• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
It doing well is great. It just sucks that I don't really have any interesting in the current show.

The show's problem really is it being primarily a commercial first, story second. The original series really didn't have many characters/lore/etc to go off, and just did their own thing, which is why the story worked so well. This doing the opposite is why it's the Taichi+Agumon show (where's Yamato now, even?)

I mean, can you imagine that the last Digimon series that involved Digimon being phone apps actually ended up being REALLY good? I think it exceeded everyone's expectations, because the premise alone felt very rolleyes to me, but once it got going it got really good and focused on the story/characters well.

So if anyone needs a break from this, I recommend: https://www.crunchyroll.com/digimon-universe-app-monsters

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Someone mentioned Appmon? I am contractually required to mention how amazing that season of the franchise was whenever someone does. Leaps ahead of the trash that is this season.

tumblr_ox6gjhkaDl1rhonhko3_500.gifv

WPS

Oct 25, 2017

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Ep 55

Another ok ep, and Rosemon is huuge this time! (Also end theme teases the true angel final evos, which I figured would happen, since this series does A LOT of alt. evos). OF COURSE Taichi Agumon have time to enroll into a school that sounded "fun" near the end of the show, when there are more pressing matters at hand. But... is it REALLY almost the end of the show? NOPE, TOEI RUNNING THIS TO THE GROUND (and reallllly utilizing the "anime as a commercial for the toys" on this).

OH GOODIE, WE ARE ALL EXCITE.

It's a huge ad for the TCG too. The decks literally confirmed the alt-evos.

GetDigitized

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a huge ad for the TCG too. The decks literally confirmed the alt-evos.
I think the Digivice: toy confirmed the evo's first. There's also a secret partner digimon which hasn't been shown in the anime yet, the other 2 secrets(whamon & eldoradimon) weren't actual partners so thats probably insignificant as well.

Toei is pushing Tai/Agumon so they can have poster child like Ash/Pikachu , I can't hate them for doing so since that works for other similar kids anime like Yokai Watch , but as an Adult it obviously sucks.
Other than Tri/Last Evolution I always don't take the anime too seriously since they are primarily aimed at young children .

CJohn

Oct 30, 2017
Sequel series??? Guess it explains why it feels this show is going nowhere with less than 10 episodes until the end.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
I will give it props for giving CresGarurumon an evo sequence (even if the fight was lackluster) and at least it had a better reason to be there than just "the environment did it"

Also lmao at next episode, Toei heard us complaining and decided to punish us by making hundreds of Tai copies

Last edited:

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Who knows :/ I think it's pretty popular in Japan and merch is selling well, so I'll give it at least another season. I doubt they will be rebooting 02 stuff, but then again maybe they will managed to push them in too, somehow. If Taichi/Agumon managed to show ep every ep, I kind of would be surprised to see Daisuke and co. just show up out of nowhere.

Not too sure about that, to be honest.

Although the producer's ambition was to bring the franchise back "for a new generation of children"; Toei Animation declared that the series "struggled to acquire new audiences of children" in May 2021.

The source in question if any Japanese speakers wanna do a deep dive.

Darkmark1987

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
The episode was pretty decent, but once again the blight that is tai had to appear. You know you have a problem when not even the second main character doesn't get to have an episode without him

Gengahrrr

Oct 25, 2017
I thought that was a nice call back to have Koji's original VA also voice Strabimon.

Also, Cresgarurumon is a Gold Saint and I'm glad it got a somewhat proper evolution sequence. That just makes the Blitzgreymon episode that much more of a poorly thought out mess.

Last edited:

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
0fcde9566ae8542e433c0e5c9c533606562872cb.gifv

Zanbamon straight up giving me PTSD from that damn swamp.

Also I really hate that furry sonic friend knock off edgy rabbit digimon

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Not too sure about that, to be honest.

The source in question if any Japanese speakers wanna do a deep dive.

Interesting... At least from what I've seen online, it's mostly older fans watching it (along with showing it to their own kids). The mentality with this show to make it so kid-focused is "kids'll watch anything!" I mean, the reason why Adventure got so popular, was that (despite silly dub changes) it was a more mature monster-based show that had a story, character growth, and dealt with things like characters dying for death. It did a lot to set itself apart from Pokemon, especially since it had no story to speak of really, from the original toy it was based on.

