• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Stuart444

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
no, he said a plot decision they made didn't fit with one he made in 02.

Kakudou has a history of being notoriously difficult and not communicating with people about stuff he considered important.

Without knowing what is coming, he may be right that it wouldn't fit with 02 but some of the things in Tri didn't either so eh.

Of course some of the things in 02 were also a bit eh.

So eh all around.

Either way, I'll probably enjoy it even if I have issues with whatever happens in this next Adventure series.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
I think the 02 kids being able to travel to and from the Digital World is a big detriment to the show overall. Unlike the Adventure kids, who had to fight to survive even when not battling wild Digimon, the 02 kids simply hop into the Digital World for a couple of hours to take down a Dark Tower and head home to their families and warm beds. It really undercuts any tension that the show tries to build because they can simply retreat to the real world if needed, where danger can't follow.

If the show had established that they could enter the Digital World whenever they wanted, but would not be able to leave until the Dark Tower of the area was destroyed, it would have really helped the show feel like it had actual stakes and risks.
I never really thought of this, but it makes a lot of sense.

OP
OP
Stuart444

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
While that point of 02 is debatable, there was that one episode where Hikari got trapped in the Digital World. It's noticeable for being the first ep with Angemon of 02 iirc. (It was also the return of Andromon)

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I saw that there were rankings earlier:

Tamers >>>>>> Savers > Adventure > 02.

I really like Savers, but honestly I think Tamers is just in a whole other ball park from the other series. For me it's the height of the entire franchise. Granted I never saw all of Frontier and the later stuff... Didn't look good...

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
I saw that there were rankings earlier:

Tamers >>>>>> Savers > Adventure > 02.

I really like Savers, but honestly I think Tamers is just in a whole other ball park from the other series. For me it's the height of the entire franchise. Granted I never saw all of Frontier and the later stuff... Didn't look good...

Once you get over the kids turning into Digimon the first 2/3rd's of Frontier are pretty good. The last arc is atrocious though.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
emperor_greymon_by_some_zod-d6d1wo7.png

Emperor Greymon is also a really cool addition to the greymon line, even if his powerlevels are really wonky.

Edit: spoilered the image in case anyone wants to go in blind

RalchAC

Oct 27, 2017
I think the 02 kids being able to travel to and from the Digital World is a big detriment to the show overall. Unlike the Adventure kids, who had to fight to survive even when not battling wild Digimon, the 02 kids simply hop into the Digital World for a couple of hours to take down a Dark Tower and head home to their families and warm beds. It really undercuts any tension that the show tries to build because they can simply retreat to the real world if needed, where danger can't follow.

If the show had established that they could enter the Digital World whenever they wanted, but would not be able to leave until the Dark Tower of the area was destroyed, it would have really helped the show feel like it had actual stakes and risks.

Didn't it work this way? Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, it's been a couple of years since I rewatched it. I remember this difference between the OG and 02 kids is briefly touched in the series.

Arukenimon has just become they new baddie, she is still behind the shadows and created the a Digimon using Dark Towers. There is quite a big argument between some of the original Children and the new ones, that shows precisely how big is the gap between them. The original were telling them they couldn't go on forever without killing a single Digimon but the narrative dropped this in the very same chapter once it's discovered that it isn't an actual Digimon and it's never picked up again.

I felt it was a shame that this conflict wasn't expanded, like most stuff that could have been interesting in the show.

Y'know I never much cared for the moment where Tai gives his googles to Davis in 02, felt really unearned.

The Digimentals stuff felt really unearned too. Emblems were a really big deal in the original show and the original series ends with them being destroyed and Genai saying that "they've grown to a point where they won't need them anymore". Which is retconned in 02, only for the Digimentals to be used for a side power up that is nearly forgotten once the Digimon Emperor arc ends. The original children struggle to activate them for a dozen of episodes and need real character growth before their partners reach their Ultimate form (and could fail to to do so after unlocking the evolution if they stayed away from the correct path), while the new Children get their power ups in the very same episode where they get the Digimentals after a much less fullfilling realization.

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
So, I stopped watching Tri after the third "episode" I think. Anyone have a summary link/synopsis?
There is new Chosen Child/ Digidestined whose partner is corrupted, which causes shenanigans for 6 movies. Eventually they have to kill it because it's too corrupted. Ship teasing, Mega evolutions, corrupted fusion, evil Gennai, 02 kids are hidden away from them, Alphamon, Jesmon, King Drasil, one of the OG 5 CC lost her partner and went psycho, the other one died, Leomon dies again too, Wizardmon was there for 10 seconds, Devimon for 2 minutes, Machinedramon & MetalSeadramon also were there, Adventure partners lost their memories but they got better & new Omegamon form kind of happen during this time.

02 does have flaws, but it does have some good & interesting parts in it. Tri as a whole felt much bigger disappointment and is much more boring.

It is delicious that there is now an Adventure series that people hate even more. 02 is now less often mentioned as the worst one.

Tri's biggest problem is probably that it is boring.

OP
OP
Stuart444

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
Tri has it's problems but I personally don't think it is boring.

Inconsistent, nonsensical at times, yes. Boring, nope.

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
I don't even fully know what Tri really is. It is boring a lot, but I have no strong emotions to it anymore. I'm not even disappointed that much anymore. It came and it went. It's bland? It's boring? I don't care about it anymore. Although that's never a good thing.

