• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PaperSparrow

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
For Frontier, getting past the human/Digimon as a concept can already be too much, but the terrible last portion kills the ability to recommend it.

Which is too bad, because if you chuck your Digimon expectations out the door, up until the Royal Knights is pretty strong.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tamers=Savers>Adv01>Frontier>Appmon>XrossWars>Adv02>Young Hunters>>>>>AdvTri.

Am I wrong?

OP
OP
Stuart444

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
If we're doing this, for me, the ones I've actually seen

Adventure>Savers>Tamers>02>Tri>Frontier>>>>>The first half of Xros Wars before I dropped it.

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Adventure > Tamers > Savers >> Xros Wars > Frontier > Tri >> 02 > Boy Hunters > that dumb X movie

Tri does have the best character designs.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
1453650801184.gif

Welcome, Reseter!

Show Ranking
Love yourself: Tamers>Savers>Adventure=Appmon | Hate yourself: 02>Frontier>XrosWars>YoungHunters>Tri

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Tri >>>>>>>> Hunters. At least Tri will have some kind of continuation. Hunters was like an early cancellation and went in for a flashy climax.

wiill64

Oct 30, 2017
Tamers>Savers>Adventure=Appmon>Frontier>Xros Wars>02>Tri>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Young Hunters

I'm currently rewatching Appmon for the first time and I'm enjoying it even more on the second watch so I might end up putting it above Adventure.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
There have been teases of Digimon Adventure 4. Are you looking forward to that or would you rather have a new anime?

PaperSparrow

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Imo, Digimon is at its best when it constantly does new stuff. I find 02, Tri, and Young Hunters to be the weakest parts of the franchise.

On the other hand, Tamers, Savers, and Appmon are among the strongest and each took a risk in some way.

So I'd rather have a new anime. However, I won't complain if Adventure 4 ends up good and they give us a new Shakkoumon evolution.

OP
OP
Stuart444

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather have a new anime I guess BUT I love the Adventure characters so I wouldn't complain about a new Adventure. At worst, I'd rant about it after it's done and then rank it just above or just below Tri unless it's somehow really bad by my standards haha

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
Adventure>Tamers>Appmon>02>Frontier>Tri

…Still need to watch Savers. I never seem to have time & motivation to watch it. Word of mouth seems good for it tho.

Adventure 4 would be good if it would be, you know, good. Unlike Tri.

Oct 26, 2017
Tamers>Adventure>Savers>Xros Wars>Frontier>Tri>02>Young Hunters

I should really get on Appmon, but finding a place to watch it subbed seems to be a bit tricky.

Oct 25, 2017
My ranking: Tamers>Savers>Appmon>Adventure>Xros Wars>Frontier>02>Young Hunters

I don't think there's ever been a good sequel in this series, so another Adventure project is just completely uninteresting to me. Especially with Kakudou's comments.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
We signed up for it in the original spotlight thread. It's our turn on the schedule :)
ohhh so that's what it is huh, got it

can you or someone lemme know if the Tri story has been completed? If so I'll buy the whole series on Blu-ray to catch up. Only if it's completed though

OP
OP
Stuart444

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
ohhh so that's what it is huh, got it

can you or someone lemme know if the Tri story has been completed? If so I'll buy the whole series on Blu-ray to catch up. Only if it's completed though

Yes but not all out in English BD yet. Part 5 is out at the end of July, part 6 will be available by the end of the year*

*UK dates, America may have them earlier

OP
OP
Stuart444

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
i'm fine with that. so i'm guessing I will have to wait around ~thanksgiving for all 6 blu rays to be ready? i'm in the u.s btw

See my above post. I gave UK dates based on what is on Amazon UK.

Amazon US has part 5 listed for the start of August, Part 6 isn't listed yet.