Now this, is indeed a cash-grab commercial with the "children focus" reminding me of cartoons from the 80s/90s, with so many sub-par shows just trying to sell toys :/ I kind of wonder if the sequel series with change up the feel of the show, since clearly what they are doing never pulled in the demographics they wanted :/

Ep 56

Not a bad ep, animation def cut here with most action scenes cut to still shots, and they still can't draw Digimon far away without looking like simple blobs (once Japanese Twitter kept pointing it out, I can't unsee it :x) I echo everyone above with CresGarurumon being nice to see, in comparison to new Greymon evos, since this one wasn't "just because". It's too bad animation budgets go strained, so you barely saw him in motion, though. HEY GUYS IT'S TAICHI! REMEMBER THAT GUY?! Seriously, we can't have ONE episode now with potential character growth like earlier on, without him teleporting in out of nowhere :/

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The kids are trying to figure out the "mystery of the crests", meanwhile Tai is being carried around by armour digimon that literally have the crest of knowledge on their forehead. Seems like a dumb confusing choice.

That one Tai being a little bit too okay with being choked got a chuckle out of me.

Fairly sure the main villain is
Wisemon. They were researching the crests etc before the kids were brought to the digital world and probably set events in motion in Tokyo to ensure this happened and Algomon stated that what they did this episode was an experiment, he probably released Burpmon on the tree as well and his eyes are the same colour as the villain shown at the end of the episode. Nothing makes him happier than the pursuit of knowledge and the kids are awakening all the secrets of the digital world

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Ep 57

Clearly all the selfish Taichis were the fakes. More "power of friendship" at work here :p Mostly filler, except "Algormon is watching us". So yawnnn.... Looks like next ep won't be anything special, unless it'll actually be Orphanimon/Ofanimon's appearance.

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere...

(Slide 14) They mentioned the lack of new children/viewers was due to the fact that the show started off at the same time as the lock down (2020/04). If they are renewing it in October, I assume it probably improved and no longer too bad? Though in that case they would've worded it differently since right underneath, they mentioned Sailor Moon Eternal had great earnings/numbers despite the lock down; referring to Jan-Feb 2021.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
(Slide 14) They mentioned the lack of new children/viewers was due to the fact that the show started off at the same time as the lock down (2020/04). If they are renewing it in October, I assume it probably improved and no longer too bad? Though in that case they would've worded it differently since right underneath, they mentioned Sailor Moon Eternal had great earnings/numbers despite the lock down; referring to Jan-Feb 2021.

I would've thought the opposite. At least, in the western world, so many people killed time during lockdowns by watching shows. You would think that it would've been the BEST time to get new/younger viewers.

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere...
I would've thought the opposite. At least, in the western world, so many people killed time during lockdowns by watching shows. You would think that it would've been the BEST time to get new/younger viewers.

I assume for children/new viewers, it requires a lot of word-of-mouth spreading during recess and breaks at schools to gain high popularity? With online learning, those socialization time get mostly cut out so they don't get the "boom".

A more enjoyable episode this week (57) but instead of hinting at the "big boss", they should actually advance the plot more substantially as build up. 9 more episodes to go until the new season...

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Ep 58

Not much to say with this one. Animation still not great, and Angewomon envoked her Ofanimon powers, but guess they didn't want to fully commit to an evo this time. There should be a meme at some point where Taichi just barges into a bunch of other franchises, like wow he wandered into this ep (surprise surprise!) and everyone just goes "Taichi?!"

CJohn

Oct 30, 2017
Poor Joe, seems to be the only one without his big evolution.

I am guessing the big angels will show up to fight the final boss.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Just don't get how is even Tai appearing everywhere does he take a shortcut or some shit? Some of the kids literally went on opposites sides of the world

Last edited:

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Just don't get how is even Tai appearing everywhere does he take a shortcut or some shit? Some of the kids literally went on opposites sides of each other

Especially on this ep. Literally just pulls a Homer by coming out of the bushes just... out of absolutely nowhere :x

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Ep 59

Koushiro: Agumon?!
*Taichi and Agumon... once again show up in the middle of someone elses' story arc*
Taichi: Yo! What a coincidence
Koushiro: Taichi?!