What's everyone else's beef with Tri? I simply don't care about it anymore.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't even fully know what Tri really is. It is boring a lot, but I have no strong emotions to it anymore. I'm not even disappointed that much anymore. It came and it went. It's bland? It's boring? I don't care about it anymore. Although that's never a good thing.

What's everyone else's beef with Tri? I simply don't care about it anymore.

Well, I think a lot of people were hoping it would retcon 02's epilogue...

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
What the hell is too bad about 02 epilogue anyways? Like astronaut Matt is dumb and probably "everyone gets a Digimon" but honestly most of the jobs CC got were fitting IMO. Or is it because certain ships didn't happen lol.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
What the hell is too bad about 02 epilogue anyways? Like astronaut Matt is dumb and probably "everyone gets a Digimon" but honestly most of the jobs CC got were fitting IMO. Or is it because certain ships didn't happen lol.

Everything with it. I find the the "everyone has kids with each other" endings distastful. Like, they ALL had kids. I also didn't like the "you get a Digimon, and you get a Digimon..." with the world tour arc, so all tje kids not only all get Digimon too (for no reason, really) but the exact same lines as their parents. The jobs don't make sense either, and were just thrown in for cheap laughs (a noodle cart will NOT put you on a magazine cover!!)

It was just thrown together to give Adventure a super happy ending, but just came out being silly :/

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
Oh yeah, the Noodle cart. Actually forgot that one.

I can ignore it as just little extra showed at end, but I suppose it could ruin series for some. Or its just another problem with 02.

wiill64

Oct 30, 2017
I don't particularly care for the ending to 02. It's just everyone lived happily ever after with each other - the end.

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
Tri honestly felt like they just threw everything they could at the wall to see if it stuck.

And they still couldn't save that dumb cat in the end.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
Everything with it. I find the the "everyone has kids with each other" endings distastful. Like, they ALL had kids. I also didn't like the "you get a Digimon, and you get a Digimon..." with the world tour arc, so all tje kids not only all get Digimon too (for no reason, really) but the exact same lines as their parents. The jobs don't make sense either, and were just thrown in for cheap laughs (a noodle cart will NOT put you on a magazine cover!!)

It was just thrown together to give Adventure a super happy ending, but just came out being silly :/
The whole everyone is a digidestined, kind of made the original kids less special.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
why the fuck does everybody rank tamers so high? tamers made 1 & 2 non canon basically

SaviourMK2

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CT
why the fuck does everybody rank tamers so high? tamers made 1 & 2 non canon basically

Somewhat darker story line. In terms of story, I just found it to be much better. If you go into Tamers from Season 1 and Season 2, the digital world feels more alien and primal and unknown. After Tamers all Digital Worlds feel like that, in Tamers it was fresh. Also the world was more at stake than "Im gonna rule the human world".
For me I was more appreciative of having a female protagonist that was more than "there" (I'm referring to Rika), and that they had more than 2 Megas (5 in total when you realize MarineAngemon is a Mega)

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhat darker story line. In terms of story, I just found it to be much better. If you go into Tamers from Season 1 and Season 2, the digital world feels more alien and primal and unknown. After Tamers all Digital Worlds feel like that, in Tamers it was fresh. Also the world was more at stake than "Im gonna rule the human world".
For me I was more appreciative of having a female protagonist that was more than "there" (I'm referring to Rika), and that they had more than 2 Megas (5 in total when you realize MarineAngemon is a Mega)
yeah the story was arguably more interesting especially for audiences a little older, but I just hate the fuckin fact that they made it a separate fuckin universe. i never got over that shit, there was no need for that

SaviourMK2

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CT
yeah the story was arguably more interesting especially for audiences a little older, but I just hate the fuckin fact that they made it a separate fuckin universe. i never got over that shit, there was no need for that

Well the continuity was already a complete mess. Especially since Ryo was from the Adventure universe.

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
Well the continuity was already a complete mess. Especially since Ryo was from the Adventure universe.
from what I understand, he was a protagonist in one of the video games and at the end of it, you have the option of choosing which universe to be a part of. that seems pretty straight forward to me but it falls in line with why i hate season 3 in the first place

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh man this might be my chance to finally get Appmon it's due...

YES! Everyone should watch Appmon. It's legit fun.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Appmon is great. I love the cast, and the ending is up there with the very best of them.

It doesn't make them non-canon. It's just set in a different universe.

People rate it so highly because of how great the writing is, as well as the sensational art direction. Tamers is definitely the best written Digimon series with the strongest themes.

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Appmon is great. I love the cast, and the ending is up there with the very best of them.

It doesn't make them non-canon. It's just set in a different universe.

People rate it so highly because of how great the writing is, as well as the sensational art direction. Tamers is definitely the best written Digimon series with the strongest themes.
I shouldn't have said non canon, that wasn't right. I don't think the writing was extraordinarily better than the previous although I did find it entertaining but I hate the fact that the universes were kept separate. That's just me personally.

GetDigitized

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like it'll be like danganronpa for the non battle portion of the game , I don't think that's a good fit for digimon but we only have the are minimum in information. If they can explore a more adult story because of it then I'm all for it.

Hopefully the vn part with a filter isn't the anime quality graphics they were talking about

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017