this topic now :p)

Breathe of fresh air! The art quality is great, might need to get used to the human's eyes, quite 90s-style. I love how they are reallllly promoting the new Digivice+DIM cards with this, knowing that the product has been sold for a while now (and constantly selling out and getting reprinted, it's doing well!) Who was that Tailmon? Love the desigb. Gammamon is adorable, already love the design and he's a biter! Just like Masaru in Savers was Agumon's aniiki, Gammamon is Hiro's little bro. That's just adorable!

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't watched Digimon since I was little back when the OG series was running. I guess I could give this one a shot for the hell of it.

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Episode 1 was great, there were some really incredible moments in there, and Gammamon is so CUTE!
Hopefully the quality of the show stays around this level.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
qfnwxbc8dyg71.jpg

This is fresh. I like it. Hope it can keep going strong. 2020 scarred me a tad in that respect. Whoever hated on the art needs to see it in action. Super fluid. I didn't expect Clockmon to be so vicious.

I need a plush of that mail carrier cat Digimon.

GetDigitized

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good first ep, I liked that they introduced a lot of plotlines all at once rather than conjuring them out of nowhere like 2020 did, should help with character development as well.
The vital bracelet acting as more than just a digivolution tool/ a gate + father plotline is cool.
Not convinced of the animation quality since there were some bad scenes, especially of the humans. Digimon looked great though.
That bandaged guy is going to be annoying/tropey i can feel it.

I like Gammamons speech patterns more than Agumons, while they're both childish, Gammamon is actually a child vs. Agumon just using broken speech/shortened sentences.
The fight wasn't amazing but wasn't bad either.
One thing that peeved me is the fact that their phones have notches while being in the future with holograms. Current phones have started to get rid of notches, they're literally a holdover until under display cameras become good enough to do away with them.

EDIT: They couldn't help themselves with one last hurrah to Taichi & Agumon

cozy_october2_2021.jpg

Last edited:

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I wonder if what clockmon saw in gammamon was an inevitable future or something inside of him. Also I assume black gatomon is the father's partner digimon. The plot line with the father is definitely the most interesting bit imo especially with what he's doing now and how he came across gammamon and the other two partner digimon.

Also the dorm leader is hilarious, a fun play on the edgy rival character though I wouldn't bat an eye if someone telling that role appeared later down the line

I do wonder if there's something going on with the mom considering if my kids father up and vanished I'd prolly at least try to care more than that, Hiro also seemed unfazed by the reaction

Last edited:

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hiro seems like he'll be a good protag and Gammamon is just as adorable personality wise as he looks.

I'm rather curious to see what Kiyoshiro's dynamic with Jellymon is going to be. I wonder if she's the reason his hand is all bandaged up.

Clockmon is a Digimon I've never relly liked (or even given much thought to outside of one being the in game clock in Digimon World), but I really love his portrayal in this episode and I'm glad that it seems we'll be seeing more of him in the future. Also I think I would have been actually scared of him had I seen this as a kid.

Overall I think this was a damn solid premiere and I'm really looking forward to next week's episode.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I do kind of wish the bracelets were more personalized. Of course whenever they digivolve this could totally change but I'm cautious for now

croc

Oct 27, 2017
Indianapolis
Very impressed with that first episode. The world seems pretty interesting and I'm far more interested in this season than any of the last like...4?

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Buff Clockmon was surprising, so there will be more like that right? Haha.
I liked the first episode, can't wait to see more.
And I hope BN will eventually release those Vital Bracelet in Europe.

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So far, pretty cool. The older/little brother dynamic might be interesting, the character designs are slick, Hiro is cool as a protagonist.

Just hope it doesn't become too monster of the week stuff, but has a longer storyline running.

Edit, also 😂

Last edited:

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Buff Clockmon was surprising, so there will be more like that right? Haha.
I liked the first episode, can't wait to see more.
And I hope BN will eventually release those Vital Bracelet in Europe.
VB seem to be getting a full on global release now, latest app trailer was advertising global raids.

gryvan

Brooklyn Rage
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely an amazing first episode and i feel a breath of fresh air in the theme of it all