In order on Amazon US:

https://www.amazon.com/Digimon-Adventure-Tri-Reunion-Blu-ray/dp/B06VSW8VLQ/

https://www.amazon.com/Digimon-Adventure-Tri-Determination-Blu-ray/dp/B0711CPGYL/

https://www.amazon.com/Digimon-Adventure-Tri-Confession-Blu-ray/dp/B075DXZSCH/

https://www.amazon.com/Digimon-Adventure-tri-Loss-Blu-ray/dp/B0794L61NC/

https://www.amazon.com/Digimon-Adventure-tri-Coexistence-Blu-ray/dp/B07D33GR54/

And the final one is called Future which isn't listed on Amazon US yet.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
fuck yeah! thank you sir, i'll wait closer to thanksgiving to buy these, maybe then the prices will be even nicer.

don't spoil nothing for me but if Tk x Kari does not happen by the end, I will go ballistic

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
My ranking:
Adventure>Tamers>Savers>Frontier>02=Xross S1>Tri>Young Hunters

I've only watched 15 episodes of Appli before getting sidetracked so I didn't rank it. Alot of my ranking depends on nostalgia too, though I recently went back to watch some of 01 and it still holds up.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
I've only watched 15 episodes of Appli before getting sidetracked so I didn't rank it.

I don't blame you, Appmon starts out a little vanilla. It's not easy to stick around for it to find its stride. But then it gets better and better with every episode, and suddenly you have the best final in franchise history unfolding on screen. Shit was wild. Please give the show another try, you really won't regret it.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
I don't blame you, Appmon starts out a little vanilla. It's not easy to stick around for it to find its stride. But then it gets better and better with every episode, and suddenly you have the best final in franchise history unfolding on screen. Shit was wild. Please give the show another try, you really won't regret it.
I'm definitely going to give it another shot soon. It just blended with S&M for me for awhile.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Tamers > Adventure > Savers > Frontier > Appli > 02 > Xros Wars > Boy Hunters

I like a lot of the stuff in Xros Wars, but I think it has the weakest story out of all the seasons whereas 02 has the dumbest story.

Tamers was too boring for me to put it near the top

US soundtrack > JPN for Tamers though
EVO and the sax version of Biggest Dreamer that plays in the Japanese version are amazing.

Oct 25, 2017
Where are you getting that idea from? All there has been is agumon in a tweet, I mean if we are going by that logic, it could just as well be savers 2.

Hiroyuki Kakudou (the director of Adventure and 02 who wasn't involved with tri) announced on twitter that he was going to be involved in the new project, but that he had resigned because his suggestions had been rejected and said that he had told the team working on it that what they were doing didn't have anything to do with the show he made.

So that pretty strongly implies that it's another Adventure anime and that it will be going even further away from the original series.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
Hiroyuki Kakudou (the director of Adventure and 02 who wasn't involved with tri) announced on twitter that he was going to be involved in the new project, but that he had resigned because his suggestions had been rejected and said that he had told the team working on it that what they were doing didn't have anything to do with the show he made.

So that pretty strongly implies that it's another Adventure anime and that it will be going even further away from the original series.
I guess, but it could just as easily be something else as well.

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't seen Xros Wars or Appmon but the rest for me in order:

Tamers - Fantastic show. Has no lows to the extent of any other season.
Savers - Only season (besides Tri) I watched subbed and not dubbed. I'm not much of a fan of the middle but the Royal Knight arc is maybe my favorite arc of any season.
Adventure - The dub hasn't aged super well but it's still pretty good.
Frontier - The first 2/3rds of Frontier would be above Adventure for me but the final arc is complete trash.
Tri - There's some good in Tri but so much of it is pretty bad.
02 - Don't watch it.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
The localized ps1 digimon card battle game.on ps1 was my crack as a kid
Yellow deck NiseDrimogemon ftw

RalchAC

Oct 27, 2017
For me it's: Adventure > Tamers >> Savers > 02 > Frontier >>>> Tri.

I love both Adventure and Tamers, but the emblems were IMO a genius storytelling device to use in a kid show in order to make character growth easy to understand.

For Frontier, getting past the human/Digimon as a concept can already be too much, but the terrible last portion kills the ability to recommend it.

Which is too bad, because if you chuck your Digimon expectations out the door, up until the Royal Knights is pretty strong.

Yeah, I remember it being kind of interesting. The characters showed proper growth in the earlier part of the series, but everything from the Royale Knights until the very end is as boring as it can be. You could summarize a lot of episodes with the following 4 sentences: The kids went somewhere. The Royal Knights went to that place. They fought. The kids lost. Repeat.

Imo, Digimon is at its best when it constantly does new stuff. I find 02, Tri, and Young Hunters to be the weakest parts of the franchise.

On the other hand, Tamers, Savers, and Appmon are among the strongest and each took a risk in some way.

So I'd rather have a new anime. However, I won't complain if Adventure 4 ends up good and they give us a new Shakkoumon evolution.