WHAT A COINCIDENCE INDEED, TAICHI?! ARE YOU FREAKIN OMNIPRESENT?! (I'm not even exaggerating, just like last weeks' entrance out of the bushes, this is the lines of dialog used...)

I was actually rooting for the villain of the ep, Nanomon, since he hosted a riddle-based escape room game for Koushiro, and everytime he got something wrong, a "friend would be taken away". HE TELEPORTED TAICHI AND AGUMON OUT!!! It actually made this ep not only bearable, but actually one of the better eps in the series!

I know Koushiro and his focused eps from the original series were fan-favorites, not for me personally, but this one I did enjoy and actually recommend seeing this one (as I actually paid full attention to it, too :p) The only thing that sucked was that HerakleKabuterimon got skimped out by having NO evolution sequence at all :/

Oh look at next ep, Vikemon finally getting in!

CJohn

Oct 30, 2017
This means this show will have an ending. I am honestly not interested in another new take. I would continue watching if it were a sequel to this one or a reboot of 02.

I am just not sure why are we getting a movie about 02 right now.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm a fair bit behind on the show, stopped around Ep 45 I believe, but reading impressions I'm starting to feel it's a better idea to just cut my losses and move on...

GetDigitized

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This means this show will have an ending. I am honestly not interested in another new take. I would continue watching if it were a sequel to this one or a reboot of 02.

I am just not sure why are we getting a movie about 02 right now.

I just think toei is out of touch with what the(at the very least western) fandom wants. Literally whatever they've done with Digimon in the past couple of years has made them tons of money, merch sales are through the roof etc. So they think whoever is in charge of the Digimon brand is doing something right, when in reality it was literally just Digimon fans growing up having money and being starved of traditional content.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Only 7 more episode of Taichi/Agumon ruining things... You have no idea how happy I am that there won't be a continuation to this reboot. I really, really interpreted "more Digimon" previous as "sequel for the reboot!!"

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
Only 7 more episode of Taichi/Agumon ruining things... You have no idea how happy I am that there won't be a continuation to this reboot. I really, really interpreted "more Digimon" previous as "sequel for the reboot!!"
Reading your posts get more and more cynical as the series went on has been enjoyable.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Reading your posts get more and more cynical as the series went on has been enjoyable.

I now understand what SW fans felt when they watched Episode I. I heard stories where people went back like 15 times just to feel something and nothing changed :/ Like, watching through Tri was a HUGE mix of emotions. Digimon is my all-time favorite franchise as a whole. There was a lot of Tri to enjoy, but at the same time... I dunno if I was just lying to myself or what with enjoying some plotpoints, the more I go back and think about some of the choices :p Watching through Kizuna was similar where I just felt... conflicted, even moreso. Then came Adventure...

I really did enjoy how Adventure opened up, and with how some of the characters (like Mimi) had changed this time around. But the more and more I dug into it, did I feel like I was the only one left watching through (since I pretty much always finish the shows I start). I went through a bunch of stages, between denial and whatnot to acceptance that... it is what it is, sadly :/ Became a chore to get through and just found myself on my phone and loosely paying full attention, the more fillerish and Taichi-filled the eps became :/

You can expect me in a (most likely) better mood during the new series' OT :p

Brickhunt

Feb 4, 2018
Brazil
It's really sad how this reboot turned out. Despite the opening sequence's red flag, essentially only featuring Taichi, I still had hope the other characters would get their fair share. The second red flag was when I realized only Taichi and Matt were getting actual digievolution sequences while there rest were stuck with lower-quality sequences. Then my personal nail in the coffin was that fucking episode in which the the rest were hiding and talking to each other how awesome Taichi is while only he and Matt were fighting that mega digimon and pulled out a Deus Ex Machina Omnimon...for the 2nd time! The 'Taichi showing up every single episode' festival was just extra salt and vinegar in the wound.

I believe there was a decent show hidden in this mess, specially when the focus was on the other children, but the Taichi-focus really ruined and soured the show for me. It did not ruin my memories and experiences original show, but I'm genuinely sick of Taichi and I hope he does not show up in the 02 movie (Who am I kidding, of course he will)