I need to watch Appmon, people here has praised it for a while and it sounds like an interesting reimagining of the original premise. I fully expect them to go to the "classic" Digital World in the middle of the series, but it can be interesting seeing it interact with these new and different species.

I agree with your post, overall. Frontier felt like a "well, people loved Tamers Megas, so lets give them 50 episodes of that" without realizing how important and special the partnership between the kids and their digimon is to the series. I've never had much of an interest in Xross Wars for the same reason, since I feel it dilutes that idea with the army concept, however, and I may be wrong with that one.

I don't have much to say about Frontier, but the biggest problem with Adventure 02 is that it doesn't know what it wants to be. At times, it wants to be something new and reduces the older Chosen Children as little more than glorified cameos. But a few episodes later, it decides that it wants to be a direct sequel to Adventure. Then the original CC eat the new ones for breakfast, because they're much better developed and charismatic characters than the new ones (but Ken), so the writters lose their shit and create an excuse out of nowhere to bring them back to the sidelines.

Despite of this, there is quite a bit of interesting stuff in 02, to give some examples:
  • BlackWarGreymon, to give the most praised example.
  • The part where they traveled all over the world and shown how there were Chosen Children everywhere was genius in a "you may get a Hogwarts letter in your 11th birthday" way.
  • The Daemon Corps could have been tied to the Dark Sea and the Dark Seeds and turn into a good end-game villain.
But it fails at crafting a cohesive series, because it's too busy in its own identity crisis. The sudden move from the Daemon Corps to fucking Myotismon shows both this and the utter lack of confidence the writters had in their own product IMO.

I'd still take it rather than Tri, however. I'd say that at least half of 02 is above average, even if flawed; but I'd burn everything but the 3rd Tri OVA. What a waste of time.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
So, I stopped watching Tri after the third "episode" I think. Anyone have a summary link/synopsis?

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
I wanted to like Tamers (I even gave it a second chance back on GAF) but it takes an *eternity* for the season to get going. It's so boring throughout the rest of the season once they get to the Digital World until they come back and things start happening and then things slow down to a crawl again.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Thinking back, I was a pretty edgy kid in the past, so Adventure and Tamer were my favorites.

Even as a kid, I hated whenever the characters were like "Don't kill the Digimons!", so Frontier was my least favorite of the 4 that I saw.

I do wish the human characters had more roles than just batteries and cheer-leading, that's one thing I prefer from Pokemon.

The Hobo

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have much to say about Frontier, but the biggest problem with Adventure 02 is that it doesn't know what it wants to be. At times, it wants to be something new and reduces the older Chosen Children as little more than glorified cameos. But a few episodes later, it decides that it wants to be a direct sequel to Adventure. Then the original CC eat the new ones for breakfast, because they're much better developed and charismatic characters than the new ones (but Ken), so the writters lose their shit and create an excuse out of nowhere to bring them back to the sidelines.

Despite of this, there is quite a bit of interesting stuff in 02, to give some examples:
  • BlackWarGreymon, to give the most praised example.
  • The part where they traveled all over the world and shown how there were Chosen Children everywhere was genius in a "you may get a Hogwarts letter in your 11th birthday" way.
  • The Daemon Corps could have been tied to the Dark Sea and the Dark Seeds and turn into a good end-game villain.
But it fails at crafting a cohesive series, because it's too busy in its own identity crisis. The sudden move from the Daemon Corps to fucking Myotismon shows both this and the utter lack of confidence the writters had in their own product IMO.

I'd still take it rather than Tri, however. I'd say that at least half of 02 is above average, even if flawed; but I'd burn everything but the 3rd Tri OVA. What a waste of time.

I think the 02 kids being able to travel to and from the Digital World is a big detriment to the show overall. Unlike the Adventure kids, who had to fight to survive even when not battling wild Digimon, the 02 kids simply hop into the Digital World for a couple of hours to take down a Dark Tower and head home to their families and warm beds. It really undercuts any tension that the show tries to build because they can simply retreat to the real world if needed, where danger can't follow.

If the show had established that they could enter the Digital World whenever they wanted, but would not be able to leave until the Dark Tower of the area was destroyed, it would have really helped the show feel like it had actual stakes and risks.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Y'know I never much cared for the moment where Tai gives his googles to Davis in 02, felt really unearned.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017

no, he said a plot decision they made didn't fit with one he made in 02.

Kakudou has a history of being notoriously difficult and not communicating with people about stuff he considered important.